Terror attacks in Sri Lanka

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Terror attacks in Sri Lanka

Post by Elheru Aran »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-04-30 12:18pm Question: How does Israel, which is smack in the Middle East and also has a significant Muslim population, handle this issue?
As far as I know (Ace Pace would probably have a more authoritative answer) they don't regulate the niqab/burqa. It would be a bit hypocritical considering the Jewish religious requirement to cover one's head anyway. There are the usual security requirements, I'm sure, such as not wearing them into banks or whatever.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2019-04-30 02:34pm
Broomstick wrote: 2019-04-30 12:18pm Question: How does Israel, which is smack in the Middle East and also has a significant Muslim population, handle this issue?
As far as I know (Ace Pace would probably have a more authoritative answer) they don't regulate the niqab/burqa. It would be a bit hypocritical considering the Jewish religious requirement to cover one's head anyway. There are the usual security requirements, I'm sure, such as not wearing them into banks or whatever.
You can wear anything anywhere. Israel does not regulate how you dress in any place excepting religious areas, where you will not be turned away but you will be heavily pressured to wear proper dress.
You may be required to to allow security guard to perform extra checks. Security measures include human beings who will manually check you/pat you down/check your ID.

Also, don't forget that security wise, Israel is *not* an equal society. Arabs are openly discriminated against in security measures.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

wautd wrote: 2019-04-30 08:29am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-30 07:57am All people are created equal, and should be equal under the law" applies to them.
Agreed, and in my country it's not allowed to hide your identity in public. Which is why it would be fucking stupid to give religious fundamentalists more rights than everybody else
Sure, enforce the law evenly. But also do not pass laws that will infringe on some groups more than others if you can avoid it and then call it "fair".

Also, unless your country arrests little kids in Halloween masks, I very much doubt the law is enforced impartially.

No one is arguing for "special rights" (that favorite bogey-man of the Right) here. Only equality.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Well it became a crime to wear masks at protests in France recently, so soon there will be a society where any concealment is criminalized, regardless of the grounds.

Not sure that this is good, though.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Christians in Sri Lanka are now attacking Muslims. If the terrorists intended to force a conflict, they look like they are succeeding so far.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/viol ... b085f005ca
Two men have been arrested as tensions continue to rise between Christian and Muslim groups in the Sri Lankan town where one of the Easter bombings took place.

St Sebastian’s church in Negombo, a Catholic-dominated town, was one of the locations targeted as part of a series of suicide bombings last month that killed more than 250 people.

Since the Negombo bombing there have been increasingly violent clashes in the seaside town, with Muslim-owned shops, homes and vehicles attacked and vandalised.

The attacks, believed to be carried out by a mostly-Catholic mob, have become so bad hundreds of extra troops were deployed to the town to impose a curfew on residents.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.