Armed vigilante militia detains almost 300 people at the Mexican border. ACLU charges kidnapping.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Armed vigilante militia detains almost 300 people at the Mexican border. ACLU charges kidnapping.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/19/us/borde ... index.html
(CNN)A militia group near the US-Mexico border detained hundreds of people this week, New Mexico's attorney general told CNN.

"My office has been informed that this week, an armed group has detained nearly 300 people near Sunland Park, New Mexico," Attorney General Hector Balderas said in a written statement. "These individuals should not attempt to exercise authority reserved for law enforcement."

Videos posted online purportedly showing migrants held by the United Constitutional Patriots group and handed over to the US Border Patrol drew swift condemnation from the American Civil Liberties Union of New Mexico.

"We cannot allow racist and armed vigilantes to kidnap and detain people seeking asylum," the ACLU said in a letter to state authorities denouncing the actions and asking the government to step in. "We urge you to immediately investigate this atrocious and unlawful conduct."

CNN has reached out to the United Constitutional Patriots for comment.

The New York Times reported that a spokesman for the militia group said their actions were legal, "comparing the detention of the migrants to 'a verbal citizen's arrest.'"

Various private militia groups -- often espousing anti-immigrant views -- have patrolled the border for years.

But it's rare to see video of an armed group detaining migrants on the US side of the border.

Authorities say they're looking into videos posted on the United Constitutional Patriots New Mexico Border Ops Facebook page.
CNN has reached out to the group and the individuals who posted the videos for comment but has not confirmed details about who shot the videos, or when and where they were recorded.

A member of United Constitutional Patriots is pictured patrolling near Mt. Christo Rey in Sunland Park, New Mexico, on March 20, 2019.
A member of United Constitutional Patriots is pictured patrolling near Mt. Christo Rey in Sunland Park, New Mexico, on March 20, 2019.
The videos purport to show members of the group detaining migrants, including families with children, who've just crossed the border.
They show people often in full military fatigues, with handguns strapped to their sides, wearing gloves and black face masks. Armed men order migrants to stop, force them to sit on the ground and then apparently call Border Patrol to pick them up. At least two videos posted on the group's Facebook page depict a man in fatigues verbally identifying himself as "Border Patrol" as he stops a group of migrants.

Asked about the United Constitutional Patriots and the videos the group has posted online, a US Customs and Border Protection spokesman declined to comment on the group itself or the social media posts, but said the agency "does not endorse or condone private groups or organizations taking enforcement measures into their own hands."

"Interference by civilians in law enforcement matters could have public safety and legal consequences for all parties involved," the spokesman said in a written statement, referring those who suspect illegal activity to call 911 or contact the agency directly. "Border Security operations are complex and require highly trained professionals with adequate resources to protect the country."
And a CBP spokesman said the agency is looking into videos posted in which a member of the group appears to claim he works for the Border Patrol.

A statement on the United Constitutional Patriots' Facebook page describes the group as "Americans that believe in the Constitution and the rights of every American that will stand up for there rights in unity and help keep America safe."

"We're just here to support the Border Patrol and show the public the reality of the border," spokesman Jim Benvie told The New York Times, noting that his group had been camped near El Paso, Texas, for the past two months and intends to stay until President Trump's planned border wall is built.

But Border Patrol officials are distancing themselves from the group.

"We have contact with them, but they do not work with us. They do not work alongside us," one Border Patrol official said.
When it comes to protecting the border and making arrests, that authority is "strictly for Border Patrol and Customs and Border Protection," the official said, saying he hasn't seen anyone from the militia group attempt to make an arrest.

"By law, they cannot conduct an arrest," the official said. "If they do, then somebody needs to do something about it."
Governor's office calls threatening migrants 'unacceptable'

A spokesman for New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said state and local authorities are looking into the matter.

"They have absolutely not been authorized by our office or any other. We are actively working with the AG's Office, state police and local police to determine what has gone on and what can and will be done," said Tripp Stelnicki, a spokesman for the governor. "That migrant families might be menaced or threatened in any way, shape or form is completely unacceptable."

Peter Simonson, executive director for the ACLU of New Mexico, told CNN that while militia groups have patrolled near the border before, now such groups feel empowered by rhetoric they hear from the White House.

"We concede that these groups have a freedom to associate, to assemble, freedom to speech and our state gun laws do give them ability to carry weapons," Simonson said. But the ACLU's key concern, he said, is that private armed citizens are "taking it upon themselves to carry out justice and not allowing federal authorities to do their job."

"These people are armed, their intentions are misguided and they certainly don't have training, much less any authority, to be conducting arrests and long-term detentions of people coming across the border," Simonson said. "We are concerned this is such a potentially explosive situation, we are worried someone is going to get hurt."

CNN's Carma Hassan contributed to this report.
This is... I thought I was past the point where this shit could shock me, but this does.

This IS kidnapping, plain and simple. These aren't cops, they aren't even soldiers. They're a private militia of thugs arresting people at gunpoint for the "crime" of being brown or foreign. If this is allowed to stand, then there is no rule of law, and it is probably only a matter of time before we see hundreds of people put in a mass grave by these fuckers.

These are Trump's brown shirts, the men he will use to try to keep power by force of arms- and put anyone who's the "wrong" skin color, nationality, or political affiliation in the ground.

If the Federal government won't do anything about these fuckers, then state governments on the border should deploy their National Guard against these terrorists as armed insurrectionists. Give them one warning. Then shoot to kill.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Armed vigilante militia detains almost 300 people at the Mexican border. ACLU charges kidnapping.

I will add that the fact that the sitting PotUS who incites and condones this sort of insurrectionist, terroristic behavior is the strongest possible argument for the necessity of impeachment.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Armed vigilante militia detains almost 300 people at the Mexican border. ACLU charges kidnapping.

Post by madd0ct0r »

I cant see anything good coming this. This is one bored week of blue balls away from a gang rape.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2019-04-20 04:36am I cant see anything good coming this. This is one bored week of blue balls away from a gang rape.
Uhm.

Not that that isn't possible, but it seems weird that it's apparently the first thing that crosses your mind here.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Edit: never mind, I thought they may have had legal authority to conduct a citizens arrest, apparently not. I guess crossing over the border illegally isn’t a criminal offence in the US?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Ralin wrote: 2019-04-20 04:47am
madd0ct0r wrote: 2019-04-20 04:36am I cant see anything good coming this. This is one bored week of blue balls away from a gang rape.
Uhm.

Not that that isn't possible, but it seems weird that it's apparently the first thing that crosses your mind here.

Bunch of men with a superiority complex, weapons and a position of power over people while being out in the middle of no-where with no oversight?
It's the combination of boredom, sexual frustration, resentment, dehumanising the immos, and resentment of the poor target for being attractive non the less.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Tribble wrote: 2019-04-20 06:17am Edit: never mind, I thought they may have had legal authority to conduct a citizens arrest, apparently not. I guess crossing over the border illegally isn’t a criminal offence in the US?
Of course crossing the border illegally is illegal, but it doesn't necessarily follow that Hillybilly McCousinfucker can take his AR-15 and go play soldier. Citizen's arrest is something that varies by state in terms of what is permitted. And the Governor of New Mexico is being pretty emphatic that this is outside of what is permitted in the State of New Mexico.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Tribble wrote: 2019-04-20 06:17am Edit: never mind, I thought they may have had legal authority to conduct a citizens arrest, apparently not. I guess crossing over the border illegally isn’t a criminal offence in the US?
Citizens arrest has very strict limits in most of the us you can't citizens arrest someone for jaywalking or traffic citations it has to be a felony in most states and still more say just some felony's (No arresting someone for felony tax evasion for example)

That's why the Minutemen and other's border militia groups standard SOP for decades now is....
1. See the illegal immigration suspects
2. Report the illegal immigration suspects to border patrol
3. Follow the illegal immigration suspects
4. Let border patrol handle the arrest

Anything else can open them up to kidnapping and harassment charges since you know, you don't have to have your papers on you in America.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Mr Bean wrote: 2019-04-20 07:44am
Citizens arrest has very strict limits in most of the us you can't citizens arrest someone for jaywalking or traffic citations it has to be a felony in most states and still more say just some felony's (No arresting someone for felony tax evasion for example)

That's why the Minutemen and other's border militia groups standard SOP for decades now is....
1. See the illegal immigration suspects
2. Report the illegal immigration suspects to border patrol
3. Follow the illegal immigration suspects
4. Let border patrol handle the arrest

Anything else can open them up to kidnapping and harassment charges since you know, you don't have to have your papers on you in America.
Right, which is why I recanted my statement. I’m not certain on US citizen arrest powers, particularly since criminal law is split between the states and federal government.

I’m not certain if Canadians could affect a citizens arrest for crossing over the border illegally either. While citizens may arrest for hybrid/ indictable criminal offences I’m not sure that would qualify.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I don't believe Citizens can arrest for illegal immigration in Canada.

Quite frankly, we have no way of verifying if a crossing is illegal. That takes detaining the suspect (kidnapping, false confinement), and access to government data systems.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Solauren wrote: 2019-04-20 11:44am I don't believe Citizens can arrest for illegal immigration in Canada.

Quite frankly, we have no way of verifying if a crossing is illegal. That takes detaining the suspect (kidnapping, false confinement), and access to government data systems.
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to cross a border at a none border station, or without immediately declaring yourself to the immigration authority of a country. Unless you're in a free travel zone like the EU? Maybe?

That said, a citizen's arrest on a federal crime is like... I don't even know. I've made about a dozen citizen's arrest while I worked armed security, but those were for felonies or violent misdemeanors. This shit?

This shit is a bunch of numbnut skullfuckers going out, playing at Border Patrol and are gonna get into a fucking shoot out with some coyotes some day if they're lucky. As it is, they need to be fully charged and prosecuted. It's one thing to go to the border and be one of those 'patriot patrols' or whatever they were called and contact BP when a group crosses, I've got no problem with that, extra eyes. But trying to engage with people illegally crossing is something completely different.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Agent Fisher wrote: 2019-04-20 05:12pm
Solauren wrote: 2019-04-20 11:44am I don't believe Citizens can arrest for illegal immigration in Canada.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to cross a border at a none border station, or without immediately declaring yourself to the immigration authority of a country.
True.

However, in the middle of a city say, 20 miles from the border, how would anyone reasonably know?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Illegal entry is not in of its self a crime under Canadian law, so practically speaking, nobody would be entitled to make a citizen's arrest on it. For it to be a crime you could citizen arrest on, you'd have to personally witness not only an illegal entry but the entree also failing to latter proceed to a port of entry to report. Basically you'd have to follow them around .
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Some good news: The FBI has arrested the head of the militia in question for being a felon in possession of a weapon:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ad ... ins-united
The FBI arrested the head of an armed right-wing "patriot" group that had detained hundreds of migrants at the New Mexico border on Saturday for being a felon in possession of a weapon.

Larry Mitchell Hopkins, 69, was arrested on a federal complaint charging him with being a felon in possession of firearms and ammunition, the FBI said. He was arrested near the New Mexico border with the assistance of the Sunland Park Police Department.

The arrest of Hopkins, who is referred to as "the commander" of the United Constitutional Patriots and goes by the alias Johnny Horton Jr., was hailed by New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas.

“This is a dangerous felon who should not have weapons around children and families,” Balderas said in a statement. “Today's arrest by the FBI indicates clearly that the rule of law should be in the hands of trained law enforcement officials, not armed vigilantes.”

The Flora Vista, New Mexico resident was previously arrested in 2006 in Klamath County, Oregon, facing charges for impersonating a peace officer and two charges of a felon in possession of a firearm, according to court records. He ended up pleading no contest to a charge of impersonating a peace officer and guilty to felony possession of a firearm.

Hopkins is expected to make his first court appearance in US District Court in Las Cruces, New Mexico on Monday morning.

Chuck Davis, head of intelligence for the militia, posted on Facebook that Hopkins, who he referred to as "the commander," had been arrested at base camp.

"They set him up they are trying to use his past from 50 years ago," Davis said. "The commander needs all patriot to come to his aid."

United Constitutional Patriots came under scrutiny this week after the group posted videos of its members detaining large groups of migrants near the border city of Sunland Park, New Mexico. The footage depicted militia members detaining people, many of them children, while armed.

Members of the group have been camped near the border since November, hoping to shut off the flow of immigrants crossing the border they have described as an "invasion," echoing the hardline rhetoric by President Trump. Leaders say in that time they've detained more than 3,000 migrants.

State and local officials issued warnings to the group after videos suggested members were stopping immigrants at gunpoint, wearing badges, and falsely identifying themselves as law enforcement.

In at least one of the videos posted online by the militia, a person is heard yelling at migrants, "Policia!" or "Police," in heavily accented Spanish before detaining the border crossers. Cheney said the person yelling, "must have been one of the immigrants."

On Friday, United Constitutional Patriots was cut off from its online fundraising efforts after crowdfunding giants PayPal and GoFundMe shut down the militia's accounts.

The group has used the thousands of dollars donated online to supply food, gasoline, propane, and a portable toilet at a camp in Sunland Park, New Mexico, but by Friday members of the militia learned they would no longer be able to use PayPal or GoFundMe to raise money.

Salvador Hernandez contributed additional reporting to this story.
The dip shit also has a history of impersonating a police officer. Guess that's how he lives out his HARD MAN tough guy power fantasies.

Paypal and GoFundMe have also cut the group's funding:

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/4 ... d-migrants
PayPal and GoFundMe announced Friday that they will no longer allow an armed militia group that was seen on social media video confronting migrants at the border to raise funds on their platforms.

A PayPal spokesperson told BuzzFeed News in a statement that the United Constitutional Patriots had been banned from their platform following viral video of the group rounding up nearly 200 migrants who had recently crossed the border near Sunland Park, N.M., and were attempting to seek asylum.

"The account associated with United Constitutional Patriots has been closed due to a violation of our Acceptable Use Policy," the spokesperson told BuzzFeed News. "We do not allow PayPal services to be used to promote hate, violence, or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory."

The leader of the militia, Mark Cheney, separately confirmed to BuzzFeed that GoFundMe had also frozen the group's accounts.

"They killed us," Cheney told the outlet. "I have to find some other way for people to donate."

"This campaign was removed from the platform because it was found to be in violation of GoFundMe terms and conditions," a GoFundMe spokesperson said when asked for comment.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has written to leaders in New Mexico calling on them to take action to prevent the militia from threatening migrant families.

“We cannot allow racist and armed vigilantes to kidnap and detain people seeking asylum,” ACLU attorneys wrote to New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham (D).

Lujan Grisham responded Friday, saying that it was "completely unacceptable that migrant families “might be menaced or threatened in any way, shape or form when they arrive at our border.”

“It should go without saying that regular citizens have no authority to arrest or detain anyone,” she added in a statement.
The Judoon wrote:Justice Is Swift.
:twisted:

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The complaint against the militia leader:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... 10e8b.html
In October 2017, the FBI Public Access Line (PAL) recieved reports of alleged militia extremist activity in Flora Vista, New Mexico.
Information was conveyed relating to a group that called itself the United Constitutional Patriots, located at Lakeside Ranch Trailer Park in Flora Vista, NM. The United Constitutional Patriots was led by their so-called "commander," Larry Hopkins, who also went by the alias of Johnny Horton, Jr. Information also conveyed that the group had its "base" at Hopkin's residence, was supported by approximately 20 members, and was armed with AK-47 rifles and other firearms. Witnesses reported seeing members of the United Constitutional Patriots bearing firearms at Hopkins's residence. Hopkins also allegedly made the statement that the United Constitutional Patriots were training to assassinate George Soros, Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama, because of these individuals' support of Antifa.
They knew this for a year and a half and did jack?
On December 15, 2006, in Docket Number 0602795CR, in the Klamath County Circuit Court, State of Oregon, Hopkins was convicted of criminal impersonation of a peace officer and sentenced to twenty (20) days in jail and twenty-four (24) months' probation.
Subsequent to search of Hopkins's residence, I contacted the ATF and determined that none of the firearms recovered were manufactured in New Mexico and thereby by being recovered in New Mexico, had moved in or affected interstate commerce.
Based on the foregoing, there is probable cause to believe that Larry Mitchell Hopkins did violate 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(1), possession of a firearm by a person previously convicted of a crime punishable by a term of imprisonment exceeding one year.