Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire

Post by Agent Fisher »

Tribble wrote: 2019-04-15 04:57pm And as you can guess I don’t believe that whatever happens it must continue to be a place for worshiping a fictional deity.
Well, considering it was an active church, and likely owned by the Catholic Church, I think it’s safe to say it’s going to be restored to a place of worship once more.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Agent Fisher wrote: 2019-04-15 05:04pm
Tribble wrote: 2019-04-15 04:57pm And as you can guess I don’t believe that whatever happens it must continue to be a place for worshiping a fictional deity.
Well, considering it was an active church, and likely owned by the Catholic Church, I think it’s safe to say it’s going to be restored to a place of worship once more.
Which is lovely, but I don’t have to agree with it. It’s my personal opinion, that’s all.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Of course. Just understand that your opinion comes off a little douchey while the place is still burning.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yeah.
Agent Fisher wrote: 2019-04-15 05:04pm
Yup. I'd imagine that's the Catholic Church's call, not the French government's or anyone else's.

Hopefully it also means that the Catholic Church will foot at least part of the bill for the restoration, rather than it all being on the French tax payers. (For that matter, odd question, but is it insured? I assume so.)

Though given its significance culturally and religiously, you could probably crowdfund the restoration if you had to.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

If one or both belltowers collapse then rebuilding might be a moot point - aside from the damage caused by a collapsing building, there are literal tons of bronze bells suspended in those towers. Imagine what 12,000 kg of falling bronze (the larges of the bells, the bourdon Emmanual) can do to a structure already damaged by fire....
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Oh, the French Government owns the building, the Catholic Church just has religious rights to it in perpetuity. Still, I imagine there will be a massive fundraising effort by catholics to restore it.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

https://twitter.com/Guillaume_Alv/statu ... 2418778112
"The fire has decreased in intensity, for now the structure should hold, especially the North Tower."
(Translated by a poster on another forum.)

The roof's a complete loss, the south face is going to need the (19th century replica) stained glass windows replacing and cleanup is generally going to be a total bitch, but it looks like the building is going to be repairable.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Agent Fisher wrote: 2019-04-15 05:12pm Oh, the French Government owns the building, the Catholic Church just has religious rights to it in perpetuity. Still, I imagine there will be a massive fundraising effort by catholics to restore it.
If the building is gone, does the Catholic Church retain religious rights to the property in perpetuity?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-15 05:13pm
Agent Fisher wrote: 2019-04-15 05:12pm Oh, the French Government owns the building, the Catholic Church just has religious rights to it in perpetuity. Still, I imagine there will be a massive fundraising effort by catholics to restore it.
If the building is gone, does the Catholic Church retain religious rights to the property in perpetuity?
*shrugs as he is not an expert in, what would that even be, religious/French state law interactions?*

Complete pull out of my ass guess? Yes?
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Agent Fisher wrote: 2019-04-15 05:07pm Of course. Just understand that your opinion comes off a little douchey while the place is still burning.
Oh I’m sure it comes off as a lot douchey, it’s just what my mind jumped to for whatever reason.

To be clear, I’m not happy to see the place burned to the ground, and it was on my list of must sees. Again I get the historical and cultural significance and the loss it represents to a lot of people.

And to be fair, I would be saying more or less the same thing if a culturally significant building where I live was burning to the ground. Though tbh I’m not sure Toronto even has any. I am an equal opportunity douchebag.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

You can dislike the religion but admire the craftmanship, the engineering, the long-term planning, and everything else required to build and maintain such a building.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

<sigh> A sad sight. I've been there, once — the whole family went on holiday for a fortnight in Paris 30-odd years ago, and we spent an afternoon in Notre Dame. I wish now I could remember more of that visit.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'm glad I took pictures of my visit. Not sure exactly where they are at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I still have them.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-04-15 05:51pm You can dislike the religion but admire the craftmanship, the engineering, the long-term planning, and everything else required to build and maintain such a building.
Oh i agree. I may dislike why it was built, who it was built for and what its purpose is for but that doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s a marvellous piece of craftsmanship and engineering.

Good to hear that some items were safely secured and that it just might be repairable.
Last edited by Tribble on 2019-04-15 05:59pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Agent Fisher wrote: 2019-04-15 05:16pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-15 05:13pm
*shrugs as he is not an expert in, what would that even be, religious/French state law interactions?*

Complete pull out of my ass guess? Yes?
Eh, its probably academic. Its not like the government of a predominantly French democracy would dare refuse to let the Catholic Church rebuild on the site.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Tribble wrote: 2019-04-15 05:56pmGood to hear that some items were safely secured and that it just might be repairable.
That sort of project can take decades. I doubt I'd live long enough to see it restored.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

French President Emmanuel Macron has promised to rebuild Notre Dame Cathedral and says he is seeking international help to restore the Paris landmark.

Macron said after the French capital’s fire chief announced the emergency response had changed into a monitoring and mop-up operation, “The worst has been avoided although the battle is not yet totally won.”

Macron said a national fundraising campaign to restore Notre Dame would be launched Tuesday and he called on the world’s “greatest talents” to help.

The French leader credited the “courage” and “great professionalism” of firefighters with sparing Notre Dame’s facade and two landmark towers from being destroyed.
Link.
The spire is gone, but the towers are still standing. The closest I came to visiting the cathedral was within Assassin's Creed Unity, looking back I never really appreciated how enormous the structure actually was, until now.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I was able to visit last year and am glad I got the chance. It was my wife’s second visit, but unfortunatelymy son was to young to remember the visit.

I am glad to hear a large portion of the interior items were saved and/or off sight.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, that could have been much, much worse. No other buildings burned from what I've heard, no fatalities, and much of the outside, including the iconic facade, is still standing, with a lot of the artifacts off-site and intact.

Its still a tragic loss, and it'll be years before its open to the public again, but it could have been much worse.

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I’ve seen some pictures from inside and it appears a good bit of the inside of the exterior walls has much of its details largely intact as well. It looks like much of the interior statuary is in good condition to.

One of the benefits of the design is that all the individual chapels arrayed around the perimeter were not under the main roof, and they contain much of not most of the more elaborate and detailed artwork on site.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It looks like where the stone vault held up what was below survived, at least in part. Where the vault gave way the fire came through.

But yes, it could have been worse.

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Picture of the interior. This could have been MUCH worse than it was.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I think a round of applause is in order to the Parisian firefighters who managed to save so much of the building, keep the fire contained, and do it without any loss of human life.

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I had a hard time believing it until a saw the pictures. Absolutely terrible
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I suspect that the people cheering about the interior have never had to deal with soot and water damage - the basic stone still stands, but there is still an enormous amount of clean-up to do.