Brunei to punish gay sex and adultery with death by stoning

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Brunei to punish gay sex and adultery with death by stoning

Post by wautd »

(CNN)
A new law which comes into effect from next week will punish homosexual sex and adultery with death in the small southeast Asian kingdom of Brunei.

Beginning on April 3, any individuals found guilty of the offenses will be stoned to death, according to a new penal code. The punishment will be "witnessed by a group of Muslims."
The country's strict new laws were announced in 2014, and have been rolled out gradually. The latest phase of implementation, including the brutal new provisions, was quietly announced on the Brunei attorney general's website on December 29, 2018.
Human rights groups were quick to express horror at the penal code, which will also order amputation as a punishment for theft.
"Brunei must immediately halt its plans to implement these vicious punishments, and revise its Penal Code in compliance with its human rights obligations. The international community must urgently condemn Brunei's move to put these cruel penalties into practice," Rachel Chhoa-Howard, Brunei Researcher at Amnesty International, said in a statement.

There was a broad international outcry when Brunei became the first country in the region to adopt sharia law in 2014, an Islamic legal system which outlines strict corporal punishments.
The tiny, oil-rich kingdom of just over 450,000 people is located on the island of Borneo, close to moderate Islamic nations of Indonesia and Malaysia.
In comparison to its neighbors, Brunei has grown conservative in recent years, including banning the sale of alcohol.
The new penal code was announced in May 2014, by the Sultan of Brunei, Hassanal Bolkiah, who also acts as the country's prime minister. In announcing the change, government's website quoted the Sultan saying that his government "does not expect other people to accept and agree with it, but that it would suffice if they just respect the nation in the same way that it also respects them."
Lest we forget that sharia is a crime against humanity
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Brunei to punish gay sex and adultery with death by stoning

Post by K. A. Pital »

Members of the British Commonwealth and good friends of the First World.

“Member states ...united by ... their shared values of ... human rights and the rule of law”. Ouch.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

K. A. Pital wrote: 2019-03-28 06:30am Members of the British Commonwealth and good friends of the First World.

“Member states ...united by ... their shared values of ... human rights and the rule of law”. Ouch.
I mean, if the Commonwealth responded by expelling them and sanctioning them, you call that evil Western imperialism too.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

wautd wrote: 2019-03-28 04:27amLest we forget that sharia is a crime against humanity
What a horribly racist Western-supremacist culturally imperialist insensitive viewpoint, turn in your intersectional inclusion badge right now.

I joke but there's an episode going on in the UK at the moment where primary schools in parts of Birmingham with large Islamic populations have parents protesting and pulling children out because of lessons explaining the existence of homosexual families and parents. Standard fundamentalist bigotry, but of course the current snowflake generation wildly overreacted with 'LGBT people have never been more vulnerable' and assorted wailing on social media. Because some stranger's children skipping lessons in a primary school is somehow worse than homosexuality being illegal (as late as 1967) and violently persecuted (for at least a couple of decades afterwards). Anyway the Guardian virtue-signalling liberal crowd literally don't know what to do, it's 'two persecuted minorities that are tragically in conflict with each other instead of teaming up against the off-white capitaloculturalpatriarchperialism' (paraphrased :) ).
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Starglider wrote: 2019-03-30 05:09pm
wautd wrote: 2019-03-28 04:27amLest we forget that sharia is a crime against humanity
What a horribly racist Western-supremacist culturally imperialist insensitive viewpoint, turn in your intersectional inclusion badge right now.

I joke but there's an episode going on in the UK at the moment where primary schools in parts of Birmingham with large Islamic populations have parents protesting and pulling children out because of lessons explaining the existence of homosexual families and parents. Standard fundamentalist bigotry, but of course the current snowflake generation wildly overreacted with 'LGBT people have never been more vulnerable' and assorted wailing on social media. Because some stranger's children skipping lessons in a primary school is somehow worse than homosexuality being illegal (as late as 1967) and violently persecuted (for at least a couple of decades afterwards). Anyway the Guardian virtue-signalling liberal crowd literally don't know what to do, it's 'two persecuted minorities that are tragically in conflict with each other instead of teaming up against the off-white capitaloculturalpatriarchperialism' (paraphrased :) ).
I'm not sure about don't knownwhat to do. I've not seen anything except condemnation of the parents as idiots except from tory Rudd
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

It's almost like Starglider wants a pretext to mock people for being vocally against racism and for gay rights and he figures this is good way to do that at a remove so he has enough plausible deniability to avoid getting modded for it.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I see Starglider is trolling again. He‘s quite active when it comes to these issues. Sounds a bit snowflakey to moi. So what is the solution, Starglider? Bomb Brunei? ;) Or... bomb Birmingham?!
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am going against the grain here, and actually sort of defend Starglider.

This accusation has been thrown around against the Left, particularly feminists that they defend Islam even if Islam has values antithetical to the Left. I think what would be good discussion is if Starglider actually put forward his arguments in a separate thread.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Starglider wrote: 2019-03-30 05:09pm

I joke but there's an episode going on in the UK at the moment where primary schools in parts of Birmingham with large Islamic populations have parents protesting and pulling children out because of lessons explaining the existence of homosexual families and parents.
I heard about it yes. And after seeing how many people are minimizing or applauding for something as barbaric as stoning on the comment sections on news sites it shows these classes are more needed than ever. Children aren't born homophobic. It's when they become brainwashsed in homophobic ideologies or religions
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-04-01 06:29am I am going against the grain here, and actually sort of defend Starglider.

This accusation has been thrown around against the Left, particularly feminists that they defend Islam even if Islam has values antithetical to the Left. I think what would be good discussion is if Starglider actually put forward his arguments in a separate thread.
It could be a good discussion and no need to actually go into a different thread. Islam is not unique in its antihomosexual stance, this is common to all abrahamic faiths.

Most feminists and left-wingers I know are atheists who disparage religious beliefs, although still allowing such beliefs to be held as a private matter.

Assalti Frontali
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

One would think that a middle ground could be found where people could follow the basic tenets of their faith without resorting to inhuman acts? And that if they are incapable of doing so, expressing disapproval is the appropriate reaction?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2019-04-01 02:28pm One would think that a middle ground could be found where people could follow the basic tenets of their faith without resorting to inhuman acts? And that if they are incapable of doing so, expressing disapproval is the appropriate reaction?
Ahh. The c of e route.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2019-04-01 03:16pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2019-04-01 02:28pm One would think that a middle ground could be found where people could follow the basic tenets of their faith without resorting to inhuman acts? And that if they are incapable of doing so, expressing disapproval is the appropriate reaction?
Ahh. The c of e route.
Is there anything actually wrong with what I said? If so, point it out.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

C of e = church of England. Jam and Jerusalem and politeness and dealing with things by tutting at them.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2019-04-01 03:36pm C of e = church of England. Jam and Jerusalem and politeness and dealing with things by tutting at them.
So, at what point do you advocate direct physical intervention?
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I think you are boxing at shadows here. Im not disagreeing with what you said.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Funnily enough, the current criminal code of Brunei already makes homosexuality illegal. (Sect. 377) And, to echo some posts above, that criminal code is a direct descendant from the British laws that were imposed on it when it was controlled by the UK.

Also, the Death Penalty is on the books in multiple places but hasn't been enforced since 1957 and Brunei is even classified as 'Abolitionist de facto' by the Death Penalty Project.

What is going on is that the sultan has been in a long-term overhaul of the legal system of Brunei to replace it with something more inline with the Islamic tradition that he has very prominently aligned himself with. That means that the legal canon is going to be based on Sharia law, as for how much of that is enforced in practice... who knows? As said above, I can't imagine that they would try to enforce it because the blowback would certainly be extreme, far more extreme than what's going on now. Also, Sharia law is, like most legal systems, more a question of interpretation than a simple unquestioned canon. The real question is what the interpretation of the canon will be by the judicial system, and that is far from clear. The only public statement by appropriate officials has been that they're ready to amputate the hands of thieves and that everything else is being worked out. (I'll add that I'm much more concerned with how traditional sharia law treats women in areas like divorce and property ownership. Those procedural and baseline questions are a lot more nefarious than "X is the punishment for Y" which can be, and are, largely ignored by judicial systems around the world. But, hey, misogyny is small potatoes on the international stage these days when compared to anti-queer legislation. )

So, yeah, the criticism being offered now is certainly colonialist in spirit even if it is legitimate in what it targets.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Straha wrote: 2019-04-02 12:59pm The only public statement by appropriate officials has been that they're ready to amputate the hands of thieves and that everything else is being worked out.

Which is a horrific and barbaric punishment too. Any infinite punishment for a finite crime, regardless of the severity of the crime (because the punishement for stealing 100 $ would be the same the the punishment for stealing 10000000000 $) is pretty bloody stupid.

I find the silence comming from the officials from the free western countries rather deafening (I guess economy trump basic human rights as usual) and that it's mostly due certain companies or celebrities (I wish I could afford the hotels that George Clooney is asking to boycot) starting to boycot Brunei in one way or the other that it's still somewhat in the news.

Also gotta love the irony that the sultan (with his harem) and his family (what with naming his yachts tits and nipple) would probably be guilty under their own draconic sharia laws. I guess adultery by the sultan isn't the same as adultery commited by the plebs. Then again, I suppose kings are above the law in a theocratic absolute monarchy
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

wautd wrote: 2019-04-08 06:38am I find the silence comming from the officials from the free western countries rather deafening (I guess economy trump basic human rights as usual)
It's not like Trump is ever going to make a comment about limiting the power of an autocrat - if certain members of the current US government thought they could get away with it they'd impose the death penalty for homosexuality, too, and want "infinite" punishment for crimes, especially for the poor and the non-elite. Of course they're silent!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

wautd wrote: 2019-04-08 06:38am
Which is a horrific and barbaric punishment too. Any infinite punishment for a finite crime, regardless of the severity of the crime (because the punishement for stealing 100 $ would be the same the the punishment for stealing 10000000000 $) is pretty bloody stupid.
You're not wrong, but the current penalty is up to three years in prison, and can be more under the right circumstances. Prison is an awful fucking institution and one that should not simply be... ignored.
Also gotta love the irony that the sultan (with his harem) and his family (what with naming his yachts tits and nipple) would probably be guilty under their own draconic sharia laws. I guess adultery by the sultan isn't the same as adultery commited by the plebs. Then again, I suppose kings are above the law in a theocratic absolute monarchy
Again, it's not 'draconian sharia law'. It's just sharia law. Sharia law is not inherently draconian (no more than the common law tradition is, at any rate), it is a rich and very nuanced and complicated legal tradition that approaches questions of justice and punishment from a nuanced background that can differ wildly from implementation to implementation. The crucial point here is that Brunei hasn't yet implemented its actual law code, it's merely shifted its basic notion of law from common law to sharia law.

Also, it was the Sultan's brother with the yacht named tits. Not the Sultan.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan