Ontario legislator Randy Hillier booted from Conservative caucus, claims it was for refusing to condone illegal behavior

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ontario legislator Randy Hillier booted from Conservative caucus, claims it was for refusing to condone illegal behavior

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://globalnews.ca/news/5066631/rand ... overnment/
Randy Hillier is fighting back against Ontario’s PC government in a no-holds-barred statement released Monday.
On Friday, the Lanark-Frontenac-Kingston MPP was permanently removed from the PC caucus. Hillier was accused of saying “yada, yada, yada” to a parent of a child with autism during question period on Feb. 20. Later that day, he was suspended. Hillier denied the accusation.
WATCH: Hillier says he was heckling NDP, not parents with children with autism

In Monday’s statement, Hillier alleges tensions were rising well before the “yada, yada, yada” incident. He writes that during his first meeting with Premier Doug Ford’s chief of staff, Dean French, at the Ford residence on Aug. 2, “Dean informed me that he ‘wanted me out of caucus.'”
In the months that followed, Hillier alleges “an underhanded and relentless campaign” to remove him from the party.

READ MORE: Randy Hillier permanently kicked out of Ontario PC caucus
The MPP gives 10 main reasons that he believes he was expelled from caucus, which include: “My refusal to breach oath of office, my refusal to accept the obstruction and prevention of caucus criticism or input on public policy, for raising concerns of possible illegal and unregistered lobbying by close friends and advisers employed by Premier Ford, my refusal not to stand and applaud for the routine.”
Hillier also alleges he was told he needed to seek “permission” to attend his brother’s funeral.
“This, to me, is the most egregious act. It undermines me as a person and thereby undermines all Ontarians by putting party politics above compassion and respect,” Hillier wrote.
READ MORE: Supporters of suspended MPP Randy Hillier stand by the veteran politician
However, he says he was offered a path back to the party.
“These outrageous demands and distortions/corruption of my responsibilities culminated with the following condition of reinstatement to the PC caucus. Even when the government is in violation of the law or engaged in unlawful activity, I must accept these decisions as a team member and neither dissent in caucus nor speak publicly of these illegal/unlawful actions,” Hillier wrote.
WATCH: Insights into why Randy Hillier was expelled from Tory caucus

Global News previously reported on sources who said in mid-February that the PC caucus was informed that cabinet had recommended Hillier be expelled. The Premier’s Office denied the report.
Global News has since learned that at a subsequent caucus meeting in early March, a number of cabinet ministers spoke, reiterating a desire for Hillier to be removed permanently.
READ MORE: Suspended MPP Randy Hillier hits back at Doug Ford government in letter, cites ‘childish grievances’
Community Safety and Correctional Services Minister Sylvia Jones allegedly explained her view to caucus that Hillier was not a team player, noting his attempts to undermine the party numerous times before. Sources say Attorney General Caroline Mulroney evoked the teachings of her father, former prime minister Brian Mulroney, saying he taught her that caucus is not a democracy and that all decisions should rest with the leader.
WATCH: Hillier defends comments in Queen’s Park following suspension

Mulroney urged caucus members in attendance to support Ford’s decision on Hillier. Sources say Ford also spoke, saying that he had invited Hillier to his office numerous times since becoming premier but the invitations were declined. The premier also allegedly told caucus it seemed Hillier was dead set on disruption.
In a letter Friday morning to the ousted MPP, caucus chair Daryl Kramp wrote: “I am writing to inform you that a decision has been made by the leader of our party to expel you from the Ontario PC caucus on a permanent basis.”
READ MORE: MPP Randy Hillier to be kicked out of PC caucus under ‘big brother’ conditions — sources
Kramp noted the decision was made after a review of Hillier’s conduct and what he described as continued attempts by Hillier to “escalate the situation in public.”
The same day the letter was issued, a PC caucus source not authorized to speak publicly told Global News: “The message is that if we don’t toe the party line and do exactly as told, we will get kicked out. It’s also concerning because we were told there would be further discussion about Randy, however, that did not happen.”
WATCH: Hillier says he won’t presume there’s ‘improper motive’ on suspension

In February, another source within the party said: “I think the move to remove Randy should send a chill through the ranks of caucus to those MPPs who may think about stepping out of line.”
Global News has requested a statement from the Premier’s Office on the expulsion of Hillier from the PC caucus. As of publication, there was no reply.
Hillier ends his statement by reassuring constituents that his political affiliation will not impact his ability to represent his constituents.
“Having conviction is more important than playing politics,” Hillier wrote. “That representation of my constituents is more important than being buddies with backroom operatives whose only mission is unrestrained power and control that always leads to corruption. I am now your conservative, independent member for Lanark-Frontenac-Kingston and I continue to be proud to represent you.”
Wow. But then again, what exactly was Ontario expecting when they elected a drug dealer as their Premier? Ethical, law-abiding government? :lol:

Eh, maybe they just don't care, and like Trumpers before them, rampant corruption is an acceptable price to pay to put the uppity women and minorities "in their place".
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Re: Ontario legislator Randy Hillier booted from Conservative caucus, claims it was for refusing to condone illegal beha

Post by aerius »

"But muh taxes are lower so fuck you I'm winning!"
That's about how smart your average Ontarian is. I'm not even joking.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ontario legislator Randy Hillier booted from Conservative caucus, claims it was for refusing to condone illegal beha

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I mean, when you get right down to it, conservatism can really just be summed up as "I've got mine, fuck everyone else." It succeeds as often as it does because it appeals to peoples' most basic, selfish, and tribal instincts.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Fun story from back in the day. When Harper went to cut the GST from 7% to 6%, there was a huge ad campaign on how it would save the average person something like $1000 per year. And people just ate that shit up and never bothered to do the math. It's like 1% of what is $1000? Oh, you mean you'd have to spend $100k on taxable goods & services to save $1000? Bro, you don't even make $100k in gross income! This is what happens when your average citizen can't do junior school math.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P