North Carolina Ninth Congressional District to hold new election

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

DaZergRock54444
Padawan Learner

North Carolina Ninth Congressional District to hold new election

Post by DaZergRock54444 »

The 2018 Midterm Elections finally have an end in sight:
Article from Charlotte, NC news station
RALEIGH, NC (WBTV) - On the fourth day of the North Carolina State Board of Elections hearing, the board voted unanimously to hold a new election in the 9th District.

Prior to the vote, Republican Mark Harris called for a new election.

The hearing began Monday morning to begin publicly disclosing evidence into a months-long investigation into alleged election fraud in the 9th District.

The investigation began in late November after the NCSBE voted to not certify the results of the 9th Congressional District race where Republican Mark Harris led Democrat Dan McCready by 905 votes after the November general election.

Members of the NCSBE received a private briefing from staff about the findings of the investigation at a meeting in early February.

The board that planned to preside over the hearing and determine whether to certify the results of the race or hold a new election is not the same board that voted to launch the investigation in November.

In December, a three-judge panel ordered the then-NCSBE to dissolve, finding that the bill creating that version of the elections board was unconstitutional. There was no elections board for the month of January. Governor Roy Cooper appointed the current five-member board, made up of three Democrats and two Republicans, on January 31, 2019, under the terms of a law passed by the North Carolina General Assembly in response to the court order.

More than 80 people have been subpoenaed for the hearing.
The rest of the article is a descending timeline of updates from the last several days hearings.

What is nice is that the last non-certified race of the midterms is finally going to see resolution, and properly at that. I'm disappointed that it took this long for Harris to acknowledge that this election was tainted, but credit where credit be due, he did essentially concede that his victory was illegitimate. The comments that I've seen have ranged from it being a good day for democracy, to the usual whataboutist accusations regarding Democrat activities in the blue states. I'm also happy that the board voted unanimously to call a new election, since I recall from a prior article I saw this week that a new election would have been impossible if they voted straight party line.

Note: I felt that this did not merit necro-ing the midterms thread, though it is related. If a mod wants to shuffle it in, by all means.
Instead of foodservice equipment, let's play with large format projectors.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: North Carolina Ninth Congressional District to hold new election

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Turns out mass fraud in American elections is real, but it isn't Democrats and immigrants who are guilty. It's Republicans. What a surprise.

Now, we just need to get a second election for all of 2016, and we're good to go.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.