Re: BREAKING NEWS: Coast Guard Lieutenant Charged with Planning Mass Attack Targeting Democrats and Journalists

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Coast Guard Lieutenant Charged with Planning Mass Attack Targeting Democrats and Journalists

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

This just showed up... and by all indications it is a Trumpist Coast Guardsman doing this. Basically the Coast Guard higher ups saw some red flags, called the FBI and DoJ, and the investigation nabbed him.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Coast Guard Lieutenant Charged with Planning Mass Attack Targeting Democrats and Journalists

Post by TheFeniX »

I got nothing worthwhile to say here, so I'll just go with "If 15 guns and 1,000 rounds of ammo is 'stockpiling,' I am so screwed."
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Coast Guard Lieutenant Charged with Planning Mass Attack Targeting Democrats and Journalists

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

TheFeniX wrote: 2019-02-20 10:37pm I got nothing worthwhile to say here, so I'll just go with "If 15 guns and 1,000 rounds of ammo is 'stockpiling,' I am so screwed."
His being in the uniformed services was also a factor, not just the weapons, FenIX.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2019-02-21 01:22am
TheFeniX wrote: 2019-02-20 10:37pm I got nothing worthwhile to say here, so I'll just go with "If 15 guns and 1,000 rounds of ammo is 'stockpiling,' I am so screwed."
His being in the uniformed services was also a factor, not just the weapons, FenIX.
I suspect also what types of weapons there was a factor was well. I've not watched the vid yet but on the thumbnail those pistols do look like they could all be the same model and there's few legal reasons I can think of to have 4 examples of the same exact model if they all work just fine.

EDIT:looked at vid and rifles at back look similar (though with different furnishing) as well.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

GrosseAdmiralFox wrote: 2019-02-20 08:56pmThis just showed up... and by all indications it is a Trumpist Coast Guardsman doing this. Basically the Coast Guard higher ups saw some red flags, called the FBI and DoJ, and the investigation nabbed him.
So... the system worked? It spotted a threat prior to Bad Stuff actually happening.
TheFeniX wrote: 2019-02-20 10:37pmI got nothing worthwhile to say here, so I'll just go with "If 15 guns and 1,000 rounds of ammo is 'stockpiling,' I am so screwed."
Think context matters here - he was planning a terrorist attack AND acquiring guns and ammo.

As opposed to, say, having three different handguns in three different calibers for target shooting (and maybe concealed carry), a shotgun, a couple different hunting rifles, and ammo for each. It looks to me like he was more of a Stephen Paddock getting multiple guns of the same type to cut down on reloading time.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-02-21 06:39am So... the system worked? It spotted a threat prior to Bad Stuff actually happening.
Problem is the context and the timing. Mueller has been pretty much the TERMINATOR OF JUSTICE with his investigation and has been closing in around Trump's inner circle at the very least, and then this pops up...

... given the GOP's prior comments about 'Second Amendment Solutions against the Democrats'... this is worrying.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yes, but it seems this guy has been planning for awhile, it's not something he started last Tuesday.

I've been worried, but expecting, this sort of thing since Trump became the Republican nominee.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I'm worried about the fact that he seems to pass any admission criteria in the US military without much issue and seemingly continue to serve up until his arrest.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

From what I can construct as a timeline, he was in the USCG a long time before he started becoming radicalized. It's not that a nutjob was able to join the USCG, but rather someone joined the USCG and then became a nutjob.

(Sure, he might have been racist or whatever a long time, but most racists don't become terrorists, they just remain assholes.)

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-02-21 06:39amAs opposed to, say, having three different handguns in three different calibers for target shooting (and maybe concealed carry), a shotgun, a couple different hunting rifles, and ammo for each. It looks to me like he was more of a Stephen Paddock getting multiple guns of the same type to cut down on reloading time.

I'm not a gun person, but the picture they showed seemed to have a pretty good variety of guns?
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-02-21 08:43am From what I can construct as a timeline, he was in the USCG a long time before he started becoming radicalized. It's not that a nutjob was able to join the USCG, but rather someone joined the USCG and then became a nutjob.

(Sure, he might have been racist or whatever a long time, but most racists don't become terrorists, they just remain assholes.)
The fact that he held racists views while being undiscovered for a long time in the army is the thing that is frightening? The fact that he's an officer didn't help?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

ray245 wrote: 2019-02-21 09:22am
Broomstick wrote: 2019-02-21 08:43am From what I can construct as a timeline, he was in the USCG a long time before he started becoming radicalized. It's not that a nutjob was able to join the USCG, but rather someone joined the USCG and then became a nutjob.

The fact that he held racists views while being undiscovered for a long time in the army is the thing that is frightening? The fact that he's an officer didn't help?
I'm pretty sure "being racist" isn't illegal or prohibits you from military service? Not unless you act on it or incite others or something.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ralin wrote: 2019-02-21 08:52amI'm not a gun person, but the picture they showed seemed to have a pretty good variety of guns?
It's impossible to be sure from the photo as there is not enough detail, but those guns might be very similar with just superficial differences within a category (the shotguns might have different finishes/stock materials but actually be of the same caliber, for example).
Broomstick wrote: 2019-02-21 08:43amFrom what I can construct as a timeline, he was in the USCG a long time before he started becoming radicalized. It's not that a nutjob was able to join the USCG, but rather someone joined the USCG and then became a nutjob.

Holy crap, don't you realize how common racist views are?

If a person prefers their own race but it doesn't interfere with their job or how they treat others that falls under freedom of belief, sometimes even free speech. You don't have to like everyone, just treat them fairly.

When they start thinking of ways to KILL everyone not exactly like them, though, that becomes terrorism.

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-02-21 09:31am
Ralin wrote: 2019-02-21 08:52amI'm not a gun person, but the picture they showed seemed to have a pretty good variety of guns?
It's impossible to be sure from the photo as there is not enough detail, but those guns might be very similar with just superficial differences within a category (the shotguns might have different finishes/stock materials but actually be of the same caliber, for example).
Broomstick wrote: 2019-02-21 08:43amFrom what I can construct as a timeline, he was in the USCG a long time before he started becoming radicalized. It's not that a nutjob was able to join the USCG, but rather someone joined the USCG and then became a nutjob.

Holy crap, don't you realize how common racist views are?

If a person prefers their own race but it doesn't interfere with their job or how they treat others that falls under freedom of belief, sometimes even free speech. You don't have to like everyone, just treat them fairly.

When they start thinking of ways to KILL everyone not exactly like them, though, that becomes terrorism.
I know how common such views are. I just expect the US military to have a more active policy in making sure such views don't fester.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

GrosseAdmiralFox wrote: 2019-02-21 07:29am
Broomstick wrote: 2019-02-21 06:39am So... the system worked? It spotted a threat prior to Bad Stuff actually happening.
Problem is the context and the timing. Mueller has been pretty much the TERMINATOR OF JUSTICE with his investigation and has been closing in around Trump's inner circle at the very least, and then this pops up...

... given the GOP's prior comments about 'Second Amendment Solutions against the Democrats'... this is worrying.
Terminator of justice? Are you referring to his termination of justice leading to the invasion of Iraq in 2003, or his somehow being allowed to exist outside of a prison cell afterwards? The verb is a bit vague.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

ray245 wrote: 2019-02-21 09:36amI know how common such views are. I just expect the US military to have a more active policy in making sure such views don't fester.
I mean, if they aren't going around actively calling people racial epithets, tossing off Heil Hitlers and passing out white supremacist literature on-duty what is the organization supposed to do? I'd rather not have departments in charge of monitoring military personnel's politics and personal lives.

Also isn't the Coast Guard like quasi-military depending on whether we're actually at war or something like that?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Is this guy one of the "good people on both sides"?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Ralin wrote: 2019-02-21 09:47am
ray245 wrote: 2019-02-21 09:36amI know how common such views are. I just expect the US military to have a more active policy in making sure such views don't fester.
I mean, if they aren't going around actively calling people racial epithets, tossing off Heil Hitlers and passing out white supremacist literature on-duty what is the organization supposed to do? I'd rather not have departments in charge of monitoring military personnel's politics and personal lives.

Also isn't the Coast Guard like quasi-military depending on whether we're actually at war or something like that?
Your first paragraph is pretty much it. As long as you keep your personal life strictly separate from your work in the military, and you don't get involved in politics while enrolled, they don't care what you worship, look at on the Internet, read about, drink, eat, whatever. As long as you meet the standards they require of your position at your work (don't get fat, for example), they're going to be reasonably hands-off about whatever you may believe in.

Now if it extends into 'the job', then they will have a problem. Say White Supremacist Dude comes under an African-American officer and starts grumbling around the job. If they find out, that's gonna get a talking-to at least. They expect their service members to do what they're told regardless of any personal convictions, pretty much up to the 'is this illegal' line.

As to the status of the CG: They're technically part of the Department of Homeland Security at the moment. They have fallen under the DOD before, the transition to Homeland Security was in the early 2000s. There's an exemption for wartime conditions though, in which case they're seconded to the Navy. However this does mean that in peacetime, they're treated as civilian employees of the government. This was a big problem during the Federal shutdown earlier this year. That's since been addressed, IIRC a bill was passed that guarantees the Coast Guard will continue receiving pay during any future shutdowns. One wonders if that was his tipping point.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.