Former premier of BC Gordon Campbell investigated for sexual assault.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Former premier of BC Gordon Campbell investigated for sexual assault.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canda/british-c ... -1.5022714
Public relations firm Edelman says it's suspending its consulting arrangement with former B.C. premier and former high commissioner to the U.K. Gordon Campbell pending a British police investigation.

The firm says it hired Campbell on a retainer as a part-time consultant in July 2018.

"In light of the recent allegations, Edelman and Mr. Campbell have mutually decided to suspend their consulting arrangement until the police investigation in the U.K. is complete," Edelman said in a written statement.

Campbell is the subject of a sexual assault investigation related to his time as Canada's senior diplomat in the U.K., where he was high commissioner from 2011 to 2016, according to a report in The Telegraph.

The CBC has not been able to independently verify details reported in the British newspaper.

Former prime minister Stephen Harper talks with Gordon Campbell, then Canada's high commissioner to the United Kingdom, during a business roundtable in London in 2013. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)
Scotland Yard will only confirm that police in Westminster — in central London — are investigating an allegation of sexual assault that occurred in January 2013.

A spokesperson with the Metropolitan Police Service said in an email that a 54-year-old woman contacted police on Jan. 3, 2019, and alleged she had been sexually assaulted at an address in Grosvenor Square.

U.K. report says former B.C. premier Gordon Campbell under investigation for alleged assault
No arrests have been made and enquiries are ongoing, the spokesperson said.

The newspaper quotes a spokesperson for Campbell saying there was an investigation at the time by the government of Canada and the complaint was found to be without merit.
I remember many years ago when he got busted for drunk driving, but I wasn't expecting this.

Is every prominent figure in politics, media, and religion going to turn out to be a sexual predator.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: Former premier of BC Gordon Campbell investigated for sexual assault.

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Yep.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Politics attracts (among others) people who want lots of power. So it's certainly to be expected.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-02-17 10:41pm Politics attracts (among others) people who want lots of power. So it's certainly to be expected.
In my intro to psychology class, I learned that the psych profiles of politicians and psychopaths are similar to one another.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2019-02-17 10:47pm
Gandalf wrote: 2019-02-17 10:41pm Politics attracts (among others) people who want lots of power. So it's certainly to be expected.
In my intro to psychology class, I learned that the psych profiles of politicians and psychopaths are similar to one another.
With exceptions, I'm sure. I very much doubt that every single politician is in the realm of a sociopath or psychopath.

I can definitely see some overlap, though- being a successful politician requires ambition and a strong ego, charisma, and frankly an ability to manipulate people.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-17 11:02pm
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2019-02-17 10:47pm
With exceptions, I'm sure. I very much doubt that every single politician is in the realm of a sociopath or psychopath.

I can definitely see some overlap, though- being a successful politician requires ambition and a strong ego, charisma, and frankly an ability to manipulate people.
Not all, but too many are, and they hold all the keys, as the non-sociopathic/psychopathic politicians are generally forced aside in favor of those who are. Jimmy Carter, for example.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Poor Jimmy. Not the greatest President the US has had, but probably the most decent man to occupy the office (well, him or Lincoln).

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-18 04:16pm Poor Jimmy. Not the greatest President the US has had, but probably the most decent man to occupy the office (well, him or Lincoln).
But, certainly, the greatest ex-President we ever had. Definitely the most decent occupant in the last forty-odd years.