Sports store’s Nike, Kaepernick boycott backfires horribly

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

linky
FEBRUARY 15, 2019 11:49AM

The owner of a sporting goods store in Colorado, America says his shop is going out of business after he stopped selling Nike products over the company’s controversial campaign with NFL icon Colin Kaepernick.
Prime Time Sports, in Colorado Springs, is shuttering its doors after “21 mostly good years”, owner Stephen Martin wrote on Facebook this week.

He advertised 40 per cent off all merchandise, and thanked those who “offered help and support through the ‘Honour The Flag’ memorial wall and Nike boycott”.

Martin said he can’t afford to stay open anymore after he stopped selling Nike products, in protest after the sports brand featured Kaepernick, a former quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, in its “Just Do It” campaign.

The controversial ad from the campaign included a photo of Kaepernick’s face, with the words “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything” superimposed on it.

Nike’s decision led to calls for a boycott of the company, with more than 42,000 people tweeting with the hashtag #NikeBoycott the day after the ad was released.

Kaepernick became a controversial figure in the US after kneeling during the American national anthem before a game in protest of discrimination and police brutality against black people. His stance sparked waves of similar protests from fellow NFL stars, who joined him in kneeling whenever the anthem was played.

But the NFL didn’t appreciate the move, trying to prevent protests by telling players who didn’t want to join in they could stay in the locker room but everyone on the field had to respect the anthem. Violations would result in fines.

Even president Donald Trump joined the debate, furiously tweeting his distaste for anyone who would have the gall to disrespect the country by kneeling during the anthem.

Martin said once he made the decision to go ahead with the boycott, he was living on borrowed time.

“Being a sports store without Nike is kind of like being a milk store without milk or a gas station without gas,” he told KOAA-TV.

“How do you do it? They have a monopoly on jerseys.”

Martin said that despite having NFL apparel for every team in the league sold at his store, he isn’t selling the jerseys of any current NFL player because of his decision to boycott Nike.

“As much as I hate to admit this, perhaps there are more Brandon Marshall and Colin Kaepernick supporters out there than I realised,” Martin confessed, adding that he cancelled an autograph event with Marshall, of the Denver Broncos, in 2016 because the linebacker knelt during the national anthem.

Martin revealed on Facebook on Friday his boycott had turned ugly.

“My mother was just called a ‘w***e’ over the phone while working (the) register. This ugliness has to stop. I am not a ‘racist pig,’” he wrote.

Martin said Prime Time Sports will remain open until he’s sold all his remaining merchandise, but is seemingly proud he did what he felt was right.

“I didn’t give in to big Nike and big dollars. I didn’t give in. I did it my way,” he said. “That part of the military respect that’s in me just cannot be sacrificed or compromised, as I believe Brandon Marshall and Colin Kaepernick both did. I don’t like losing a business over it, but I rather be able to live with myself.”

Martin anticipates his store will close in about a month’s time.

This article originally appeared on Fox News and was reproduced with permission
Will comment later when time permits.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Re: Sports store’s Nike, Kaepernick boycott backfires horribly

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Going out of business to own the libs
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ironically, the store owner did exactly what the Nike ad said - he believed in something, and it cost him everything.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-02-15 06:07am Ironically, the store owner did exactly what the Nike ad said - he believed in something, and it cost him everything.
So he's a failed version of Thanos? :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

My mother was just called a ‘w***e’ over the phone
I can't figure out what this is bleeping. Is it white? :lol:
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

This is way funnier than it should be.
Steel wrote: 2019-02-15 08:06am
I think "whore."
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-02-15 09:07am This is way funnier than it should be.
Steel wrote: 2019-02-15 08:06am
I think "whore."
Ah, yes. Thank you.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The concern here is that even facing bankruptcy is not enough to make him regret his beliefs and views. This is the thing that is dangerous. He is building up himself as a victim of Nike, rather than someone regretful of his actions, and he will find supporters who will defend him and help him.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

ray245 wrote: 2019-02-15 01:21pm The concern here is that even facing bankruptcy is not enough to make him regret his beliefs and views. This is the thing that is dangerous. He is building up himself as a victim of Nike, rather than someone regretful of his actions, and he will find supporters who will defend him and help him.
In what sense? Because clearly he has thus far failed to find enough supporters willing to help him to avoid going out of business.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Ralin wrote: 2019-02-15 02:43pm
ray245 wrote: 2019-02-15 01:21pm The concern here is that even facing bankruptcy is not enough to make him regret his beliefs and views. This is the thing that is dangerous. He is building up himself as a victim of Nike, rather than someone regretful of his actions, and he will find supporters who will defend him and help him.
In what sense? Because clearly he has thus far failed to find enough supporters willing to help him to avoid going out of business.
They'll send thoughts and prayers, presumably. Then use him as an example of evil leftists manipulating society.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

He spells it out really well. A sports store without Nike is like a gas station without gas but he decided to stop selling Nike. He probably made a bet that there were more 'angry white guys who watch football' than 'brown and black people who watch football' and made the wrong bet. I'd say, perhaps, he should get into a business that is more to his liking, but with business decisions like his, pretty much anything would be doomed.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The good news (kinda sorta) is that Eric Reid and Colin Kaepernick just got a big out-of-court settlement from the NFL, worth at least $60 million for Kaepernick alone. The funny part is that as is usual, the NFL "admits no wrongdoing", aside from the fat checks they have to write in exchange for kowtowing to a white supremacist game show host. On the negative side, this settlement costs each team the equivalent of the salary for one backup player for one season -so it's not exactly going to raise welts on their asses.

Fuck the NFL.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Yeah, it makes you wonder what the hell Kaepernick's legal team had over the NFL.

- George Carlin
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Chris Kluwe, former NFL punter wrote:Told you all this would never go to trial. The NFL absolutely cannot afford to go through discovery.
via Twitter

The NFL not wanting to have to worry about the legal discovery process seems like a pretty feasible reason they'd be willing to settle, even if they thought they could win this specific lawsuit. Who knows what skeletons would turn up? The NFL is not a nice, friendly organization. And as pointed out, $60 million is chump change to them. They wouldn't pay it unless they thought the potential consequences of not making the offer would be worse.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.