Senator Amy Klobuchar announces Presidential campaign.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Senator Amy Klobuchar announces Presidential campaign.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/vid ... deo-report
Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota has joined the crowded field of Democratic candidates for 2020 that includes a historic number of women seeking the presidency.
The three-term senator, who is often characterised as “Minnesota nice” amid the rough-and-tumble of politics, is looking to be a contrast to Donald Trump’s brash personality and often vitriolic rhetoric.
I don't know much about her, to be honest, but I wish her the best of luck.

This brings the tally of major candidates so far to:

Democrats:

Senator Elizabeth Warren.
Representative Tulsi Gabbard.
Senator Amy Klobuchar.
Senator Kamala Harris.
Senator Corey Booker.
Senator Kristen Gillibrand.
Secretary Julian Castro.

Republicans:

Der Fuhrer Donald Trump.

Not yet announced but likely candidates include:

Democrats:

Vice President Joe Biden.

Independent:

Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz.
Senator Bernie Sanders (seeking the Democratic nomination).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Senator Amy Klobuchar announces Presidential campaign.

Amy Klobuchar will be holding a town hall on CNN tonight, if anyone's interested in watching.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Klobuchar's on now. So far mostly just the usual vague pandering, but not bad presentation. She seems to be trying to frame herself as someone who can build bipartisan compromise, though, which these days is often a fool's errand at best and collaboration at worst.

Edit: She has stated her support for universal health care, by expanding Obamacare (including possibly expanding Medicare or Medicaid) to get a public option. She just name dropped Sanders (over a healthcare bill they both backed).

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Good audience questions. The climate change question pressing her for policy specifics was very well-asked.

She just pledged to sign back onto the international climate change agreement as soon as she becomes President, and to implement some proposed Obama-era rules that Trump ditched in her first 100 days, and to invest in infrastructure.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

She keeps using the word "aspiration" as a way of saying "I want to sound like I support this progressive proposal but don't think it can actually be achieved".

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Interesting question, asking her how she would handle sexist attacks and double-standards. "Talk softly and carry a big statistic" is a pretty good line, but I don't know how well it'll work in practice.

And now how she will use the President's emergency powers if Trump wins his court battle. She asserts that the state of emergency is unconstitutional. She seems to be avoiding the question about what she would do if she had those powers, though.

Edit: She gets pressed on it, and somewhat vaguely says that she would use emergency powers carefully, but that there are emergencies that have to be responded to, and that she would respect the Constitution.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Can we just make a 2020 Democrat candidate superthread?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

We really, really should, but the authority to do that lies with the moderators.

I will, however, PM a mod and ask if we can get a 2020 megathread.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

A strong speech in support of gun control.

And now we're done. She's a pretty strong speaker, but too vague and moderate on policy for my liking.

Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

TRR ... I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, and I do appreciate you going through the effort of providing the forums with information from the event for those of us that missed it, but do we really need what amounts to live tweeting the damned thing as opposed to just giving us one summary post after the speech with all of those points condensed?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

To do that I'd have to take notes during the speech so I don't forget important shit, then edit it all together afterwards, which would be a much longer process. But perhaps I'll try doing just that for the Bernie town hall on Monday.