John McAfee Is Running For President

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

John McAfee Is Running For President

Post by Zaune »

And not letting a small obstacle like being unable to enter the US without risking arrest because he owes the IRS a lot of money... or so he claims.

Daily Dot
Antivirus software pioneer John McAfee is currently “in exile” on a boat, but he still plans to run a 2020 presidential campaign while fleeing U.S. authorities.

Known best for founding McAfee Associates, the 73-year-old tech icon revealed in a series of tweets this week that his presidential run, first announced last year, will carry on undeterred despite alleged felony charges from the IRS.

McAfee claims that a grand jury has indicted both he and his wife “for various tax fraud issues.” While details are scarce, McAfee admits he has refused to pay taxes for the past eight years.

The McAfee 2020 Campaign is, as of this day, in exile. I am being charged with using Crypto Cuttencies in criminal acts against the U. S. Government. More videos coming shortly. Stay tuned. pic.twitter.com/C75zcbnKTD

— John McAfee (@officialmcafee) January 22, 2019

According to CNET, the IRS has not responded to inquires about the nature of McAfee’s claim. McAfee, however, believes he has been charged for using cryptocurrencies “in criminal acts against the U.S. government.”

Despite the alleged indictment, McAfee plans to run his entire presidential campaign from his “Freedom Boat.”

The plan? McAfee says that “thousands” of volunteers will stand in his place with the help of masks made to look like him.

How we will run my campaign in exile: pic.twitter.com/evqxZQRTxH

— John McAfee (@officialmcafee) January 23, 2019

“[Volunteers] are creating masks of my face which are going to be given to thousands of people in two different groups,” McAfee said. “First our road warriors who, once a month are going to appear in parks, street corners, restaurants all around America while I speak through loudspeakers through them.”

McAfee added that the same method would be used in order for him to attend political conferences.

“I will be going to conferences as a surrogate,” McAfee said. “I will be looking at people through a camera, answering questions, shaking hands as I tell my surrogate to shake hands, and speaking.”

So far McAfee alleges to have traveled near Newfoundland and the Bahamas and is preparing to head towards Venezuela.

In typical McAfee fashion, another video purports to show the cryptocurrency enthusiast declaring an arsenal of weapons while in the Bahamas.

A taste of what we are going through. The long arm of the corrupt elements of the US Government reaches the far ends of the earth in unexpected ways. My charisma and the veracity of our story has so far overcome every threat by the IRS. God bless the honor of the Bahamians. pic.twitter.com/CmIRsGVpL4

— John McAfee (@officialmcafee) January 24, 2019

Despite the apparent lengths McAfee is willing to go to keep his presidential bid alive, the business magnate says being elected is not his primary goal. Despite his enthusiasm, the chances that he or one of his lookalikes will come even remotely close to a presidential debate stage is non-existent.

Please people .. don't get distracted by trivialities such as "am I eligible to be President?" Remember: i do not want to be president! I just want the stage. I just need to run. I did it once before in The Libertarian Party. Who cares whether I can?? I'm fucking doing it now!!

— John McAfee (@officialmcafee) January 23, 2019

The so-called IRS fiasco is not the presidential hopeful’s first run-in with the law. McAfee previously made headlines in 2012 after being named a “person of interest” by police in Belize in connection with the murder of American expatriate Gregory Viant Faull.
Does the US have an experimental Improbability Drive-powered FTL starship nearly ready to be launched or something?

Also, we should probably have some kind of megathread for these announcements soon.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: John McAfee Is Running For President

Post by bilateralrope »

I hope he challenges Trump in the Republican primary.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

My first response: "John Who?"

My second response upon reading about his past wrt the IRS: "Oh well, we already have a criminal and tax evader as President, so at worst this is a lateral move."
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Wasn't he the guy that randomly start talking about fucking a whale on Twitter?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Coop D'etat wrote: 2019-01-25 01:31am Wasn't he the guy that randomly start talking about fucking a whale on Twitter?
2020: The guy who wants to fuck his daughter, or the guy who wants to fuck a whale? YOU decide! :D

But yeah, I think (I hope) we can safely say that this guy isn't a serious candidate. Then again, most people thought that about Dickless Donald until it was far too late.

It would be absolutely precious though if he challenged Dickless for the Republican nomination.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I bet if he's elected he'll provide all the Brawndo anybody could drink.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-25 01:51am
Coop D'etat wrote: 2019-01-25 01:31am Wasn't he the guy that randomly start talking about fucking a whale on Twitter?
2020: The guy who wants to fuck his daughter, or the guy who wants to fuck a whale? YOU decide! :D

But yeah, I think (I hope) we can safely say that this guy isn't a serious candidate. Then again, most people thought that about Dickless Donald until it was far too late.

It would be absolutely precious though if he challenged Dickless for the Republican nomination.
He ran last time as well. Virtually no-one knew about it.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Coop D'etat wrote: 2019-01-25 01:31amWasn't he the guy that randomly start talking about fucking a whale on Twitter?
He was probably high at the time, if that helps.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

If he's elected, he'll probably be as intrusive as the anti-virus software that bares his name.

Now we need Peter Norton to run in opposition, then have AVG sneak in and win the election.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Solauren wrote: 2019-01-25 02:02pmIf he's elected, he'll probably be as intrusive as the anti-virus software that bares his name.
In the interests of being scrupulously fair, I feel I should point out that he sold his company back when McAfee Antivirus was still a well-regarded piece of software. (And spent at least half the proceeds on cocaine, if his... unique philosophy of life is any indication.)

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog