Tulsi Gabbard announces Presidential bid.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Tulsi Gabbard announces Presidential bid.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihZRS289AyM

I used to be a fan of Gabbard's. She was a progressive Democrat who was one of the few legislators to back Bernie Sanders. I began to distrust her after she dragged her feet on endorsing Hillary Clinton post-primary until late Summer, nearly going full Bernie or Bust. The final straw came when I found out about her climbing into bed with Trump after the election, and her history of rabid Islamophobia:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/tul ... 5191568008
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) told CNN on Friday that she definitely will seek the 2020 Democratic nomination for president, ending months of speculation.

Her bid makes sense on its face: Democrats swept the 2018 midterm elections with a crop of young candidates like Gabbard, many of them with public service backgrounds and from historically underrepresented communities. (She is a military veteran and was the first Hindu member of Congress.) Much of the party also associates her with the ongoing revolt against its establishment. In 2016, she surrendered a plum Democratic National Committee post so she could endorse Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and argue top Democrats were unfairly helping former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton secure the party’s presidential nomination.

Progressives are already welcoming the news: “Let them make their case and we’ll find out who has the most compelling narrative,” commentator Cenk Uygur said of Gabbard’s taking on left favorites Sanders and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), whose 2020 plans are already in motion.

But the mythos linking the congresswoman to the party’s rising left wing collapses over the critical question of how to handle the world beyond America’s shores. Like Sanders and Warren, Gabbard is acutely attuned to the left’s frustration with endless wars. What she’s offering, however, is a fatalist view starkly different from the optimistic global vision of progress they’ve been pushing into the national conversation.

On domestic matters, Gabbard is in line with her counterparts: She supports a $15 minimum wage and single-payer health care, and she says Democrats need to do more to resist money from corporations and billionaires. Yet on foreign policy, she’s gone rogue, tying the anti-intervention rhetoric adopted by nearly every Democrat (and Republicans like President Donald Trump) to embracing global leaders who flout international human rights standards and complain of persecution by American empire.

Gabbard’s language is that of the old left, holding up the U.S. government as obsessed with unwisely projecting its influence, often for the sake of monied interests ― and, she asserts, in secretive risky ways ― while neglecting its own people at home. It’s a mode that echoes the kind of anti-elite talk that Trump built his campaign around while he lied about his past position on the invasion of Iraq. (Why have politicians of both parties gotten Americans trapped in these far-away places?)

And it connects seamlessly to another Trump-style view: a deep skepticism of foreigners, particularly Muslims. Gabbard has voted to make it harder for refugees from Iraq and Syria to enter the U.S., courted Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, despite his links to anti-Muslim violence that killed hundreds, and spent years as a Fox News darling for her willingness to claim President Barack Obama was making Americans less safe by supporting Arab rebels in Syria and not using the phrase “radical Islam.” (Obama aides and many experts warn that language risks implying a problem inherent in a religion followed by 1.6 billion people; Gabbard and Trump argue the language is essential to explain the rise of groups like the Islamic State.)

What Sanders and Warren have tried to do, notably in a series of recent speeches, is offer a vision of a new left that addresses voters’ deep skepticism of U.S. adventurism abroad without veering toward the idea that the world can’t be fixed and that’s just not Americans’ problem. They’re rejecting too the old-school internationalism associated with Clinton and many Republicans — the idea that U.S.-led diplomacy combined with “smart” limited use of force is the key to world order. They have challenged the notion that it’s essential to appear tough in the face of traditional adversaries like Russia for the sake of American global standing. Instead, they’re talking about multilateral efforts to improve the lives of U.S. citizens as well as people abroad.

The Sanders/Warren narrative seeks to unite a global left against a status quo in which oligarchs with disproportionate political power are tied to the national security state and brutal military missteps — both in the U.S. and in rivals like Russia and China. In that view, challenging the status quo of American foreign policy doesn’t mean prioritizing dialogue with anyone no matter their track record, as Gabbard did with brutal Syrian dictator Bashar Assad ― it means reconsidering relationships with entire societies and trying to address their concerns in just ways, whether under anti-American regimes like Assad’s or U.S. partners like Saudi Arabia.

“The fight is going on on the left of the party, and you have the two better-established candidates from the left of the party trying to define a new kind of internationalism,” said Heather Hurlburt of the New America think tank.

“Gabbard’s views are more a left hard-realist direction,” she added, referring to a school of national security thought that suggests it’s a waste of time for the U.S. and others to try to prioritize principles like inalienable human rights in global affairs.

The fight is going on on the left of the party, and you have the two better-established candidates from the left of the party trying to define a new kind of internationalism. Gabbard’s views are more a left hard-realist direction.
Heather Hurlburt of the New America think tank
To Hurlburt, a longtime follower of the debate over how Democrats should talk about foreign policy, it’s difficult to see who Gabbard will appeal to.

“There’s a mass feeling across the public… that Trump has walked away from what are perceived as American values, and that’s gotten a huge reception both from people who were organized and active in politics and people who weren’t,” Hurlburt said. She sees Sanders and Warren seeking to wed that concern to the issue they are best known for highlighting domestically, economic inequality.

As the race takes shape, Gabbard’s rivals ― of whom there are likely to be many ― will know they can make political hay of her controversial views and over episodes like her visit to Assad amid his devastating campaign against his own people.

What’s unclear is how those politically close to her will handle what will be an internecine battle. Gabbard has developed deep roots in the party’s left wing, joining the board of the Sanders Institute, founded by the senator’s wife, and frequently posturing as the Democrats’ leading antiwar voice when more mainstream members of the party succumb to militarism the party’s base dislikes, as when they endorsed Trump’s strike against Assad in 2017.

The quiet hope among backers of Sanders and Warren so far is that her campaign will ultimately fizzle out before things have to get ugly.

But that’s far from assured, given that many of Gabbard’s supporters ― particularly in parts of the peace movement ― are fervent and have been hoping for this kind of announcement by her for years.

“The left realists are present in a lot of places and are able to be spoilers quite effectively,” Hurlburt said. Though their numbers are vanishingly small, “they’re loud and articulate, and they have a critique that can be very resonant when you look at some of the disasters going on around us.”

How the contest evolves will determine how serious that fight gets ― and for now, it hasn’t even officially begun.

“There’s no incentive for anyone to make any point out of attacking Gabbard loudly and publicly unless she starts to get some traction,” Hurlburt said.
She also recently made news defending one of Trump's judicial nominees, and accusing fellow Democrats of religious bigotry for questioning him on his associations with the Catholic activist group the Knights of Columbus: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 2019/01/09

There is certainly some merit to the argument that we should ignore her until and unless she becomes a major candidate (as unlikely as that may be). But I'm not sure that's wise. Nobody took Trump seriously for far too long. And even if Gabbard never has a serious shot at the White House, she could split votes off from more credible and ethical progressive candidates, stoke internal divisions in the opposition to Trump, and possibly fuel support for third parties or depress progressive turnout.

I supported Bernie Sanders, and I do not regret that choice. But I will never support Tulsi Gabbard for any office again. She is a hostile adversary of the Democratic Party falsely flying our colours, and dangerously close to Trump on some of his worst positions, and her candidacy can serve no purpose other than to a) undermine genuine progressive candidates in the primary by splitting the vote, and b) stoke divisions within the opposition to Trump. Her decision to run is either proof of astonishing stupidity, or a deliberate ploy to undermine both genuine progressive candidates and the Democratic Party, and throw the election to Trump.

Edit: Washington Post link doesn't work, here's another: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep-tu ... us-bigotry

I don't normally link to Fox any more than I quote Mein Kampf, but the tone of this article seems fairly neutral, and if Fox's spin machine does support Gabbard's views, as it has in the past, then that only reinforces my point about where her true sympathies lie.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Tulsi Gabbard announces Presidential bid.

"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Here's another fun story:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/ ... rip-233762
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard's office won't say who is paying for the Hawaii Democrat's controversial trip to Syria and Lebanon this week.

Gabbard spokeswoman Emily Latimer said the trip wasn't funded using taxpayer dollars and was approved by the House Ethics Committee but wouldn't provide further information when pressed by POLITICO.
"For security reasons, we will not be releasing additional details or comments until she returns," Latimer said in an email.

Congressional leaders were blindsided by Gabbard's trip to war-ravaged Syria with staffers saying she didn't give the customary advanced warning to Democratic or Republican leadership offices.

Latimer wouldn't say whether Gabbard met with Syrian President Bashar Assad. Lebanese officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the trip.

Hill insiders say they believe the trip was paid for by a non-governmental organization (NGO) but aren't sure which one or if it has ties to the Assad regime.
She also voted against a House resolution 2016 condemning "war crimes and crimes against humanity" by the Syrian government.
Who wants to bet she turns out to be the first major Dem. caught on Russia's payroll?

Edit: Googling "tulsi gabbard RT" turned up the lovely headline: "Straight-talking Tulsi's rising star means setting sun for Dem Party establishment" courtesy of Putin's propaganda mouthpiece. :lol:

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

It's not really any of my business but that doesn't really seem like "rabid" islamophobia, given that that label is cheaply applied to block any critism of Islam. But this is surely one of those awkward moments given she is herself a minority, and Modi is leader of the largest democracy in Asia.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

AniThyng wrote: 2019-01-12 05:08am It's not really any of my business but that doesn't really seem like "rabid" islamophobia, given that that label is cheaply applied to block any critism of Islam.
Did you read the articles I cited before deciding to fall back on generic Right-wing whining of "WAAHHH, PC SJWs trying to silence any criticism of Islam"?

Gabbard voted to make it more difficult for refugees from predominantly Muslim nations, used the Right-wing media talking point of attacking Obama for not using the phrase "radical Islam", and is a supporter of Modi, who has been tied to anti-Islamic campaigns of mass murder. This is not some nebulous "criticism of Islam", nor is this just her speaking out against specific practices of extremist Muslim groups. This is a pattern of concrete acts which will cause harm to innocent people on the basis of religion, motivated by an apparent bias against a religious group which is already subject to persecution in the United States at the highest levels of government. That alone is reason enough to seriously question her fitness for elected office, particularly in what is supposed to be a secular nation.

A President is supposed to serve as the leader and representative of all the American people. None of them have had a perfect score in that regard, but some have certainly been better than others, and Trump has been one of the worst in living memory. Do we really want a Democratic candidate who offers more of the same?

Also, what message will it send to moderate, law-abiding Muslims if the leadership of both major parties is overtly hostile to them? Perhaps that there is no place for them in America, that there is no point trying to assimilate into American culture? That America is their enemy regardless of who is in power? That is what ISIS wants them to believe. Is that really the message we want to send?

Contrast to Bernie Sanders, who had notably strong support among Muslim Americans and actually made some effort to speak up on their behalf. Do we want a "progressive" who will piss that good will away?
But this is surely one of those awkward moments given she is herself a minority, and Modi is leader of the largest democracy in Asia.
Modi has also been tied to ethnic cleansing, which rather outweighs any points he gets for being democratically elected in my book.

What exactly is your point here?

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Well I'm not going to say that's "rabid", honestly. As to the other thing, I think ISIS considers "law abiding moderate Muslims" to be as much the enemy, if not worse, than non believers, so no, that's not what they want Muslims to think. They want Muslims to think they will never be accepted by the West, sure, but it's never going to be because the West can accept "moderate" Islam, is because the West will never tolerate and shouldn't tolerate fundamentalist Islam.

That said, yes one can see how it is incredibly frustrating to be judged based on one's ethnicity or origin, but that's the flip side of identity politics, I'd think.

As for Indian democracy, well that's the way the cookie crumbles. I may be wrong on this, but I didn't see any major Muslim leader or nation spend even a bit of effort to try to hold Modi to account, so I can only imagine it isn't something the broader Muslim community cares a whole lot about. Though this maybe says more about the political realities than anything else.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 68056.html
Tulsi Gabbard has only just launched her 2020 presidential campaign, and yet she’s already attracting support from some of the most controversial entities in American politics.

Take, for example, the Russian propaganda machine that sought to sow division in the United States and influence the nation’s 2016 election.

An NBC News analysis shows sites linked to Russian influence operations “celebrated Gabbard’s announcement” when she said on CNN she was expecting to launch a formal bid in the coming weeks and “defended her positions on Russia and her 2017 meeting with Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad, and attacked those who have suggested she is a pawn for Moscow”.

The analysis looked at a slate of major English-language news sites Russia used in its efforts to impact the previous election and undermine Hillary Clinton’s candidacy against Donald Trump, with several experts who track the Kremlin’s digital operations noting they have seen “what they believe may be the first stirrings of an upcoming Russian campaign of support for Gabbard”.

The Hawaii lawmaker has also received a full-throated from David Duke, a leading white nationalist and former grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. Mr Duke posted a photo to his Twitter banner of Ms Gabbard with a statement reading “Tulsi Gabbard for President. Finally a candidate who will actually put America First rather than Israel First”.

TOP ARTICLES
1/6
READ MORE

Who could be running against Trump in 2020?
Show all 22
Elizabeth Warren
Hillary Clinton
Kamala Harris
Bernie Sanders
None of this is to say Ms Gabbard has sought endorsements from white nationalists or foreign adversaries; rather, she’s denounced Russian influence operations meddling in US elections and has disavowed white supremacy and the likes of Mr Duke.

“I have strongly denounced David Duke’s hateful views and his so-called ‘support’ multiple times in the past, and reject his support,” the Democrat said in a recent statement to media outlets.

A spokesperson for Ms Gabbard, Erika Tsuji, also said in a statement to NBC News it was “ridiculous” to suggest Russia supported her presidential bid.

Still, both developments have only added to a growing pool of controversies surrounding Ms Gabbard’s candidacy shortly after she kicked off her campaign with an anti-war speech at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki.

Watch more

Tulsi Gabbard: Presidential hopeful and defender of dictators
Shortly after teasing her White House bid, Ms Gabbard was forced to apologise once again for her past work for an anti-LGBTQ organisation her father had spearheaded in Hawaii.

The Democrat, who has admit to previously holding traditional views in opposition to marriage equality, said in a cellphone video uploaded to YouTube: “In my past, I said and believed things that were wrong, and worse, they were very hurtful to the people in the LGBTQ community and to their loved ones.”

“I know that LGBTQ people still struggle. They’re still facing discrimination, still facing abuse and still fear that hard-won rights are going to be taken away by people who hold views like I used to,“ Ms Gabbard continued, adding she “formed her own opinions” on the issue over the years.

Support free-thinking journalism and subscribe to Independent Minds
“That cannot happen,” she added.

Ms Gabbard has also repeatedly defended an unannounced trip she took to meet with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in 2017.
So, she is receiving support from both the Kremlin propaganda machine and the KKK. She also has a history of anti-LGBT campaigning.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

From wikipedia

“She supports abortion rights, Medicare for All, opposed the Trans-Pacific Partnership, has called for a restoration of the Glass–Steagall Act, and publicly announced her support of same-sex marriage in 2012.”

If these positions are real, why / how is she a bad ?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

K. A. Pital wrote: 2019-02-12 05:16am From wikipedia

“She supports abortion rights, Medicare for All, opposed the Trans-Pacific Partnership, has called for a restoration of the Glass–Steagall Act, and publicly announced her support of same-sex marriage in 2012.”

If these positions are real, why / how is she a bad ?
Because she is a blatant Islamophobe with a history of anti-gay campaigning. All the progressive economic policies in the world don't make up for being a bigot.

I mean, there's a reason David Duke and the Kremlin both like her (though in the Kremlin's case, its probably more because she can be used to try to drive a wedge in the Democratic Party, Bernie or Bust style).

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

That is some industrial strength horseshit you're slinging around. The part about David Duke is especially misleading, as Jimmy Dore shows HERE at the 18:05 mark:

By the way, if blatant Islamophobia turns you off so much, why are you such a dead-ender for Hillary? She was quite eager to consign millions of Muslims to being killed, raped, tortured and starved: Iraq, Libya, Syria and Yemen are strewn with corpses thanks to her. If homophobia gets your gorge to rise, why back Hillary when she and her husband were architects of "don't ask, don't tell" which gave military officers a blank check to blackmail homosexuals in the service?
Last edited by Elfdart on 2019-02-12 10:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Elfdart wrote: 2019-02-12 10:42pm That is some industrial strength horseshit you're slinging around. The part about David Duke is especially misleading, as Jimmy Dore shows HERE at the 18:05 mark:

Tulsi Gabbard's history of bigotry toward minority groups is established from numerous sources. I do not believe in cheerleading for bigots or cutting them slack simply because they're "anti-establishment" or talk a good game on economic policy.

Apparently, you feel differently.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-12 05:46pm Because she is a blatant Islamophobe with a history of anti-gay campaigning. All the progressive economic policies in the world don't make up for being a bigot.
Um... she has been supportive of gay marriage and actually elaborated on how her previous stance was wrong, directly apologizing for it. Does the acceptance of mistakes make one a bigot?

As for Islamophobia, where is this coming from? As far as I understand, she has been skeptical of the idea bombing Arab states brings positive changes and wanted to stop arms trade with Saudi Arabia after the Kashoggi murder. Neither of which makes her islamophobic.

Do elaborate, because I feel like you just react to a smear campaign that someone far smarter has begun.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

K. A. Pital wrote: 2019-02-13 04:08am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-12 05:46pm Because she is a blatant Islamophobe with a history of anti-gay campaigning. All the progressive economic policies in the world don't make up for being a bigot.
Um... she has been supportive of gay marriage and actually elaborated on how her previous stance was wrong, directly apologizing for it. Does the acceptance of mistakes make one a bigot?

As for Islamophobia, where is this coming from? As far as I understand, she has been skeptical of the idea bombing Arab states brings positive changes and wanted to stop arms trade with Saudi Arabia after the Kashoggi murder. Neither of which makes her islamophobic.

Do elaborate, because I feel like you just react to a smear campaign that someone far smarter has begun.
As noted previously in the OP, she has:

-Echoed the Republicans in attacking Obama for not using the phrase "radical Islam".

-Voted to make it more difficult for refugees from Syria and Iraq to come to the United States (targeting people for discrimination on the basis of nationality in law).

-Supported Indian Prime Minister Modi even though (or perhaps because?) he has a history of ties to the mass murder of Muslims.

-Repeatedly aligned herself with Trump and against fellow Democrats.

This is not some vague "smear campaign". This is a detailed history of substantive, specific actions on her part- not once or twice, but a pattern over years and continuing recently.

But yes, I'm well aware that some people will cut her a blank cheque, and dismiss any allegations against her as "a smear campaign", because she's against the Western Establishment and can therefore do no wrong. The enemy of your enemy is your friend, and who cares if some Muslim refugees get thrown under the bus? Its all for the greater good, I'm sure.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Keep in mind, I was not predisposed to be hostile toward Tulsi Gabbard. I greatly admired her in 2016 for being one of the few notable Democrats to endorse Bernie Sanders- hell, if you go digging, you can probably find some old posts of mine touting her as a possible VP candidate should Sanders get the nomination.

I changed my mind because accumulating evidence forced me to the conclusion that she was not a reliable ally against Trumpism, especially on the subject of Muslim and refugee rights. And because I am not yet such a hypocrite that I will condone such actions by someone who purports to be on my team, while condemning them on the other side.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I will just leave this here.

https://qz.com/india/628124/tulsi-gabba ... error/amp/

Take what you want from it.

Assalti Frontali
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-12 05:46pm
I mean, there's a reason David Duke and the Kremlin both like her (though in the Kremlin's case, its probably more because she can be used to try to drive a wedge in the Democratic Party, Bernie or Bust style).
So why does David Duke like Gabbard? I know almost nothing about her, however in a few minutes of google you can find a bit. For example why David Duke tweet support for her.

https://www.jta.org/quick-reads/david-d ... -no-thanks
Duke changed his Twitter page banner to a photo of Gabbard, D-Hawaii, with the words “Tulsi Gabbard for President. Finally a candidate who will actually put America First rather than Israel First!
He also tweeted about Gabbards less interventional stance comparing it to a NYT article about Trump wanting to stay in ME.

It gets even better because we can see Gabbards follow up to Duke's tweet, which you can see on the video Elfdart linked to. Hint, its slamming Duke.

But hey, we know your insinuation there is a reason that David Duke liked her is because you want to play the racist card.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-02-25 06:03am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-12 05:46pm
So why does David Duke like Gabbard? I know almost nothing about her, however in a few minutes of google you can find a bit. For example why David Duke tweet support for her.

https://www.jta.org/quick-reads/david-d ... -no-thanks
Duke changed his Twitter page banner to a photo of Gabbard, D-Hawaii, with the words “Tulsi Gabbard for President. Finally a candidate who will actually put America First rather than Israel First!
He also tweeted about Gabbards less interventional stance comparing it to a NYT article about Trump wanting to stay in ME.

It gets even better because we can see Gabbards follow up to Duke's tweet, which you can see on the video Elfdart linked to. Hint, its slamming Duke.

But hey, we know your insinuation there is a reason that David Duke liked her is because you want to play the racist card.
I'm aware of Duke's stated reason, thank you. In fact, I quoted it earlier in the thread. I am also aware that Gabbard disavowed Duke's endorsement. I think, however, that any candidate who almost immediate attracts Klan support should be viewed with suspicion. The last candidate Duke backed for President IIRC was Donald Trump.

I'm not "playing the racist card"- I'm noting Gabbard's factual and lengthy history of associations with bigotry in various forms. I have cited multiple specific examples from multiple sources. But still you will shill and make excuses for her because she's anti-interventionist and "anti-establishment", and in the minds of people like you, destroying the American empire is the only issue that matters, and any and all sins can be dismissed, excused, or even praised in pursuit of that goal.

God, this shit is so fucking predictable. A candidate can be an objectively horrible person in more ways than you can list, but as long as they say the right buzzwords attacking American foreign policy, the internet lemmings will fall all over themselves to praise them like the second coming and give them carte blanch. Two fucking years of Donald Fucking Trump, and you've learned absolutely nothing.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-25 06:23am
I'm aware of Duke's stated reason, thank you. In fact, I quoted it earlier in the thread. I am also aware that Gabbard disavowed Duke's endorsement. I think, however, that any candidate who almost immediate attracts Klan support should be viewed with suspicion. The last candidate Duke backed for President IIRC was Donald Trump.
That's a guilt by association fallacy. The reason why he likes her is more pertinent. And if all it is is that she doesn't want to support Israel, then frankly a lot of leftist who are not racist would be considered racist. Er sorry, I mean vulnerable to the smear of "there is a reason Duke likes them."

If you are sick of people like me, then I am damn well sick of people who keep on using this guilt by association fallacy. How many times have people been smeared as Russian stooge, or accused of being like Trump for merely pointing out that some of the media, are utter shite. But that's ok, because Trump hates those media outlets. This is pure tribalism.
I'm not "playing the racist card"- I'm noting Gabbard's factual and lengthy history of associations with bigotry in various forms. I have cited multiple specific examples from multiple sources.
I am aware of her homophobic views. I am however referring specifically to what you mean when you say "I mean, there's a reason David Duke and the Kremlin both like her." Since Duke tweeted in reference to an article about Trump wanting to stay in the ME, it more likely is because he agrees with her views on intervention, rather than because he agreed with her views on race, and its clear they have opposing views on race.
But still you will shill and make excuses for her because she's anti-interventionist and "anti-establishment", and in the minds of people like you, destroying the American empire is the only issue that matters, and any and all sins can be dismissed, excused, or even praised in pursuit of that goal.
I haven't once mentioned whether I think she will make a great or crap POTUS, yet alone try to justify one of the other. I am pointing out saying David Duke like her is a pretty blatant smear, especially when it appears his stated rationale for liking her is but because she also favours non intervention like he does and not because of any racist shit, of which frankly, there are better candidates for that crap.
God, this shit is so fucking predictable. A candidate can be an objectively horrible person in more ways than you can list, but as long as they say the right buzzwords attacking American foreign policy, the internet lemmings will fall all over themselves to praise them like the second coming and give them carte blanch. Two fucking years of Donald Fucking Trump, and you've learned absolutely nothing.
I was planning to go down that route since I was merely pointing out your blatant use of a smear. But hey, since you want to go down that route...

As opposed to 7 decades of horrible American Foreign policy. :lol: This game is fun. I would add the rhetoric about "you've learned absolutely nothing", but its actually true, because people here had to educate you on the shit America has been doing.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Elfdart wrote: 2019-02-12 10:42pm That is some industrial strength horseshit you're slinging around. The part about David Duke is especially misleading, as Jimmy Dore shows HERE at the 18:05 mark:

By the way, if blatant Islamophobia turns you off so much, why are you such a dead-ender for Hillary? She was quite eager to consign millions of Muslims to being killed, raped, tortured and starved: Iraq, Libya, Syria and Yemen are strewn with corpses thanks to her. If homophobia gets your gorge to rise, why back Hillary when she and her husband were architects of "don't ask, don't tell" which gave military officers a blank check to blackmail homosexuals in the service?
Jimmy dores an idiot. Gabbard defended Assad and his various atrocities

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Jimmy_Dore