Trump fails to destroy child's faith in Santa.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Trump fails to destroy child's faith in Santa.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/u ... inal-quip/
President Donald Trump set off a Christmas social-media storm when he questioned whether a seven-year-old was too long in the tooth to believe in Santa Claus.

But not to worry.

The child, Collman Lloyd, from Lexington, S.C., told the Post and Courier newspaper she was still a believer. She and her two siblings left iced sugar cookies and milk out for Saint Nick overnight and, in the morning, the treats were gone and presents were under the tree.

Twitter had lit up after Mr. Trump, capping a week of plunging stocks, a government shutdown and the U.S. defence chief’s unceremonious departure, cast doubt on the cherished childhood fantasy.

“Are you still a believer in Santa?” Mr. Trump asked Collman in a phone call. “Because at 7, it’s marginal, right?”

In a video her family posted on the internet, she replied “Yes sir,” later telling the newspaper she had no idea what “marginal” meant.

Mr. Trump made the comment during a holiday event with first lady Melania Trump, taking calls from children calling the North American Aerospace Defense Command Santa tracker.

A Christmas tradition, the tracker delights children with “real-time” updates on his Christmas Eve journey.

“It’s just too freaking fantastic that Trump spent his Christmas Eve calling seven-year-olds and telling them believing in Santa at their age is ‘marginal,’” Democratic Senator Chris Murphy said on his Twitter account.

“Actually there is no heaven,” tweeted Dan Amira, head writer for The Daily Show with Trevor Noah comedy show. “When you die you just rot in the ground and get eaten by worms. Okay Merry Christmas, Timmy.”

The White House had no immediate comment on the social-media response to the President’s Santa comments.

Stuck in Washington on Christmas morning because of the partial federal government shutdown, Mr. Trump displayed little holiday cheer to reporters after a 20-minute video conference with U.S. troops serving abroad.

He assailed the Federal Reserve for raising interest rates, railed against Democrats who refuse to fund the wall he wants to build on the U.S.-Mexico border and blasted the investigation into his campaign’s alleged ties to Russia, among other regular targets.

The President then closed with holiday wishes of sorts. “It’s a disgrace, what’s happening in our country,” he said. “But other than that, I wish everyone a very merry Christmas.”
First- wow. The President actually mocked a little kid for believing in Santa on Christmas. The man really is a real life cartoon villain.

Second, it's actually kind of impressive how Trump manages to find a way to be a maximum dick in every single situation. A man who lies all the time manages to tell the truth- but only when it will hurt a small child on Christmas. :banghead:

Third, given that everything that pours out of Trump's mouth is usually horse shit, I'd say that the kid actually has pretty good instincts. :D
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Re: Trump fails to destroy child's faith in Santa.

Post by AniThyng »

I'm trying to imagine the caricature old SDN where we circle around how it is abusive to enable a 7 year old child's continuing belief in nonexistent entities like Santa and God. :D

I mean "its marginal" really does sound like a fair question. Shouldnt 7 year olds know better?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump fails to destroy child's faith in Santa.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Eh. No sillier (and a lot less hateful and bigoted) than believing in a literal interpretation of the Bible, like most of Trump's base does.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.