George HW Bush has died

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: George HW Bush has died

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-07 02:27am
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-12-07 02:21am
The Romulan Republic wrote:And a fair-sized army of protesters as close as the Secret Service permits them to be, no doubt.
You mean "largest crowd for any Presidential funeral in history," right?
Hell, I'd be willing to fly down to DC to protest the funeral when that fucker kicks the bucket. Usually I'm willing to show some respect to the deceased even if I despised them in life, but I'll be damned if Donald "Treason" Trump gets a dignified send-off at taxpayer expense.
But, he will. As Nixon's death taught me, the evil men do is often buried with them, and the good is manufactured from whole cloth. Or, in Trump's case, cloth of gold.
Well, the US does have a history of honouring traitors (see: every Confederate statue ever). But I think that if we should make one exception, as a nation, to "Don't speak ill of the dead", it should be Donald Trump, whenever his time comes. I wouldn't say that if it was just his private funeral- I would let his family mourn him in peace, if they cared to do so. But from a moral perspective, a man who betrayed his country does not have the right to be buried with honours at his country's expense. And pragmatically, if a country honours traitors, it only encourages further treason.
I agree with you. I'm just saying that's what is most likely to happen. Hell, even Benedict Arnold has been partially rehabilitated as a mere victim of his evil, money grubbing shrew of a wife.

Every man ever had a statue made of him has been one kinda sumbitch or another, Rom. That's unaaceptible, but a lot more people than you and I have to change our way of thinking , before it stops being normal.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-12-07 02:56am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-07 02:27am
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-12-07 02:21am

You mean "largest crowd for any Presidential funeral in history," right?

But, he will. As Nixon's death taught me, the evil men do is often buried with them, and the good is manufactured from whole cloth. Or, in Trump's case, cloth of gold.
Well, the US does have a history of honouring traitors (see: every Confederate statue ever). But I think that if we should make one exception, as a nation, to "Don't speak ill of the dead", it should be Donald Trump, whenever his time comes. I wouldn't say that if it was just his private funeral- I would let his family mourn him in peace, if they cared to do so. But from a moral perspective, a man who betrayed his country does not have the right to be buried with honours at his country's expense. And pragmatically, if a country honours traitors, it only encourages further treason.
I agree with you. I'm just saying that's what is most likely to happen. Hell, even Benedict Arnold has been partially rehabilitated as a mere victim of his evil, money grubbing shrew of a wife.
Ah, America- where hatred of women can Trump even hatred of traitors.*
Every man ever had a statue made of him has been one kinda sumbitch or another, Rom. That's unaaceptible, but a lot more people than you and I have to change our way of thinking , before it stops being normal.
One of my favourite Mal quotes.

*Edit: If only deeply-rooted misogyny were a purely American problem. Humanity has a long tradition of blaming men's evil on women (FYI: theatre actor who fully maintains that Lady Macbeth was not as evil as her husband or responsible for his fall).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

And didn't Benedict Arnold also get passed over for promotion, hauled before Congress on -no pun intended- trumped-up charges and generally treated rather shabbily by the government he was fighting for because he'd made enemies of a few powerful people? (Admittedly he'd made those enemies by being an unscrupulous opportunist with an attitude problem, but still.)
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Zaune wrote: 2018-12-07 09:43am And didn't Benedict Arnold also get passed over for promotion, hauled before Congress on -no pun intended- trumped-up charges and generally treated rather shabbily by the government he was fighting for because he'd made enemies of a few powerful people? (Admittedly he'd made those enemies by being an unscrupulous opportunist with an attitude problem, but still.)
Yes, yes, yws, and yes.

Fast Fact: The unit of British Loyalists Arnold formed was called...the American Legion
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The Romulan Rrpublic wrote:*Edit: If only deeply-rooted misogyny were a purely American problem. Humanity has a long tradition of blaming men's evil on women (FYI: theatre actor who fully maintains that Lady Macbeth was not as evil as her husband or responsible for his fall).
True. However, to butcher a line from the New Testament, we have to pull the awl from our own eyes, before dealing with the mote of dust in another's.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-07 02:27am Well, the US does have a history of honouring traitors (see: every Confederate statue ever).
Also, Washington & friends. :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Gandalf wrote: 2018-12-07 04:54pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-07 02:27am Well, the US does have a history of honouring traitors (see: every Confederate statue ever).
To be strictly fair: memoralizing the victorious founders of your country is a different proposition than memorializing the founders and perpetrators of a failed revolt against said country. For your comment to work, we would have to still be British subjects.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-12-07 05:11pm
Gandalf wrote: 2018-12-07 04:54pm
To be strictly fair: memoralizing the victorious founders of your country is a different proposition than memorializing the founders and perpetrators of a failed revolt against said country. For your comment to work, we would have to still be British subjects.
A traitor is a traitor, regardless of whether or not they win.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Not if they're no longer part of the nation they'd be a traitor to
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

And, England did recognize the US' independence in the 1783 Treaty of Paris.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

So if the Confederacy had somehow gained independence and recognition, Davis et al would no longer be traitorous?

- George Carlin
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Gandalf wrote: 2018-12-08 09:01am So if the Confederacy had somehow gained independence and recognition, Davis et al would no longer be traitorous?
Yes. From a certain point of view.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, traitors or not, they'd still have been slaving pieces of shit, which is more important (which, yes, would apply to a significant percentage of America's founders, although they did not separate for the express purpose of preserving and expanding slavery, as the South did).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-08 02:38pm Well, traitors or not, they'd still have been slaving pieces of shit, which is more important (which, yes, would apply to a significant percentage of America's founders, although they did not separate for the express purpose of preserving and expanding slavery, as the South did).
No, but they were slaveholders who separated for the purpose of (among other things) expanding westward.
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-12-08 09:04amYes. From a certain point of view.
Meaning...?

- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gandalf wrote: 2018-12-08 03:12pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-08 02:38pm Well, traitors or not, they'd still have been slaving pieces of shit, which is more important (which, yes, would apply to a significant percentage of America's founders, although they did not separate for the express purpose of preserving and expanding slavery, as the South did).
No, but they were slaveholders who separated for the purpose of (among other things) expanding westward.
True. The real losers of the war were the Native Americans.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-08 03:21pm
Gandalf wrote: 2018-12-08 03:12pm
True. The real losers of the war were the Native Americans.
Pretty much. Another way of looking at it is that the war was a group of rich white men starting a war so they didn't have to give money to a richer white man across the Atlantic. It's pretty hard to take their grandiose claims about freedom seriously given what the early US looked like.

- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I think though that the idea is worth something, even though it wasn't lived up to at the time. By wrapping their cause in rhetoric of freedom and equality, and creating mechanisms to amend the Constitution in the future, they ensured that the country would continue to aspire toward being a more just society.