Migrants rescued at Dover amid spike in illegal English Channel crossings

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Migrants rescued at Dover amid spike in illegal English Channel crossings

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Migrants rescued at Dover amid spike in illegal English Channel crossings.

Eight migrants have been rescued from a dinghy off the Kent coast, as concerns continue to grow over a spike in illegal attempts at crossing the English Channel.

The latest group, who are believed to be Iranian, brought the total number of migrants found crossing the Channel by boat this week to 42.

All of the men rescued on Friday morning are now being interviewed by immigration officials.

They were pictured wrapped in blankets – having travelled in clothing unsuitable for the cold weather.

The Home Office has confirmed that, in the last two weeks alone, 86 migrants have been detained at sea - more than six times the number for the whole of 2017.

It is not clear what has sparked the increase in numbers.

A spokesperson for the Home Office said: “A Border Force coastal patrol vessel was deployed and intercepted a dinghy off the Kent coast with eight people on board.

”The dinghy and those on board were brought into Dover where they were met by Border Force officers.“

The migrants have said they set off with "three or four" other boats from a sandy beach in France but the coastguard has been unable to locate the rest.

Fourteen migrants were rescued off the Kent coast on Thursday, with another 11 pulled from boats on the English Channel by French authorities the same day.

A further nine migrants were discovered clambering rocks in Folkestone on Sunday after landing in a small boat.

James Salmon works at Dover Marina Services and told ITV News: “Last week it just exploded. Absolutely exploded. Three or four days of settled weather and I think it was in the region of 60 came across that we know of – we had then another few days of rough weather – it’s come calm again. And again, they’re just flooding on over.”

The Home Office say they are increasing checks at sea and on land – insisting the key is to dismantle the organised crime routes that facilitate illegal immigration.

It is thought traffickers are telling migrants that crossing will become harder after Brexit with more border checks.

Charlie Elphicke, the MP for Dover and Deal told ITV News: "It's incredibly concerning. As winter sets in, it becomes steadily more dangerous.

"It's only a matter of time before there is a tragedy in the English Channel."
The media has been quick to point out the obvious parallels with the situation on the US/Mexican border. No-one can explain the surge in numbers, especially with the weather making an already-dangerous journey even more perilous.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Migrants rescued at Dover amid spike in illegal English Channel crossings

Post by Broomstick »

Here's my explanation: desperation.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

What kind of morally-broken deviant does one have to be to see desperate civilians (including children) as an invasion which must be kept out or destroyed by force?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Hmm, why would they try to go to a country that is quickly becoming less safe for minorities than the one they were in?
Last edited by Tribble on 2018-11-28 03:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Because people always think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-11-28 03:05pm What kind of morally-broken deviant does one have to be to see desperate civilians (including children) as an invasion which must be kept out or destroyed by force?
Britain spent centuries tearing up countries for its own good. Conquest, genocide, slavery, and so on. Maybe British nationalists are worried that people will come looking to get what they're owed.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-11-28 03:14pm Because people always think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence?
If that is the main reason my sympathies would be rather limited. At least with respect to the migrants coming in from Mexico to the USA one could argue that Mexico isnt a safe enough country for them to be in. IMO "I think the grass is greener in the UK than France" isnt a good reason for the migrants to illegally smuggle themselves into the UK unless there is a valid reason as to why France isnt safe enough (which given the current state of things in the UK is pretty unlikely).

Are there any indications they were trying to reunite with families or something?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-11-28 03:05pm What kind of morally-broken deviant does one have to be to see desperate civilians (including children) as an invasion which must be kept out or destroyed by force?
People who lost faith/trust in their ability to assimilate newcomers, especially if they are of a different religious background. There is a view that unless they can become "properly British" (i.e strongly secular or Christian in this case), they are not welcomed.
Tribble wrote: 2018-11-28 03:34pm If that is the main reason my sympathies would be rather limited. At least with respect to the migrants coming in from Mexico to the USA one could argue that Mexico isnt a safe enough country for them to be in. IMO "I think the grass is greener in the UK than France" isnt a good reason for the migrants to illegally smuggle themselves into the UK unless there is a valid reason as to why France isnt safe enough (which given the current state of things in the UK is pretty unlikely).

Are there any indications they were trying to reunite with families or something?
The UK does not mandate any form of ID, so it is much harder to know if someone is here illegally. And there's seem to be a mindset that the UK is relatively more tolerant of Muslim minorities from the Middle East than France. And word-of-mouth/ linguistic links is an important factor as well. It's why Germany and various Nordic countries was initially not very high on refugees' radar.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Also, France's approach to caring for asylum applicants while they wait for their claims to be processed is... lacking. At least in England they'd be entitled to a bed in a homeless shelter while their claim was being considered.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'm guessing someone had a notion that by making things VERY unpleasant for the refugees the problem would somehow or other go away. In other words, if the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence blast the grass on your side with herbicide so the other side will, in fact, be greener.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Broomstick wrote: 2018-11-28 06:02pmI'm guessing someone had a notion that by making things VERY unpleasant for the refugees the problem would somehow or other go away. In other words, if the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence blast the grass on your side with herbicide so the other side will, in fact, be greener.
Otherwise known as "less eligibility". Some things never change...
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog