More Mueller news: Whitaker, Treason, and Farage.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Mueller Investigation Superthread

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Trump has given the new AG, William Barr's, children new positions in his government, including placing Barr's son on his legal team (this could potentially mean that the AG's son would be involved with Trump's legal defence on Russia while his father is overseeing the Mueller probe).

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... reddit.com
[Donald Trump has appointed the son-in-law of his next attorney general to the White House legal office, sparking fresh conflict-of-interest concerns in an administration that has increasingly become a family affair.

Tyler McGaughey, who is married to attorney general William Barr’s youngest daughter, left his post in the Justice Department for the new role.

News of the transition broke just as the US Senate voted to confirm Mr Barr as the nation’s next chief law enforcement officer on Friday afternoon.

The attorney general refused to commit to recusing himself from overseeing special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, despite previously describing the probe as “fatally misconceived” in an unsolicited memo sent to the Justice Department.

His son-in-law will now join a division of the White House legal team whose work reportedly intersects with the Russia investigation. However, he has not been assigned to the team responsible for defending the president in the special counsel’s probe.

TOP ARTICLES
3/6
READ MORE
Short prison sentences of six months or less
should be abolished, justice secretary says

The biggest names involved in the Trump-Russia investigation
Show all 17
Paul Manafort
Rick Gates
George Papadopoulos
Donald Trump Jr
Mary Daly, Mr Barr’s oldest daughter who also worked at the Justice Department within the deputy attorney general’s office as the director of Opioid Enforcement and Prevention Efforts, has also found a new role at the Treasury Department’s financial crimes unit. She will now work at the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), though her specific role was not immediately clear.

Watch more

Trump’s AG pick defends Mueller and says he won’t be ‘bullied’
Ms Daly’s husband — who also works at the Justice Department — was expected to remain in his post within the department’s national security division, CNN reported.

Walter Shaub, former director of the Office of Government Ethics, described the attorney general’s son-in-law joining the White House legal team as “concerning,” though he said it was “a good idea” for Mr Barr’s family to leave their posts in the Justice Department in order to “avoid the bad optics that could come from the appearance of them working for him”.

“That’s troubling because it raises further questions about Barr’s independence,” Mr Shaub told the network about Mr McGaughey’s new role in the White House.

When questioned about the 20-page memo he sent to the department denouncing the special counsel’s probe, Mr Barr said he would request counsel from the Justice Department’s career ethics officials, but said he would “make my decision based on the law and the facts”.

Support free-thinking journalism and subscribe to Independent Minds
There were at least 20 families in which multiple members held federal positions across Mr Trump’s administration, according to a Daily Beast report published in 2017.

Many of the president’s own family members either hold senior White House positions or top roles in his 2020 re-election campaign, including his daughter-in-law Lara Trump, whose White House meetings with administration officials have also sparked controversy./quote]

Yet another reason that Barr should (but won't) recuse himself.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Jesus Fucking Christ. Roger Stone decided that the best way to defend himself was to POST A PICTURE OF THE JUDGE PRESIDING OVER HIS TRIAL WITH CROSSHAIRS OVER HER HEAD:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politcs/po ... rs-796184/
Roger Stone continued his strange post-arrest media strategy on Monday by posting an Instagram photo of the federal judge who is presiding over his case with crosshairs near her head. Shortly after posting it, however, Stone deleted the image from his Instagram feed.
The photo, of U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson, who placed a limited gag order on Stone just last week, was posted along with text, presumingly from Stone himself, that included mentions of the “Deep State” and, of course, all of the usual conspiracy subjects and suspects: Benghazi, Hillary Clinton and Obama. And it wouldn’t be a Roger Stone production if it didn’t include some kind of profiteering or a fundraising hook.

“Through legal trickery Deep State hitman Robert Mueller has guaranteed that my upcoming show trial is before Judge Amy Berman Jackson , an Obama appointed Judge who dismissed the Benghazi charges again [sic] Hillary Clinton and incarcerated Paul Manafort prior to his conviction for any crime. #fixisin Help me fight for my life at @StoneDefenseFund.com,” the post said.
Obviously, including the crosshairs in the post might be taken as a threat and could prompt one of Stone’s unstable supporters to act out violently. It’s clear Stone has reasons to continue his media blitz: raise money to cover legal costs, attempt to win over some public opinion and continue to prove to President Trump that he won’t back down in hopes of a future pardon. But this latest attention grab is baffling.
Yeah, I'm sure the judge will be inclined to go easy on you now, you fucking waste product of the Nixon administration.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-18 05:14pm Jesus Fucking Christ. Roger Stone decided that the best way to defend himself was to POST A PICTURE OF THE JUDGE PRESIDING OVER HIS TRIAL WITH CROSSHAIRS OVER HER HEAD:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politcs/po ... rs-796184/
Roger Stone continued his strange post-arrest media strategy on Monday by posting an Instagram photo of the federal judge who is presiding over his case with crosshairs near her head. Shortly after posting it, however, Stone deleted the image from his Instagram feed.
The photo, of U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson, who placed a limited gag order on Stone just last week, was posted along with text, presumingly from Stone himself, that included mentions of the “Deep State” and, of course, all of the usual conspiracy subjects and suspects: Benghazi, Hillary Clinton and Obama. And it wouldn’t be a Roger Stone production if it didn’t include some kind of profiteering or a fundraising hook.

“Through legal trickery Deep State hitman Robert Mueller has guaranteed that my upcoming show trial is before Judge Amy Berman Jackson , an Obama appointed Judge who dismissed the Benghazi charges again [sic] Hillary Clinton and incarcerated Paul Manafort prior to his conviction for any crime. #fixisin Help me fight for my life at @StoneDefenseFund.com,” the post said.
Obviously, including the crosshairs in the post might be taken as a threat and could prompt one of Stone’s unstable supporters to act out violently. It’s clear Stone has reasons to continue his media blitz: raise money to cover legal costs, attempt to win over some public opinion and continue to prove to President Trump that he won’t back down in hopes of a future pardon. But this latest attention grab is baffling.
Yeah, I'm sure the judge will be inclined to go easy on you now, you fucking waste product of the Nixon administration.
Actually eagle109 at SB actually sent the instagram post in question to the FBI because sweet Jesus, Mary, and Joseph this is insane.

Stone Posted A Picture Of The Federal Judge On His Case With Crosshairs (Talking Points Memo)

Roger Stone put a picture of Judge Amy Berman Jackson on his Instagram account with crosshairs. In the post, he accused her of being a Deep State hitman. Stone has now deleted it, but if he's going to pull those kind of stunts, he may find himself in the same situation as Manafort, bail revoked and sitting in prison until trial. Federal judges aren't going to take kindly to actions that can easily be interpreted as threats.

Yeah... this is happening. Both the above and below are crossposted from SB.

For those that missed it, Kyle Griffin screencapped it.

In his latest Instagram post, Roger Stone attacks Judge Amy Berman Jackson, the federal judge overseeing his case. There is a crosshair in the upper left corner of the picture.

2:40 PM EST 18 Feb 2019
The originating photoshopped pic:

Looks like a version of that picture was posted on this conspiracy blog a few days ago.

Code: Select all

https://aim4truth.org/2019/02/16/cat-report/

2:52 PM EST 18 Feb 2019
It's from the website aim4truth.org, "American Intelligence Media", another conspiracy-RWNJ site from the looks of the headers alone. (Those aren't "headlines".)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Note that terroristic threats are nothing new for Roger Stone, although it takes a special kind of self-destructive idiocy to publicly threaten the judge presiding over your trial. He repeatedly has threatened that an attempt to remove Trump from office would result in civil war.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Don't these idiots know that Roberts is so conservative that his favorite part of the chicken is the right wing?! Damn, conspiritards will believe any old bullshit, won't they?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2019-02-18 09:36pm Don't these idiots know that Roberts is so conservative that his favorite part of the chicken is the right wing?! Damn, conspiritards will believe any old bullshit, won't they?
The thing about Roberts is that he usually rules conservative (perhaps most shamefully on the Muslim Ban), but every now and then he breaks with the Right on major issues, such as Obamacare and gay marriage. Which to the rabid Right is an unforgivable betrayal, rather than the impartiality that a Justice is supposed to show.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-18 09:40pm
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2019-02-18 09:36pm Don't these idiots know that Roberts is so conservative that his favorite part of the chicken is the right wing?! Damn, conspiritards will believe any old bullshit, won't they?
The thing about Roberts is that he usually rules conservative (perhaps most shamefully on the Muslim Ban), but every now and then he breaks with the Right on major issues, such as Obamacare and gay marriage. Which to the rabid Right is an unforgivable betrayal, rather than the impartiality that a Justice is supposed to show.
So, like most cults, right wingers must spout all of the dogma, all the time, or they're heretics. Gotcha
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Pretty much, yeah.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-18 05:14pm Jesus Fucking Christ. Roger Stone decided that the best way to defend himself was to POST A PICTURE OF THE JUDGE PRESIDING OVER HIS TRIAL WITH CROSSHAIRS OVER HER HEAD:
Looks like he's decided that a pardon is his only way out.

Question is, how does this affect his chances of getting Trump to pardon him ?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

He's now backtracked and is trying to claim he didn't mean it that way and blame it on his aids. :roll:

GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

Eh, given that this shitstorm has ties to Brexit...

Russia is trying to out-Belka fucking Belka at this rate.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Relating to the questions of "what is the evidence for collusion by Stone" and "If he did it, why hasn't Mueller charged him for it":

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 905195002/
Mueller says Stone communicated with WikiLeaks and the GRU. He could be holding back charges for strategic reasons. That's what I did as a prosecutor.

One of the most intriguing recent court filings in special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation came Friday in a brief arguing that Roger Stone’s case is related to the indictment against 12 officers from Russia's GRU military intelligence agency. They were charged with conspiring to defraud the United States by hacking, stealing and staging the release of email messages.

Stone was indicted in January on various charges of obstructing the House intelligence Committee investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. Under local court rules, cases should be designated as “related” if they arise “from a common wiretap, search warrant, or activities which are a part of the same alleged criminal event or transaction.” Related cases are then assigned to the same judge.

Mueller argues that Stone’s case meets this standard because evidence in his case “was found in accounts that were subject to search warrants” that were executed in the GRU case, and because his alleged obstruction was "directed at a congressional investigation into conduct" that was the basis for the GRU indictment.

Evidence of Stone contact with GRU, WikiLeaks

One detail in the new filing jumps out. It says “the government obtained and executed dozens of search warrants on various accounts used to facilitate the transfer of stolen documents for release, as well as to discuss the timing and promotion of their release. Several of those search warrants were executed on accounts that contained Stone’s communications with Guccifer 2.0 and with Organization 1.”

Guccifer 2.0 is alleged to be a persona operated by the GRU, and Organization 1 is believed to be WikiLeaks.

This passage is revealing for several reasons. First, the filing discloses that the government has evidence of Stone’s direct communications with Russian intelligence and WikiLeaks. This revelation goes much further than the Stone indictment itself and establishes a direct link between Russia and Stone, a Trump campaign adviser.

Referring to these communications as “evidence” suggests that the special counsel considers the communications probative and relevant to proving Stone’s guilt. Whatever these communications are, we can reasonably conclude that they are incriminating.

Second, the filing indicates that search warrants were used to obtain these communications. Search warrants can be used to obtain email and social media accounts, including the content of every email or Twitter direct message a user has ever sent or received. These communications would help Mueller determine whether Stone was ever in direct contact with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, as Stone claimed in August 2016.

In addition, a search warrant can be used to obtain emails from internet service providers doing business in the United States, even if the account user is overseas. If, for example, a Russian hacker were using a Gmail account, a search warrant to Google could provide every email ever sent or received on that account. And if the special counsel has obtained Stone’s email communications, it seems likely that he has also obtained the email communications of others, such as Donald Trump Jr., who has admitted to sending email messages to set up a meeting with Russians to obtain dirt on Hillary Clinton in June 2016.

Third, the phrase “to discuss the timing and promotion of their release” emphasizes that Mueller considers the conspiracy with which he has charged the Russian intelligence officers to include not just hacking and stealing emails, but also disseminating them. The GRU indictment provides a framework for adding as co-conspirators anyone else who conspired to promote the release of the stolen emails at a time that would be most beneficial to Trump’s campaign.

In fact, one batch of emails was released about an hour after news broke about the "Access Hollywood" tape in which Trump was heard disparaging women. If someone from the campaign suggested to WikiLeaks that stolen emails be released that day, that person could potentially be charged as a co-conspirator in the GRU case.

Strategic reasons to hold back on charges

Why, then, has Stone not been charged with conspiring with WikiLeaks or Russian intelligence officers? It could be that the evidence does not prove his agreement to engage in a conspiracy. Or it might be that Mueller is holding back on charging Stone as he investigates other targets.

When I served as a prosecutor, we sometimes strategically waited before charging every crime we believed we could prove. Mueller may be doing the same here for a number of reasons.

First, Mueller might want to avoid tipping off other targets until he has been able to gather all of the evidence against them. Second, by charging only the seven counts in the Stone indictment, Mueller doesn't have to produce to Stone discovery or evidence of other crimes while he continues to investigate the roles of other targets. Court rules would require such disclosure of charged crimes. And third, by holding back more serious crimes, Mueller has leverage over Stone to offer a plea and cooperation deal that is less severe than it would be if more crimes were charged.

If that's the case, then a superseding indictment with more charges, and maybe more defendants, may be in Stone’s future.

Barbara McQuade, a former U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan, is a professor at the University of Michigan Law School. Follow her on Twitter: @barbmcquade

You can read diverse opinions from our Board of Contributors and other writers on the Opinion front page, on Twitter @usatodayopinion and in our daily Opinion newsletter. To respond to a column, submit a comment to letters@usatoday.com.

Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-02-17 10:50pm
Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2019-02-17 09:56am
Participation by foreign nationals in decisions involving election-related activities. A foreign national shall not direct, dictate, control, or directly or indirectly participate in the decision-making process of any person, such as a corporation, labor organization, political committee, or political organization with regard to such person's Federal or non-Federal election-related activities, such as decisions concerning the making of contributions, donations, expenditures, or disbursements in connection with elections for any Federal, State, or local office or decisions concerning the administration of a political committee.
Can someone please explain the bolded bit to me? Because that seems needlessly vague.
It is incredibly vague. So far as I can tell, that's the only place in the entire book of US federal regulations that uses language like that. Historically, as I believe I mentioned in an earlier post, these regulations were put into place after the 1996 election, during which there were allegations that Bill Clinton's campaign received support from China. At the time, there were no real specific regulations on the subject, so the FEC was intentionally given a rather broad writ to decide what constituted "participation". Online searching for commentary on this code hasn't turned up anything other than various statements about how vague it is.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2019-02-19 09:34pmIt is incredibly vague. So far as I can tell, that's the only place in the entire book of US federal regulations that uses language like that. Historically, as I believe I mentioned in an earlier post, these regulations were put into place after the 1996 election, during which there were allegations that Bill Clinton's campaign received support from China. At the time, there were no real specific regulations on the subject, so the FEC was intentionally given a rather broad writ to decide what constituted "participation". Online searching for commentary on this code hasn't turned up anything other than various statements about how vague it is.
Indeed. So if the BBC (or any similar agency) ran some huge exposé on their own UK hosted site, which is turn caused a lot of Americans to change their votes, are they in trouble?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gandalf wrote: 2019-02-19 09:44pm
Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2019-02-19 09:34pmIt is incredibly vague. So far as I can tell, that's the only place in the entire book of US federal regulations that uses language like that. Historically, as I believe I mentioned in an earlier post, these regulations were put into place after the 1996 election, during which there were allegations that Bill Clinton's campaign received support from China. At the time, there were no real specific regulations on the subject, so the FEC was intentionally given a rather broad writ to decide what constituted "participation". Online searching for commentary on this code hasn't turned up anything other than various statements about how vague it is.
Indeed. So if the BBC (or any similar agency) ran some huge exposé on their own UK hosted site, which is turn caused a lot of Americans to change their votes, are they in trouble?
No, they wouldn't be, because that's routine journalism. I mean, unless the government went full authoritarian with the goal of shutting down dissenting press, but if they wanted to do that, they could probably find other pretexts.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-19 09:52pm
Gandalf wrote: 2019-02-19 09:44pm
No, they wouldn't be, because that's routine journalism. I mean, unless the government went full authoritarian with the goal of shutting down dissenting press, but if they wanted to do that, they could probably find other pretexts.
Is there an exemption for "routine journalism?"
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-02-20 03:09am Is there an exemption for "routine journalism?"
Um ... yes. I even explicitly quoted the relevant passage of the law in my original post, which was specifically directed at you, to answer this very question. Since you appear to have missed it, here it is again:
(d) The term “agent of a foreign principal” does not include any news or press service or association organized under the laws of the United States or of any State or other place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, or any newspaper, magazine, periodical, or other publication for which there is on file with the United States Postal Service information in compliance with section 3611 [2] of title 39, published in the United States, solely by virtue of any bona fide news or journalistic activities, including the solicitation or acceptance of advertisements, subscriptions, or other compensation therefor, so long as it is at least 80 per centum beneficially owned by, and its officers and directors, if any, are citizens of the United States, and such news or press service or association, newspaper, magazine, periodical, or other publication, is not owned, directed, supervised, controlled, subsidized, or financed, and none of its policies are determined by any foreign principal defined in subsection (b) of this section, or by any agent of a foreign principal required to register under this subchapter
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/politics ... index.html
Justice Department preparing for Mueller report as early as next week

Key players in the Mueller Russia investigation
Washington (CNN) — Attorney General Bill Barr is preparing to announce as early as next week the completion of Robert Mueller's Russia investigation, with plans for Barr to submit to Congress soon after a summary of Mueller's confidential report, according to people familiar with the plans.

The preparations are the clearest indication yet that Mueller is nearly done with his almost two-year investigation.

The precise timing of the announcement is subject to change.

The scope and contours of what Barr will send to Congress remain unclear. Also unclear is how long it will take Justice officials to prepare what will be submitted to lawmakers.

But with President Donald Trump soon to travel overseas for a summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, Justice officials are mindful of not interfering with the White House's diplomatic efforts, which could impact the timing.
The Justice Department and the special counsel's office declined to comment.

Barr has said that he wants to be as "transparent" as possible with Congress and the public, "consistent with the rules and the law."

Under the special counsel regulations, Mueller must submit a "confidential" report to the attorney general at the conclusion of his work, but the rules don't require it to be shared with Congress, or by extension, the public. And, as Barr has made clear, the Justice Department generally guards against publicizing "derogatory" information about uncharged individuals.

As a result, one of the most pressing questions Barr will face in the coming weeks is the extent to which Mueller's findings should be disclosed to Congress.

The regulations require Mueller to explain in his report all decisions to prosecute or not prosecute matters under scrutiny. Barr would also need to inform Congress if the Justice Department prevented the special counsel team from pursuing any investigative steps.

Speculation about the end of the probe has been running rampant in Washington. NBC News reported recently the probe would be done by mid-February.

Life after Mueller

While the Mueller investigation may soon come to a close, there continue to be court cases that will be handled by other federal prosecutors.

In addition, Mueller has referred certain matters that fell outside the scope of the Russia probe to other US Attorneys to pursue. Some of those investigations have already been revealed, including the investigation in New York into former Trump's former lawyer, Michael Cohen. That probe has spawned subsequent federal investigations in New York into the Trump Organization and the Trump Inaugural Committee. It is possible the special counsel's team has referred other matters that have not yet come to light.

For close watchers of the federal courthouse and the Mueller team, small changes have added up in recent weeks.

On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday last week, special counsel's office employees carried boxes and pushed a cart full of files out of their office -- an unusual move that could foreshadow a hand-off of legal work.

At the same time, the Mueller prosecutors' workload appears to be dwindling. Four of Mueller's 17 prosecutors have ended their tenures with the office, with most returning to other roles in the Justice Department.

And the grand jury that Mueller's prosecutors used to return indictments of longtime Trump confidant Roger Stone, former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, and several Russians hasn't apparently convened since January 24 the day it approved the criminal charges against Stone.

Even with these signs of a wrap up, the DC US Attorney's office has stepped in to work on cases that may continue longer than Mueller is the special counsel.

That office has joined onto some of the Mueller's team's casework, including the cases against Stone, a Russian social media propaganda conspiracy, and in an ongoing foreign government-owned company's fight against a grand jury subpoena.

Mueller and his prosecutors are still reporting to work as frequently as ever -- with some even coming in on recent snow days and Presidents' Day. But also visiting them more often than ever before are the prosecutors from the DC US Attorney's Office and others in the Justice Department who've worked on the Mueller cases.

In one court case, against Concord Management for its alleged support for the social media conspiracy prosecutors told a judge in January there's still a related "matter occurring before the grand jury."

In other cases, including Manafort's, the Mueller team has made heavy redactions to its recent public court filings, including to protect pending investigations and people who haven't been charged with crimes.

CNN's Em Steck, Laura Robinson Sam Fossum contributed to this report
This does not inspire a great deal of confidence. Particularly the grand jury not having convened since January after requesting a six month extension.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That suggests to me that Mueller is being handicapped from within by Trump's agents in the Justice Department. If so, Congress needs to call Mueller to the Hill to testify as to what exactly went on behind the scenes.*

Its also possible, of course, that Mueller simply has what he needs and is ready to wrap things up (though he never did get to question Trump in person). The continued work, and the redactions to protect ongoing investigations, certainly suggest that the answer is more complicated than "they haven't found anything else".

But yeah, asking for a six month extension on the grand jury and then it not convening is weird.

*Edit: Especially in light of yesterday's revelation that Whittaker was asked by Trump if a pro-Trump attorney could un-recuse himself to oversee the Cohen investigation, possibly meaning that Whitaker (who said he was never ordered to interfere with the investigations) lied under oath to Congress.

FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-20 02:07pm That suggests to me that Mueller is being handicapped from within by Trump's agents in the Justice Department. If so, Congress needs to call Mueller to the Hill to testify as to what exactly went on behind the scenes.*

Its also possible, of course, that Mueller simply has what he needs and is ready to wrap things up (though he never did get to question Trump in person). The continued work, and the redactions to protect ongoing investigations, certainly suggest that the answer is more complicated than "they haven't found anything else".

But yeah, asking for a six month extension on the grand jury and then it not convening is weird.

*Edit: Especially in light of yesterday's revelation that Whittaker was asked by Trump if a pro-Trump attorney could un-recuse himself to oversee the Cohen investigation, possibly meaning that Whitaker (who said he was never ordered to interfere with the investigations) lied under oath to Congress.
I want to see how this plays out. Barr is exactly the kind of guy who would torpedo a presidential investigation like this because he did it before. But this strikes me as a risky as fuck move on his part. There may be something more to it, but I think we should prepare ourselves for Trump and Team largely getting away with it.

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, while people have been expecting Mueller to wrap up soon for a while, I doubt its a coincidence that we're getting a fairly definite and immediate date right after Barr gets sworn in and its announced Rosenstein is leaving.

If Barr shuts it down, and they "get away with it", then the rule of law is dead, and America is a Russian client state.

But I don't think they'll just "get away with it". Not that cleanly, anyway. Polls show nearly 90% of Americans want a report. Do you really think the House Dems would just accept "No report, there's nothing more there, just take our word for it" at face value? No, there will be testimony, and hearings, and subpoenas.

If there is not some kind of public report detailing Mueller's findings (even one with redactions for national security purposes), then Mueller and everyone who worked on the probe, Whitaker, Barr, Sessions, and Rosenstein, all need to be called to testify to Congress under penalty of perjury on the findings of the investigation and why no report was issued. Otherwise, the American people will rightly have no confidence in the outcome.

If the investigation ends without a full public report, then call your legislators and take to the streets demanding one. Whatever side one is on, we should at least get to see what the end result of all this was.

FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

If I were guessing about an outcome right now, I think Trump buries the report, Parsons everyone and quits. Though if I had guessed where things would go all along, i’d Have been repeatedly dead wrong. So who the fuck knows.

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FireNexus wrote: 2019-02-20 02:25pm If I were guessing about an outcome right now, I think Trump buries the report, Parsons everyone and quits. Though if I had guessed where things would go all along, i’d Have been repeatedly dead wrong. So who the fuck knows.
Trump has shown a surprisingly unwillingness to dole out pardons thus far, even to those who have stayed seemingly loyal to him (see: Manafort). I also think he's frankly too damn arrogant to quit. He's going to ride this train all the way to Hell.

Trying to bury the report, sure. But succeeding? Mark my words: if there is no report under suspicious circumstances, Mueller gets called right up to the House to deliver his findings in person to Congress under oath.

If something like that doesn't happen... it would probably shake my confidence in the Dem. leadership enough to make me seriously think about going third party, for all the good it would do.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

But yeah, I think one way or the other, we're entering endgame now. Brace yourselves, and get ready to protest. History will remember what we as a country do over the next few weeks.

FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-02-20 02:29pm I also think he's frankly too damn arrogant to quit. He's going to ride this train all the way to Hell.
That’s certainly the brand he tries to display. But he’s the guy who’s gone bankrupt a bunch of times, and run away from multiple business ventures of various kinds hat didn’t pan out.

He’s happy to quit, but he needs to be able to make a thin rationalization that it isn’t quitting.

All the rest? Too long.