More Mueller news: Whitaker, Treason, and Farage.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Mueller Investigation Superthread

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The worst-case scenario:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... -one-cares
This past week, we saw the first concrete evidence that Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign colluded with Russia — and it seemed as if no one cared. That’s a reason to ask a disturbing question: What if the slow burn of Robert Mueller’s investigation ends with a fizzle, not an explosion?

What if Mueller, in his role as special counsel, uncovers meaningful proof that the Trump campaign for president knowingly and actively cooperated with Russian efforts to get Trump elected — and the public treats the news as completely unremarkable? That would mark a radical transformation in the nature of contemporary U.S. politics.

Of course, it’s far from certain that Democratic efforts to draw attention to the shocking facts would fail. But the fizzle outcome now looks genuinely possible, not because Mueller won’t get the goods, but because of a combination of Trump’s talent at changing the subject, his Republican supporters’ ho-hum attitude toward campaign wrongdoing, and public fatigue at the duration of the investigation.

To understand this potential scenario in which Mueller strikes pay dirt and Trump nevertheless emerges unscathed, the place to start is with the latest revelation about Paul Manafort.

The astonishing and entirely new fact revealed last week is that, according to Mueller, Manafort, while chairman of the Trump campaign, sent polling data to a Russian associate with close ties to Russian intelligence.

Until now, Mueller’s investigation and reporting by the news media have established two things: that Russian intelligence actively tried to influence the outcome of the election, and that Russian intelligence used numerous pathways to reach out to members of the Trump campaign and inner circle.

Lacking so far is any direct proof that the Trump campaign took up these overtures in a way that actively constituted cooperation or collusion.

If it can be substantiated — and Mueller almost certainly wouldn’t be alleging it if it couldn’t — the Manafort revelation is that proof. This cooperation with Russia didn’t come from some minor figure in the campaign, but from the chairman himself. This is a hugely significant development.

Sharing campaign research in the form of proprietary polling data has one obvious explanation: Manafort was giving the Russians data they could use to try to influence the campaign.

Proof that the Trump campaign cooperated with the Russians would close the evidentiary circle by connecting Russian outreach with Russian efforts to use social media to affect the vote. Proof that Manafort sent data to the Russians would not be just a step toward proof of collusion. It would itself be proof of collusion.

Yet this development, which should have dominated the news cycle, fell distantly behind the topics of the government shutdown, Trump’s prime-time address on border security, and the president’s threat to invoke emergency powers to build the Mexican border wall that Congress has denied him.

Why did the Manafort news get so little attention? Several factors probably contributed.

One explanation is that the revelation didn’t come from prosecutors or from leaks to a news organization. Instead, the information was unintentionally revealed by Manafort’s lawyers when they failed to successfully redact a document they submitted to court in connection with Manafort’s sentencing.

This strange mechanism of hitting the news made the original story one about cutting and pasting a word-processing document, not about the content of what was revealed.

A second explanation is that the news media and the public had already given up on Manafort as a source of meaningful Trump-related revelations. After all, Manafort pleaded guilty to a series of crimes that long predated his involvement with the Trump campaign. And based on the length of the sentence Manafort got and prosecutors’ insistence that he was still lying even after agreeing to cooperate, many of us had begun to think that Manafort wasn’t going to be the subject of any major campaign-related breakthroughs.

In retrospect, that conclusion seems to have been premature — maybe even spectacularly wrong. Mueller, it would seem, can prove that Manafort brought the Trump campaign into cooperation with Russia.

The third and most troubling possibility is that, as the Mueller investigation has proceeded, fatigue and acceptance have set in. Trump’s supporters and opponents alike may have more or less come to think that there was some sort of collusion with Russia. The supporters, arguably, don’t much care. The opponents increasingly think that no matter what Mueller finds, it won’t be enough to convict and remove Trump from office in impeachment proceedings.

The upshot would be that Mueller’s report could turn out to be a kind of historical afterthought — even if Mueller is able to demonstrate collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, the central component of his mission.

Sure, the Democratic House would hold hearings. Some members of Congress would call for impeachment. But if Republicans held firm, many Democrats would probably decide not to impeach because of the unlikelihood of success.

In that scenario, it’s possible to imagine that even if Trump was aware of the Russian collusion, his supporters would maintain that the Russian efforts had no impact, and that Trump had no idea the cooperation with Russia was irregular, let alone illegal.

Let me be clear that I consider this scenario a disaster for democracy. If one candidate for office colludes with a foreign power to affect an election, that is an existential crisis for the principle of popular self-determination. I would much rather that Mueller find no evidence of collusion than that he prove his case in the face of an uncaring public and an inactive Congress.

But given reaction to the Manafort news, the disaster scenario is no longer unthinkable. I’m not even sure it’s unlikely.

This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Noah Feldman at nfeldman7@bloomberg.net
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Stacey Shick at sshick@bloomberg.net
COMMENTS 159
UP NEXT
Trump, Putin, Fox News and a Test of Presidential Power
Have a confidential tip for our reporters?
GET IN TOUCH
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
LEARN MORE
LIVE ON BLOOMBERG
Watch Live TV
Listen to Live Radio

Politics & Policy
Trump, Putin and a Test of Presidential Power
The FBI worried that Trump was serving Russia’s interests. Turns out, Trump’s been burying records of his conversations with Putin. And he won’t give even Fox News a straight answer about any of it.
By Timothy L. O'Brien
January 13, 2019, 6:45 AM PST

Keeping the details fuzzy. Photographer: Brendan Smialowski/AFP/Getty Images
Timothy L. O’Brien is the executive editor of Bloomberg Opinion. He has been an editor and writer for the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, HuffPost and Talk magazine. His books include “TrumpNation: The Art of Being The Donald.”
Read more opinion
Follow @TimOBrien on Twitter
COMMENTS
LISTEN TO ARTICLE
5:34
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Tweet
In this article
NYT
NEW YORK TIMES-A
24.28USD+0.51+2.15%
TWTR
TWITTER INC
32.87USD-0.22-0.66%
0336658D
SPECIAL COUNSEL
Private Company
The president of the United States phoned into Fox News on Saturday night for a non-interview interview about the non-emergency emergency along the southern border.

About eight minutes into the 22-minute bit of stagecraft, the Fox host, Jeanine Pirro, changed topics and asked President Donald Trump about a New York Times article from the night before that revealed new details about federal probes into his possible links to Russian President Vladimir Putin. The Times disclosed that after Trump fired the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, James Comey, who was analyzing Russian efforts to sabotage the 2016 presidential campaign, the FBI was so alarmed it began examining whether Trump himself had been “working on behalf of Russia against American interests.”

Pirro embraced the moment, chuckling slightly and teeing up what should have been a softball question. “So, I’m going to ask you: Are you now or have you ever worked for Russia, Mr. President?”

Trump had a number of routes he might have taken in response to Pirro. The best would have been simply saying “no.” Instead, he bobbed, weaved and never answered the question directly.

"I think it’s the most insulting thing I’ve ever been asked,” Trump said. “I think it’s the most insulting article I’ve ever had written and if you read the article, you’d see that they found absolutely nothing."

Trump had already spent Saturday morning using his Twitter feed to slag the Times, Comey, the FBI, Special Counsel Robert Mueller and Democrats for orchestrating groundless investigations, and he continued his food fight on Pirro’s show — lobbing insult after insult but never answering a straightforward question in a straightforward way.

Later in their conversation, Pirro and Trump chatted about another piece of hard-won reporting the Washington Post published Saturday morning. The Post disclosed that Trump had “gone to extraordinary lengths” to bury details of conversations he had with Putin, including “on at least one occasion taking possession of the notes of his own interpreter and instructing the linguist not to discuss what had transpired with other administration officials.” The net effect of Trump’s maneuvers, the Post noted, is that there now isn’t a detailed record — even in the federal government’s classified files — of his personal conversations with Putin at five locations over the past two years.

A reasonable person might wonder if the president has been going out of his way to hide something. The president was less concerned. "I’m not keeping anything under wraps. I couldn’t care less,” Trump said. “I mean, it’s so ridiculous, these people make it up."

Trump also told Pirro that there’s no reason to be unduly alarmed by his various intersections with Russia’s leader. “Think of it: I have a one-on-one meeting with Putin like I do with every other leader, I have many one-on-one, nobody ever says anything about it. But with Putin they say, ‘Oh, what did they talk about?’ We talked about very positive things.”

Trump would prefer, of course, to continue interacting with Putin unsupervised. He also would prefer the broader public to adopt his view of investigations of his conduct as “witch hunts.” All of that would also involve the country accepting an imperial understanding of presidential powers. That’s why one of the great tests of the Trump presidency involves seeing how ready the Republican Party and voters are to accommodate themselves to executive overreach or malfeasance.

Trump and his advocates have argued that Comey’s firing can’t be construed as obstruction of justice because, under Article II of the Constitution, the president was merely exercising the powers of his office as he saw fit. Comey worked for him, after all. A similar argument has surfaced around the voluminous body of critical or meddlesome tweets Trump has directed at federal investigators and defendants in various legal probes that might circle back to him. Trump can tweet whatever he wants because it’s free speech, say his defenders.

But the law allows no one, including the president, to try to upend the justice system or disrupt governmental proceedings in the service of their own interests. In that context, it really isn’t about thinking of it as someone just doing their job when a senior law enforcement official gets canned, or just speaking their mind when they seek to influence witnesses by lashing out or praising them on Twitter (especially if national security and the rule of law are at stake).

There isn’t settled agreement about the boundaries of presidential immunity and executive privilege, so we may end up seeing some of this adjudicated and settled by the Supreme Court depending on how events unfold. In the interim, the House of Representatives is likely to fill the void.

U.S. Representative Jerrold Nadler, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said on Saturday that it was “unprecedented” that the FBI felt it needed to investigate a sitting president’s “possible cooptation by a hostile foreign government.” He said that his committee will “take steps to better understand both the President’s actions and the FBI’s response to that behavior, and to make certain that these career investigators are protected from President Trump’s increasingly unhinged attacks."

U.S. Representative Eliot Engel, chairman of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, also said on Saturday that he wants to know more about Trump’s meetings with Putin. He said his committee plans to hold hearings on the “mysteries swirling” around the Trump-Putin relationship. “Every time Trump meets with Putin, the country is told nothing,” he said. “The Foreign Affairs Committee will seek to get to the bottom of it.”

Whether any of that looms large in the president’s mind — or whether he completely understands the potential threats of the various probes surrounding him — is unclear. An open season of House probes is set to kick off publicly next month in Washington when the president’s former lawyer, Michael Cohen, testifies in a hearing about his experiences working for Trump. Pirro asked the president on Saturday night if he had concerns about Cohen’s testimony.

“You know, you’re supposed to have lawyer-client privilege, but it doesn’t matter ’cause I’m a very honest person, frankly,” Trump responded.
If this happens, then the country is truly broken, in a much deeper way than we thought, and even if Trump gets kicked out (maybe the economy implodes and he loses reelection, for example), this will likely just happen again. Even armed resistance would be a pointless endeavour if most of the public simply doesn't care that Trump is a traitor and a despot. That would truly mark the end of the American experiment, and is one of the few things that could make me genuinely question my faith in democracy.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

What do you mean, "IF" ?
If a live VIDEO of Trump talking to Putin about "So how do we beat Hillary" was released tomorrow, Trump would be tweeting about it in seconds shouting FAKE NEWS!
NPR has done numerous interviews of Trump supporters and time and time again when asked "Well what IF there was collusion" the response time and again is "We don't care"

I sometimes feel you have a mistaken idea about the Muller investigation, that like Whitewater and Nixio HERE at last is something that will unseat Trump!
No, at the end of the day it is meant to show the Trump campaign organized with Russians to change the outcome of the election. And you know what? To a certain degree WE ALREADY KNOW THIS!
I mean how much has come out in 2018 alone, between the secret meeting between his son and Kushanr, connections between other staff members. To a certain degree we American has been shown that the Trump "Campaign" did collude and you know what? It hasn't changed anything.

Trump is NEVER going to be "kicked out of office"
I don't like to admit that, he is a shitstain of a man and a shitstain on our country, but he is in office, and unless for some bizarre reasons HE decides to quite, no force on this planet will remove him from office.

Look its not that America doesn't CARE, lawd knows we do, but we can't exactly rise up in bloody revolution. If it was possible the Republicans would have done it during the Obama administration.

At the end of the day there is one ONE way to get rid of Trump.
Go vote in 2020.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2019-01-13 10:51pm What do you mean, "IF" ?
If a live VIDEO of Trump talking to Putin about "So how do we beat Hillary" was released tomorrow, Trump would be tweeting about it in seconds shouting FAKE NEWS!
NPR has done numerous interviews of Trump supporters and time and time again when asked "Well what IF there was collusion" the response time and again is "We don't care"

I sometimes feel you have a mistaken idea about the Muller investigation, that like Whitewater and Nixio HERE at last is something that will unseat Trump!
No, at the end of the day it is meant to show the Trump campaign organized with Russians to change the outcome of the election. And you know what? To a certain degree WE ALREADY KNOW THIS!
I mean how much has come out in 2018 alone, between the secret meeting between his son and Kushanr, connections between other staff members. To a certain degree we American has been shown that the Trump "Campaign" did collude and you know what? It hasn't changed anything.

Trump is NEVER going to be "kicked out of office"
I don't like to admit that, he is a shitstain of a man and a shitstain on our country, but he is in office, and unless for some bizarre reasons HE decides to quite, no force on this planet will remove him from office.

Look its not that America doesn't CARE, lawd knows we do, but we can't exactly rise up in bloody revolution. If it was possible the Republicans would have done it during the Obama administration.

At the end of the day there is one ONE way to get rid of Trump.
Go vote in 2020.
Well, you're conflating two different things: the American people not giving a shit, and the Senate Republicans not giving a shit. It is certainly plausible (though by no means certain) that Senate Republicans will ignore anything Mueller brings forward, rendering impeachment impossible. That is not the same as the American people not giving a shit, which would be far worse.

Edit: I should say "rendering conviction impossible". Impeachment is certainly possible if Mueller brings forward convincing evidence of collusion by Trump. Conviction in the Senate would require around twenty Republican defections, though.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Carl Bernstein: Draft of Mueller report discusses how Trump helped Putin destabilize the United States:

https://www.newsweek.com/mueller-report ... 9541?amp=1
Legendary journalist Carl Bernstein has said that he’s been told that special counsel Robert Mueller’s report will show how President Donald Trump helped Russia “destabilize the United States.”

Bernstein, who is renowned for his coverage of the Watergate scandal that led to the resignation of former President Richard Nixon, appeared on CNN’s Reliable Sources on Sunday to discuss two bombshell reports released this weekend, one from The New York Times and one from The Washington Post, which revealed new details about whether or not Trump and his aides have colluded with Russia.

The Post reported that Trump has gone to “extraordinary lengths” to conceal direct conversations he has had with Russian President Vladimir Putin. The Times article revealed that the FBI opened a counterintelligence investigation into Trump after he fired former bureau director James Comey in 2017, suspecting the president could be working on behalf of Russia. Trump has angrily denied allegations that he worked with Russia and has regularly attacked the media for reporting on the investigation. But Bernstein slammed Trump’s dismissal of the probe.

“This is about the most serious counterintelligence people we have in the U.S. government saying, ‘Oh, my God, the president’s words and actions lead us to conclude that somehow he has become a witting, unwitting, or half-witting pawn, certainly in some regards, to Vladimir Putin,'” Bernstein explained during his appearance on Reliable Sources .

“From a point of view of strength… rather, he has done what appears to be Putin’s goals. He has helped Putin destabilize the United States and interfere in the election, no matter whether it was purposeful or not,” the journalist added. He then explained that he knew from his own high-level sources that Mueller’s report would discuss this assessment.

“And that is part of what the draft of Mueller’s report, I’m told, is to be about,” he said. “We know there has been collusion by [former national security adviser Michael] Flynn. We know there has been collusion of some sort by [Trump’s former campaign chairman Paul] Manafort. The question is, yes, what did the president know and when did he know it?”

Trump has defended himself against such reports, arguing, inaccurately, that he has taken a hardline stance against Russia.

“I have been FAR tougher on Russia than Obama, Bush or Clinton. Maybe tougher than any other President. At the same time, & as I have often said, getting along with Russia is a good thing, not a bad thing. I fully expect that someday we will have good relations with Russia again! [sic],” he wrote on Twitter on Saturday.

However, the president’s 2016 campaign remains the subject of a special investigation led by Mueller. Several former high-ranking Trump aides have been indicted in the probe and last week, it was revealed that Manafort shared confidential polling data with an associate linked to Russian-intelligence.

RELATED STORIES
Expert: Trump 'Aiding & Abetting' Russian Intelligence
Trump Says NYT Report Is "Insulting"
FBI May Have Classified Evidence on Trump: Former Chief

Trump's administration recently moved to remove financial sanctions on an ally of Putin, and has recently pulled troops out of Syria -- a long-standing demand from the Russian President.
If this is true, and the American people accept it, then we are accepting becoming a Russian proxy state. This is the moment of truth for the concept of democracy in America, hell, the concept of America as an independent nation, and how people react to such a development will divide the country cleanly into two categories: Americans, and Quislings.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-13 11:34pm That is not the same as the American people not giving a shit, which would be far worse.
Again my question is, what are you expecting?
In my own mind the day after the Investigation ends, come what may, America will look almost exactly as it does today.
Democrats hate him, Most republicans will love him, and the rest will have their head up their bum.
Are you expecting rioting in the streets?
Vast mobs of Indigent people going I AM OUTRAGED!" ?
A march on the Whitehouse demanding the head of Trump?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2019-01-13 11:45pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-13 11:34pm That is not the same as the American people not giving a shit, which would be far worse.
Again my question is, what are you expecting?
In my own mind the day after the Investigation ends, come what may, America will look almost exactly as it does today.
Democrats hate him, Most republicans will love him, and the rest will have their head up their bum.
Are you expecting rioting in the streets?
Vast mobs of Indigent people going I AM OUTRAGED!" ?
A march on the Whitehouse demanding the head of Trump?
In a sane world, massive public pressure to impeach, mass protests if Trump is not impeached/convicted, and a Democratic landslide in 2020.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

And frankly, I am sick of people sitting around circle-jerking over how America sucks and always will, nothing will ever change, and there's no point hoping for anything to get better or caring if it doesn't. That kind of smug, self-indulgent cynicism which sneers at people who hope or care is a big part of why Donald Trump could get elected in the first place.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

In any case, that article was somewhat off the mark. Part of its premise was that the latest developments reg. Manafort simply weren't a big news story. But while the Manafort story largely got buried, the arguably far more significant developments reg. Trump himself-that the FBI opened a counterintelligence investigation into him because they thought he might be working for Russia, and that he went to great lengths to keep any details of his meetings with Putin secret (including confiscating his translator's notes and forbidding him to discuss it) have been getting wall to wall coverage for the last day or two. So I don't think its a case of fatigue setting in or Trump successfully distracting people with other crisis, at least on the media's part.

GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

Well, been lurking here on and off for years and I feel that I have to say something, we've got a LOT of people involved and Cohen has been singing like a canary to Mueller.

While I know this site has a taboo against Spacebattles, but they've got one of the best timelines on this entire shitstorm for a while now:
Now, let us begin:
Spoiler
SB Rules and Table of Contents wrote:
Table of Contents of Reserved Posts

Post 1 – Table of Contents of Reserved Posts, Moderator Rules for the Thread, Having Baladar Add Things to the Thread, and Acceptable Content for Citations

Post 2 – A Brief Summery of what we happened Until this Point

Post 3 – Dramatis Personae in and Around the Investigations

Post 4 – Timeline of Events Prior to March of 2016

Post 5 – Timeline of Events During the 2016 Election from March Onwards

Post 6 – Timeline of Events and Revelations After the 2016 Election

Post 7 – Current Status of the Investigations into Russian Interference

Post 8 – Results of the Investigations that have Led to Indictments, Plea-bargains, and Convictions.

Post 9 – A Message from the OP

Post 10 and Beyond – Regular Debate and Information Posts

Moderator Rules for Thread

As we all know in debates here things can happen. In Whitehall things happen so much that the mods stopped replaced the glass for their wall cases that read “Break Glass if Emergency Oppression is Needed.” So they have set a number of rules that must be followed to a tee or large, colorful, and unfriendly letters will appear much like the dread avian beast known as the Toucan, bringing you only despair and malice.

This is not a warning, but is a promise.

In addition to the below are all the other rules of debate that must be followed, which can be found here: Link

Special Rules For Special People

1) Include Content in Citation Posts – If you post citations on new events or revelations, please include a brief description and your thoughts on it. Posting a single tweet or citation, without those things can leave some people confused as to what they are looking at, as some browsers and services block all kinds of content; moreover, make sure the citations are credible. I.e. they come from legitimate outlets that have reputable journalistic standards or for technical or legal matters have equally reputable expertise.

2) Stay on Topic – Going on about so and so having the nuclear football or complaints about this law or policy being implemented do not belong here. So keep this in mind.

3) No Low Content Posting – This is a debate/informational thread, so there is to be little to no reaction types of post, sans any other content. Reacting to events in progress or new revelations is acceptable so long as you include a bit of analysis of some kind or your thoughts and feelings on the matter.

4) Don’t Derail with Humor - Not to say everything has to be super serious all the time. Levity, japes, wordplay, and light snark are expected; however, everyone has to stay on topic and not make it chan like or derail things. If three or four posts in a row are joking around only, don’t join in please.

5) No Two Minute Hate Posts – There is to be no posting of anything that exists for the sole purpose of enflaming things, without a possibility of any real debate. Like so and so is a sex offender and it has almost nothing to do with the topic. There are exceptions for news updates for the Dramatis Personae.

6) Try to Ignore Derails and Whataboutisms – There are some people that will try to derail the topics at hand on purpose with unrelated topics or complaints about things completely unrelated. Do your best to gloss over these posts and report them at your own discretion. Keep in mind that some people aren’t trying to derail, but are only making an honest mistake.

7) No Nunes Memes – While we all know the man is annoying and does terrible things, there is to be no writing silly things in giant colorful letters or overly excessive word plays on his name meaning “worse than excrement” or the like. That said things he does or says may be discussed and grumblings about those things are also permissible; however, said grumblings must be kept to a minimum.

All of these rules are to remain in place unless an arbiter, moderator, super mod, or any other staff member alters the rules and we pray they don’t alter them any further. Any alterations will be reflected on this post. In the event of super big things (such as indictments, impeachments, or firings) I fully expect some the above things to be broken to a degree, but I would rather be disappointed. So please don’t break the rules in those sorts of events. Now if the mods relax rules during those times then that will be fine, but please wait for a rule change first.

Having Baladar Add Things to the Thread

If I have overlooked a citation or report that you feel or think should be threadmarked or should be added to the reserved posts, please PM me. I tend to be buried under a mountain of alerts, so I might overlook people mentioning or quoting me. I don’t get many things in my inbox so that might be the best way of getting my attention. Getting in touch with eagle109 or Dalmity is also encouraged, as these two have spent many hours poring over this content to make things more easily understood for all of us; moreover, they have given their blessing to use their hard work from the first thread to make the backbone of the timeline info dumps, so give them mad props.

If you want me to add something to the reserved posts the following must be included in any PM:

Citation Title

Publisher

Html link

Date of publication

A brief one to three line description of what it covers, including which of the Dramatis Personae are involved.

In the event that I am unable to threadmark things due to being banned, being sick, dead, or any other unexpected absence please PM a mod to threadmark your things. Also please pray that I’m not actually in the hospital, in jail, or dead. I don’t want to be any of those things, but I will sort out threadmarks and the like when if and when I get back.

Acceptable Content for Citations

Not every article, document, or report is going to be added to the threadmarks or reserved posts. First and foremost sometimes we see multiple articles covering the same subject or event. I’m only going to add whichever comes first or whichever seems the most credible if lots of people start posting about a thing happening all at once. Secondly, editorials and opinion pieces can be threadmarked; however, they are less likely to wind up in the reserved posts. Those posts are for things we know for a fact or at least things that we credible people have reported to the authorities and/or news organizations. Thirdly, there are sources and types of articles that will require an extremely convincing argument as to why it credible enough to be added.

Here is a partial list:

- The Blaze

- Infowars

- Breitbart

- Project Veritas

- Anything that Looks Clickbaity

- Chain Emails

- That Thing From your Grandma on Facebook

- Anything that looks like it will put Malware on Someone’s Computer

- Pictures of Toucans

Forth and finally are videos. Videos that should be threadmarked are things like important congressional hearings, interviews or press conferences that reveal important information, video depositions under oath, or something else that is revealing but is not edited to be misleading. These are naturally a little trickier, but I am not too worried.
Brief Summery of the Current Situation wrote:
A Brief Summery of what we happened Until this Point

The Russian Federation used their intelligence assets to break into computer systems in the United States that belonged to political parties, private individuals, and possibly some belonging to the US government. Using the stolen data the Russian Federation released out of context excerpts, altered emails, and outright false information to the US voting public via third party groups, individuals, and bot nets. This was all done in an effort to poison the well and cause tumultuous presidential term for Hillary Clinton, to possibly elect Donald Trump to the US Presidency, and possibly alter the outcome of other down ballot elections in 2016.

This disinformation campaign was also micro targeted at vulnerable voters in key states using personal information on said voters. It is suspected that this personal information was provided to intermediaries of the Russian Federation by members of the Trump campaign and/or third parties hired by the campaign.

The Russian Federation also electronically broke into voter registration records in many states in the weeks leading up to the election and it is presently unknown if those records were altered; however, it is known that quite a few US voters suddenly found them themselves as inactive voters on election day.

The Ultimate goal of the Russian Federation was to cause the citizens of these United States to suffer disunity, distrust of each other, confusion, fear of our own government, and weaken the United States of America. By this metric the Russian Federation has succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

They have continued to attempt similar disinformation campaigns in other Western Nations, such as the United Kingdom, France and Germany.
Dramatis Personae in and around the Investigation wrote:
Dramatis Personae in and Around the Investigations

Spoiler: Noteworthy Congressional Investigators

House Intel:

Republicans -

Chairman Congressman Devin Nunes (CA) (Infamous on this site for many valid reasons listed in the spoiler below:

Spoiler: This is Why He Gets His Own Rule

Congressman Trey Gowdy (SC)

Democrats -

Ranking Member Congressman Adam Schiff (CA)

Congressman Jim Himes (CT)

Congressman Eric Swalwell (CA)

Senate Intel:

Republicans -

Chairman Senator Richard Burr (NC)

Senator Marco Rubio (FL)

Senator Susan Collins (ME)

Senator Tom Cotton (AR)

Senator John Cornyn (TX)

Senator John McCain (AZ, Ex officio means "from the office", basically "by right of office")

Senator Mitch McConnell (KY, Ex officio)

Democrats -

Ranking Member Senator Mark Warner (VA)

Senator Dianne Feinstein (CA)

Senator Ron Wyden (OR)

Senator Kamala Harris (CA)

Senator Chuck Schumer (NY, Ex officio)

Senate Judiciary:

Republicans -

Chairman Senator Chuck Grassley (IA)

Senator Orrin Hatch (UT)

Senator Lindsey Graham (SC)

Senator John Cornyn (TX)

Senator Ted Cruz (TX)

Senator Jeff Flake (AZ)

Democrats -

Ranking Member Senator Dianne Feinstein (CA)

Senator Patrick Leahy (VT)

Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (RI)

Senator Amy Klobuchar (MN)

Senator Richard Blumenthal (CT)

Senator Kamala Harris (CA, from January 9, 2018)

Senator Cory Booker (NJ, from January 9, 2018)

Senator Al Franken (MN, until January 2, 2018)
Timeline of Events up to March 2016 wrote:
April, 1984: The Expanding Empire of Donald Trump - New York Times Magazine, April 8, 1984
November, 1984: Donald Trump, Holding All The Cards The Tower! The Team! The Money! The Future! - Washington Post, November 15, 1984 <- Quote: "[Trump says he has never acted on his nuclear concern. But he says that his good friend Roy Cohn, the flamboyant Republican lawyer, has told him this interview is a perfect time to start. ... He would know what to ask the Russians for, he says. But he would rather not tip his hand publicly."
July, 1987: Trump May Build Hotels In U.s.s.r. - Philadelphia Inquirer, July 7, 1987 <- Wayback Machine link, original link requires purchase/subscription.
September, 1987: Trump Gives A Vague Hint Of Candidacy - New York Times, September 2, 1987
October, 1987: Trump Hints of Dreams Beyond Building - New York Times, October 5, 1987
December, 1988:
From the archives: When Trump hoped to meet Gorbachev in Manhattan - Washington Post, December 3, 1988; posted July 10, 2017, 3:26 PM EDT
The Gorbachev Visit; Manhattan Goes Gorbachev, From Fish to Oreo Cookies - New York Times, December 7, 1988
June, 1989: A Political Power Broker - New York Times, June 21, 1989 <- Paul Manafort partnered with Roger J. Stone. What a shocker. /s
March, 1990: Playboy Interview: Donald Trump (1990) - originally March 1990, published online March 9, 2016 <- Yes, freaking PLAYBOY. If you don't want to, read this in private/incognito mode. Why? He mentions about visiting Moscow, bragging on insisting "having two Russian colonels flying with" him, as well real estate negotiations.
May, 1997: Trump Solo - New Yorker, posted May 12, 1997, 12:00 AM EDT; May 19, 1997 issue; updated June 18, 2016, 4:07 PM EDT
October, 2000: THE 2000 CAMPAIGN: THE INQUIRY; F.B.I. Widens Investigation Into Debate Leak - New York Times, October 1, 2000 <- When Gore's campaign team got sent Bush Jr.'s debate material, they immediately called the FBI. And what did Don Jr. do when he got offered "dirt" on Hillary? "I love it."
April, 2001: Russian Network Seized In Raid - Washington Post, April 15, 2001, 12:00 PM EDT <- Michael Caputo once worked for a PR firm that represented Gazprom (one of Russia's big gas companies), that "acquired" NTV, one of the few Russian opposition media outlets. Putin sanctioned the crackdown, for another example of him not liking the free press.
October, 2004: Trump to close on tower site - Chicago Tribune, October 15, 2004
March, 2006: German bank may finance proposed twisting tower - Chicago Tribune, March 31, 2006 <- Hello, Deutsche Bank.
September, 2007: The Missionary Mogul - New York Times Magazine, September 16, 2007 <- QUOTE, "Leviev describes [Vladimir Putin] as a '“true friend.”'"
November, 2007: Trump awaits city's OK for hotel occupancy - Chicago Tribune, November 20, 2007
June, 2008: Russian mogul pays Donald Trump $100 million for Florida mansion - New York Daily News, June 21, 2008, 6:00 PM EDT
July, 2008: From Russia -- With Cash - Wall Street Journal, July 11, 2008, 11:59 PM EDT (paywall)
September, 2008:
Executive Talk: Donald Trump Jr. bullish on Russia and few emerging markets - eTrubowNews, September 15, 2008 <- "Oh, I have no deals with Russia," he said.
Tower trumps slowdown - Chicago Tribune, September 25, 2008
November, 2008: Trump sues Deutsche Bank over Chicago tower - Reuters, November 10, 2008, 6:34 PM EST
December, 2008:
Deutsche Bank sues Trump over hotel loan - Chicago Tribune, December 1, 2008
Trump receives cash from Deutsche Bank - Chicago Tribune, December 2, 2008
Trump Sees Act of God in Recession - New York Times, December 4, 2008
In Hard Times, Russia Tries to Reclaim Industries - New York Times, December 7, 2008
March, 2009: Donald Trump, Deutsche Bank reach truce over Chicago skyscraper's finances - Chicago Tribune, March 4, 2009
July, 2011: Russian Officials Receive Blame in Lawyer’s Death - New York Times, July 6, 2011 <- Regarding the Magnitsky Act, named after Sergei Magnitsky, a Russian lawyer who exposed one of the biggest fraud and corruption schemes in Russia, and sadly paid for that act with his life.
May, 2012:
Opinion: Immigrants Are The Lifeblood Of U.S. Startups - Forbes, May 1, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT (paywall)
A Russian Magnate’s Facebook Bet Pays Off Big - New York Times, May 15, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT <- Early signs?
June, 2012: The Magnitsky Case - New Yorker, June 27, 2012, 1:59 PM EDT
October, 2012:
Zuckerberg goes to Moscow - Salon, October 1, 2012, 1:42 PM EDT <- Saw quite the newer comments raging at Zuckerberg about this.
Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg meets excited Russian prime minister - Guardian, October 1, 2012, 2:09 PM EDT
Zuckerberg Meets With Medvedev in a Crucial Market - New York Times, October 1, 2012, 2:56 PM EDT
Why Facebook Suddenly Likes Russia - Business Insider, October 1, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
November, 2012: Did Facebook Give Democrats the Upper Hand? - The Atlantic, November 8, 2012, 12:42 PM EST <- Facebook's ever changing presence and involvement.
July, 2013: Exclusive: How Ukraine Wooed Conservative Websites - BuzzFeed, July 16, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT <- Viktor Yanukovych, former president of Ukraine, was pretty much a lackey of Putin and was promoted by - wait for it - Paul Manafort.
September, 2013: Opinion: Putin is the one who really deserves that Nobel Peace Prize - Fox News, September 10, 2013, 9:22 AM EDT <- Opinion piece by K. T. McFarland, who was Flynn's subordinate.
February, 2014:
Mystery Deepens: Where Is Yanukovych? - NBC News, February 22, 2014, 4:38 PM EST, updated 5:25 PM EST <- Viktor Yanukovych was the former President of Ukraine that Paul Manafort was lobbying for.
Ukraine’s D.C. Lobbyists in Disarray as Dictator Flees - Daily Beast, February 25, 2014, 6:11 PM EST
March, 2014: Kremlin Finds a Defender in Congress - New York Times, March 28, 2014 <- Hey, to any of y'all in Rohrabacher's district, VOTE HIM OUT.
April, 2014: Head of Pentagon intelligence agency forced out, officials say - Washington Post, April 30, 2014
May, 2014:
NPC Luncheon with Donald Trump, chairman and president of the Trump Organization - The National Press Club, May 27, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT <- Trump bragging about Putin.
Donald Trump’s eight biggest boasts at the National Press Club speech - Washington Post, May 27, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
June, 2014: Facebook Could Decide an Election Without Anyone Ever Finding Out - New Republic, June 1, 2014
July, 2014: Yuri Vanetik: Sanctions on Russia works in Putin’s favor - OC Register, July 24, 2014, 12:00 AM GMT (July 23, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT/5:00 PM PDT) <- Sanctions issue.
January, 2015: Undercover Banker: Feds Bust Russian Spy Ring in New York - Foreign Policy, January 26, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT <- Rachel Maddow mentioned this case when she was covering about Carter Page and FISA.
April, 2015: The right’s new Clinton obsession just went mainstream: How a sketchy Hillary “exposé” hooked the New York Times - Salon, April 21, 2015, 5:59 AM EDT <- Because of how often and how much the GOP/right-wing bashes the Clintons.
June, 2015: Facebook Adds Kaspersky Malware Scan - Adweek, June 29, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT <- Thanks a LOT, Facebook.
September, 2015:
Trump and Obama: A Night to Remember - New Yorker, September 12, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT
Trump’s Record On Russia: Snubbed By Gorbachev, Fooled By Impostor - BuzzFeed, September 18, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
October, 2015: Putin loves Donald Trump - Washington Examiner, October 17, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT
November, 2015:
Here's the Deal With That Putin 60 Minutes Episode Trump Mentioned - TIME, November 11, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Here are options for responding to Russia’s media strategy - Washington Post, November 19, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
December, 2015:
Memory Lapse? Trump Seeks Distance From 'Advisor' With Past Ties to Mafia - ABC News, December 10, 2015, 7:30 AM EDT
Trump and the Goodfellas - Wall Street Journal, December 11, 2015, 6:48 PM EST (paywall)
Trump Continues His Embrace of Putin - NBC News, December 18, 2015, 10:41 AM EDT
January, 2016:
Trump’s bad bet: How too much debt drove his biggest casino aground - Washington Post, January 18, 2016, 7:03 PM EST <- "He's a great businessman," they said. So none of the US banks would loan him money after too many failures, but Deutsche Bank and most of their financing is from Russia, according to Don Jr.
Caught between Russia and the US? The curious case of Ukraine's Dmytro Firtash - Guardian, January 23, 2016, 2:00 AM EST
TRANSCRIPT: Meet the Press - January 24, 2016 - NBC News, January 24, 2016, 11:48 AM EST <- Some of Trump's comments.
March, 2016:
Donald Trump Did Some Very Classy Favors in the ’80s for a Three-Time Felon and Cocaine Trafficker - Slate, March 1, 2016, 7:06 AM EST
Trump as National Security Threat - Lawfare, March 2, 2016, 10:44 AM EST
Donald Trump’s Presidential Run Began in an Effort to Gain Stature - New York Times, March 13, 2016 (published March 13, 2016, 12:52 EST); updated October 27, 2016, 6:25 AM EDT
Trump’s Long Romance With Russia - Bloomberg, March 15, 2016, 11:04 AM EDT
When Donald Trump Needs a Loan, He Chooses Deutsche Bank - Wall Street Journal, March 19, 2016, 5:30 AM EDT (paywall)
Trump names foreign policy team members - Politico, March 21, 2016, 1:16 PM EDT<- Hello, George Papadopolous.
Donald Trump’s New Foreign Policy Advisers Are as Rotten as His Steaks - Daily Beast, March 21, 2016 4:00 PM EDT
One of Trump’s foreign policy advisers is a 2009 college grad who lists Model UN as a credential - Washington Post, March 21, 2016, 6:33 PM EDT; updated March 22, 2016, 10:57 AM EDT
Trump's foreign policy team baffles GOP experts - Politico, March 21, 2016, 7:45 PM EDT; updated March 22, 2016, 12:57 PM EDT
Donald Trump unveils list of foreign policy advisers - CBS News, March 22, 2016, 12:45 PM EDT
Donald Trump’s $95M record-setter turns out to be a tear-down - Palm Beach Daily, March 26, 2016 8:25 PM EDT; updated March 27, 2016, 10:16 AM EDT
Event timeline leading up to the 2016 Election from March 2016 Onwards wrote:
March, 2016:
Early March 2016 - George Papadopoulos joins Trump campaign as advisor.
March 2016 (exact dates unknown) - FBI receives document purporting interference by Loretta Lynch on Clinton email investigation, later suspected to be Russian misinformation.
March 14-24 - George Papadopoulos comes into contact with the 'professor' in Italy, later identified as Joseph Mifsud who reaches out with offers of high-level Russian contacts.
Papadopoulos sends proposed meeting details to other Trump campaign officials. Acknowledged by campaign supervisor.
March 19, 2016 - John Podesta's emails first hacked.
March 28, 2016 - Paul Manafort joins the campaign - recommended by Roger Stone.
March 31, 2016 - Trump holds first meeting with foreign policy advisers.
Papadopoulos offers to set up Putin-Trump meeting. Sessions 'forgets' conversation.
April, 2016:
April, 2016 - Papadopoulos continues to update Trump campaign on his outreach effort to Russia contacts, (Later downplayed and denied)
April 25**, 2016 - Papadopoulos emails a senior Trump campaign foreign policy adviser of an “open invitation” from Russian government to Trump for a meeting.
April 26**, 2016 - London. Papadopoulos is told by Mifsud that Russia has thousands of emails belonging to Clinton.
April 27, 2016 - A suspected meeting in the Mayflower Hotel between Sessions, Kislyak, Kushner.
May, 2016:
May, 2016 - George Papadopoulos, after night of drinking reveals his knowledge of Russian penetration of Clinton emails to Australian diplomat in London. Australian authorities alert FBI, incident possibly used to obtain FISA warrant on Trump campaign.
May 4**, 2016 - Papadopoulos receives and forwards email from Russian contacts of Russian willingness to cooperate with Trump campaign.
May 19, 2016 - Manafort officially becomes campaign chairman for Trump campaign. Unpaid.
May 21, 2016 - Papadopoulos emails Manafort about previous correspondence with Russia. "We need someone to communicate that DT is not doing these trips. It should be someone low level in the campaign so as not to send any signal."
May 26, 2016 - Donald Trump becomes presumptive Republican nominee, passing the threshold of 1237 delegates to secure nomination.
June, 2016:
June, 2016 - Steele hired by Fusion GPS to compile Trump dossier, previously funded by anti-Trump Republicans.
June 3-8, 2016 (Trump Jr released it.) - Trump Jr. informed in email correspondence with Rob Goldstone that compromising information on Hillary Clinton was offered by Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya and Russian government was source of information, Trump Jr. interested. Goldstone arranges meeting between Trump Jr and Veselnitskaya.
June 7, 2016 - Trump makes speech after June 7 primaries promising dirt on Clinton.
June 9, 2016 approximately 4:00-4:30pm - Trump Jr., Manafort, Kushner meet with Natalia Veselnitskaya in Trump Tower, seeking compromising information on Hillary Clinton. Meeting believed to have included at least 8 people, including Rob Goldstone and former Soviet counter-intelligence agent/lobbyist Rinat Akhmetshin. Meeting undisclosed by Kushner/Manafort. Trump Sr. co-incidentally in NYC on same day.
June 9, 2016 4:40pm - Donald Trump Sr.'s first tweets about Hillary's missing 33,000 emails.
June 12, 2016 - Assange announces Wikileaks will publish more hacked Hillary Clinton emails.
June 15, 2016 - Guccifer 2.0 releases DNC opp research on Trump, first of DNC leaks linked to Russian hackers.
June 19*,2016 - Papadopoulos emails Trump campaign officials of offer to make 'off the record' trip to Moscow to meet with Russian officials.
July, 2016:
July 5, 2016 - James Comey uses dubious intelligence document as justification for a public lambasting of Clinton, ending email investigation.
July 7, 2016 - Carter Page travels to Moscow for lecture with Trump campaign approval. Triggers FBI surveillance warrant. Also admitted to have met Russian officials, Rosneft executive in sworn testimony.
July 2016* - FBI starts investigation on Trump campaign.
July 2016* - Cybersecurity expert Matt Tait approached by GOP operative Peter Smith, asked to verify hacked Clinton emails from unknown source.
July 11-12, 2016 - Trump campaign intervenes in Republican Party platform to remove call to arm Ukraine against Russian aggression.
July 18, 2016 - Sessions and Kislyak's 1st forgotten, undisclosed meeting.
July 18-21, 2016 - Republican National Convention, Trump becomes nominee.
-Anti-Russian language in support of Ukraine dropped from Republican platform
-Sessions and Page both have passing meetings with Kislyak.
July 22, 2016 - Wikileaks releases DNC emails.
July 27, 2016 - Trump asks Russia to release Clinton emails in press conference. “If you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing”
August, 2016:
August 19, 2016 - Manafort exits Trump campaign over scrutiny on Ukraine/Russia connections and unregistered work as a 'foreign agent'.
August 15**, 2016 - Trump campaign supervisor green-lights Papadopoulos trip to Moscow, encouraging him to make it if feasible. No follow-up.
August 21, 2016 - Stone tweets "It will soon be Podesta's time in the barrel."
August 23, 2016 - Stone privately communicates with Guccifer 2.0.
September, 2016:
September 8, 2016 - Sessions and Kislyak has another preplanned meeting. Also later 'forgotten' by Sessions.
September 23, 2016 - Public reports that Carter Page is being investigated for ties with senior Russian officials.
September 26, 2016 - Page takes 'leave of absence' from Trump campaign.
October, 2016:
October 8, 2016 4:00pm - "Access Hollywood" tape released.
October 8, 2016 4:30pm - Podesta emails released on Wikileaks (first batch).
October 11, 2016 - Donald Trump Jr gives paid pro-Russian speech in Paris.
October 12, 2016 - Stone tells local news station he has back-channel communication with Assange.
October 31, 2016 - First media reports of "Steele Dossier" circulate.
November, 2016:
November 8, 2016 - Trump wins presidential election.
Then again, we're probably seeing proof that Huxley is right and that throw enough noise in the air and people simply don't care.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Thanks for the summary.

And I don't think its that people don't care- its that Republican Senators by and large don't care, and the list of unambiguously legal things that can be done to remove Trump from office before 2020 without the support of a few dozen Republican Senators is zero.

GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-20 04:11pm Thanks for the summary.

And I don't think its that people don't care- its that Republican Senators by and large don't care, and the list of unambiguously legal things that can be done to remove Trump from office before 2020 without the support of a few dozen Republican Senators is zero.
The thing is the entire investigation has indicated that this is just more than Trump and his immediate circle, as we're getting indications that top GOP brass has been either complicit with this entire shitshow or literally in on it. Hence why the GOP trying to shut this investigation down.

It doesn't help that our current preconceptions have been flawed from well before this affair. Freedom of Speech and Information aren't protections of democracy but literal weapons against it. The Russians have been rather effective in showing us THAT.

Thus that Sid Meiers' Alpha Centuari quote about beware he who wants to control information? Well, it's the opposite: beware he who offers free flow of information, for he wants to be your master.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

GrosseAdmiralFox wrote: 2019-01-20 05:31pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-20 04:11pm Thanks for the summary.

The thing is the entire investigation has indicated that this is just more than Trump and his immediate circle, as we're getting indications that top GOP brass has been either complicit with this entire shitshow or literally in on it. Hence why the GOP trying to shut this investigation down.
Nunes at the very least should be charged with obstruction, Rorbacher is probably working on Russia's behalf (though thankfully out of office now), and quite possibly high-ranking members of the RNC. I also find the behavior of Rand Paul and Mitch McConnel suspicious as hell, among others.

For other parties, the influence is less, but I wouldn't be shocked if Tulsi Gabbard turned out to be dirty, and Jill Stein almost certainly is.
It doesn't help that our current preconceptions have been flawed from well before this affair. Freedom of Speech and Information aren't protections of democracy but literal weapons against it. The Russians have been rather effective in showing us THAT.
That is a gross oversimplification. Russia and Trump exploited principles of freedom of expression and information, but I would contend that they were able to do so in part because we have selective freedom of expression and information in our society, which is to say we don't really have it at all. And because the media and Democratic leadership frankly did a shit job of debunking their propaganda effectively.

No concept is completely proof against any failure or sabotage, but that doesn't mean you throw out the entire concept. We don't disband the entire court system because of the occasional (or frequent) wrongful conviction, for example. What we should do is try to identify specific vulnerabilities, and counter them. Not necessarily by more censorship, but by finding more effective ways to identify misinformation and counter with our own message.

But if you reduce it to "freedom of speech/information is a weapon against democracy", then what you are really saying is that democracy cannot exist. Because democracy relies on the people being able to choose their government, and the people cannot make a meaningful choice if they are not informed as to what their options are. Nor is it possible to even have a political opposition (ie, to be anything other than an autocracy) unless it is possible to public express diverse views.

The very worst lesson we could take from this is "freedom doesn't work, we need to censor everything in order to protect ourselves". In part because discrediting democracy as a concept is a big part of Putin's goals in all this.

Congratulations- you've learned exactly what Putin wants you to learn.
Thus that Sid Meiers' Alpha Centuari quote about beware he who wants to control information? Well, it's the opposite: beware he who offers free flow of information, for he wants to be your master.
This is literally Orwellian. Freedom is slavery.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I do think that there is a valid point here, though, which is that Putin, perhaps more than any previous enemy America has faced (with the possible exception of the Mid-19th. Century South) has figured out how to turn our institutions and values against us, using them in order to ultimately destroy them. This, in my view (combined with his possession of a nuclear arsenal that makes him essentially immune to any real consequences for his actions), makes him arguably the most dangerous opponent that the United States has ever faced since its founding (again, with the possible exception of the Slave Aristocracy, who's ideological descendants Putin has chosen as his chief agents in undermining the United States from within).

GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

The thing is that Orwell is flat out wrong. That and freedom and morals is a rather fluid construct that evolves within the technological context we live in.
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

It should be also noted that this has been going lightning fast for such an investigation... and there are 17 different investigations going on that relate to this shingdig.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

GrosseAdmiralFox wrote: 2019-01-20 06:25pm The thing is that Orwell is flat out wrong. That and freedom and morals is a rather fluid construct that evolves within the technological context we live in.
I wouldn't say its as simple as "Orwell was wrong and Huxley was right". I think both of them saw parts of the picture- Orwell understood how language could be twisted and hate could be used to control society, and Huxley understood how apathy and hedonism could be used to control society (with occassional interventions by more overt authoritarian means). But I definitely see strong echoes of Orwell's Big Brother in Trumpian and Russian propaganda's constant and deliberate self-contradictions.

On a slightly-related note, it infuriates me how the Right has hijacked Orwell and portrayed him as a champion of Libertarianism and "anti-PC" (ie hate speech). Orwell warned against the dangers of totalitarian governments manipulating speech, and he was an anti-Stalinist, but he was no friend to the Right- he was in fact a democratic socialist who fought for (and was shot in the throat for) the Left in the Spanish Civil War. He would be appalled by Libertarians, much less Trumpers.

GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-20 09:33pm
I wouldn't say its as simple as "Orwell was wrong and Huxley was right". I think both of them saw parts of the picture- Orwell understood how language could be twisted and hate could be used to control society, and Huxley understood how apathy and hedonism could be used to control society (with occassional interventions by more overt authoritarian means). But I definitely see strong echoes of Orwell's Big Brother in Trumpian and Russian propaganda's constant and deliberate self-contradictions.

On a slightly-related note, it infuriates me how the Right has hijacked Orwell and portrayed him as a champion of Libertarianism and "anti-PC" (ie hate speech). Orwell warned against the dangers of totalitarian governments manipulating speech, and he was an anti-Stalinist, but he was no friend to the Right- he was in fact a democratic socialist who fought for (and was shot in the throat for) the Left in the Spanish Civil War. He would be appalled by Libertarians, much less Trumpers.
Problem with your assumption is that you assume that humans don't operate on a Hobbes/Locke framework when in reality they do. Nixion was only guilty of the coverup (he already knew that he was going to win by a good margin during his reelection, also he maybe paranoid, but he wasn't stupid) and by everything we have we got on hand it looks like Nixon's own party ordered the break in. If you want to blame anyone for this mess, blame the Reagan Administration and their stupid deregulation bullshit.

Humans need regulation, always have, always will and always depending on the technological context.

Huxley is right because of human physiology, not ethics. We meatbags can only process so much information and without regulation the media can simply throw enough white noise to jack the narrative.

Then there is the fact that this isn't a normal investigation but going with the FBI Mob Takedown route which starts at the bottom and goes to the top. The biggest problem with the situation is that thanks to Reagan, the GOP has FOX News and co as their propaganda machine...

EDIT: On further News:

Clue in Mueller filing suggests Manafort kept working on topic of interest to Russia after indictment - Washington Post, January 17, 2019, 4:28 PM EST, updated 6:57 PM EST
In a tiny font at the top of the 82nd page of a lengthy document filed in court this week by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III is a key clue to his ongoing interest in Paul Manafort, President Trump’s former campaign chairman.

The four words of unredacted text suggest that in February 2018 — four months after Manafort was first charged with crimes related to his work as a political consultant in Ukraine — he still appears to have been working on a peace initiative for Ukraine, a topic of intense interest to Russia.

And it suggests he was doing so in concert with Konstantin Kilimnik, a Russian employee of his consulting firm who is alleged to have ties to Russian intelligence.

But a tiny detail in the heavily redacted declaration filed by prosecutors Monday indicates that Manafort was working on a possible Ukrainian plan as late as 2018.

The document related to a topic that prosecutors wrote that Manafort “had not mentioned . . . during any of his twelve interviews” with investigators this fall after he agreed to cooperate.
It's the Declaration in Support of the Government's Breach Determination and Sentencing filing from last Tuesday, January 15. "Page 82" that's quoted there is page 113 of the PDF: "New initiative for Peace copy", last created 2/10/18 8:51 AM, last modified 2/10/18 8:51 AM , and last printed 2/5/2018 11:08 AM. (Just in case FYI for non US-SBers, our date format is typically MM/DD/YYYY.)

If I remember right, the situation is so bad that a judge has told one of Trump's inner circle (EDIT: It's Flynn) on record that he has outright done treason. That has never happened before in the US judicial system, and that is a major out of character moment for anyone within the judicial system in the US.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

GrosseAdmiralFox wrote: 2019-01-21 04:27amProblem with your assumption is that you assume that humans don't operate on a Hobbes/Locke framework when in reality they do. Nixion was only guilty of the coverup (he already knew that he was going to win by a good margin during his reelection, also he maybe paranoid, but he wasn't stupid) and by everything we have we got on hand it looks like Nixon's own party ordered the break in. If you want to blame anyone for this mess, blame the Reagan Administration and their stupid deregulation bullshit.

Humans need regulation, always have, always will and always depending on the technological context.

Huxley is right because of human physiology, not ethics. We meatbags can only process so much information and without regulation the media can simply throw enough white noise to jack the narrative.
I think to some extent you are making assumptions, about my views. You seem to have me pegged as generally anti-regulation, which isn't the case- I'm a socialist for God's sake, not a libertarian. But I am leery of strict limitations on freedom of expression or mass media, beyond the very basic (incitement of violence, libel, plagiarism, etc.)- particularly if it's to limit the spread of political views. Because who determines which views should be censored? That is a tool that would be very easily turned against us by the likes of Trump and Putin. And remember, undermining faith in democracy and its underlying principles is a big part of what they want. So its seems unwise to me to try to counter an adversary by giving them a big piece of what they want.
Then there is the fact that this isn't a normal investigation but going with the FBI Mob Takedown route which starts at the bottom and goes to the top. The biggest problem with the situation is that thanks to Reagan, the GOP has FOX News and co as their propaganda machine...

EDIT: On further News:

Clue in Mueller filing suggests Manafort kept working on topic of interest to Russia after indictment - Washington Post, January 17, 2019, 4:28 PM EST, updated 6:57 PM EST
In a tiny font at the top of the 82nd page of a lengthy document filed in court this week by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III is a key clue to his ongoing interest in Paul Manafort, President Trump’s former campaign chairman.

The four words of unredacted text suggest that in February 2018 — four months after Manafort was first charged with crimes related to his work as a political consultant in Ukraine — he still appears to have been working on a peace initiative for Ukraine, a topic of intense interest to Russia.

And it suggests he was doing so in concert with Konstantin Kilimnik, a Russian employee of his consulting firm who is alleged to have ties to Russian intelligence.

But a tiny detail in the heavily redacted declaration filed by prosecutors Monday indicates that Manafort was working on a possible Ukrainian plan as late as 2018.

The document related to a topic that prosecutors wrote that Manafort “had not mentioned . . . during any of his twelve interviews” with investigators this fall after he agreed to cooperate.
It's the Declaration in Support of the Government's Breach Determination and Sentencing filing from last Tuesday, January 15. "Page 82" that's quoted there is page 113 of the PDF: "New initiative for Peace copy", last created 2/10/18 8:51 AM, last modified 2/10/18 8:51 AM , and last printed 2/5/2018 11:08 AM. (Just in case FYI for non US-SBers, our date format is typically MM/DD/YYYY.)

If I remember right, the situation is so bad that a judge has told one of Trump's inner circle (EDIT: It's Flynn) on record that he has outright done treason. That has never happened before in the US judicial system, and that is a major out of character moment for anyone within the judicial system in the US.
The judge asked if Flynn felt his actions were treasonous, IIRC. Which is striking, but in my own opinion, Flynn's actions (or those we know of publicly) don't quite rise to the level of treason as defined in the law (which is pretty carefully defined in the Constitution).

If it turns out that Trump really has been deliberately sabotaging US interests on behalf of Russia, that might. If he was aware of/complicit in Russia's efforts to instigate political violence in the US (setting up opposing rallies that would be likely to clash), then that might as well. I also personally think Trump committed treason when he kissed Kim Jong Un's ass at that summit (remember, the US is technically at war with NK, still), and just a few days ago, when he deliberately leaked Pelosi's travel plans to the Middle East to force her to cancel the trip (he was leaking classified information in order to endanger a member of Congress, by indirectly passing that information to terrorist groups we are at war with).

But I doubt anyone really wants to accuse Trump of treason over Russia, at least if they've thought through the implications- because treason is usually reserved for aiding enemies we are at war with, and so accusing Trump of treason is implicitly stating that we are in a state of war with Russia- and no one wants that (well, unless you think nuclear armaggedon sounds like a fun time). Treason would also be a pretty high standard to prove, I think.

The more likely charges are things like:

"Conspiracy Against the United States" (Mueller has used this one repeatedly).
Obstruction of Justice.
Perjury/lying to the FBI/lying to Congress.
Witness Tampering.
Money Laundering.

Numbers 2 and 4 there is a pretty good case for already, based on publicly available information. 1 and 5 are based on circumstantial evidence, and will depend on what Mueller ultimately reveals. Number 3 probably has occurred (knowing Trump, there's no way he didn't lie in his written statements to Mueller), but we'll have to wait and see to be sure.

GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Yeah, from what I remember, the US justice system doesn't go and ask the prosecution to add treason to the list... and I've seen articles of reputable sources that have the judge say that.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Still not a charge we're ever terribly likely to see leveled, in my opinion, for practical reasons. The likely charge for "collusion" is going to be "Conspiracy Against the United States" or "Conspiracy to Defraud the United States".

GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-21 06:51pm Still not a charge we're ever terribly likely to see leveled, in my opinion, for practical reasons. The likely charge for "collusion" is going to be "Conspiracy Against the United States" or "Conspiracy to Defraud the United States".
Actually, in the grand scheme of things, we're probably going to see Sedition and/or Espionage for most of those involved.
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Might be nothing but given how accurate the journalists have been so far (i.e. generally on the money within standard deviation)...

Mueller sets his sights on Mike Pence - DC Tribune
If you’ve followed DC Tribune‘s reporting on the ongoing Mueller investigation, you no doubt saw our piece on the possible investigation of Vice President Mike Pence by the special counsel and the confirmed investigations being carried out by the Democratic Coalition and other transparency groups.
And lest anyone forget, or perhaps think that the Gulen matter was something isolated from the Trump campaign and between Flynn, Kian, and Erdoğan alone: Two days ago, the New York Times reported that Trump himself was still considering Gulen’s extradition — the culmination of the crime that Flynn began while he was Trump’s national security adviser.
The only reason to hang on to a witness or key player that you intend to charge for as long as Mueller waited to charge Kian is if you are compiling a larger case against someone higher than the fish you’re about to fry. And the fish right above Bijan Kian and Mike Flynn?

Vice President Mike Pence.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

GrosseAdmiralFox wrote: 2019-01-22 02:13am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-21 06:51pm Still not a charge we're ever terribly likely to see leveled, in my opinion, for practical reasons. The likely charge for "collusion" is going to be "Conspiracy Against the United States" or "Conspiracy to Defraud the United States".
Actually, in the grand scheme of things, we're probably going to see Sedition and/or Espionage for most of those involved.
Maybe, but I think its foolish to raise expectations too high (which talk of Treason charges, in my view, generally does), because if it then doesn't play out that way, then what does come out will seem anti-climactic, and a lot of people might think "That wasn't so bad, it was much ado about nothing." At least that's my thought.

Interesting thing about Pence- maybe Pelosi really will be the first female President (though again, I doubt it- I think we'll be lucky to get one impeachment, much less two).

GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-22 01:06pm Maybe, but I think its foolish to raise expectations too high (which talk of Treason charges, in my view, generally does), because if it then doesn't play out that way, then what does come out will seem anti-climactic, and a lot of people might think "That wasn't so bad, it was much ado about nothing." At least that's my thought.

Interesting thing about Pence- maybe Pelosi really will be the first female President (though again, I doubt it- I think we'll be lucky to get one impeachment, much less two).
Given that this going down like a standard FBI Mob takedown? I wouldn't be surprised that quite a few people in the GOP (with a few people outside the party, particularly the Greens) get the FBI sic'ed on them when the report gets released (or, given how Mueller has been consistently been at least ten steps ahead of everyone, the FBI are already on it given that they've put Far Right/Sovereign Citizen/Alt-Right on the tippy top of their watch lists).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, we can only hope.

I think that for all its faults, most of the people working in the FBI are genuine patriots, and even if I wouldn't see eye-to-eye with them on a lot of issues (Mueller is a Republican after all, and Comey was, though he seems to have switched to being more or less pro-Democrat after his firing from the Trump Administration), I do not think they will idly sit by while someone they know is likely a traitor and a foreign agent is running the country. And that is, sad to say, probably the best hope we have right now.