Amnesty strips Myanmar leader of award

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

B5B7
Jedi Knight

Amnesty strips Myanmar leader of award

Post by B5B7 »

Aung San Suu Kyi has been stripped of a "Conscience Award" she received in 2009:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-13/ ... d/10490944

Not a big surprise, as concerns were raised quite a while ago about her attitude to the Rohingya people.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Amnesty strips Myanmar leader of award

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Good. Never be afraid to criticize your heroes, when you find that they have fallen from grace (or never possessed it to begin with).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Amnesty should not have given the award in the first place if they looked beyond her PR and looked into what kind of policies she wanted.

Organisations like Amnesty falls too easily for soundbites.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

One can search old interviews she had on the Rohingya issue. Its quite telling. Basically all those Myamnar citizens launching pogroms against the Rohingya, well that's the fault of the military junta from waaay back. Because it made the people paranoid, and paranoid people obviously take things out against another group that isn't them. She sounded like an American politician using talking points.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

You know that using talking points isn't something America invented, right?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-11-13 03:05pm You know that using talking points isn't something America invented, right?
Well yeah its not just American, but American POLITICIANS do have a characteristic style with talking points. That is they must bring the talking point up even when its not related to the question being asked. See Sarah Palin's debate with Joe Biden or google Marco Rubio robot to see what I mean. In that interview Su Kyii kept on going back to how bad the military junta was when the topic was about the persecution of the Rohingya even by everyday Myanmar civilians.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.