migrants carrying smallpox - Fox news

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

migrants carrying smallpox - Fox news

Post by mr friendly guy »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news- ... ed-in-1980
As immigration opponents continue to froth over the caravan making its way from Central America toward the United States, some are floating the idea that asylum-seekers will bring disease with them—including one that was wiped out nearly 40 years ago.

The right-wing magazine The New American ran a story over the weekend headlined: “Will Migrant Caravan Kill Your Child—With Disease?”

“What about diseases?” Fox & Friends co-host Brian Kilmeade asked Monday. Later, Fox News contributor Sidney Powell suggested that the current outbreak of acute flaccid myelitis (AFM) affecting children was because of migrants—prompting host Lou Dobbs to correct her on air.

And former immigration agent David Ward, also appearing on Fox, cited a disease that doesn't actually exist anymore.

“We have these individuals coming in from all over the world that have some of the most extreme medical care in the world,” Ward said. “And they're coming in with diseases such as smallpox and leprosy and TB [tuberculosis] that are going to infect our people in the United States.

It's next to impossible for the migrants to have smallpox, the last known case of which was seen in Somalia in 1977. The uncurable disease, characterized by painful pustules that erupt on skin and internal organs, was declared eradicated in 1980 after an aggressive worldwide vaccination campaign. The only remains of it (as far as public health officials are aware) are in Russia and an undisclosed U.S. lab controlled by the Centers for Disease Control.

Some researchers have looked at the virus’s potential replication and dissemination as a bioterror weapon. One Canadian researcher sparked controversy by claiming to have replicated the disease by ordering DNA fragments through the Internet, stitching them together and creating horsepox, a variant that doesn’t affect humans.

But the chance of migrants carrying smallpox over the border, without the involvement of state-sponsored terrorism, is practically zero.

Ward's concerns about leprosy and tuberculosis are more plausible but still no reason for panic. The World Health Organization declared leprosy “eliminated as a public health problem” in 2000, though some pockets—most notably in India and Brazil—remain. Central America has reported scattered cases in the years since then.

Tuberculosis is a worldwide public health issue, but already exists in the U.S. and is treatable by antibiotics, according to the World Health Organization.

After Ward’s comment, Fox’s press office sent out a clip it billed as Charles Payne clarifying the issue for viewers.

But Payne only referred to leprosy and TB and did not mention the ludicrous smallpox comment. Even then, he did not disavow Ward’s comments, saying only: “We have no way of independently confirming this.”

Meanwhile, Dobbs’ guest seized on public fears about a different condition, AFM, a mysterious ailment that spiked in the U.S. this year with 72 confirmed cases so far.

It came up as Powell, a former federal prosecutor calling for a crackdown on migrants, said the U.S. could not handle what she termed an “invasion.”

“We have diseases spreading across the country that are causing polio-like paralysis of our children,” she said.

That fact-free assertion was too much even for Dobbs.

“You can’t very well blame that disease on illegal immigrants,” he said. “We don’t know the cause of it. I don’t know that’s fair.”

But Powell remained undaunted.

“That is part of the problem,” she responded. “We don’t know where the diseases are coming from.”

Conservatives have used fear-mongering about disease in the past. In 2014, they launched a campaign to portray Latino immigrants as Ebola carriers, even though there have been no reported cases of Ebola among migrants or people of Latin American origin entering the United States.

At the time, Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC) said in a debate that the U.S. risked being exposed to Ebola without a secure border with Mexico. Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) echoed these false concerns in 2016.
Yes people, migrants are carrying a disease wiped out decades ago. Patrick Deagan when he was here would chime in with "sometimes the comedy writes itself."

PS - click on the link to watch the video claiming migrants are carrying smallpox. Jesus christ on a pogo stick.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: migrants carrying smallpox - Fox news

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

In this case, it's so funny, it's not funny.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Indeed. I can't find much humour in the Treason Party's latest fabricated excuse for dictatorship and ethnic cleansing.

If Smallpox were to make a comeback, I hope that orange scrotum is the first to catch it.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

I'm sure the BIA has a few of those...special blankets still in storage just for him. And Halfpence. And Rotten Ryan. And...
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The notion that Those People carry deadly diseases is straight out of the old Nazi propaganda film The Eternal Jew by Fritz Hippler.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

This is too funny not so share since we are talking about smallpox.

Today I was asked to fill out a medical for someone who wants to work as an Au Pair in the US. That includes documenting list of vaccinations and in the document it includes a section on vaccines which are not mandatory but desirable, including meningitis (presumably they mean meningococcal), typhoid and wait for it.... smallpox. I kid you not. Seriously USA. Do they suspect Fox Mulder and Dana Scully are right about genetically engineered smallpox to spread alien DNA or some shit.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Gee, diseases pop out from populations that are from a place with non-functioning healthcare services that would eliminate those diseases.

If only there was something preventative against smallpox that would teach the immune system to fight it effectively and thus turn it into a small problem.

/s
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Zixinus wrote: 2018-11-09 01:40pm Gee, diseases pop out from populations that are from a place with non-functioning healthcare services that would eliminate those diseases.

If only there was something preventative against smallpox that would teach the immune system to fight it effectively and thus turn it into a small problem.

/s
But, that would cause autism. And cooties. [/sarcasm]