Sacha Baron Cohen Gets Beaten At His Own Game

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Sacha Baron Cohen Gets Beaten At His Own Game

Post by Zaune »

Daily Dot
Georgia lawmaker screams N-word, exposes himself to Sacha Baron Cohen

Jason Spencer, a Republican state lawmaker in Georgia, screams the N-word, exposes himself, and mocks Asian tourists during a segment that aired on Sunday as part of Sacha Baron Cohen‘s Who is America? series on Showtime.

In the video, Cohen pretends to be “Col. Erran Morad,” a former officer in Mossad. Cohen convinced Spencer to be part of an anti-terrorism “training video.”

Spencer partakes in a number of racist and homophobic acts in the video.

Early on, he listens to Cohen say they can “spot the difference” between a woman in a Burka and a “terrorist in a Burka” by using a selfie stick and taking pictures underneath the burka. In 2016, Spencer introduced a bill that would make it illegal for women to wear burkas, hijabs, or niqabs in public.

When Cohen says to “pretend like a Chinese tourist,” Spencer takes the selfie stick and begins rattling off a line of nonsensical racist words in a mocking Asian accent in between real words like “sushi,” “konichiwa,” “red dragon,” and city names like Beijing and Hong Kong.

Later, Cohen says he can teach the Georgia lawmaker how to stop someone from a “kidnapping by ISIS” by shouting the N-word, which he does loudly.

Toward the end of the video, Cohen convinces Spencer to take off his pants and shout “America” while pushing his buttocks into someone.

“I’ll touch you, I’ll make you a homosexual!” Spencer says, running with his pants down. “You drop that gun right now. USA! USA!”

Last week Spencer, like others before him, admitted he had been tricked by Cohen and said he was told the video was “intended to be an educational aid to train elected officials who may be targeted by terrorists.”

“They exploited my state of mind for profit and notoriety,” he said in a statement posted online by New York Times writer Sopan Deb. “This media company’s deceptive and fraudulent behavior is exactly why President Donald Trump was elected.”

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal (R) said on Monday that Spencer’s remarks on the show were “appalling and offensive.”

“The actions and language used by Jason Spencer are appalling and offensive. There is no excuse for this type of behavior, ever, and I am saddened and disgusted by it,” he wrote on Twitter.
Normally it's Sacha Baron Cohen's character who's the most ridiculously exaggerated stereotype in the room, not whoever he's conned into appearing on camera with him.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Re: Sacha Baron Cohen Gets Beaten At His Own Game

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Beaten at his own game? More like wildly overperforms his own game.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Wrong Cohen. Never mind.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-07-23 04:33pmWhy should anyone care if a man who beats on women has any game at all?
Baron Cohen, or Spencer?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

About 90% of Sacha Baron Cohen's routine is being a ridiculous caricature while supposedly "serious" people drop their filter and end up doing and saying things 100 times stupider than his parody. Have you ever seen Borat?

What happened is literally the opposite of what the thread title is claiming. Spencer's thing is Cohen succeeding beyond his wildest dreams.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Civil War Man wrote: 2018-07-23 05:35pmAbout 90% of Sacha Baron Cohen's routine is being a ridiculous caricature while supposedly "serious" people drop their filter and end up doing and saying things 100 times stupider than his parody. Have you ever seen Borat?

What happened is literally the opposite of what the thread title is claiming. Spencer's thing is Cohen succeeding beyond his wildest dreams.
No, but I have seen Da Ali G Show, which was broadly similar except very few if any of his guests were bigger twats than the character he was playing.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Cohen's whole shtick is being a character. He just happened to meet someone who was a slightly bigger character than him, and is completely unironic about it.

I suspect we'll see a lot of politicians getting embarrassed as clips and episodes get released...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Zaune wrote: 2018-07-23 04:43pm
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-07-23 04:33pmWhy should anyone care if a man who beats on women has any game at all?
Baron Cohen, or Spencer?
I had the wrong dude entirely. The one I was thinking about has a similar name, but played on a shitty 80s sitcom called "Step By Step," alongside Patrick Duffy and Suzanne Somers, and got the show cancelled because his beating on his wife made the news, and ABC Didn't appreciate that. Apologies for the confusion.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I saw the show. It was horrific. And so much of it....

Like he's winding up an alambma audiance by propposing a modern mosque, and two men in the audience spontanesouly also bring blacks into it "we have them here too, and we don't like them but we do tolerate them"
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2018-07-24 07:02amI saw the show. It was horrific. And so much of it....

Like he's winding up an alambma audiance by propposing a modern mosque, and two men in the audience spontanesouly also bring blacks into it "we have them here too, and we don't like them but we do tolerate them"
I think I'm beginning to understand why the "crisis actors" conspiracy angle suckers so many people, because I really want to believe they were extras planted in the audience for the sake of a gag because nobody could possibly be that much of a stereotypical redneck in real life.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

PS Spencer has resigned over this now.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

If I thought his trolling couldn't get better, Baron Cohen one ups this.

Long story short, he convinces a pro gun advocate that he survived an islamic beheading attempts by biting the penis of the person with the sword. He did this for more than 4 hours. So he teaches this man how to use this technique by using a dildo. No, I am not kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wn8GW5BY0E
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Do these people not watch any tv? I mean, it's a month since the last scandal...

Or did he record all of these in a batch and only releases them in small bites?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

LaCroix wrote: 2018-08-19 05:12amDo these people not watch any tv? I mean, it's a month since the last scandal...

Depends which TV networks you watch. Has Fox News reported on this story, for example?

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

LaCroix wrote: 2018-08-19 05:12am Do these people not watch any tv? I mean, it's a month since the last scandal...

The man pranked gave an interview to the NYT

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/13/arts ... erica.html

The gist of it is, he doesn't watch show time, had no idea who Sacha Baron Cohen is, and it was filmed last July (the show only started airing this July), so there is plenty of reason for this particular guy to be punked despite the show already airing.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.