Why identity politics benefits the right more than the left

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Why identity politics benefits the right more than the left

Post by The Romulan Republic »

ray245 wrote: 2018-07-17 01:21pm
Nicholas wrote: 2018-07-17 09:17am This thread so surprised and confused me I decided to delurk in order to comment on it.

It seems to me that you all are completely misunderstanding the originally posted article. The article doesn't say that the Left needs to change its goals or the policies it seeks to advance. The article says the Left needs to change the arguments it makes for those policies. As I understood the article it says that if the Left wants to win it needs to argue for its desired policies by emphasizing the fact that people are the same instead of the fact that people are different.

Since support for a democratic republic and the rule of law has been repeatedly mentioned let me use that as an example. What I believe the article is saying is not that the Left needs to compromise its support for those things in order to win elections in the US. It is saying that if the Left wants to win elections it needs to stop arguing for those things by saying that people are different so we need to have a democratic republic and the rule of law because only those will let the very different people who live in the US live together in peace. Instead the Left needs to argue that people are basically the same and therefor justice requires that they all be treated the same and therefor justice requires a democratic republic and the rule of law because no other system of government as effectively guarantees people equal treatment.

Nicholas
Thank you. Because I find it quite frustrating that many of the participants in this thread are not engaging with the actual article itself.
That doesn't really tally with what you yourself have been arguing with me, which is that the Democrats likely lost because they advocated "social justice" positions.

I think you need to define, clearly, what you mean by "identity politics" before we go any further.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-17 07:24pmHere's a fun fact from CNN last night: according to recent polling, Trump has, among Republicans, the highest approval rating of any Republican President in history. Higher than George W. Bush's approval rating the week after 9/11. This is post-locking children in cages, remember.
Are you fucking kidding me?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: there are effectively two parties in the US right now- Democrats, and Fascists.

Now, granted, there's also a large chunk of independents, some of whom tend to favor Republicans and some of whom tend to favor Democrats. I don't know what Trump's approval rating with them is off the top of my head. But winning over actual Republicans? Forget about it. Pretty much anyone who was going to abandon that ship has already done it by now. What's left is the fucking dregs, the committed neo-fascists and Cult of Trumpers and those who are willing to collaborate with them- the people who will stand by him right up to and past gas chambers, and the people I genuinely wouldn't want on my team even if they were the majority.

Fortunately, they're not. I am confident that we can win on enthusiastic turnout from the base and from anti-Trump independents, if we can mobilize that turnout. But that we will not do, if the Democratic Party were to compromise on even our most basic principles.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-17 07:43pmI've said it before, but it bears repeating: there are effectively two parties in the US right now- Democrats, and Fascists.

Now, granted, there's also a large chunk of independents, some of whom tend to favor Republicans and some of whom tend to favor Democrats. I don't know what Trump's approval rating with them is off the top of my head. But winning over actual Republicans? Forget about it. Pretty much anyone who was going to abandon that ship has already done it by now. What's left is the fucking dregs, the committed neo-fascists and Cult of Trumpers and those who are willing to collaborate with them- the people who will stand by him right up to and past gas chambers, and the people I genuinely wouldn't want on my team even if they were the majority.

Fortunately, they're not. I am confident that we can win on enthusiastic turnout from the base and from anti-Trump independents, if we can mobilize that turnout. But that we will not do, if the Democratic Party were to compromise on even our most basic principles.
Any idea if the actual number of registered Republicans has dropped at all? Because as I understand the US political system, registering as an Independent proves only that you don't want part of your taxes going to either political party.

And why anyone thought having political party membership even remotely connected to the electoral register was a good idea I still have no bloody clue, by the way, much less the complete lack of control the parties themselves seem to have: In most countries there's at least a nominal screening process, and more importantly a process for expelling people for serious enough misconduct.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-17 07:24pm So you acknowledge that they might very well lose votes by doing this, but then just repeat (without really elaborating as to why) that the votes of Centre Right whites are the only votes that matter?
I thought I've been quite clear on the reasons? It doesn't matter if safe Democrat states like California or New York has an increased turnout from minorities and others. What matters is the states that was lost to Trump in 2016 and trying to win those states back.

Again, the overall numbers of voters is less of an issue than where the voters are from. This is the US electoral system, and you have to play the game if you want to win.

More than that, they're trying to suppress the votes of the poor and minorities, so that middle and upper-class white peoples' votes are the only ones that matter.

I would contend that rather than accommodating that strategy, we work to a) challenge voter suppression and gerrymandering in court, and b) work on mobilizing enthusiastic turnout to help offset the suppression tactics.

Note also that which states are swing states is not necessarily fixed, and that winning a few swing states is only the be-all and end-all in Presidential elections- the Democrats' further alienating their base would potentially hurt them in down-ballot races all over the country.
All those stuff would require the Democrats and the progressives to recapture the various houses of the government. The fact that the Judicial branch (supreme court) is becoming more dominated by conservative judges is not helping you at the moment. Recapture the various branches of the US government, then we can talk about reforms and challenge voter suppression/gerrymandering.
Of course, but winning new states will do you no good if you lose states you currently hold in the process. There are swing states that went to Hillary that might not go Democrat if the party takes a dump on its base, as you propose.
You need both kinds of states to win an election. You cannot be concerned with protecting your remaining states. You need to be on the offensive as well.
Err, Virginia went Democrat, as I said.
Virginia alone is not enough to win the next election.
Were you aware that the key swing states that voted for Trump (Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania) and put him over the top all went to Obama? That alone calls into question the assumption that it was fear of the scary minorities that cost the Democrats those states.

Also, read these articles, which lay out a case for how it was not more voters turning out for Trump, but fewer voters turning out for Hillary (including black voters) that cost her those states:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/re ... -election/

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... ction.html

In other words, a very strong argument can be made that it was not centrists or conservatives fleeing from identity politics and voting Trump, but disgruntled Leftists who simply stayed home or protest-voted, that cost Clinton the election. In which case, again, your proposed solution would in fact be pretty much guaranteed to make the problem worse.
If the fear of Trump is not enough to mobilise those base, there is no certainty your approach could mobilise them in the next election.
Don't try to be cute. You know perfectly well what the point of that analogy is: that sometimes there is a moral imperative to defend a position which overrides short-term security- that some battles have to be fought even if they are costly. And that trading fundamental principles for advantage isn't compromising- its surrendering.
An actual war is entirely different from an election campaign. With war, you already have nothing left to lose. You are already being killed left and right. In an election campaign, there is still hope of you recapturing power.
My mistake, though I would still question why you apparently feel that this one article is the definitive word on the subject.
I'm not. I'm saying we should allow our assumptions to be challenged, even if it makes us feel uncomfortable. We need to engage with the idea that the existing strategy might actually play into the far-right hands.

The question is are you interested in winning in a discussion against me or are you interested in discussing the points raised by the actual article?

So in short, humans are naturally Right-wing bigots, so we shouldn't bother ever trying to stand up for Left-wing principles because we're certain to lose?
:banghead: That was not my argument nor the argument of the article. Standing up for left-wing principles is not the same as making it your central campaign strategy.
If that is the case (which I do not concede, but for the sake of argument), then again, why not just drop the pretense and vote Republican, if you've given up any hope of changing the world for the better?

You can bet a lot of voters will be asking that question if the Democratic Party abandons its base. I repeat that in 2016, perhaps the single most damaging argument against the Democrats was that they were "no different from the Republicans". Trump and Russia expertly capitalized on this cynicism to encourage angry Leftists and "anti-establishment" voters to protest vote or stay home, and that is likely one of the things that cost Hillary Clinton the election. This is all well-known and widely reported on.

It was largely a lie in 2016. What you advocate would be to give the lie credence.
Obama did not win the 2008 election on the basis of being a left-wing progressive. He won because he managed to play up the image of being a centrist. This was the guy that opposed homosexual marriages for crying out loud in his 2008 election campaign.

The most successful progressive campaigns have mostly been based on building a broad coalition that can bring in "centrists" voters. Once they've gained the sufficient political capital, they can make use of that political capital to pursue left-wing ideas. ( There's a good argument that Obama wasted his political capital, but that's another debate altogether).
:banghead:

Whatever I say, you just repeat your one talking point: an assumption, based on citing a single article, that the only voters who matter are bigoted voters on the Right, that the key cause of Trump's election was a backlash against identity politics, and that any attempt to defend progressive policies will cost votes while any abandonment of them will not (or at least, not votes that matter).

Point out that trying to pander the bigots won't work, because they're nearly all lifetime members of the Cult of Trump?

"But then progressive policies might continue to lose support."
Here's a fun fact from CNN last night: according to recent polling, Trump has, among Republicans, the highest approval rating of any Republican President in history. Higher than George W. Bush's approval rating the week after 9/11. This is post-locking children in cages, remember.
Here's the question for you. How many of those that voted for Trump are moderates and how many of those are hardcore supporters that jumped deep into the rabbit hole? At the end of the day, we must acknowledge there were a number of self-called "moderates" that voted for Trump in 2016.
If you want to talk about winning over moderates who might stay home, alright. I still think you're wrong, but at least that's within the realm of reason. But you can forget about winning over Trump supporters. The Republican Party is a neo-fascist party built on a cult of the leader. Full stop. We are not winning over these people in any remotely significant numbers.
And how are you going to win over the moderates who might have stayed at home in 2016? How is the approach you are advocating going to get those moderates to vote for you instead of staying at home once again?

The Bernie-or-Bust crowd are not reliable Democratic voters, obviously, but the Bernie-or-Bust crowd is not synonymous with the Democratic base. There are a lot of voters on the Left, a lot of Democratic voters(largely women and minority voters) who were not part of the Bernie-or-Bust crowd but are absolutely essential to the Democrats being a viable political party at the national level, who would be alienated by what you propose.
Are they alone enough to flip back the states? They might play a decisive role, but their votes alone will not be enough if you don't have the support of the "moderates".

As to Clinton's defeat, as I previously noted, a compelling case can be made that it occurred due to lower turnout from traditionally Democratic voters and the base- likely due partly to Hillary herself, but also due partly to the perception that the Democrats are just Republican-lite. A perception which you are essentially arguing that the party should double-down on.

In short, the course you are proposing is so tailor-made to benefit Trumpism, not the Democrats, that if I did not know better I would think that was your intent.
And how common was this perception in the crucial swing states? I don't deny there is this perception, but if this perception is largely based in the urban and safe Democrat areas, then it's not as important as you think. You need to acknowledge the rules of the game in US election system. A strategy for mobilising more support in safe Democrats states is not the same as a strategy in the swing states.
The slow-motion blue wave in special elections over the last year and half would suggest so, though this November is the real test.
As you pointed out, some of them were won by centre-right Democrats. This does not suggest your approach will work on a nation-wide level. And if the Democrats failed to retake the Senate and the house this November? That would mean the strategy you are adovcating allowed the Republicans to further entrench themselves in the government.

There are some Democrats who are "moderates" on many issues, but as women and minorities would be potentially alienated by this strategy. There are others who might indeed be alienated by a strong progressive/social justice platform- but I would contend that "moderates" are probably less likely to act on their disgruntlement than the base. Perhaps a strong Left-wing platform could cost moderate Democratic votes if there were a moderate alternative on the Right- but there isn't. No one who is actually "moderate" is going to jump ship now because the Democrats support social justice. Not considering who and what the alternative is.
Again, this is what the article is trying to discuss. She is suggesting your assumption that the "moderates are less likely to act on their disgruntlement" might not be true. That's the thing you need to engage with if you hope to win the re-elections. What if the moderates ended up being more likely to act on their disgruntlement than the women and minorities who were alienated?
That doesn't really tally with what you yourself have been arguing with me, which is that the Democrats likely lost because they advocated "social justice" positions.

I think you need to define, clearly, what you mean by "identity politics" before we go any further.
It would help if you read the article? Identity politics used by the left-wing (as described by the author of the article) is essentially this:
Relatedly, research suggests that calling people racist when they do not see themselves that way is counterproductive. As noted above, while there surely are true bigots, studies show that not all those who exhibit intolerant behavior harbor extreme racial animus. Moreover, as Stanford psychologist Alana Conner notes, if the goal is to diminish intolerance “telling people they’re racist, sexist and xenophobic is going to get you exactly nowhere. It’s such a threatening message. One of the things we know from social psychology is when people feel threatened, they can’t change, they can’t listen.”

This has obvious implications for recent debates about civility. Incivility is central to Trump’s strategy – it helps him galvanize his supporters by reminding them how “bad” and “threatening” the other side is. Since this has become such a hot-button topic on the left, it is worth being clear what incivility is. There is no definition of democracy that does not accept peaceful protest and other forms of vociferous political engagement. Incivility is about form – not substance; it is consistently defined by scholars as including invective, ridicule, emotionality, histrionics and other forms of personal attacks or norm-defying behavior. By engaging in even superficially similar tactics, Democrats abet Trump’s ability to do this – as one Trump supporter put it, every time Democrats attack him “it makes me angry, which causes me to want to defend him more” – potentially alienate wavering Republican-leaning independents, and help divert debate from policies, corruption and other substantive issues.
In other words, there's a limit to how useful it is to call out someone for being a racist.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Zaune wrote: 2018-07-17 07:57pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-17 07:43pmI've said it before, but it bears repeating: there are effectively two parties in the US right now- Democrats, and Fascists.

Any idea if the actual number of registered Republicans has dropped at all?
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/republic
The percentage of Americans who consider themselves Republican or lean that way has dropped since Donald Trump was elected president, a Gallup poll found. Those identifying with the Democratic Party have held steady.

The percentage of people who identify as or lean Republican has fallen 5 percentage points from 42 percent on the population to 37 percent, according to the poll comparing November 2016 with November 2017, which was released last week. The percentage of voters identifying as Democrat has remained at 44 percent.

The lower numbers could be a cause for alarm for the GOP in midterm elections next year.
This is from the end of last year, and not specifically registered Republicans only, but its certainly suggestive. Also interesting is that the biggest drop for Republicans has been with white women- which potentially suggests that the Republican Party's misogyny is a costing them, and that confronting that misogyny (what some might call "identity politics" may be more likely to help than hurt the Democrats).

Quite a few voters have switched parties or gone from Republican to independent (though not as many as one might hope for). What's left are the worst of the worst. Unfortunately, about a third of the population tends to be complete morons and/or assholes.
Because as I understand the US political system, registering as an Independent proves only that you don't want part of your taxes going to either political party.
In some places, it also effects whether you can vote in party primaries. I originally switched from Democrat-leaning independent to registered Democrat for that very reason.
And why anyone thought having political party membership even remotely connected to the electoral register was a good idea I still have no bloody clue, by the way, much less the complete lack of control the parties themselves seem to have: In most countries there's at least a nominal screening process, and more importantly a process for expelling people for serious enough misconduct.
Technically, for the Democrats, the Super Delegates are supposed to be the "screening process".

It did not go over well in 2016, to put it mildly.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Ray, the problem with your position is that the central thrust of it seems to be, "The minute we present white, straight and vaguely Christian Americans with anything that takes them out of their comfort zone, they'll run away screaming and vote for literally anyone but the party talking about all these scary new ideas. Even if the alternative is an unrepentant fascist."

I think that you are painting with an extremely broad brush there, and giving the "generic guy/girl" demographic far too little credit. To say the least.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-17 08:15pmhttps://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/republic
The percentage of Americans who consider themselves Republican or lean that way has dropped since Donald Trump was elected president, a Gallup poll found. Those identifying with the Democratic Party have held steady.

The percentage of people who identify as or lean Republican has fallen 5 percentage points from 42 percent on the population to 37 percent, according to the poll comparing November 2016 with November 2017, which was released last week. The percentage of voters identifying as Democrat has remained at 44 percent.

The lower numbers could be a cause for alarm for the GOP in midterm elections next year.
This is from the end of last year, and not specifically registered Republicans only, but its certainly suggestive. Also interesting is that the biggest drop for Republicans has been with white women- which potentially suggests that the Republican Party's misogyny is a costing them, and that confronting that misogyny (what some might call "identity politics" may be more likely to help than hurt the Democrats).

Quite a few voters have switched parties or gone from Republican to independent (though not as many as one might hope for). What's left are the worst of the worst. Unfortunately, about a third of the population tends to be complete morons and/or assholes.

Oh good. I'll hold off on ordering a t-shirt with "Chatoyance Was Right" on it for now, then. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, ask a brony.)

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Actually, I'll add that the number of Republican-leaning people who have abandoned ship due to Trump is probably higher than that, as the poll I cited does not count those who left before November 2016 due to Trump's winning the nomination, nor any last few who found the line they weren't willing to cross in the last several months (which is when the children in cages hit the news).

Of course, there's no guarantee that some of them won't switch back, and none of it will matter if we can't turn out voters in large enough numbers to overcome gerrymandering, voter suppression laws, and whatever the fuck Russia does to us this time around with the full collaboration of our "President". Enthusiastic turnout has never been more important.

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Zaune wrote: 2018-07-17 08:33pm Ray, the problem with your position is that the central thrust of it seems to be, "The minute we present white, straight and vaguely Christian Americans with anything that takes them out of their comfort zone, they'll run away screaming and vote for literally anyone but the party talking about all these scary new ideas. Even if the alternative is an unrepentant fascist."

I think that you are painting with an extremely broad brush there, and giving the "generic guy/girl" demographic far too little credit. To say the least.
That seems to be the case based on some of the social sciences research cited in the article. I am not prepared to dismiss those research that easily.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-17 07:43pmBut winning over actual Republicans? Forget about it. Pretty much anyone who was going to abandon that ship has already done it by now. What's left is the fucking dregs, the committed neo-fascists and Cult of Trumpers and those who are willing to collaborate with them- the people who will stand by him right up to and past gas chambers, and the people I genuinely wouldn't want on my team even if they were the majority.
It's a good thing the US didn't take that attitude in 1946, when they were facing the task of de-nazifying two actual genocidal fascist states or there would be no modern Germany or Japan. I assume you would have made the countries open air prison camps or perhaps just nuked them out of frustration.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Starglider wrote: 2018-07-18 04:32amIt's a good thing the US didn't take that attitude in 1946, when they were facing the task of de-nazifying two actual genocidal fascist states or there would be no modern Germany or Japan. I assume you would have made the countries open air prison camps or perhaps just nuked them out of frustration.
Different situation: The original Nazis at least bothered to lie to ordinary Germans about most of the really ugly stuff right up until the end. Trump's tipped his hand on what he's willing to do without getting his man into the Supreme Court, much less done anything more than bluster a bit about the freedom of the press, so anyone still on his side can't plead ignorance.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

From what I can tell of the original article, the downside of identity politics is that it scares the conservative base enough to vote in decent numbers. I can follow that.

So maybe the question for me is why the same politics don't seem to produce more voters for the other side. I wonder if the Democrats will get to the point where they are more open about pondering "Group X is unpopular, and defending them costs more votes than it gains. Do we defend them?" I recall that was certainly the argument for locking up Chelsea Manning.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Gandalf wrote: 2018-07-18 05:12amI wonder if the Democrats will get to the point where they are more open about pondering "Group X is unpopular, and defending them costs more votes than it gains. Do we defend them?"
Generally speaking, identity politics is not about defending anyone. Equalitarian platforms of all types (anti-racist, anti-sexist etc) enjoyed steady success throughout the history of the United States; to date, setbacks have been minor and (relatively) temporary. Much if not most of this was achieved without 'identity politics' being the primary model for voter allegiance. It is essentially tribalism, in the emphasis of group membership and loyalty as the overwhelming factor in who one should vote for. It involves shattering the populace into discrete groups, with an approved alliance and overlap within which idelogical dogma is strictly enforced (at least, at the actvisit messaging level, controlling individuals is harder), and encouraged hatred of groups not within the alliance (TRR's daily hate of anyone identified or identifiable as a 'conservative' is completely in line with current liberal thought leader prescriptions). Identity politics does shares an undercurrent of zero-sum thinking with the radical fringe of former class-based organising, e.g. reparations and quotas rather than targetting equal opportunity. It is perhaps ironic that we are seeing this regression in the political paradigm of US culture at an all time high in minority rights & representation, but at a time several decades past peak economic equity. One might almost suspect that it suits wealthy elites to have it this way.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

As this forum's token member of the wealthy elite, even if I'm not sure you realise you qualify, I suppose you'd know...

But do you have any concrete examples of that sort of thing happening on a collective level with the Left, other than the near-universally reviled TERF lobby? Because "conservative" means different things to different people, but a lot of them could be forgiven for thinking it means "hasn't had a new idea since the Unix Epoch, considers anyone who has a dangerous subversive and believes that when empricially-proven reality and their deeply-held convictions come into conflict then it's reality that's got it wrong."

And equal opportunity is a bunch of wishful thinking if we don't narrow the wealth gap to the point where a small minority can't spend their way around any measure we in place to stop them gaming the system to their own advantage, if not wilfully sabotaging everyone else to cut out the competition.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Nicholas
Youngling

Post by Nicholas »

Gandalf wrote: 2018-07-18 05:12am From what I can tell of the original article, the downside of identity politics is that it scares the conservative base enough to vote in decent numbers. I can follow that.

So maybe the question for me is why the same politics don't seem to produce more voters for the other side. I wonder if the Democrats will get to the point where they are more open about pondering "Group X is unpopular, and defending them costs more votes than it gains. Do we defend them?" I recall that was certainly the argument for locking up Chelsea Manning.
As I understood the original article the downside of identity politics (by which I mean getting people to think of themselves as members of a hereditary subgroup of Americans and vote as members of that group) for the Left is that white Americans are beginning to follow it as well. When only non-whites were voting according to identity politics and were voting as a block for the Democrats it benefited the Left. But now whites are doing the same in significant numbers and voting in block for Republicans this is hurting Democrats.

The election of Trump is seen as an example of this because one factor that contributed to Clinton's loss appears to be white Americans who thought of themselves as "Americans" in 2008 and 2012 as voted for Obama because he would be the best President for all Americans. In 2016 though they thought of themselves as "white Americans" and voted for Trump because he would be the best President for white Americans. Favoring members of your tribe is human nature so one good way to advance goals related to human equality is to increase the number of people who think of their tribe as all humans.

The conclusion the author of the article draws from this is that if Democrats can get these voters thinking of themselves as "Americans" again they can win them back and that will help win the midterm elections. The author believes that the key to doing that is emphasizing the similarities instead of the differences between Americans.

TRRs debate with Ray245 continues to baffle me as to what its relationship to the article is because the article doesn't suggest that the Left change its policies the article suggests that the left should change its arguments.

Nicholas
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

This is why I'm asking if TRR even read the article.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Starglider wrote: 2018-07-18 04:32am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-17 07:43pmBut winning over actual Republicans? Forget about it. Pretty much anyone who was going to abandon that ship has already done it by now. What's left is the fucking dregs, the committed neo-fascists and Cult of Trumpers and those who are willing to collaborate with them- the people who will stand by him right up to and past gas chambers, and the people I genuinely wouldn't want on my team even if they were the majority.
It's a good thing the US didn't take that attitude in 1946, when they were facing the task of de-nazifying two actual genocidal fascist states or there would be no modern Germany or Japan. I assume you would have made the countries open air prison camps or perhaps just nuked them out of frustration.
When you start off your argument by suggesting that I would support genocide, I am disinclined to waste further words conversing with you.

Furthermore, you know damn well that this is a false equivalency. Helping to rebuild a beaten enemy, while requiring that they abandon their previous fascist and genocidal ideologies (and being in a position to back up those demands by force) is entirely different from continually compromising with a political faction that wields great power and is actively engaged in efforts to subvert the rule of law and establish an authoritarian puppet government.

The Nazis and Japanese Empire in 1946 were beaten, utterly. We could afford to be generous in victory. We also made some compromises we probably shouldn't have (like sheltering Nazi scientists in exchange for the research), but this is not at all like compromising with a fascism that is an active and growing threat.

Compromising with the Neo-fascists on racism now isn't being a magnanimous victory- its being an appeaser/collaborator.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Starglider wrote: 2018-07-18 07:40am(TRR's daily hate of anyone identified or identifiable as a 'conservative' is completely in line with current liberal thought leader prescriptions).
I have a problem with Nazis, fascists, and those who excuse, defend, collude, or collaborate with them. Boo fucking hoo.
Gandalf wrote: 2018-07-18 05:12am From what I can tell of the original article, the downside of identity politics is that it scares the conservative base enough to vote in decent numbers. I can follow that.

Essentially what ray seems to be arguing that they should do.

Personally, I think that he seems to have a well-intentioned but rather poor grasp on the political situation in the US beyond very broad strokes, that he is probably allowing his own prejudices to influence his judgment, and that he is being willfully ignorant of what the major criticisms and weaknesses of the Democrats actually are.
Nicholas wrote: 2018-07-18 09:30am

As I understood the original article the downside of identity politics (by which I mean getting people to think of themselves as members of a hereditary subgroup of Americans and vote as members of that group) for the Left is that white Americans are beginning to follow it as well. When only non-whites were voting according to identity politics and were voting as a block for the Democrats it benefited the Left. But now whites are doing the same in significant numbers and voting in block for Republicans this is hurting Democrats.
Note that "white Americans" and "the Left" are not two separate entities. There are, in fact, many liberal and progressive white Americans.

Moreover, the notion that voting based on membership in a hereditary group, and preference for the interests of that group, is something that the Left started and is only now beginning to be followed by whites is wrong. This is turning the truth on its head- that kind of politics was not invented by Left wing minorities (as many on the Right would have us believe): it has been a cornerstone of white Right wing politics since pretty much the founding of the country. Its just that when white conservatives employ this kind of identity politics, its often couched in terms like "tradition", "American/Christian values", and "protecting our heritage". Its only labeled "identity politics" (and therefore bad) when uppity minorities and women do it. For that matter, this sort of identity politics from conservative white people was pretty much the cause of the Civil War:
Confederate Vice President Alexander Stevens wrote:"The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the "storm came and the wind blew."

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone, rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.
http://teachingamericanhistory.org/libr ... ne-speech/

If anything, it is only recently that more persons on the Left have recently begun to adopt this point of view as well, likely out of understandable frustration at their prospects of ever attaining actual equality.
The election of Trump is seen as an example of this because one factor that contributed to Clinton's loss appears to be white Americans who thought of themselves as "Americans" in 2008 and 2012 as voted for Obama because he would be the best President for all Americans. In 2016 though they thought of themselves as "white Americans" and voted for Trump because he would be the best President for white Americans. Favoring members of your tribe is human nature so one good way to advance goals related to human equality is to increase the number of people who think of their tribe as all humans.
That may be, and I want to be clear: I am not suggesting that the Left/the Democrats should promote certain groups as superior to or more important than others (though I do feel that there is a place for affirmative action to redress pre-existing inequalities). I said as much in my first post in this thread.
The conclusion the author of the article draws from this is that if Democrats can get these voters thinking of themselves as "Americans" again they can win them back and that will help win the midterm elections. The author believes that the key to doing that is emphasizing the similarities instead of the differences between Americans.
That's a nice idea, but again, we're talking in the vicinity of 90% of Republicans approving of Trump's performance after he locked children in cages. We also have to contend with the fact that the Right has thoroughly indoctrinated its base going back decades, so that any argument we make is likely to be dismissed as liberal/terrorist/deep state propaganda. This is why I say that trying to win over the current generation of Republicans is largely a fools' errand. Focus on centrist independents who are anti-Trump, and on the Democratic base.

The approach you described may have some merit to winning over the younger generations before they convert to Trump-style Republicanism, but cannot be pursued at the expense of alienating our existing base.
TRRs debate with Ray245 continues to baffle me as to what its relationship to the article is because the article doesn't suggest that the Left change its policies the article suggests that the left should change its arguments.

Nicholas
ray245 wrote: 2018-07-18 01:32pm This is why I'm asking if TRR even read the article.
Skimmed it, then went back and read some sections in more detail later. If there is any particular part of the article that you feel I have misread, I'll be happy to address it.

I think the article probably makes some valid points about the danger of identifying demographic group (race/religion/etc. with political party), and that its claims about the supposed human tendency towards Right-wing tribalism are more modest and less sweeping than you made them out to be. I also think, however, that if white conservatives are triggered to engage in open bigotry by the mere fact that their race is no longer going to be a majority of the population, as the article appears to suggest, then there is likely little point in trying to appease them, as the only way to change that reality would be to sacrifice bedrock principles of a free society and effectively engage in ethnic cleansing. These are just some preliminary thoughts- I may post a more detailed analysis later.

But when I asked you to define what you mean by "identity politics", it was because what YOU mean by identity politics seems to keep changing. You have repeatedly appeared to argue that the Democrats should stop addressing racism and sexism and the concerns of minority groups as political issues- which is a matter of policy. This isn't an issue with what the article is saying, but rather that your interpretation of what is meant by "identity politics" appears to shift as convenient.

This is why I asked you to define clearly what YOU meant by identity politics before we procede further- a request I will now reiterate.

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Zaune wrote: 2018-07-17 07:57pm

Any idea if the actual number of registered Republicans has dropped at all? Because as I understand the US political system, registering as an Independent proves only that you don't want part of your taxes going to either political party.

In the US, registration doesn't mean anything, and tax dollars don't go to political parties. No one bothers to change their registration because in most states it has absolutely zero effect on anything. In some states only registered members can vote in primary elections, but besides that it does absolutely nothing.

Most people wouldn't even know how to change their party affiliation.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Zaune wrote: 2018-07-17 07:36pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-17 07:24pmHere's a fun fact from CNN last night: according to recent polling, Trump has, among Republicans, the highest approval rating of any Republican President in history. Higher than George W. Bush's approval rating the week after 9/11. This is post-locking children in cages, remember.
Are you fucking kidding me?
No. In fact, here is a tweet by a republican strategist explaining why the GOP keeps standing with Trump:
I’m furious R’s are cowardly about Trump. But here is what they say in private: 1.) Trump is a disgrace. 2.) I give fiery press conf tmmrw saying that. 3.) Nothing changes, Trump remains nuts and remains POTUS. 4.) A nut beats me in next primary. So how does my pol suicide help?
https://twitter.com/murphymike/status/1 ... 2246582272
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-18 10:15pm Skimmed it, then went back and read some sections in more detail later. If there is any particular part of the article that you feel I have misread, I'll be happy to address it.
I find that a lot of the confusion would be cleared up if you read the article in detail instead of letting the headline mislead you.
I think the article probably makes some valid points about the danger of identifying demographic group (race/religion/etc. with political party), and that its claims about the supposed human tendency towards Right-wing tribalism are more modest and less sweeping than you made them out to be. I also think, however, that if white conservatives are triggered to engage in open bigotry by the mere fact that their race is no longer going to be a majority of the population, as the article appears to suggest, then there is likely little point in trying to appease them, as the only way to change that reality would be to sacrifice bedrock principles of a free society and effectively engage in ethnic cleansing. These are just some preliminary thoughts- I may post a more detailed analysis later.
I think that's a slight misreading of the article's points.
But when I asked you to define what you mean by "identity politics", it was because what YOU mean by identity politics seems to keep changing. You have repeatedly appeared to argue that the Democrats should stop addressing racism and sexism and the concerns of minority groups as political issues- which is a matter of policy. This isn't an issue with what the article is saying, but rather that your interpretation of what is meant by "identity politics" appears to shift as convenient.

This is why I asked you to define clearly what YOU meant by identity politics before we procede further- a request I will now reiterate.
The whole issue would be addressed if you look at the article carefully. Because the way I see it, you're more interested in challenging my interpretation of "identity politics" rather than discussing what the article itself mean by "identity politics".

Identity politics as described in the article is basically political arguments/campaigns that focus on increased hostility towards people they disagreed with. The author of the article cited explicit examples of what she meant by identity politics as used by the left. She mentioned there's a limited effectiveness in regards to calling someone a racist, especially on people who don't see themselves as racist. In other words, you might lose supporters faster than you can gain new ones.

As much as doing the morally right thing is important, we might have to confront the reality of our society, that things don't work out the way we want them to be. Especially in the context of a society that's quite right-wing compared to many other European countries. You have to work with what you have essentially.
Nicholas
Youngling

Post by Nicholas »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-18 10:15pm
Nicholas wrote: 2018-07-18 09:30am

Note that "white Americans" and "the Left" are not two separate entities. There are, in fact, many liberal and progressive white Americans.

Moreover, the notion that voting based on membership in a hereditary group, and preference for the interests of that group, is something that the Left started and is only now beginning to be followed by whites is wrong. This is turning the truth on its head- that kind of politics was not invented by Left wing minorities (as many on the Right would have us believe): it has been a cornerstone of white Right wing politics since pretty much the founding of the country. Its just that when white conservatives employ this kind of identity politics, its often couched in terms like "tradition", "American/Christian values", and "protecting our heritage". Its only labeled "identity politics" (and therefore bad) when uppity minorities and women do it. For that matter, this sort of identity politics from conservative white people was pretty much the cause of the Civil War:
Confederate Vice President Alexander Stevens wrote:"The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the "storm came and the wind blew."

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone, rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.
http://teachingamericanhistory.org/libr ... ne-speech/

If anything, it is only recently that more persons on the Left have recently begun to adopt this point of view as well, likely out of understandable frustration at their prospects of ever attaining actual equality.
Absolutely true. It is the reality of Southern Whites voting in a block that has let them dominate politics in the US South since the end of Reconstruction to the present. It is that same pattern that produced the very conservative Southern Democrats of the 1880s to 1960s and which turned the South solidly Republican when the Democratic party began seriously advocating racial justice. This history suggests to me that white Americans nation wide beginning to think like Southern Whites have for centuries would not be good for the country.
That may be, and I want to be clear: I am not suggesting that the Left/the Democrats should promote certain groups as superior to or more important than others (though I do feel that there is a place for affirmative action to redress pre-existing inequalities). I said as much in my first post in this thread.
That's a nice idea, but again, we're talking in the vicinity of 90% of Republicans approving of Trump's performance after he locked children in cages. We also have to contend with the fact that the Right has thoroughly indoctrinated its base going back decades, so that any argument we make is likely to be dismissed as liberal/terrorist/deep state propaganda. This is why I say that trying to win over the current generation of Republicans is largely a fools' errand. Focus on centrist independents who are anti-Trump, and on the Democratic base.

The approach you described may have some merit to winning over the younger generations before they convert to Trump-style Republicanism, but cannot be pursued at the expense of alienating our existing base.
What do you believe is motivating the existing base? If the existing base is being motivated by being told the evil Republicans want to kill them all then there is no way to do what I want without alienating the exiting base. But I really hope that isn't the case because if it is then everything is going to be burned down. If, however, the existing base is being motivated by Democrats policy proposals then arguing for them based on them being good for all Americans should not alienate the base.

As for 90% of Republicans approving of Trump. I think you are being too pessimistic regarding that statistic. You have spoken about Trumps dehumanizing of immigrants as a sign of his fascism. If his supporters can be reminded that immigrants are human (which is true so it shouldn't be impossible to convince people of it) then they will abandon him and that number will melt away. The key point I take from the article and with which I agree is that scared people cannot be convinced of anything so arguments that imply either you are evil for wanting your children to have the same benefits that you received or we are going to hurt you are counterproductive when it comes to convincing people to abandon Trump.

Nicholas
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Nicholas wrote: 2018-07-19 09:34amAs for 90% of Republicans approving of Trump. I think you are being too pessimistic regarding that statistic. You have spoken about Trumps dehumanizing of immigrants as a sign of his fascism. If his supporters can be reminded that immigrants are human (which is true so it shouldn't be impossible to convince people of it)...
"Oh, you sweet summer child."
then they will abandon him and that number will melt away. The key point I take from the article and with which I agree is that scared people cannot be convinced of anything so arguments that imply either you are evil for wanting your children to have the same benefits that you received or we are going to hurt you are counterproductive when it comes to convincing people to abandon Trump.

Nicholas
The big problem is that Republican base voters no longer listen to sources of information or argumentation that might act as a vehicle for this process. People have been warning against this for decades, and it's finally come true. Since the 1990s, the rise of an independent news agency (FOX News), Republican talk radio, and now the right/alt-right sphere of blogs and social media, have created a situation in which Republican base voters feel entitled not only to their own unique opinions, but to their own unique facts.

This makes it very easy for them to simply dismiss anyone who disagrees with them as a liar, and to rely entirely on a small interlocking network of sources that all reinforce each other and dismiss contrary evidence or opinions. The people who believe this way only make up, oh, 20-30% of the country, but due to low voter turnout rates in the US they have a disproportionate effect on elections.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

As unfortunate as it is, I think that we're past the point where a lot of these people can be reached. All we can do is mobilize the sane people in the country to try to keep a lid on them until most of them die of old age.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Which then raises the question of how you get out that vote, and especially in swing states. It sure as hell didn't turn out in 2016.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin