Mass shooting at a newspaper office in Maryland.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Mass shooting at a newspaper office in Maryland.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mary ... SKBN1JO2Z1
(Reuters) - A gunman fired through a glass door at a newspaper in the Maryland capital of Annapolis and sprayed the newsroom with bullets on Thursday, killing at least four people and injuring several others, news reports said.

The suspect has been apprehended and not motive is known for the attack at the Capital Gazette newspaper, local news reports said.
Here we go again.

I hope that we will all refrain from any premature speculation as to motive.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Mass shooting at a newspaper office in Maryland.

Post by Tribble »

Or another words, Thursday afternoon in the USA.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Tribble wrote: 2018-06-28 04:35pm Or another words, Thursday afternoon in the USA.
Sometimes I feel like America is in a civil war right now- just one where there aren't really sides or armies, just an endless parade of nuts and assholes with easy access to guns.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-06-28 04:38pm
Tribble wrote: 2018-06-28 04:35pm Or another words, Thursday afternoon in the USA.
Sometimes I feel like America is in a civil war right now- just one where there aren't really sides or armies, just an endless parade of nuts and assholes with easy access to guns.
Oh, the USA is already in the midst of a civil war and has been for some time, but that's more of a discussion in the US poltics threads.

And for those trolls out there, obviosuly I think this is terrible and that it shouldn't happen. The sad thing is that tragedies like this can no longer be considered surprising as they occur way too often.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, not really. It feels that way, sometimes, but I'm well aware that a full-scale civil war would kill far more people, far more quickly.

But regardless, the fact that mass shootings have become routine is utterly horrifying if you stop to think about. Of course, lots of horrifying things are "routine". Children starving? That's routine. Sweat shops? Routine. Sexual harassment? Routine. Drunk driving accidents? Routine.

You have to keep reminding people, and reminding yourself, that "normal" is not the same thing as "okay", and that just because something is normal doesn't mean it has to, or should, stay normal.

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-06-28 05:16pm Well, not really. It feels that way, sometimes, but I'm well aware that a full-scale civil war would kill far more people, far more quickly.
Think of it as a cold war that hasn't gone hot yet and that's about where we are these days.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The Cold War seems in some ways a disturbingly apt analogy for American politics these days. Two sides facing off, neither willing to back down, both trying to intimidate/obstruct the other, any action to constrain the other side risks escalating the conflict, and if it ever goes "hot", everybody is fucked.

But there aren't really sides when it comes to mass shootings, a lot of the time. There are absolutely sides when it comes to deciding what we should do about it, but a lot (not all, but a lot) of these crimes aren't really ideologically motivated.

In a way, that's even more unsettling. We're killing each other en mass, and there isn't even a clear motive for a lot of it.

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I'll just leave this here.
Milo wants vigilantes to start killing journalists, and he's not being 'ironic'
June 27, 2018
David Neiwert

The far-right provocateur tells reporters he hopes angry conservatives start assassinating them, and the alt-right '14/88ers' love the idea.

Apparently, Milo Yiannopoulos didn’t get the memo about the need for civility in our discourse.

“I can’t wait for the vigilante squads to start gunning journalists down on sight,” the far-right provocateur texted a reporter for the New York Observer this week. When the reporter inquired further, Yiannopoulos explained that he had simply issued his “standard response to a request for a comment.”

But this wasn’t simply a toss-off remark. Yiannopoulos appears to be dead serious – that is, he sincerely believes that right-wing assassins should begin taking out targeted reporters. He’s been saying so on a number of forums, and it’s clear that he isn’t being simply “ironic” in the classic alt-right hall-of-mirrors fashion.

Yiannopoulos’ career has been in precipitous decline over the past year, following his sudden rise to media stardom as a leading figure in the alt-right, due largely to his influential role during the “Gamergate” controversy, then as an editor at Breitbart News. However, after an interview surfaced in February 2017 which he suggested sexual relations between adult men and young boys could be beneficial, he lost his sponsorship by the Mercer family, was dropped by his publisher, and resigned his position at Breitbart. Then in October, his close dalliances with white nationalists while at Breitbart (including an evening of karaoke with Richard Spencer) were exposed by Buzzfeed.

Since then, Yiannopoulos has tried to keep his career as an “alt-lite” pundit afloat through a number of ventures, even as his social media profile has risen and fallen. A speech in Arizona was shut down, ostensibly over death threats, causing his followers to plot revenge against his critics. He was also invited to speak to an audience of far-right anti-immigrant activists in Hungary in May 2018. He has spoken at a handful of campuses, including at Cal Poly in April, and also toured Australia in late 2017.

He’s also edged closer to making “ironic” signals in the direction of the racist alt-right, notably by donating $14.88 – an amount identical to the numbers used to signal the overt neo-Nazi faction of the alt-right – to a Jewish journalist who had pleaded for financial help in an online fundraiser.

His most recent venture has involved participating in a “soft coup” in his native England, a takeover of Nigel Farage’s floundering right-wing United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP) by members of the “alt-lite” brigade. Along with Infowars reporter Paul Joseph Watson, YouTube personality “Count Dankula” (real name: Mark Meechan), and Carl Benjamin, aka “Sargon of Akkad,” another YouTube personality, the faction wants to “Make Britain Great Again” by taking over the UKIP leadership and making the party a safe space for the like-minded.

When Guardian reporter Will Sommer asked Yiannopoulos about his decision to join UKIP, he responded by email that he “can’t wait for the vigilante squads to start gunning journalists down on sight!”

Since then, he has doubled down on his call for violence against journalists. On Instagram, he responded to a similar query from Mediaite reporter Amy Russo with a post that has since been removed.

“If journalists keep lying, deceiving and manipulating the public, then they will reap the same hatred they are sowing against Trump and his voters,” he wrote. “Truthfully I take no pleasure in the prospect; I’d rather beat you in a debate hall than a wrestling ring. But you did this to yourselves, and you deserve what’s coming.”

In a comment, he added: “Is it malevolence, or stupidity? Sometimes it can be hard to tell.”

Andrew Anglin, the neo-Nazi editor of the Daily Stormer, was especially pleased. He wrote that “killing journalists is an awesome position to promote,” and that doing so might successfully rebrand Yiannopoulos: “Now that is a sentiment I can get behind.”

Anglin noted that the idea may have come from a June 2017 Los Angeles Times piece quoting “comedian” Sam Hyde, who had contributed money to the Daily Stormer and explained it in a phone interview: “Don't worry so much about money. Worry about if people start deciding to kill reporters. That's a quote. … For the reason why, you can say I want reporters to know I make more money than them, especially Matt Pearce [the reporter on the piece].”

“Sam was cleverer, as MILO’s statement could be construed as a threat,” Anglin wrote. “But who cares? Definitely not my problem. And it’s funny.”

“Anyway, whatever – anyone calling for journalists to be killed is good,” he concluded.

Violence has accompanied Yiannopoulos at a number of steps in his career, notably during his 2016-2017 “Dangerous Faggot” speaking tour. At the University of Washington in Seattle on the night of January 20, 2017 – the evening of Donald Trump’s inauguration as president – a man involved in protests outside a Milo speech was shot by a couple of angry alt-right activists; they are both still awaiting trial. A speech in Berkeley shortly afterward was canceled due to threats of violence from both sides, provoking threats from Trump on his Twitter account. Yiannopoulos later vowed to organize a “free speech week” protest in Berkeley, but it later devolved into a single brief appearance by the provocateur in the college town.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Without making any assumptions about the motives of the shooter here:

WHY IS YIANNOPOULOS NOT IN JAIL?

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-06-28 08:20pmWithout making any assumptions about the motives of the shooter here:

WHY IS YIANNOPOULOS NOT IN JAIL?
Because he hasn't offered sufficiently specific guidance to make Conspiracy to Murder stick, presumably.

Anyway, speaking of the motives of the shooter, it looks like they weren't directly political. Ramos was arrested for stalking someone he went to school with and ultimately convicted of harassment, the Capital Gazette reported on the trial in a way that painted him in a very bad light, he lost a defamation lawsuit against them and has been holding a grudge ever since.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Which is the reason Yappi Dog is not locked up, because all sides on this, including law enforcrment are running with the "crazy lone wolf" narrative, thus no provable link between Yanniopoulos' words and Ramos' actions.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-06-29 10:20am Which is the reason Yappi Dog is not locked up, because all sides on this, including law enforcrment are running with the "crazy lone wolf" narrative, thus no provable link between Yanniopoulos' words and Ramos' actions.
Are you arguing that this "narrative" is false- that he was motivated by politics, and by Yiannopoulos's words? If so, on what evidence do you base that argument?

Please note before you respond with your usual vitriol that I am in no way defending either the shooter, who is a murderer and should rot in prison for the rest of his life, or Yiannopoulos, who in my view is a domestic terrorist.

Also, if anyone is interested in reading about the relevant laws and precedents:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-virg ... SKCN1AU2E0

Note that I am increasingly coming 'round to the view that the existing US definition of incitement of violence is too narrow, and should be broadened to allow for the arrest of people like Yiannopoulos, who persistently and publicly condone or promote the murder of their opponents.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

No, Rom, ffs. I'm merely stating that there is no provable link between Yannipoulos' words and Ramos' actions. That's it. No provable link. They're running with the crazed lone wolf narrative, because that is all they've got to run with, absent any evidence.

My opinion, on the other hand...is unsupported by evidence.
Rommie wrote:Note that I am increasingly coming 'round to the view that the existing US definition of incitement of violence is too narrow, and should be broadened to allow for the arrest of people like Yiannopoulos, who persistently and publicly condone or promote the murder of their opponents.
Yes, but how broad do you want to make the standard of evidence? If, for example, someone on this board say I should have the shit kicked out of me, and some random lurker tries to do just that, how do you determine the original poster's state of mind when he/She posted that, i.e., whether or no s/he was joking, or just venting, or whether we kissed and made up in PM or private email, etc.?

What do you consider middle ground, Rom?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Fuck Hannity.

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/thehill.c ... ting%3famp
It's so sad, that there are so many sick, demented and evil people in this world. It really is sad," Hannity continued. "You know, imagine you go to work and this is what you're dealing with today. Some crazy person comes in."

"And I'm not turning this into a gun debate, I know that's where the media will be in 30 seconds from now," Hannity said. "That's not it. You know, as I've always said, I mean honestly - I've been saying now for days that something horrible was going to happen because of the rhetoric," he said.

Hannity then mentioned Waters, who over the weekend said people should confront Trump administration officials in restaurants, service stations and shopping malls when they see them in public.

"Really Maxine?" he asked. "You want people to create - 'call your friends, get in their faces,' and Obama said that, too. 'Get in their faces, call them out, call your friends, get protesters, follow them into restaurants and shopping malls,' and wherever else she said."

During the show, Hannity also spoke with Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), a top Trump ally, who said he is involved with efforts to convince House leaders to censure Waters over her comments.

Later in the show, Hannity said he did not want to directly link the country's "incendiary rhetoric" to the shooting. "Things are getting way-way too hot and out of control," he said.
Where's your fucking humanity
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

BASICALLY (condensed from various posts elsewhere in other forums by other perople)
The crazy dude reconnected with a female high school classmate which turned into serious stalking.

A reporter with the newspaper wrote an article in a local newspaper about this.

He was brought up on criminal harassment charges and pleaded guilty.

Dude in question went full batshit crazy and started harassing the paper's staff, sued them for defamation and lost, went crazy about the judge, too.

Basically made a hit list on twitter, branding images with a sacrifice symbol.

Finally shot up the newspaper with a shottie.
Weapon in question:

http://www.businessinsider.com/capital- ... mos-2018-6

He used a legally bought 12 gauge pump action shottie; and did pre-attack prep -- he reportedly barricaded exits to the building, before entering from the front and supposedly at least one person was shot while trying to exit through a barricaded exit.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Honest question: What exactly do you have to do in the state of Maryland to fail a background check for a firearm purchase? Because even if he was let off relatively lightly, with probation and court-mandated psychiatric treatment, the guy had a recent conviction for harrassment and had just lost a rather expensive lawsuit directly related to said conviction.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

So this all goes back to "Insecure entitled shit couldn't get laid"?

So, basically another Incel in all but name?

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Zaune wrote: 2018-07-02 04:46am Honest question: What exactly do you have to do in the state of Maryland to fail a background check for a firearm purchase? Because even if he was let off relatively lightly, with probation and court-mandated psychiatric treatment, the guy had a recent conviction for harrassment and had just lost a rather expensive lawsuit directly related to said conviction.
In Maryland it's basically I believe

involuntary commitment to mental institution
felony conviction
misdemeanor conviction with possible imprisonment greater than two years <--- this is new and was added in the second to last round of gun control in MD as a "gotcha" to entrap people.

From what it sounds like his harassment conviction was MISD with less than 2 years possible so not in the system.

Looking him up on MD Case search, it looks like he had a temporary restraining order issued against him....in 2014, so even the new MD gun control "GVRO" fad passed in the last round of gun control here would have done jack and shit, unless you want to keep a restraining order in place for four years.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

MKSheppard wrote: 2018-07-04 09:10amLooking him up on MD Case search, it looks like he had a temporary restraining order issued against him....in 2014, so even the new MD gun control "GVRO" fad passed in the last round of gun control here would have done jack and shit, unless you want to keep a restraining order in place for four years.
I'm honestly surprised the restraining order was temporary. If I'd been on the receiving end of that sort of thing I'd be applying for a lifetime one if local law allowed it.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog