Jogger accidentally crosses US border from Canada and is held for two weeks

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Wow... Just wow. I mean, aren't Canada and USA kinda friends? This girl came from France (open borders within EU) and accidentally crossed the unmarked border to the USA a few meters while jogging, was approached by US border patrol and instead of them just telling her she now was in the US and to please turn around and jog right back, they detained her for two weeks while bureaucracy snailed along.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ion-ordeal
Teenager Cedella Roman was visiting from France
Evening run along beach led to two-week detention nightmare

It started as a leisurely jog along a Canadian beach on a cool spring evening. But it turned into a two-week nightmare after Cedella Roman accidentally veered across the US border and was seized by US border patrol agents.

The French citizen was visiting her mother and studying English, when the family headed to White Rock, about an hour’s drive from Vancouver in May.

As dusk approached, the 19-year-old went for a jog along the beach. She swerved on to a dirt path as the tide came in, stopping briefly to snap a photo of the stunning scenery before turning around to retrace her steps.

It was then that she was confronted by two officers from the US border patrol.

“An officer stopped me and started telling me I had crossed the border illegally,” Roman told Radio-Canada. “I told him I hadn’t done it on purpose, and that I didn’t understand what was happening.”

She hadn’t seen any signs marking the border, she said. “I said to myself, well I may have crossed the border but they’ll probably only give me a fine, or they’ll tell me to go back to Canada or they’ll give me a warning.”

Complicating matters was the fact that she didn’t have any government-issued ID or travel permits on her at the time.

Noting that her steps had been captured on security cameras monitoring the area, the officers detained the teenager and accused her of crossing illegally into Blaine, Washington.

She was transferred to the Tacoma Northwest Detention Centre, run by the Department of Homeland Security, more than 200km (125 miles) south of where she had been apprehended.

“They put me in the caged vehicles and brought me into their facility,” said Roman. “They asked me to remove all my personal belongings with my jewelry. They searched me everywhere.”

The gravity of the situation began to sink in. “I understood it was getting very serious and I started to cry a bit.”

Roman was able to contact her mother from the centre. Christiane Ferne rushed to the facility in a panic, bringing with her Roman’s passport and study permits.

It wasn’t enough; staff at the centre said the documents would have to be validated by immigration authorities in Canada before they could release Roman, according to Ferne.

Two weeks passed before immigration officials in Canada and the US were able to confirm that Roman was eligible to return to Canada. Throughout it all, Ferne visited her daughter regularly at the centre.

“It was just unfair that there was nothing, no sign at the border,” said Ferne. “It’s like a trap … anybody can be caught at the border like this.”

Documents issued by the US government and shared with Radio-Canada confirmed that Roman was discharged on 6 June. The family said they were not sure if Roman will be allowed back in the US.

Immigration officials on both sides of the nearly 9,000km border refused to comment on Roman’s case, pointing to concerns over privacy.

In a statement, US Customs and Border Protection noted that anyone who enters the US outside an official port of entry is considered to have crossed the border illegally. “This applies regardless of whether or not the individual claims to have inadvertently crossed the border,” the department added.
OK, I'm not sure exactly where she was jogging, but I snapped a picture of the border at the place from Google Earth:

Imagine jogging, and you need to pee. You decide to go a bit behind the bushes at the side of the road. The road is in Canada, but if you use the bushes at the wrong side of the road, you're suddenly an illegal alien in the US.

Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: Jogger accidentally crosses US border from Canada and is held for two weeks

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

So, piss on America.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Another reason why immigration and border guards are almost always the worst type of bureaucrats. Self important little men who hold a lot of power over others.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

The Infidel wrote: Wow... Just wow. I mean, aren't Canada and USA kinda friends?
Under the Trump Administration Canada and the US are not friends. Trump has made it pretty clear that he views Canada as little more than a competitor screwing America over. Not to mention a national security risk. So ya, while the majority of American and Canadian people could still be considered friends (for now) the same is not true of their governments. I wouldn't be surprised if the far-right keep whipping themselves into a frenzy and one day decide to invade good ol' Soviet Canuckistan over whatever pretext they come up with.

Given that US border guards don't seem to mind throwing children into concentration camps, I guess she should count herself lucky that they eventually let her go.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Under any American administration, Canada has just been more real estate to annex in the name of Manifest Destiny, even if they have to stoop to Irish and metis mercenaries in the process.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

Tribble wrote: 2018-06-24 01:46pmI wouldn't be surprised if the far-right keep whipping themselves into a frenzy and one day decide to invade good ol' Soviet Canuckistan over whatever pretext they come up with.
I can't tell if you're joking or not. Regardless, the far-wrong could very well self-destruct before they start a war with Canada.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-06-24 02:51pm Under any American administration, Canada has just been more real estate to annex in the name of Manifest Destiny, even if they have to stoop to Irish and metis mercenaries in the process.
You know, I'm getting really sick of these self-indulgent cynicism-fests of yours'. Yeah yeah, America is the epitome of pure evil, down to the last baby, always has been and always will be. Nothing has ever changed, or ever will. Only, saying that again and again in different ways is objectively false, and accomplishes absolutely nothing. Fact is, things haven't always been the way they are now. They've never been perfect, they've never been particularly good, but I sure as hell know that the US did not view Canada as 'real estate to annex" five years ago, or ten years ago, or twenty years ago.

Treating the US as an unchanging and unchangeable monolith not only ignores the progress that has been made over the past 150 years, it also minimizes the damage Trump is doing now by pretending that its how things have always been- effectively normalizing it. And thereby makes things harder for those of us who are actually trying to address America's problems in a meaningful way. No, America does not equal Trumpism, Trumpism does not equal America, and we should not forget that fact, or pretend that this is the way its always been. All that ultimately is, is an excuse not to care, and not to act.

I fully expect another tirade of abuse directed at me for saying this, but screw it, it needs to be said.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Widdle Baby Rommie wrote: 2018-06-25 08:30pm
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-06-24 02:51pm Under any American administration, Canada has just been more real estate to annex in the name of Manifest Destiny, even if they have to stoop to Irish and metis mercenaries in the process.
Wah, wah, wah, I'm a poopy widdle baby who wants to double down on American Exceptionalist dogma, instead of being a grownup, and facing reality.
Not my problem if you can't face reality. Simply don't reply to my posts. Or fuck off, and die.

Choice is yours.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Wait, US Presidents are still Manifest Destinying?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Yeah, I'd like to know when we last tried to invade Canada since the War of 1812.
HortonX25
Redshirt

Post by HortonX25 »

*shrugs*

Incidents like this are bad and imply that we need better people as border guards.

I'm not sure if their can be linked to Trump, but is likely the case of an idiot being an idiot. I suppose we can say he's inspired people like this, but I'd require more evidence first.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

HortonX25 wrote: 2018-06-26 06:57am *shrugs*

Incidents like this are bad and imply that we need better people as border guards.

I'm not sure if their can be linked to Trump, but is likely the case of an idiot being an idiot. I suppose we can say he's inspired people like this, but I'd require more evidence first.
Charlottesville is all the evidence I need that Trump has normalized and condoned shitty behavior.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Have you guys seen any pictures of this jogger? I think the color of her skin probably played a pretty major role in her being detained. I would bet if it had been a white man on this jog, they would have been a lot more understanding.
HortonX25
Redshirt

Post by HortonX25 »

houser2112 wrote: 2018-06-26 08:10am

Charlottesville is all the evidence I need that Trump has normalized and condoned shitty behavior.
I'm aware, I'm talking in this case.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2018-06-26 08:15am Have you guys seen any pictures of this jogger? I think the color of her skin probably played a pretty major role in her being detained. I would bet if it had been a white man on this jog, they would have been a lot more understanding.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4717060
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, he has directly inflamed tensions with the one country who's friendship with the US should be unquestionable, and his admin. has been beating the drum about Canadian smugglers and terroists recently.

Hell, I remember a time when you could cross the US/Canada border without a passport, though that changed before Trump (post-9/11, I believe).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gandalf wrote: 2018-06-26 02:25am Wait, US Presidents are still Manifest Destinying?
No, they're not. Wouldn't put it past Trump to bring back the tradition eventually, but they haven't for a long time. U.P. Cinnabar is just trolling.

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-06-26 12:08am
Wah, wah, wah, I'm a poopy widdle baby who wants to double down on American Exceptionalist dogma, instead of being a grownup, and facing reality.
Not my problem if you can't face reality. Simply don't reply to my posts. Or fuck off, and die.

Choice is yours.
EVERYONE, please look at the post quoted above as a guideline for what NOT to do.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-06-26 02:43pm Hell, I remember a time when you could cross the US/Canada border without a passport, though that changed before Trump (post-9/11, I believe).
You remember correctly.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Broomstick wrote: 2018-06-26 05:39pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-06-26 02:43pm Hell, I remember a time when you could cross the US/Canada border without a passport, though that changed before Trump (post-9/11, I believe).
You remember correctly.
Ya, I remember when they used to let people (kids especially) into the cockpit during flight to have a look. Different times.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Its a shame that our policies are dominated by cowards who value the illusion of security over liberty or human decency.

You know, I wonder what would happen if, say, a thousand Canadians decided to walk across the border in protest. Or better yet, if a few thousand people from both sides of the border decided to hold a summer barbecue right on the 49th. parallel.

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-06-26 12:08am

Choice is yours.
How do you manage to keep your head so far up your own ass, yet still manage to breathe? I mean, I can understand you being a pathetic, mewling tryhard, holding getting on the radar of a forum mod as one of your life goals, but lately you've really been slacking on the "retarded troll" attempts. I'd say you need to go back to /pol, but even those drolling fuckballs are way out of your league at this point.

I recommend some time off from the forums. Perhaps even a flying leap. Though more probable is you crying to your mother, philosophy 101 professor, or both about someone being mean to you on the internet.

On topic, I'm in not way surprised by bullshit like this anymore. If anything, the poor girl should be relieved that she wasn't beaten and gang raped by Cheeto Chimps gestapo wannabes before being shot for crying too much and making the Defenders of Uhmurrican FREEDUM fear for their worthless lives.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Eulogy wrote: 2018-06-24 09:34pm
Tribble wrote: 2018-06-24 01:46pmI wouldn't be surprised if the far-right keep whipping themselves into a frenzy and one day decide to invade good ol' Soviet Canuckistan over whatever pretext they come up with.
I can't tell if you're joking or not. Regardless, the far-wrong could very well self-destruct before they start a war with Canada.
I don't know if he's joking, but I'm not. A war between Canada and the US should be laughable, unthinkable. No two countries have been closer. There are literally millions of Americans living in Canada, or vice versa. Our economies are so closely intertwined that conflict is basically economic MAD. Our militaries closely coordinate.

But... we have a "President" who is more friendly to Putin and Kim Jong Un than to NATO, and who is doing his best to sow conflict with Canada by portraying it as a national security threat. I don't think that anything is unthinkable, at this point.

HortonX25
Redshirt

Post by HortonX25 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-06-26 03:00pm
Gandalf wrote: 2018-06-26 02:25am Wait, US Presidents are still Manifest Destinying?
No, they're not. Wouldn't put it past Trump to bring back the tradition eventually, but they haven't for a long time. U.P. Cinnabar is just trolling.
...Which implies a level of competence from Trump and adminstration that is frankly beyond him.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

HortonX25 wrote: 2018-06-27 06:18am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-06-26 03:00pm
...Which implies a level of competence from Trump and adminstration that is frankly beyond him.
I didn't say it would be a competently executed invasion. :wink: