Jogger accidentally crosses US border from Canada and is held for two weeks

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Jogger accidentally crosses US border from Canada and is held for two weeks

Post by Simon_Jester »

Gandalf wrote: 2018-06-26 02:25amWait, US Presidents are still Manifest Destinying?
Not in the 19th century sense, no, but some people like to make shit up because calling the US Mordor, and saying it has always been Mordor, is so satisfying.
FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-06-26 05:20amYeah, I'd like to know when we last tried to invade Canada since the War of 1812.
There were the Fenian raids, featuring an involuted tangle of Irish independence politics, Anglo-Canadian politics, and American politics, in the 1860s and '70s, but the US authorities actively opposed and acted to suppress the raids, which U.P. Cinnabar is conveniently overlooking for the sake of the 'America is and has always been Mordor' narrative.
HortonX25 wrote: 2018-06-26 06:57am*shrugs*

Incidents like this are bad and imply that we need better people as border guards.

I'm not sure if their can be linked to Trump, but is likely the case of an idiot being an idiot. I suppose we can say he's inspired people like this, but I'd require more evidence first.
Suffice to say that Trump has made incidents like this more likely in the same sense that global warming makes devastating super-hurricanes more likely. There were huge, destructive hurricanes before the Earth's climate began to warm from human activity, so you can't necessarily point to any one storm and say "this is how global warming made it worse." But the math is pretty clear that such incidents are now more common, and each individual one is more destructive.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov