"Child Migrant camps Not Nazi-style"

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

"Child Migrant camps Not Nazi-style"

Post by LadyTevar »

BCC News wrote: LINK
Sessions: Child migrant camps 'not like Nazi concentration camps'
US Attorney General Jeff Sessions has rejected claims US holding centres for child migrants separated from parents are like Nazi concentration camps.

America's top law official told Fox News the "zero tolerance" policy was about enforcing border security.

President Donald Trump is meeting Republican lawmakers later to discuss a bill that proposes to end the policy.

US immigration officials say 2,342 children have been separated from 2,206 parents from 5 May to 9 June.
Mr Sessions was asked in Monday night's interview on Fox News about a tweet by former CIA Director Michael Hayden likening what happened at Auschwitz concentration camp, where millions of Jews and other minorities were killed, to the separation of undocumented immigrant families at the US border.

The Department of Justice chief said: "Well, it's a real exaggeration, of course.

"In Nazi Germany, they were keeping the Jews from leaving the country."

Mr Sessions said: "Fundamentally, we are enforcing the law. Hopefully people will get the message and not break across the border unlawfully."

Fox News hosts Laura Ingraham said the detention centres were "essentially summer camps" for migrant children.

US First Lady Melania Trump and four of her predecessors are among critics of the policy.

Laura Bush said the detention centres reminded her of internment camps where Japanese-Americans were held during the Second World War.

What is the policy?
Under the "zero-tolerance" crackdown that the Trump administration rolled out in May, all border crossers - including first-time offenders - are criminally charged and jailed pending a court appearance.

Migrant children are not permitted to be incarcerated with their parents, and are kept in separate facilities maintained by the Department of Health and Human Services.

Under previous US administrations, undocumented immigrants caught crossing the border for the first time tended to be issued with court summons for a later date.

But the Trump administration says that approach amounted to "catch and release" because many of the migrants never showed up to court.
The Trump administration has been disputing the terminology used to describe its immigration crackdown.

The Department of Homeland Security has framed it as an "initiative" rather than "a policy".

It characterises the holding centres where children have been pictured behind metal chain-link enclosures as "shelters" instead of "cages".

Dictionary.com has reported a 279% increase in people searching for the word "cage" over the last day or so.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: "Child Migrant camps Not Nazi-style"

Post by TheFeniX »

Fox News hosts Laura Ingraham said the detention centres were "essentially summer camps" for migrant children.
The comical amount of horrific nonsense Fox News, Laura herself being a big provider of it, .... I don't know WHY it still amazes me. The shining moment was of course that one "waterboarding is not torture" handjob who, not restrained at all, lasted about 2 milliseconds being waterboarded (they dropped like... less than an ounce on him) before he DOVE off the board. And he still wouldn't give that it was torture.

Really the more amazing part is that anyone can describe Fox News as anything more than a conservative shilling channel. I mean, I GET why shithead conservatives can do that, but it doesn't make their delusional denials of partisanship any less mind-boggling.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

You know, when you have to come out and explicitly say "Don't worry guys, our concentration camps for children aren't like the ones the Nazis made"... you have a pretty big problem regardless.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

LadyTevar wrote: 2018-06-19 12:43pmSessions: Child migrant camps 'not like Nazi concentration camps'
Because they haven't finished installing the ovens yet is how that sentence ends.
HortonX25
Redshirt

Post by HortonX25 »

Does this mean much?

One can be terrible with it being less bad then the Nazis. As the Nazis were the absolute worse.

I mean, pick the Nazis or Idi Amin, Idi Amin was arguably not as bad as the Nazis, but he was still fucking terrible.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

HortonX25 wrote: 2018-06-20 11:39am Does this mean much?

One can be terrible with it being less bad then the Nazis. As the Nazis were the absolute worse.

I mean, pick the Nazis or Idi Amin, Idi Amin was arguably not as bad as the Nazis, but he was still fucking terrible.
The point is that the U.S. government is currently engaged in activities which are being compared to the goddamn Nazis.

When the Nazis are a point of comparison.... that is NOT A GOOD THING. Period. (Unless it's a complete-opposites comparison. Like, I dunno, 'look at that nice government, they built a synagogue for the Jewish neighborhood, how not like the Nazis'. But that doesn't really happen. Because the Nazis really are that terrible.)
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
HortonX25
Redshirt

Post by HortonX25 »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-06-20 12:00pm
HortonX25 wrote: 2018-06-20 11:39am Does this mean much?

The point is that the U.S. government is currently engaged in activities which are being compared to the goddamn Nazis.

When the Nazis are a point of comparison.... that is NOT A GOOD THING. Period. (Unless it's a complete-opposites comparison. Like, I dunno, 'look at that nice government, they built a synagogue for the Jewish neighborhood, how not like the Nazis'. But that doesn't really happen. Because the Nazis really are that terrible.)
I agree, what I'm arguing is exactly that here.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Civil War Man wrote: 2018-06-20 09:21am
LadyTevar wrote: 2018-06-19 12:43pmSessions: Child migrant camps 'not like Nazi concentration camps'
Because they haven't finished installing the ovens yet is how that sentence ends.
Because they weren't run by private corporations.

They just made the gas and profited from their misery.

Hail, hail Hailstone.

Woohoo...
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

TheFeniX wrote: 2018-06-19 01:20pm
The comical amount of horrific nonsense Fox News, Laura herself being a big provider of it, .... I don't know WHY it still amazes me. The shining moment was of course that one "waterboarding is not torture" handjob who, not restrained at all, lasted about 2 milliseconds being waterboarded (they dropped like... less than an ounce on him) before he DOVE off the board. And he still wouldn't give that it was torture.

Really the more amazing part is that anyone can describe Fox News as anything more than a conservative shilling channel. I mean, I GET why shithead conservatives can do that, but it doesn't make their delusional denials of partisanship any less mind-boggling.
This is the same Laura Ingraham who used to write for Dartmouth Review, a neo-Nazi student paper, back in the 80s.

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Civil War Man wrote: 2018-06-20 09:21am
Lucien Truscott IV, whose grandfather was famous for being a general who led armies to fight the Nazis, nails it:

Salon
When Trump adopted Miller’s policy, instead of processing undocumented immigrants as asylum seekers, Attorney General Jeff Sessions ordered them arrested for the “crime” of crossing into the United States illegally. This “crime” is actually a misdemeanor, equivalent to violating laws against jaywalking. In fact, this is the only policy in existence in the United States of ordering wholesale arrest, incarceration before trial, and prosecution of misdemeanor offenders. If you commit the misdemeanor offense of possessing a joint in hundreds of jurisdictions around this country, you will not be incarcerated before trial, you will not be herded into cages in a retired Walmart somewhere, you will not be issued a sleeping pad and a goddamned mylar “blanket,” you will not be denied a pillow for your head, and you will not be fed prison food, and you will not be allowed outside into sunshine and fresh air only once a day for two hours.

Instead, you will be issued a summons and sent on your way.

But not if you are a brown person crossing our southern border without documentation. Down there in McAllen, Texas, and elsewhere, you will be treated the way the Nazis treated Jews and homosexuals and “undesirables” and political opponents. You will be transported to an American concentration camp. If you are a husband and wife, you will be separated. If you are a child, you will be separated from your mother and father. If you are a brother, you will be separated from your sister.
HortonX25
Redshirt

Post by HortonX25 »

Sessions himself actually has a history of racism, though I'm sure you're all aware, anything done by him needs looking at with extreme scrutiny simply for that reason alone.

There was a time in which under Reagan he got denied and barred from being a Federal Judge due to allegations of such racism. meaning he was likely too extreme for the GOP back then.

This is of course under a Republican administration that is quite blatantly racist, in the sheer amount of nativist and nationalist rhetoric their candidate pumped out and inspired and I would consider such things as being racist. As nationalism is often after all regarding people of your "group" as being better then the other group and more worth helping, which I cannot help but find bigoted.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

The rat-faced nativist pigfucker probably thinks the internment camps for citizens of Asian descent were something laudable. I wouldn't put it past the subhuman shit, or the worthless scum that voted its kind into office.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Sessions ought to stand trial for crimes against humanity, along with Trump and the DHS director.

Of course, for that to happen, the US would have to either undergo a major political transformation, or suffer a crushing military defeat.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Remember folks, those aren't cages -they're Steel Playpens!

Maxine Waters is right: There needs to be a Cold Shoulder campaign against these scumbags like the ones on Nazi-occupied Norway and Denmark, combined with heckling, civil disobedience -the works. Fuck this Nazi scum.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

At this point, I would consider pretty much any actions short of violence/threats/felonies justified to stop these fuckers. It makes me sick to hear even some people on the Left complaining about how we should be civil to the people who lock children in cages. Oh, Sarah Hickabee Sanders couldn't eat in a nice restaurant! We ought to be more respectful to the Nazis. Cry me a fucking river.

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Serious question for you, what sorts of 'actions' that aren't normally allowable does that statement of yours greenlight? It starts off massively broad (any action) and then narrows down to what reads to me as near-nonexistent (except anything including particularly harsh language). I guess I'm not seeing what you're trying to say here.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
HortonX25
Redshirt

Post by HortonX25 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-06-26 10:02pm At this point, I would consider pretty much any actions short of violence/threats/felonies justified to stop these fuckers. It makes me sick to hear even some people on the Left complaining about how we should be civil to the people who lock children in cages. Oh, Sarah Hickabee Sanders couldn't eat in a nice restaurant! We ought to be more respectful to the Nazis. Cry me a fucking river.
The solution is called going out and voting for people that have a chance of actually winning the election and to NOT allow primary civil wars to destroy unity in the main election. The GOP understand that in 2016, the Dems really didn't and lost due to it.

That being said, if you want a more possible solution, go and contact politicians in your area and advise them to push against this, campaign for the Democrats, convince friends or family to vote for the Dems come next election, donate to the Dem Party, etc.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

HortonX25 wrote: 2018-06-27 06:25am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-06-26 10:02pm At this point, I would consider pretty much any actions short of violence/threats/felonies justified to stop these fuckers. It makes me sick to hear even some people on the Left complaining about how we should be civil to the people who lock children in cages. Oh, Sarah Hickabee Sanders couldn't eat in a nice restaurant! We ought to be more respectful to the Nazis. Cry me a fucking river.
The solution is called going out and voting for people that have a chance of actually winning the election and to NOT allow primary civil wars to destroy unity in the main election.
I agree, as long as you don't mean "there should be no primary challenges period".
The GOP understand that in 2016, the Dems really didn't and lost due to it.
The Democrats lost due to many factors, including Russian interference, the Clinton email investigation and Comey reopening it right before the election (which was an outgrowth of the Anthony Weiner investigation*) a poor choice of Presidential candidate, an "anti-establishment" backlash, campaign blunders, voter suppression laws and gerrymandering, and the Electoral College, and, yes, a divisive primary. Blaming it on any single factor is over-simplistic.
That being said, if you want a more possible solution, go and contact politicians in your area and advise them to push against this, campaign for the Democrats, convince friends or family to vote for the Dems come next election, donate to the Dem Party, etc.
This too.

*What does it say about American politics that you can make the argument that an ex-Congressman's dick made Trump President, and Trump's dick (and his actions with it reg. Stormy Daniels) may very well help sink him? He who lives by the cock dies by the cock, I guess. :)