POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

User avatar
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder
Posts: 4750
Joined: 2003-06-26 04:24pm
Location: Texas

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by TheFeniX » 2019-05-08 05:45pm

The Infidel wrote:
2019-05-08 05:37pm
Wait, Trump & co said this? The same guys who obstructed Obama at every turn? The same party that let an adulterer with a bastard child investigate a BJ to that extent that Iran defended Clinton in the UN? (I remember seing it on TV, but can't find the clip now.)
I don't even use Twitter but articles show up in my news feed that posts excerpts from Trump and his cronies in the Senate who are tweeting shit like "Dems stole 2 years of our presidency with this investigation and stone-walling us in Congress." You think they're going to take responsibility for being so inept for 2 years when controlling 2 branches of govt and not getting anything done?

Since when has blatant hypocrisy stopped anyone in politics? The entirety of the Trump admin is "we're having the same shit done to us we did to Obama! So unfair!"

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19098
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-05-09 03:19pm

The Infidel wrote:
2019-05-08 11:13am
TRR: Do people actually say that democrats ruined the two first years of Trumps presidency without remembering that the repubs had both houses that time? How ... interesting...
Yeah. They do. Worse, they are using that to start floating the idea of extending Trump's term limits, with Trump himself retweeting a proposal that he deserves two additional years recently.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver: https://youtube.com/watch?v=zxT8CM8XntA

User avatar
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10888
Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by Crazedwraith » 2019-05-13 10:25am

I have no idea what the 'at least we voted with our conscience' one means.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

User avatar
Jub
Sith Marauder
Posts: 3602
Joined: 2012-08-06 07:58pm
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by Jub » 2019-05-13 10:28am

I have no idea how implying that MAGA supporters have small dicks relates to politics either.

User avatar
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter
Posts: 6763
Joined: 2005-11-24 09:35am
Location: One Mile Up

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by Raw Shark » 2019-05-13 11:34am

Crazedwraith wrote:
2019-05-13 10:25am
I have no idea what the 'at least we voted with our conscience' one means.
I think it's meant as a jab at voters with perceived culpability for oppressive right-wing regimes due to behavior that exhibits more idealism than pragmatism at the polls and their luxury of observing the consequences of their actions for minorities from behind the insulation of white privilege.
Jub wrote:
2019-05-13 10:28am
I have no idea how implying that MAGA supporters have small dicks relates to politics either.
IMHO it's an attempt to portray the typical MAGA hat-wearing dude as somebody who glorifies and tries to project a certain version of idealized masculinity that he himself cannot personally live up to.

~~~~~

But, y'know, if you have to explain the joke...

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker

User avatar
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 5829
Joined: 2008-03-14 07:47am

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by madd0ct0r » 2019-05-13 12:54pm

Crazedwraith wrote:
2019-05-13 10:25am
I have no idea what the 'at least we voted with our conscience' one means.
I got the opposite reading. To me its says That people who use the excuse they voted to absolve themselves of all responsibility when faced with a regime doing bad things, are still guilty through negligence and inactivity.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee

User avatar
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 7459
Joined: 2002-10-30 06:40pm
Location: In a dark reflection of a better world

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by FaxModem1 » 2019-05-13 01:06pm

I think it's a dig on those who vote Green Party over voting the mainstream candidate, at the cost of losing the election. IE, Bernie or Busters, those who will vote Green, or not vote at all, allowing more Trump in office.
Image

User avatar
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
Posts: 22543
Joined: 2002-07-03 06:16pm
Location: New York, the Fuck You State
Contact:

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by Dalton » 2019-05-13 02:14pm

Let's keep the political cartoons to actual political cartoons and not shitty memes.
Image
Image
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19098
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-05-13 07:50pm

FaxModem1 wrote:
2019-05-13 01:06pm
I think it's a dig on those who vote Green Party over voting the mainstream candidate, at the cost of losing the election. IE, Bernie or Busters, those who will vote Green, or not vote at all, allowing more Trump in office.
Yep, that's pretty much how I took it. Its a jab at the (mostly privileged white) self-styled progressives who voted third party or whatever because "Both Sides" or "I don't want to vote for the lesser evil", and then patted themselves on the back for their "principles" after throwing every woman, minority, and poor person in America (or the world, for that matter, since America's actions have global effects) under the bus because they didn't get their way.

You know, the same people who are lining up to do the same thing all over again if Biden this time.
Jub wrote:
2019-05-13 10:28am
I have no idea how implying that MAGA supporters have small dicks relates to politics either.
It's a cheap shot, I'll admit, but I take it as a reference to the fact that a lot of Trump supporters are incel types who are pretty clearly motivated by insecurities about their masculinity/resentment of women.
Dalton wrote:
2019-05-13 02:14pm
Let's keep the political cartoons to actual political cartoons and not shitty memes.
Is this directed at me? And if so, then with all due respect, what qualifies my posts as just "shitty memes" as opposed to political cartoons? Where is the line drawn? Because that could very easily be read as "Don't post cartoons with a message I disagree with/think isn't valid."
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver: https://youtube.com/watch?v=zxT8CM8XntA

User avatar
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony
Posts: 22138
Joined: 2002-07-04 08:36am

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by Mr Bean » 2019-05-13 09:17pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-05-13 07:50pm

Dalton wrote:
2019-05-13 02:14pm
Let's keep the political cartoons to actual political cartoons and not shitty memes.
Is this directed at me? And if so, then with all due respect, what qualifies my posts as just "shitty memes" as opposed to political cartoons? Where is the line drawn? Because that could very easily be read as "Don't post cartoons with a message I disagree with/think isn't valid."
Here's a crazy idea, what political policy is behind small penises? Is it pro or anti free trade with Slovakia? Or does it support background checks on assault rifles, or is it making a point about economic policy.

Or is it just a insult meme towards a voting group?

Here I can find one in thirty seconds that's a low effort meme which at least makes a point
Image

I'd not consider this a political cartoon even if it is political it's just a meme, you know a repurposed image with text slapped over top of it. Political cartoons are cartoons or other drawings that make some sort of political statement or do you consider Penis size a political statement? How many inches is being pro life worth compared to anti-abortion? Can you tell me the John Thomas size of someone who believes in supply side economics verses state run capitalism?

What's the shaft size of a Dutch christian reform voter?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19098
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-05-13 09:19pm

I explained the relevance to Alt. Reich ideology as I see it in my previous post.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver: https://youtube.com/watch?v=zxT8CM8XntA

User avatar
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony
Posts: 22138
Joined: 2002-07-04 08:36am

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by Mr Bean » 2019-05-13 09:29pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-05-13 09:19pm
I explained the relevance to Alt. Reich ideology as I see it in my previous post.
Still waiting to hear about the penis sizes, come on man we need numbers, your posting meme's saying small equals alt-right supporting, so are Republican women's penises equal small or are they larger, now you've brought size measurements into this you need to follow it all the way.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 19098
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2019-05-14 01:16am

Now you're just trolling. Small dicks is symbolic (well, except when it isn't) for the Alt. Reich being motivated by male insecurity and resentment of women. As I already explained. At any rate, that's my interpretation and I'm standing by it.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver: https://youtube.com/watch?v=zxT8CM8XntA

User avatar
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony
Posts: 22138
Joined: 2002-07-04 08:36am

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by Mr Bean » 2019-05-14 07:32am

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2019-05-14 01:16am
Now you're just trolling. Small dicks is symbolic (well, except when it isn't) for the Alt. Reich being motivated by male insecurity and resentment of women. As I already explained. At any rate, that's my interpretation and I'm standing by it.
No sir I'm very serious because I'm taking YOU seriously because you have post a low effort meme indicating MAGA Hat wearing indicates penis size which is a fascinating point if true (As opposed to a low effort insult directed at a group of America voters) because you've made a very unique argument and I'm asking you to expand on it, if you really believe that Small dicks is symbolic for the Alt then who gets the big dicks? Who get's the average sized dicks? Who are the dickless? Because you've made a secondary claim here that the Alt Right because Penis size is correlational to membership.

Which is a strange thing because surveys tend to indicate being a non-college educated white low income American as the most common type of alt-right voter. But here you come The Romulan Republic indicating that this is incorrect and we should have been asking about penis size all along. I am take you seriously RR this could be a fascinating branch of study, I'll shoot an unsolicited email over to 538 and see if the statisticians are interested in addition Penis size in there right after gender/race/age/economic status/penis size.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton

User avatar
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
Posts: 22543
Joined: 2002-07-03 06:16pm
Location: New York, the Fuck You State
Contact:

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by Dalton » 2019-05-14 04:37pm

SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Jesus H. Christ, do we REALLY have to litigate every goddamned thing?
Image
Image
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

User avatar
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition
Posts: 11977
Joined: 2002-07-03 07:22am
Location: Vasa, Finland

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by His Divine Shadow » 2019-05-18 02:20pm

Clever, guillotines don't work on the moon.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.

User avatar
The_Saint
Jedi Knight
Posts: 647
Joined: 2007-05-05 04:13am
Location: Under Down Under

Re: POLITICAL CARTOON DISCUSSION THREAD 2018

Post by The_Saint » 2019-05-18 11:29pm

Fors some reason all I can think of is a less charitable version of S R Hadden from the movie 'Contact'.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.

Post Reply