Flat Earth Rocket Was Launched

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Flat Earth Rocket Was Launched

Post by Sea Skimmer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UAHORcbvvQ

They said it was too dumb to be done but it was done and it's still dumb! Looks like he got nearly as high as the hills in the background too, once and for all proving that science is useless except for building science disproving steam rockets, and cars to tow them, and cameras for filming them and the world wide web to tell others about it. But useless it still is!
At Long Last, Flat Earth Rocketeer Finally Manages to Blast Himself Into Sky at God Knows What Speed
Tom McKay
Today 12:25pm
Filed to: we told you not to try this at home

Self-declared Flat Earth researcher and DIY steam rocket enthusiast “Mad” Mike Hughes has finally managed to prove the haters wrong about his ability to blast himself some 1,875 feet into the sky without being crushed or scalded to death, the Associated Press reported on Sunday.

After the failure of two previous attempts to launch his steam-powered rocket with “RESEARCH FLAT EARTH” emblazoned on the side—first due to meddling government bureaucrats and then due to unspecified technical problems—Hughes finally managed to take off on Saturday from the Mojave Desert ghost town of Amboy, California. Video of the launch posted by AP freelancer Matt Hartman captured the moment the rocket took off, which seemed to take onlookers by surprise, including a nearby group of boys who appeared to be idly throwing rocks into a bigger pile of rocks.

Here’s video from another angle shot by Amboy town manager Carlos Aceves, as well as footage of Hughes being extracted from the rocket by paramedics, via Route 66 News:

After the Bureau of Land Management nixed his first attempt for a flight path that would have taken him over public land, Hughes modified his rocket to use an improvised vertical launch platform. Per the AP, helper Waldo Stakes said that they were only able to get the steam rocket to 340 psi instead of the planned 350 psi, but went ahead with the launch anyway because Hughes wanted to avoid yet another failed attempt and dispel rumors he wasn’t actually on board a previous rocket he managed to launch in 2014. Stakes estimated the speed at 350 mph.

Hughes told the AP that outside of an aching back, he was fine and felt “relieved” the rocket launch was over.

“I’m tired of people saying I chickened out and didn’t build a rocket,” he added. “I’m tired of that stuff. I manned up and did it ... This thing wants to kill you 10 different ways. This thing will kill you in a heartbeat.”

“Am I glad I did it?” Hughes concluded. “Yeah. I guess. I’ll feel it in the morning. I won’t be able to get out of bed. At least I can go home and have dinner and see my cats tonight.”

Whatever calculations Hughes, who does not “believe in science,” performed are not a matter of public record. But the 350 mph estimate, accurate or not, is definitely fast enough to secure bragging rights.

The AP noted the triumphant rocketeer’s future plans include building a “Rockoon,” which sounds like an air-launched rocket that involves a balloon instead of a plane and is apparently intended to get him high enough into the air to test his Flat Earth theory (68 miles, well above the breathable atmosphere and the Armstrong Limit where all bodily fluids would boil away in an unpressurized environment). Also he’s gonna run for governor, because sure, whatever.

[Associated Press/Route 66 News]
https://gizmodo.com/at-long-last-flat-e ... 1824059035
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: Flat Earth Rocket Was Launched

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

And this proved what exactly?! That Wile E. Coyote is alive and in(barely)human form?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

The fact that he lived through it suggests there is in fact no justice in the universe :D
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i'm pretty sure the rocket is his goal and the flat earth stuff is just his latest con for funding, the flat earthers are just easier fooled than the NASCAR crowd he tried before.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2018-03-26 01:53am The fact that he lived through it suggests there is in fact no justice in the universe :D
Or Fortune favors the feenle-minded
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Marko Dash wrote: 2018-03-26 03:21am i'm pretty sure the rocket is his goal and the flat earth stuff is just his latest con for funding, the flat earthers are just easier fooled than the NASCAR crowd he tried before.
One can only hope.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I refuse to be sad about anyone who built their own goddamn rocketship. Even if it's a stupid rocketship.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Well......? Is the Earth flat or what?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It sure looks flat from 1875 feet in the air.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I don't know about that. Even when coming in for a landing* on an airliner, I can notice the very apparent curvature of the horizon once you get under the clouds. How do they explain that? Or do they? Look, I'm not up on this particular form of crazy.

I assume they go with "magnets."?

*I would notice it on take-off, but that pre-flight whiskey isn't going to drink itself.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

They claim the windows are distorted.