Nikolas Cruz 'remorseful' as police report claims he confessed to Florida school shooting massacre

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Nikolas Cruz 'remorseful' as police report claims he confessed to Florida school shooting massacre

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Florida shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz's defence lawyer has said her client is "sad" and "remorseful" - as a police report claimed he has confessed to the Valentine's Day gun massacre.
Melisa McNeill, who put her arm around Cruz as he appeared in court, told reporters the 19-year-old was a "broken human being" following the attack which killed 17 and injured at least 15.
A Broward County Sheriff's Office report said expelled ex-pupil Cruz confessed to being the shooter at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parklands.
The report claimed Cruz confirmed he "began shooting students that he saw in the hallways and on school grounds" then took off his rifle and vest so he could escape through the crowd.

Cruz appeared in court charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder.
"You’re charged with some very serious crimes," magistrate judge Kim Theresa Mollica told the suspected shooter, whose defence provided no argument.
The FBI has meanwhile confirmed it its investigating its handling of an apparent online threat the suspect is claimed to have made online last year.
Law enforcement officials were tipped off about a comment on a YouTube channel last year, which read: "I'm going to be a professional school shooter."
Officials said officers carried out background checks but said they found "no indication of time, location or the true identity of the person who made the comment" and did not act further on it.
This scumbag doesn't get to feel remorse for what he did! :evil:

Link.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Nikolas Cruz 'remorseful' as police report claims he confessed to Florida school shooting massacre

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I would never deny a person the right to feel remorse for their actions (presuming this isn't, as I suspect is more likely, merely a legal ploy or regret that he's going to jail), but it won't bring the dead back.

All I hope is that he lives a very long life in prison, and spends every single moment of it filled with regret and self-loathing.

And that someday, we will get a Congress which will care more about the lives of children than about arming their radical base and keeping the NRA's support.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: Nikolas Cruz 'remorseful' as police report claims he confessed to Florida school shooting massacre

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-15 05:12pm I would never deny a person the right to feel remorse for their actions (presuming this isn't, as I suspect is more likely, merely a legal ploy or regret that he's going to jail), but it won't bring the dead back.
It's a ploy. All his social media posts indicated this was a long time in the making, and remorse was the furthest thing g from his tiny mind.
All I hope is that he lives a very long life in prison, and spends every single moment of it filled with regret and self-loathing.
He'll spend that time in the joint playing the victim card, making use of the appeals process, and strutting around like he's King Shit the whole time the son of a bitch's on death row waiting for the needle that's too good for him.

While we deny the monster we made, or that he is/was just like every other American boy.

Cause, surely the land of the cheat code and the home of Gamerhate could never behave that way.
And that someday, we will get a Congress which will care more about the lives of children than about arming their radical base and keeping the NRA's support.
And, someday, Buddha will give Mal the pony and plastic rocket he prayed for.

No, seriously. This has been an issue for thirty-eight years possibly more, and precisely jack and shit has been done about it by the left, right, or NRA cockwhore Colonel Bernie Slanders which hasn't been handwringing, posturing, thoughts, prayers, and blame gaming.

Radical base? Guns and violence are as American as Joltin' Joe beating the piss out of Marilyn Monroe, from John Wayne to Dirty Harry. That's what we refuse to see, to the point of blaming foreign patsies for that failing in our national character as well.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-15 05:12pm And that someday, we will get a Congress which will care more about the lives of children than about arming their radical base and keeping the NRA's support.
The way I see it, gun control has no chance of passing any time soon. Thus anyone who is putting their effort into arguing about gun control without proposing alternatives that could pass and could help is more focused on guns than they are on helping people. This applies to politicians on both sides of the gun control argument.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I'm sure from the gun advocates' perspective the solution is to arm all the staff.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Tribble wrote: 2018-02-16 06:43am I'm sure from the gun advocates' perspective the solution is to arm all the staff.
If they truly believed that, they would be talking about funding the purchase of guns for the staff.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-02-16 03:51am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-15 05:12pm And that someday, we will get a Congress which will care more about the lives of children than about arming their radical base and keeping the NRA's support.
The way I see it, gun control has no chance of passing any time soon. Thus anyone who is putting their effort into arguing about gun control without proposing alternatives that could pass and could help is more focused on guns than they are on helping people. This applies to politicians on both sides of the gun control argument.
Well said. Sorry, guys, it's in the Constitution and we lost the relevant court case(s). We can either change the Constitution or try a different tack.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-02-16 06:57am
Tribble wrote: 2018-02-16 06:43am I'm sure from the gun advocates' perspective the solution is to arm all the staff.
If they truly believed that, they would be talking about funding the purchase of guns for the staff.
One of the parents from the school advocated that exact thing (though didn't want to appear on camera saying "arm the teachers")- I can more easily see teachers being allowed to bring their own firearms than to see anyone actually funding that.

The second video on this page sums the issue up in a nutshell. Upshot is that the only thing where there's near-universal agreement is in favour of background checks, with 95% saying yes.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-02-16 06:57am
Tribble wrote: 2018-02-16 06:43amI'm sure from the gun advocates' perspective the solution is to arm all the staff.
Some do.

Or at least a few of the staff, in the same general spirit as the idea of putting a few armed "air marshals" on commercial flights to guard against hijackers.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-02-16 06:57am If they truly believed that, they would be talking about funding the purchase of guns for the staff.
They're just going to do the same thing they always do when gun control legislation is proposed: they will find some minor semantic detail of the legislation to nitpick (omg they used a slightly different technical word to describe the trigger then the one currently in vogue among hard-core gun enthusiasts, the horror!) and use that as an excuse to dismiss the entire enterprise of gun control as being futile.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-02-16 11:10amOr at least a few of the staff, in the same general spirit as the idea of putting a few armed "air marshals" on commercial flights to guard against hijackers.
And who pays for the firearms, ammunition and range time?

I'm not totally opposed to the idea, even if I can see a bunch of practical objections, but if my sister-in-law the elementary school teacher is having to buy stationery out of her own pocket then Armok knows where the school district is going to find the money to issue her a sidearm and make sure she knows how to use it.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Why would you wish he doesn't feel remorse? Remorse is not a pleasant thing to experience.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2018-02-16 07:29pmand use that as an excuse to dismiss the entire enterprise of gun control as being futile.
Baltimore shows it's futile, comrade.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

MKSheppard wrote: 2018-02-17 03:03am
Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2018-02-16 07:29pmand use that as an excuse to dismiss the entire enterprise of gun control as being futile.
Baltimore shows it's futile, comrade.
Australia shows it isn't. I can also strawman.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Nah, ban schools.

Clearly too dangerous.

NRA supported homeschooling for all.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-02-16 01:37amIt's a ploy. All his social media posts indicated this was a long time in the making, and remorse was the furthest thing g from his tiny mind.
In all probability, yes its a ploy. Or, as I said "regret that he got caught and has to pay the price."
He'll spend that time in the joint playing the victim card, making use of the appeals process, and strutting around like he's King Shit the whole time the son of a bitch's on death row waiting for the needle that's too good for him.
While I appreciate your contempt for this murdering scumbag, this is starting to verge on internet tough guy territory.

I hope you are not suggesting that accused killers should have their right to parole reduced in order to speed them on their way to death row.
While we deny the monster we made, or that he is/was just like every other American boy.

Cause, surely the land of the cheat code and the home of Gamerhate could never behave that way.
Now you're going too far. No, I don't think every American boy is on the cusp of mass murder.
And, someday, Buddha will give Mal the pony and plastic rocket he prayed for.

No, seriously. This has been an issue for thirty-eight years possibly more, and precisely jack and shit has been done about it by the left, right, or NRA cockwhore Colonel Bernie Slanders which hasn't been handwringing, posturing, thoughts, prayers, and blame gaming.
This is not the place for a Bernie Sanders debate, but I would be remiss if I did not point out that calling him an "NRA cockwhore" because he supports slightly less gun regulation than some Democrats, is unreasonable. And to treat the Left and Right generally as equivalent on this issue is frankly dishonest (or else deeply ignorant), as much as any other variation of the "both sides" narrative.

And there are plenty of people on the Left who would like to do something about it. The problem is that the NRA has bought/intimidated a sufficient number of Congressmembers to prevent that.
Radical base? Guns and violence are as American as Joltin' Joe beating the piss out of Marilyn Monroe, from John Wayne to Dirty Harry. That's what we refuse to see, to the point of blaming foreign patsies for that failing in our national character as well.
Guns and violence are very American, yes. But at the same time, IIRC, polls show that the vast majority of Americans support a greater degree of gun regulation than we have.

That said, I would agree that the problem is (partially) cultural- a deeply engrained culture of glorifying the lone vigilante and political violence, in particular.

Of course, there are other facets to the problem as well- lack of quality mental health care, deep racial divisions, economic insecurity, lack of gun control, and probably some others I'm not thinking of. People looking for a single cause (or solution) to the gun violence issue are wasting their time (or, in some cases, looking for a scapegoat that is politically acceptable to them).

As, frankly, are defeatist rants, however justified they may seem. Cynicism and defeatism breed apathy (or extremism, depending on the person). America has solved problems more intractable than this (slavery comes to mind), if with great difficulty and at great cost. The NRA would love nothing more than for Americans to believe that the problem is unsolvable (or better yet, solvable only with more guns).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Esquire wrote: 2018-02-16 10:17am
bilateralrope wrote: 2018-02-16 03:51am
Well said. Sorry, guys, it's in the Constitution and we lost the relevant court case(s). We can either change the Constitution or try a different tack.
As demonstrated by the fact that some states/cities have more gun control laws that others, a degree of gun control is permissible under current interpretations of the Constitution. An outright ban on private gun ownership, or anything even distantly approaching that, would not be- but I don't think most people anywhere on the political spectrum want that.

So there is room for improving existing laws.

There is also the fact that the Constitution is open to judicial interpretation, that the current interpretation of the Second Amendment is not the only possible one or the only one that has existed in American history, and that the Supreme Court has previously made decisions which subsequent generations decided were misguided (or, in the case of something like Dredd Scott, outright evil).

So electing a President and Congress who will appoint a less conservative court is another angle of attack, and perhaps the most important.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

By refusing to face facts, little baby Rommie, and by supporting Colonel Slanders, you have soiled your hands with the innocent blood shed in Florida and elsewhere.

You have not only conceded the debate, but all moral authority to judge anyone else for the positions they hold.

Do not bother replying to my posts because I do not feel I have to listen to one goddamned thing you have to say going forward.

So go fuck yourself with a rusty butter knife.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Cinnabar, WTF? This is not the way to debate. TRR responded to you intelligently and addressed your issues. You respond with Ad Hominems and a "Waaah, Don't talk to me anymore", in such a way you got reported for trolling. Back your ass up and try this again.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-02-17 01:47pm By refusing to face facts, little baby Rommie, and by supporting Colonel Slanders, you have soiled your hands with the innocent blood shed in Florida and elsewhere.
You blame me for the deaths of children because I don't agree with your self-indulgent mindless cynicism, or your off-topic political vendetta? And then you have the gall to try to play the moral high ground with me?

Burn in hell, you sorry piece of shit.
You have not only conceded the debate, but all moral authority to judge anyone else for the positions they hold.
That's not how debating works. Having a different view than you is not a concession.
Do not bother replying to my posts because I do not feel I have to listen to one goddamned thing you have to say going forward.
"WAHHH, I refuse to defend my arguments because I don't like you!"

The only one who gets to say "concession accepted" here is me.
So go fuck yourself with a rusty butter knife.
So you whine about America's culture of violence, try to play the moral high ground while wallowing in your own vapid cynicism and defeatism, and then direct a description of sexual violence at someone for politely expressing a different opinion?

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

loomer wrote: 2018-02-16 10:03pm Why would you wish he doesn't feel remorse? Remorse is not a pleasant thing to experience.
Because it's not as though he has any excuse or reason to slaughter 17 people, like someone forced him to go on a rampage.

The very fact that he was taken alive at all is unusual, since in so many mass shootings the perpetrator/s die either by their own hand or the cops. I would know whatever bullshit motive he comes up with.

On a related note, his younger brother Zachary has been sectioned in the aftermath. Not sure what to make of that.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-02-17 09:46pm
loomer wrote: 2018-02-16 10:03pm Why would you wish he doesn't feel remorse? Remorse is not a pleasant thing to experience.
Because it's not as though he has any excuse or reason to slaughter 17 people, like someone forced him to go on a rampage.

The very fact that he was taken alive at all is unusual, since in so many mass shootings the perpetrator/s die either by their own hand or the cops. I would know whatever bullshit motive he comes up with.

On a related note, his younger brother Zachary has been sectioned in the aftermath. Not sure what to make of that.
I don't think you understand what remorse means, in that case. It has nothing to do with excuse or reason.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

This. I have every hope he does feel remorse.

I sincerely hope that that remorse does not get him a lighter sentence.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Cruz just shows that the entire US system of law enforcement, mental healthcare, and background checks is completely fucking broken.

This was a kid who had the police called to his dozens of times for domestic violence, weapons violations, and god knows what else. He was also in & out of treatment for mental health issues and doped up on various behavioral medications. This was all known to the authorities and yet they somehow let him buy a gun. Legally. If Cruz isn't a picture perfect profile of a serial killer in training I don't know what is, and it's not like the cops or others didn't know about it, everyone interviewed was like "yeah, I'm not surprised it was him". And he gets to buy a gun. Legally.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/us/flori ... index.html
http://www.businessinsider.com/nikolas- ... say-2018-2

And of course the FBI which can't find a hooker in a whorehouse drops the ball again.
https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press ... nd-florida

I'll put it this way. A lot of people need to lose their jobs and be charged with criminal negligence for allowing this to happen.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Damn typo, that should have read "I would love to know whatever bullshit motive he comes up with".