Deadly clashes reported overnight in Iran as nationwide protests continue

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Deadly clashes reported overnight in Iran as nationwide protests continue

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Nine people, including a number of rioters who tried to storm a police station, have been killed in clashes overnight between anti-government protesters and police in Iran, according to state television.
The reports on Tuesday bring the death toll to at least 20 as the protests continue into a sixth day.
In his first remarks since the protests began, Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, accused "enemies of Iran" of using "various means" to meddle in the country.
But the US continued to foment the protests, calling on the regime to end its new block on social media sites.
Donald Trump tweeted on Tuesday that it was "time for change," while the State Department said the US had "obligation not to stand by".
The US called on Iran to "open these sites" including Instagram and the messaging app Telegram.
Link.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Deadly clashes reported overnight in Iran as nationwide protests continue

Post by Jub »

Iran's leadership need to realize that the rising youth population isn't drink the religious conservative Kool-aid figure shit out lest they breed a generation will to go beyond protests to change things.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Deadly clashes reported overnight in Iran as nationwide protests continue

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Iran, of course, badly needs reform, but Trump's comments won't be helpful. One of the go-to tactics to discredit protests such as this is to dismiss them as simply the work of Western agitators, and Trump's belligerent comments (especially coming from a notorious Islamophobe) are practically gift-wrapping that narrative for the Iranian government.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.