Top Catholic proclaims 2017 as 'annus horribilis' in wake of SSM, royal commission

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

loomer
Sith Marauder

Top Catholic proclaims 2017 as 'annus horribilis' in wake of SSM, royal commission

Post by loomer »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-22/catholic-church-writes-off-2017/9283172 wrote: One of Australia's top Catholics has declared 2017 an "annus horribilis", the Latin phrase for "horrible year", in his Christmas message.

Sydney's Archbishop Anthony Fisher made reference to same-sex marriage and the findings of the royal commission into child sexual abuse.

"Like any year, this one has had its challenges for our world, our country and each of us individually," Archbishop Fisher said.

"For people of faith you might say it has been an 'annus horribilis', as our Christian conceptions of life and love have been challenged in the marriage and euthanasia debates, freedom of religion in Australia put in doubt and shameful crimes and cover ups in our church uncovered by the royal commission.

"But the Christmas story insists there is a star in the dark sky, light amidst the fears and failures."

The Archbishop alluded to the strength of the faith through its young people, referring to the thousands who attended the recent Australian Catholic Youth Festival.

He said there was new hope for 2018.

"A throng of young people standing up for faith and ideals says to us that whatever the past failures, we can have hope for ourselves, our families, our church, our nation, our world," Archbishop Fisher said.

"Our young people are not naive about the shames in our past or the trials in our future, but they want to be part of the answer to both.

"They are generously responding to the call to be priests and prophets, servant leaders and saints, the spiritual heroes we need for our times."
Relating marriage equality to royal commission 'wrong'

Equality Campaign spokesman Clint McGilvray said the Archbishop's remarks on marriage equality and the sexual abuse inquiry in the same context were "completely wrong".

"One is celebrating the best of Australian values, the best of who we are and what we are," Mr McGilvray said.

"In terms of the other, I mean that is a terrible thing what's happened and the church has to address that.

"As a Catholic I know the majority of Catholic Australians voted yes because it is in line with the values of our faith, and it's also in line with the values of a 'fair go' and treating everyone with the same dignity and respect."
The Archbishop needs a good defrocking as far as I'm concerned. The horror of the commission was not the uncovering of the shame - it was that the shame ever happened, and this twat needs a good stiff kick in the arse to remind him of that fact. It also takes a special kind of deliberate willful ignorance to interpret the SSM act as infringing on his precious religious liberties - and I don't recall him arguing for it to be permitted for those religions, like mine, which have no objection whatsoever to gay marriage. Guess it only matters if it goes one way, eh?

There is indeed a bright star as he says, though. But when he goes to meet that bright star, he may have a lot to answer for.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
loomer
Sith Marauder

Re: Top Catholic proclaims 2017 as 'annus horribilis' in wake of SSM, royal commission

Post by loomer »

An addendum: The annus horribilis is and has been every year that the Church has done nothing to protect the vulnerable children and youths in its care, and every year will be until their response becomes what is truly needed. Pope Francis has done fine work in that regard, but the church in Australia has a great, great, great way to go yet before any year will cease to be a horrible one.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Top Catholic proclaims 2017 as 'annus horribilis' in wake of SSM, royal commission

Post by Tribble »

More like its an annus horrbilis for the Church because they were caught. I'm sure they would happily sweep things under the rug and pretend every thing is fine and dandy if they could.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

In fairness, the archbishop didn't say it was a horrible year because they got caught, he said something along the lines of "it's horrible that these terrible things are happening in our midst!"
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

True - but he still needs a kick in the arse because every year is an annus horribilis while this goes on and while the church continues to deny true support and justice to those it has harmed. His timing leads me to suspect it really does fall on the side of 'I wish this hadn't come out'.