Roy Moore wants to abolish all Constitutional amendments after the 10th.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Roy Moore wants to abolish all Constitutional amendments after the 10th.

Post by Simon_Jester »

Zaune wrote: 2017-12-13 08:36pm I really hope they don't, but at this point I'm not ruling out anything.
Segregation and black disenfranchisement isn't actually more popular in the South than it was in, say, 1970. A lot of whites passively go along with things like voter ID laws because they're justified in terms other than "stop minorities from voting," but would balk at something more aggressive and blatantly unconstitutional.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Roy Moore wants to abolish all Constitutional amendments after the 10th.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yup.

People in general are dangerously good at rationalizing their bullshit, but most people have a threshold as to how much they can easily rationalize all at once. There are certain things that have been drilled into most Americans' heads as being just WRONG, like using the N-word (note that, while he's usually completely shameless in front of a camera, and I'd bet good money he's used it in private, Trump has NEVER said that word in front of a camera during his campaign or, thus far, his Presidency-not once). They can hypocritically rationalize less obvious bigotry and despotism, but its harder when its in your face like that.

Of course, I do recall posting a thread a while back, citing a poll in which about half of Republicans stated they'd be okay with Trump or Congress postponing elections outright due to "voter fraud". And part of what makes the Alt. Reich so dangerous is its penchant for normalizing the previously unthinkable. But there are limits to what the average (somewhat sane) American will swallow in one go. For example, I think that (for now at least), they hit a lot of peoples' limits when they tried to normalize Neo-Nazism (see Charlottsville) and pedophilia (see Roy Moore).

Maybe in time they'll manage it (God forbid), but eroding those deeply engrained values takes time. They overreached after Trump got elected, and it bit them in the ass. Same thing would happen, only more so, if they outright tried to revoke voting rights for minorities.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.