Millennials Are More Racist Than They Think

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Millennials Are More Racist Than They Think

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Politico
News about race in America these days is almost universally negative. Longstanding wealth, income and employment gaps between whites and people of color are increasing, and tensions between police and minority communities around the country are on the rise. But many claim there’s a glimmer of hope: The next generation of Americans, they say, is “post-racial”—more tolerant, and therefore more capable of easing these race-based inequities. Unfortunately, closer examination of the data suggests that millennials aren’t racially tolerant, they’re racially apathetic: They simply ignore structural racism rather than try to fix it.

In 2010, a Pew Research report trumpeted that “the younger generation is more racially tolerant than their elders.” In the Chicago Tribune, Ted Gregory seized on this to declare millennials “the most tolerant generation in history.” These types of arguments typically cling to the fact that young people are more likely than their elders to favor interracial marriage. But while millennials are indeed less likely than baby boomers to say that more people of different races marrying each other is a change for the worse (6 percent compared to 14 percent), their opinions on that score are basically no different than those of the generation immediately before them, the Gen Xers, who come in at 5 percent. On interracial dating, the trend is similar, with 92 percent of Gen Xers saying it’s “all right for blacks and whites to date each other,” compared to 93 percent of millennials.

Furthermore, these questions don’t really say anything about racial justice: After all, interracial dating and marriage are unlikely to solve deep disparities in criminal justice, wealth, upward mobility, poverty and education—at least not in this century. (Black-white marriages currently make up just 2.2 percent of all marriages.) And when it comes to opinions on more structural issues, such as the role of government in solving social and economic inequality and the need for continued progress, millennials start to split along racial lines. When people are asked, for example, “How much needs to be done in order to achieve Martin Luther King’s dream of racial equality?” the gap between white millennials and millennials of color (all those who don’t identify as white) are wide. And once again, millennials are shown to be no more progressive than older generations: Among millennials, 42 percent of whites answer that “a lot” must be done to achieve racial equality, compared to 41 percent of white Gen Xers and 44 percent of white boomers.

The most significant change has been among nonwhite millennials, who are more racially optimistic than their parents. (Fifty-four percent of nonwhite millennials say “a lot” must be done, compared with 60 percent of nonwhite Gen Xers.) And this racial optimism isn’t exactly warranted. The racial wealth gap has increased since the 2007 financial crisis, and blacks who graduate from college have less wealth than whites who haven’t completed high school. A new paper by poverty experts Thomas Hirschl and Mark Rank estimates that whites are 6.74 times more likely to enter the top 1 percent of the income distribution ladder than nonwhites. And Bhashkar Mazumder finds that 60 percent of blacks whose parents were in the top half of income distribution end up in the bottom, compared with 36 percent of whites.

As to how well whites and nonwhites get along, only 13 percent of white millennials say “not well at all,” compared with 31 percent of nonwhite millennials. (Thirteen percent of white Gen Xers and 32 percent of nonwhite Gen Xers agree.)

In a 2009 study using American National Election Studies—a survey of Americans before and after each presidential election—Vincent Hutchings finds, “younger cohorts of Whites are no more racially liberal in 2008 than they were in 1988.” My own analysis of the most recent data reveals a similar pattern: Gaps between young whites and old whites on support for programs that aim to further racial equality are very small compared to the gaps between young whites and young blacks.

And even though the gaps within the millennial generation are wide, as with the Pew data, there is also evidence that young blacks are more racially conservative than their parents, as they are less likely to support government aid to blacks.

Spencer Piston, professor at the Campbell Institute at Syracuse University, used ANES data and found a similar pattern on issues relating to economic inequality. He examined a tax on millionaires, affirmative action, a limit to campaign contributions and a battery of questions that measure egalitarianism. He says, “the racial divide (in particular the black/white divide) dwarfs other divides in policy opinion. Age differences in public opinion are small in comparison to racial differences.” This finding is, he adds, “consistent with a long-standing finding in political science.” Piston finds that young whites have the same level of racial stereotypes as their parents.

There is reason for an even deeper worry: The possibility that the veneer of post-racial America will lead to more segregation. The post-racial narrative, when combined with deep structural racism, leads to what sociologist Eduardo Bonilla-Silva calls “racism without racists,” a system where racial gaps persist less because of explicit discrimination and more because of structural factors—things like the passage of wealth from generation to generation or neighborhoods that remain segregated because of past injustices.

We can see numerous examples of how the post-racial rhetoric is hampering a racial justice agenda. In Parents Involved in Community Schools Inc. v. Seattle School District, a 2007 case in which two school boards were sued for using racial quotas to ensure that schools were diverse, Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in the opinion, “The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.” This reasoning is pervasive in his decisions. When the Supreme Court struck down a key provision of the Voting Rights Act in 2013, Roberts wrote that the country “has changed, and while any racial discrimination in voting is too much, Congress must ensure that the legislation it passes to remedy that problem speaks to current conditions.” The results were immediate: Across the country, states began putting up barriers to voting, which the finds disproportionately affect black voters. Political scientists Keith Bentele and Erin O’Brien have concluded that the laws are indeed motivated by a desire to reduce black turnout—all proving that Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was right when she noted in her dissent that the logic of the decision was akin to “throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you are not getting wet.”

It’s possible that the court will use the same “post-racial” logic someday for affirmative action, too. Or to strike down the Federal Housing Administration’s ban on housing actions that have a “disparate impact” on African-Americans, such as exclusionary zoning or lending practices that disproportionately penalize people of color. This is particularly important since the most important impediment to black upward mobility is neighborhood poverty.

The conservative stance on racism is to deny structural racism exists and therefore deny that the solution to racism lies in structural changes. Instead, conservatives view the way to end racial disparities as simply ignoring the issue and treating everyone equally. While this sentiment sounds nice, it means that children who are born into poverty and face structurally racist housing, criminal justice and education systems will never have equal opportunity. The conservative view was once lambasted by 19th-century economist Henry George as “insist[ing] that each should swim for himself in crossing a river, ignoring the fact that some had been artificially provided with corks and other artificially loaded with lead.”

Yet many millennials subscribe to this view, with an MTV/ David Binder poll finding only 39 percent of white millennials believe “white people have more opportunities today than racial minority groups.” By contrast, 65 percent of people of color feel that whites have differential access to jobs and other opportunities. Further, 70 percent of all millennials say “it’s never fair to give preferential treatment to one race over another, regardless of historical inequalities.”

And the irony is that having a black president has made this failure to acknowledge structural barriers to opportunity worse. Numerous studies find that the election of President Barack Obama has made whites, particularly young whites, sanguine about racial disparities in America. One study surveyed 509 people of all races before and after the 2008 election about their perceptions of discrimination against blacks. The youngest third in the sample were 11.7 percent less likely to perceive discrimination in the wake of Obama’s election than they were before, while the oldest third was 8.5 percent less likely. A study of college students at the University of Washington, also based on surveys before and after the 2008 election, finds that those polled were less likely to see the need for continued racial progress after Obama’s election. In the recent MTV study cited above, 62 percent of millennials (58 percent of people of color, 64 percent of whites) agreed that “having a Black President demonstrates that racial minority groups have the same opportunities as white people.”

A 2012 Public Religion Research Institute poll found that 58 percent of white millennials say discrimination affects whites as much as it affects people of color. Only 39 percent of Hispanic millennials and 24 percent of African-American millennials agree.

This is disturbing for the future of race in America. The Roberts vision of radical colorblindness has irreparably harmed racial progress. If young Americans buy into his vision of a colorblind society—and a large literature suggests they do—white America and black America will diverge further, creating a permanent underclass in which people of color are denied equitable access to the American dream.
A.K.A. Reason 160,009 of why I hate everybody. :finger:
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Re: Millennials Are More Racist Than They Think

Post by Esquire »

More detailed response to follow, but I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for a chunk of people (millennials, insofar as that's a meaningful group, which isn't very far in at all) who have themselves been saddled with some rather significant systemic barriers to success (massive student loan debt, near-total erosion of the American middle class, etc, etc) to not see themselves as particularly favored by the system. Any research along these lines is going to end up measuring self-perceived comparisons, and if majority-group millennials are comparing themselves to their parents while minority-group millenials are also comparing themselves to the majority group's parents, both groups can be right while still giving the results cited above.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

A.K.A. Reason 160,009 of why I hate everybody. :finger:
Or more likely you are looking for bullshit reasons to be a worthless misanthrope. Who is doing the discriminating? Who is actually prejudiced? And who has their head in the sand? Young people don't have a great amount of power in this society. Being ignorant of systemic issues is different from being a bigot no matter what the press says to slander Millenials, as the press loves to do. Being optimistic about the state of racial issues is a far cry from being fearful of the same positive societal change. The latter tends to be the mark of true racism in this country.

Ignorance isn't a good thing, but telling a group of people that they are racists when you misunderstand what racism is just makes you look like a malicious cunt, and seriously helps no one. After all, by definition Millenials are as diverse a group as any other generation. Such overgeneralization throws the victims of discrimination such as black youths under the same bus as white kids trying to pay off their student loans.

Point of fact is, nothing contained in this article is new. The advances made in the Civil rights movement have been slowly reversing themselves since the 80's, but that doesn't make for as good a clickbait headline as bullshit accusations about Millenials. Because it would mean admitting that Generation x is also part of the problem. And the generation before that. And probably the generation before that as well. "Post racial reasoning" is now thirty years old or older. No one wants to admit to being part of the problem. Least of all misanthropes who hate people as a general rule.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

There is a relevant fact cited, however, which was consciously ignored?
A 2012 Public Religion Research Institute poll found that 58 percent of white millennials say discrimination affects whites as much as it affects people of color.
Not sure about the poll's reliability, but if that is true, well... I can't even really comment on this, it is so obviously wrong. "Discrimination affect whites as much as people of color" is... a crazy statement to begin with, totally at odds with reality.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

"Millenials suck" is basically the mantra of a lot of op-ed pieces these days anyways. Just as I know Gen-Xers ate a bunch of shit and I'm sure Baby Boomers ate shit from the Greatest Generation.

People who thought America was post racial after Obama got elected were fooling themselves. Outside these hugboxes where everyone felt good they "did their part" and voted for a black guy.... and did nothing else.... and they would have voted for him anyways because he had a (D) next to his name, the world just kept on turning. In fact, while said champions were busy jerking each other off for 8 years, their opponents doubled-down and made significant gains in areas to put them back in power.
K. A. Pital wrote: 2017-11-27 03:46pm There is a relevant fact cited, however, which was consciously ignored?
A 2012 Public Religion Research Institute poll found that 58 percent of white millennials say discrimination affects whites as much as it affects people of color.
Not sure about the poll's reliability, but if that is true, well... I can't even really comment on this, it is so obviously wrong. "Discrimination affect whites as much as people of color" is... a crazy statement to begin with, totally at odds with reality.
False equivalence is easy to see. They probably have very few minority friends, if any. Those they DO have are likely in the same socio-economic group as they are. If that's upper-middle/middle class, they see people with the same advantages they have. They see white homeless people. Down here, while the per capita says otherwise, you will see a majority of white homeless. Their friends with money issues, losing their homes,etc, are likely all white.

I've had middle-class hispanic and black friends and still have more than a few. Even THEY aren't immune to this line of reasoning.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

I've learned enough about how to conduct a proper survey to know most surveys, especially political ones, are conducted extremely poorly. Sometimes because its hard to actually get a proper unbiased sample (you can't force people to answer, so those who have a neutral opinion tend not to participate, especially on polls conducted by phone or internet). Its also common for the press to completely misunderstand the results even of a well conducted survey. A name like "Religion Research Institute" immediately sounds alarm bells in my mind, and sure enough, a search on their name reveals that they've misrepresented their own research in the past and have used inherently biased questions on immigration related surveys. That said, Media Bias/Fact Check considers them unbiased; though bias isn't always the problem, so take that for what it is worth. So do take their results with a grain of salt, particularly on the subject of immigration, and more importantly do your own research before assuming the press is representing their results accurately.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Formless wrote: 2017-11-27 03:33pm Or more likely you are looking for bullshit reasons to be a worthless misanthrope.
Yeah, that's probably right. Wouldn't be my first time for sure.

And you're right I really should research something beforehand (just like the other million times I've said that...), I'm pretty impulsive and that's been a problem I've had for a long time. :banghead:
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Honestly, it would not surprise me to find out X group of people dealing with their own issues think Y group dealing with related issues are equivalent. People do it all the time. And I honestly expect it to be worse today because there's really nothing in writing to point to and say "that's the problem." There's no Jim Crow, no segregation laws, stuff of that nature. No, instead since "A black man won Head Office" that means we're all on equal footing, even though for just an example School Segregation is a major issue. It's not "really" about race (although it is) anymore, it's about money. And white people generally control more money and so have multiple ways to drive out lower income people.

And I can even see the reasoning, if this is all true, on why Millenials aren't as progressive as they think: you end up tens of thousands in debt, few job prospects, and you see minorities getting all these "leg ups" and the desire to help yourself over others kicks in. So.... thank baby boomers for fucking the economy up so bad we don't have time to give a shit about anyone but ourselves and those closest to us.

But those are long-standing issues. So is the current trend of "find old school problem that may or may not have a new twist: blame it on the newest generation."

NOTE: I'm not justifying any of this. I'm just saying, I'm not gasping in shock over here.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Most people probably are more racist, sexist, etc. than they think.

These ideas are so mmni-present in culture and society, and do such a good job of playing to our base tribalist fears and instincts, as well as our egos and sense of self-importance, and are such a handy tool for justifying selfish acts, that they tend to slip into peoples' thinking without any conscious bigotry, and be adopted and perpetuated.

Part of the nature of prejudice is that many people are guilty of it without realizing that they are.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

What's the operating definition of ___ism, though? I freely admit I don't at the aggregate level enjoy conversations with high school dropouts as much as those with advanced degrees in subjects I find interesting, for example; does that make me a racist because lower educational attainment is correlated with minority status? Is recognition of an objective fact (those with less education are, in fact, less educated) and the incorporation of that fact into decisionmaking processes a prejudice in any blameworthy sense? This is slightly provocative, of course, but I think there's a real problem in using this sort of language without a really clear and coherent set of definitions and suggestions-for-improvement attached.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

My issue is that I don't feel isms are as cut and dry as people think. Though I admit fully it's a bias based on living in Texas.

My current neighborhood I'm moving out of is pretty diverse. Middle Eastern, Asian, Hispanic, Black. We have all kinds. The only current neighbor I bother talking to is black. Those interactions and all the others, race just doesn't come up. It doesn't matter. I don't make any assumptions about them and (I guess I can hope) they don't make any assumptions about me. The median home value is like $200k.

Doing inspections at the place I'm buying. An older black gentleman pulls up on a tractor and we get to talking. He's surprised I'm moving in and not buying to rent it out. "Well, lived here all my life. Good neighborhood. Lots of blacks and Mexicans, but good people." It's either just the way he views things or he's making a value judgement about me. Being Texas, probably both. "Borrowed this tractor from the Chinaman up the road. Real nice guy though." Median home value in the area is pushing $80k.

None of this phases me. It's Texas. Once again, not arguing equivalence, it's just kind of the way things are. It's about race, but kind of... isn't?

Anyways, if there IS fault here (and maybe it is a bigger deal than overt racists, but I'm not bothering to argue that) it's that Millenials could be out of touch thinking they are of somehow more use to minorities because they care more, but won't do anything to actually help. When I think about it, I fit into that category. I throw some money and votes around, but I'm not active in any kind of movement. I just bitch on the Internet.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Esquire wrote: 2017-11-27 06:57pmWhat's the operating definition of ___ism, though? I freely admit I don't at the aggregate level enjoy conversations with high school dropouts as much as those with advanced degrees in subjects I find interesting, for example; does that make me a racist because lower educational attainment is correlated with minority status? Is recognition of an objective fact (those with less education are, in fact, less educated) and the incorporation of that fact into decisionmaking processes a prejudice in any blameworthy sense? This is slightly provocative, of course, but I think there's a real problem in using this sort of language without a really clear and coherent set of definitions and suggestions-for-improvement attached.
I dunno. Are you looking at random black people and thinking "chances are this person isn't really at my educational level, so I'm not going to bother having much interaction here"? When you look at random white people, how often does that cross your mind too?

The answer to that would help elucidate much into the answer to your questions.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Dragon Angel wrote: 2017-11-27 10:30pm
Esquire wrote: 2017-11-27 06:57pmWhat's the operating definition of ___ism, though? I freely admit I don't at the aggregate level enjoy conversations with high school dropouts as much as those with advanced degrees in subjects I find interesting, for example; does that make me a racist because lower educational attainment is correlated with minority status? Is recognition of an objective fact (those with less education are, in fact, less educated) and the incorporation of that fact into decisionmaking processes a prejudice in any blameworthy sense? This is slightly provocative, of course, but I think there's a real problem in using this sort of language without a really clear and coherent set of definitions and suggestions-for-improvement attached.
I dunno. Are you looking at random black people and thinking "chances are this person isn't really at my educational level, so I'm not going to bother having much interaction here"? When you look at random white people, how often does that cross your mind too?

The answer to that would help elucidate much into the answer to your questions.
Please engage honestly with the question, or else don't bother responding. Obviously, the answer is 'no, that would be stupid;" and subsequently "I don't know, about as often as simple demographics might suggest."
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Esquire wrote: 2017-11-28 12:32amPlease engage honestly with the question, or else don't bother responding. Obviously, the answer is 'no, that would be stupid;" and subsequently "I don't know, about as often as simple demographics might suggest."
Uh, I am engaging with you honestly. I'm asking you a question so I can better get a sense of your mindset. If you feel insulted that I even asked it, then that's another dimension you really should consider yo.

This is so I can in fact, not automatically assume that you're a racist. Because the very statement you mentioned, "lower educational attainment is correlated with minority status", brings to mind people who look at a person of color and think automatically that there is a vast intellectual gap between them and the person. Whereas, when looking at a white person, the effect isn't nearly as pronounced. This is a source of what is commonly talked about as unconscious bias.

Thanks for jumping the gun though, that definitely helps the discussion here.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Dragon Angel wrote: 2017-11-28 01:03am <snip>
I sincerely apologize; I got ahead of my own reasoning and jumped down your throat without justification.

I am concerned that this sort of article reflects a deeper problem in the Left, which is that very few people seem to be able to clearly articulate what it is we want people to do, exactly. Millennials score great on the action-oriented side of racism, based on a cursory overview of related writings - they wouldn't, as a group, not hire somebody because he was black or an immigrant or what have you. Sure, 'systemic racism,' but what do we want people to do about it? Millennials, largely, didn't build the system, don't run it, and are already voting overwhelmingly for the people who want to fix it. If I end up hiring, for example, the Harvard graduate with a Fortune 500 internship over the guy with the associate's degree from the local community college... statistically, the first guy is probably white and the second is probably black, but you can't really be surprised at that decision. I think this is where a lot of the mutual incomprehension between the social justice and centrist wings of the Left comes from; the definition of blameworthy racism you should feel bad about possessing expanded radically over the last decade or two within the social justice wing and not at all (or at least not to anything like the same degree) withing the wider society. Setting aside all question of who's right, it is tactically a bad idea to castigate people for not living up to standards that were never clearly explained and which don't seem to come with any kind of actionable example.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

A naive reading of the article suggests to me is that the truth is a tiny bit more nuanced:

It's not that millenials are more racists, they are more insensitive to race-related issues and politics.

It is an essential part of modern racism: to those not affected, they don't see any real sign of racism. They are told stories about slavery and segregation and such. Modern racism is far less visible and obvious from an objective eye.

Meanwhile, millennials are far less likely to actually directly DO racism or have racist views themselves, such as shunning interracial marriage.

Or that's what I gather from the article.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Zixinus wrote: 2017-11-29 02:42pm A naive reading of the article suggests to me is that the truth is a tiny bit more nuanced:

It's not that millenials are more racists, they are more insensitive to race-related issues and politics.

It is an essential part of modern racism: to those not affected, they don't see any real sign of racism. They are told stories about slavery and segregation and such. Modern racism is far less visible and obvious from an objective eye.

Meanwhile, millennials are far less likely to actually directly DO racism or have racist views themselves, such as shunning interracial marriage.

Or that's what I gather from the article.
While it's a bit more complicated, I've got little issue with your premise. It's kind of a comical effect when I think about it. If race doesn't bother you, if it's a non-issue, and you happen to be white (or just the majority), it's really easy to come off as naive and/or insensitive because, after all, YOU don't meter your decisions based on race, so race is easy to ignore. I've found myself in this position multiple times.

I can find myself in a position where it's like "I'm trying to ignore race here, but now you're forcing me to focus on it." It gets rough and you can find yourself in awkward positions. But my dealing with race related issues, unlike my parents, are pretty much limited to being calling a "cracker" in high school. It's like Cold War era "nuclear drills" where my parents hid under their desks in grade school. My connection with this is tenuous at best and 9/11 doesn't even rate there. So no, Russians don't scare me like they did/do my parents.

And from what I've read, and what my wife talks about even down here, high school is/has changed a bit. People like me have kids, they're raising said kids, and those kids are now getting 3rd and 4th hand accounts of "real" racism. So, it's incredibly watered down. These kids don't even have a 9/11 to fear. Iraq and Afghanistan are just history lessons for them. And Internet stories of black shootings and stuff of that nature insulates them even more than MY generation because it's not really in your face.

Meanwhile, if you slide more into the racial side of things, of course you're going to be more sensitive to racism, even if that sensitivity is "X race is terrible and I hate them." And no matter your personal feelings on the topic, there's a not insignificant portion of the public that was alive and kicking when Jim Crow was a thing. My mom talks about getting hassled by busy-bodies then a talking to from her parents (small town mentality) for drinking from a "colored" fountain when she was in grade school. I got no reference there. I've seen some of these fountains that still exist, but it's interesting to me from a historical context. The horror of a society like that, of a LAWFUL second-class citizenship, is kind of lost.

And this has another unintended side-effect when you deal with white people who (supposedly) lack a culture. The younger generation, not tied to race because they've been taught that way are then going to ask "If race culture isn't a big deal to me, why is it a big deal to you?" Sure, some/many are being racist shits, but it can come off as a valid question.