The continuing devaluation of education in the US

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: The continuing devaluation of education in the US

Post by Simon_Jester »

Honestly, that's closer to my profile than I'd like to be; I manage but I'm not gonna lie, I'm probably at or somewhat below the median for high school teachers in America, as a teacher. I might have the median teacher beat on some semi-relevant metrics, but correspondingly they have me beat on others.

The thing is, as I said, there isn't a secret army of super-teachers waiting in the wings. On the whole, the teachers we already have are already pushing towards the high end of the bell curve in areas like conscientiousness, communication ability, and ability to project and express caring in the face of a neutral-to-hostile crowd all day long. They're maybe not the best, and we could probably find a few people who'd teach better than most of our existing teachers if we were willing to offer, say, $100,000 a year. But by and large, I think we'd be getting recruits no better than the ones we already have, who showed up specifically because it pays well, as opposed to because "I want to teach."

The average teacher is already a much better teacher than the median member of the population would be, in other words, and the average teacher's salary isn't that far from the median. Which suggests that some other sorting mechanism is in play (i.e. teaching selects for people who regard the act of teaching itself as a 'perk' worth tens of thousands a year, which isn't far from true).
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

There are other forces at work, though. The long hours, the class sizes and management issues, the lack of dignity associated with the profession, and the office politics all make the job far more torturous than it needs to be. It's a pretty terrible feeling when you sacrifice everything for the first year or two only to receive criticism from your peers and contempt from the rest of the population.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

My experience hasn't been so much general contempt as that a very specific slice of the population has contempt, while the rest has vague to strong respect.

The problem is, you feel that contempt ten times more than you feel the respect.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Going back a ways - Simon, yes, of course infinite spending isn't workable; I should have said something along the lines of "net education spending-directly-connected-to-improved-student-outcomes-and-teacher-QoL-measures" hasn't improved anywhere near enough. Got a bit carried away.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb