21st Century Fox to potentially be sold to Disney.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Re: 21st Century Fox to potentially be sold to Disney.

Post by Marko Dash »

it's been 15+ years, i don't think you could have the same cast and characters without an equivalent in-universe timeskip, plus if you have the movie be canon a lot of shit probably went down after the signal went out.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

bilateralrope wrote: 2017-11-08 10:16pm
Enigma wrote: 2017-11-08 05:56pm How's this going to affect any future Deadpool movies?
It means all the rights for them are now held by Disney, clearing up all the lawyer problems.
But will they try to make it "family friendly"?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

bilateralrope wrote: 2017-11-08 10:17pm
Marko Dash wrote: 2017-11-07 01:31am just a longshot, but what if they bring back or reboot firefly.
What did Firefly have that makes it worth rebooting ?

I'm talking about things that appeared on-screen. Not things that it had the potential to have if it had continued.
What Firefly had on screen:

1) The comparatively rare basic setting concept that is half-jokingly called the "space western," in which the science fiction setting is used as a vehicle to tell stories of a lightly settled frontier and the characters living on the margins in that society. Despite a lot of good television and movie SF coming out in the past few decades, relatively little has been done with this, even though it certainly has at least a solid core of popularity.

2) Cast/characterization dynamics. The first would be hard to recover, since it's very unlikely that after fifteen years they could fully get the gang back together (even if we exclude Ron Glass, who is dead, because of his character also being dead). The latter? Hard to say, because a lot would depend on acting and writing quality.

3) Joss Whedon's skill as a writer. Could be hard to restore, because bringing Whedon back to the project could be difficult given how amazingly his career has moved on. Then again, he might want to do exactly that.
Marko Dash wrote: 2017-11-09 12:17am it's been 15+ years, i don't think you could have the same cast and characters without an equivalent in-universe timeskip, plus if you have the movie be canon a lot of shit probably went down after the signal went out.
Honestly, if you gave me the task "here is the Firefly IP, make some good TV out of it," the first decision I'd make would be to do a remake rather than a timeskip.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Personally, as a rather dedicated Browncoat I'd prefer a series in the same 'Verse but following a different set of characters rather than a remake as such. Maybe give the Alliance military a bit of screentime and characterisation?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Coop D'etat wrote: 2017-11-07 04:45pm Iron Man 3 and Age of Ultron both made bank at the box office, they were the second and third biggest grossing MCU films and both were some of the biggest box office takes in film history. Finacially they were the complete opposite of failures (unless your idea of success is replicating the lightning in a bottle that was the Avengers). I think you're confusing fan retrospective opinion with business success. Both were pretty well received critically as well, so you can't hang that on them either (unlike BvS).

The worst the MCU has done from the business side was the 2nd Thor and the Hulk movie, neither which flopped or even failed, just didn't do so well that they can be considered unambigious successes.
Quite right, I got confused with which films were flops, and it didn't help that I wasn't a fan of IM3.

My point still stands I suppose, which was that the MCU has done very well indeed overall, and by extension if the same quality could be brought to a X-Men production, it would be a net positive.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Zaune wrote: 2017-11-09 08:14am Personally, as a rather dedicated Browncoat I'd prefer a series in the same 'Verse but following a different set of characters rather than a remake as such. Maybe give the Alliance military a bit of screentime and characterisation?
I don't know, I feel like the appeal of the show was more in the characters than the premise.

Though this does neatly dodge the issue of the main cast being older and possibly unavailable (or in one case, sadly, deceased), while still leaving the door open for guest star appearances from actors who want to come back.

Edit: Although, from what I've seen, all the main cast seem pretty fond of the show in hindsight, even those who have moved on to bigger and better things. I'd bet every cent I have (which admittedly isn't much) that Nathan Fillion for one would jump at the chance to come back.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-11-09 08:07pm
Edit: Although, from what I've seen, all the main cast seem pretty fond of the show in hindsight, even those who have moved on to bigger and better things. I'd bet every cent I have (which admittedly isn't much) that Nathan Fillion for one would jump at the chance to come back.
I'm somewhat divided on that. He's gained a lot of weight since and could be considered practically borderline chubby in some of his episodes of Castle, before that show went off the air. Of course if we're doing a '15 years after' that's not particularly an issue. Alan Tudyk also wouldn't be available given they killed Wash off in the movie, unless we had flashbacks. Almost all the cast has very decidedly moved on, though there's a certain degree of sentimentality about the show. One wonders how much of that is publicity though. Fillion in particular seems to enjoy teasing fans with vague suggestions about the show returning.

That said. I'm also on board with the reboot-15-years-after notion. The Serenity can't have been the only tramp freighter out there. No reason they can't have a similar context, it just runs the risk of being too derivative. They could ground it (literally) in having more relationships planet-side, perhaps, and try to expand on the universe to some degree. Showing the havoc of what happened after the Broadcast, etc. If you really want to bring back the original cast? Guest appearances are what you're looking at. Maybe Malcolm Reynolds managed to finagle his 15 minutes of fame into a new ship, but hit a bad patch and went down on his luck. Maybe the Alliance had to deal with a new wave of Browncoats, led by Zoe, and Jayne finds a shred of heroism in his soul to help fight. Stuff like that.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

If the whole setting was moved on 15 years how would it likely have changed in that time so that a new show should be different from the old?

The difference in feeling with the war being 20 years ago instead of 5(?) you'd have almost a generation who didn't have anything to do with it.

All the little primitive settlements would they still be as primitive or would the general tech level have increased?

Did the broadcast result in the destruction of the whole system or did a few high level politicians get thrown under a bus and things carried on with business as usual? Is the core government still virtually unchallenged or is there a new rebel group?

Given the western feeling of the show would their be much of a difference in a true western set in 1870 vs 1885 or 1890?
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Part people haven't noted: Fox also still has the distribution rights to A New Hope.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, I guess that's a big incentive for Disney to buy, then- complete their control over the Star Wars saga.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Beowulf wrote: 2017-11-10 03:44pm Part people haven't noted: Fox also still has the distribution rights to A New Hope.
I didn't know that.

I had though we could have the 20th Century Fox logo/fanfare back though.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

bilateralrope wrote: 2017-11-08 10:16pm You're assuming that Fox was willing to sell at any price. That's not guaranteed. Companies do sometimes hold onto rights, doing the minimal they need to keep them, just to ensure that nobody else uses them to make any serious competition.
That still makes purchasing Fox straight out cheaper then getting the rights lose.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Some of the x men films (First Class, Days of future past, x2) were pretty good. However they could be an incoherent wreck. The MCU timeline is for the most part consistent barring a few small errors

If they wanted to reboot the men in modern day they could pull it off. Magneto could be a bosnian muslim who survived srebrenica for instance