It's Okay to be White

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: It's Okay to be White

Post by Flagg »

ray245 wrote: 2017-11-07 08:56pm Also, I will like to point out the whole "nice guys" exist because they see themselves as being an alternative model of attraction from the "usual hyper-masculine stereotype". The basis of its existence lies in part to the self-identification as a "nice shy nerd" in opposition to the "charismatic, but a bully jock". This dichotomy is still perpetuated in large part by popular media. So anyone being Mr. popular, charismatic is almost by default a "bad guy".
I’m going to assume you’re not trying to make some point and are just as clueless and self-unaware as usual.

You are totally wrong. Nice shy nerds get partners when they start interacting with those of the gender they are attractive to unless something (normally it’s a personality trait rather than a physical issue) about them is utterly repulsive. Generally the way people pair up is by interacting socially in an honest manner rather than adopting some persona for the sole basis of boneration.

Frankly, any bi or straight male who tries to style themselves into some “model of attraction” to get women to fuck them likely views their objective as “getting women to open their legs for me like they are put on Earth to do”. I am troubled by the terminology you are using as it is the exact type of thing being described over and over in this thread. You are failing to understand (in which case get an English tutor) or are generally If not exactly type of person we are talking about.

It disturbs me that a fucking permavirgin luke me knows more about this than you (apparently) do unless you were trying to make a point.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-11-07 03:09pm
Flagg wrote: 2017-11-07 02:10pmYes, but the minimum wage guy isn’t saying anyone owes him anything, he’s just tired of working so hard for so little and sees others, most notably privileged people, essentially skating by in comparison. He’s got a valid point because the way things are supposed to work in this country, what we are told our entire lives, the lie that underpins our whole society is “if you work hard you will succeed.” He’s not saying that he’s owed something because he exists. And if given the same breaks as the privileged people he’s talking about (and the doctor he’s talking to, who himself is incredibly fortunate) he would likely do just as well, or if he’s that hard a worker probably better. He wants the same opportunity to succeed not a fucking free pass.
But the “nice guy” who goes in expecting sex from women (in fact by his very attitude and actions views women as “things to provide him with sex” instead of “people with vaginas”) and complains bitterly when women don’t find him sexually attractive has every opportunity to form healthy relationships with women. The problem is him. And as someone who has had about as much luck with women as with anything (don’t stand near me in a thunderstorm is what I’m saying :P ), on that score it’s pretty much all me. I don’t get angry at women for it because I’m not interested in having sex with a misshapen overweight 36 year old with no teeth, either.
See, that's the thing I'm talking about. We've got this stock character, the "nice guy," all lined up and ready to go, to the point where the stereotype can potentially be unleashed on anyone, whether they deserve it or not.

Like, somewhere out there is a male who is in fact a decent sort at heart, that is to say a 'nice guy' in the literal, older sense of the phrase prior to 2000 or so. And yet, this person has zero luck with women. Maybe they have some weird personality quirk. Maybe they have trouble keeping up with social cues. Maybe they just have a cosmic "Kick Me" sign pasted to their butt; some people seem to.

This particular male may be rather isolated and sad. They may or may not be upset because of sexual frustration; there are other reasons to be unhappy over persistent romantic rejection. The point is, they're unhappy.

And if this male speaks up about it, he may receive a sympathetic hearing. Or... he may not. He may be singled out for bullying. Potentially, he is one out-of-context quotation from being told "Oh, you're one of those entitled "Nice Guy (TM)" shitlords who thinks women exist to provide him with sex. Go die in a fire."

The stereotype can unfold that any dorky nice guy (in the literal sense of the word) who expresses discontent about a lack of romantic success is ACTUALLY a Nice Guy (TM) whose lack of success is purely due to being an entitled misogynistic creep. And at some point, the distinction between genuinely socially awkward people who are suffering, and the entitled creeps that have firmly occupied everyone's headspace, gets lost.

At which point the socially awkward people flee the movement in self-defense.

And I guess what I'm saying is, this kind of thing is deeply counterproductive from the point of view of a movement that wants broad consensus in favor of a reasonable list of progressive social priorities.

There comes a point at which your movement has enough political leverage to punch people hard enough to hurt. Once it can do that, people are going to notice whether it punches up, sideways, or down.

If they see you punching down, they're going to start pulling away from the movement, especially if they're worried they might be next under the fist.

If they see you punching in all directions wildly, they will, again, pull back to a safe distance from which they can not get beaten up.

If they see that complaining about being unfairly punched just nets a massive storm of infinity plus one punches, they will invest in a pair of boxing gloves and start punching back.
The analogy is shitty, is my point. And it’s unsurprising because the source is shitty. Doctor Dickbag is working under the assumption that “minimum wage guy who is bitter because he works himself to death for nothing while watching people with varying degrees of privilege skate by and make a great living” and “Fatty Lumpkin who is bitter because no matter what stratagems and tactics he tries, no matter what false persona’s he adopts, no matter how much fat he sweats off at the gym, women won’t let him stick his dick in them like is his god given right to do” are both wrong which is glaringly untrue. But clearly one attitude is perfectly understandable, largely accurate, and at the end of the day not harmful unless it manifests in telling offspring not to seek out and follow their particular life dreams, while the other is shocking wrong and socially destructive, period.

And we are not psychiatrists or psychologists which is what these people need. Holding their hands and trying to teach them how and why they are wrong does not work. I’m not saying they should be branded, tagged, and thrown in the sewers but you shouldn’t condemn people for being sick of dealing with them and calling them what they are. The victim does not have any obligation to rehabilitate the victimizer.
Last edited by Flagg on 2017-11-08 02:41am, edited 2 times in total.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Sorry, moron at work. Pls ignore or delete
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Flagg wrote: 2017-11-08 02:18am
ray245 wrote: 2017-11-07 08:56pm Also, I will like to point out the whole "nice guys" exist because they see themselves as being an alternative model of attraction from the "usual hyper-masculine stereotype". The basis of its existence lies in part to the self-identification as a "nice shy nerd" in opposition to the "charismatic, but a bully jock". This dichotomy is still perpetuated in large part by popular media. So anyone being Mr. popular, charismatic is almost by default a "bad guy".
I’m going to assume you’re not trying to make some point and are just as clueless and self-unaware as usual.

You are totally wrong. Nice shy nerds get partners when they start interacting with those of the gender they are attractive to unless something (normally it’s a personality trait rather than a physical issue) about them is utterly repulsive. Generally the way people pair up is by interacting socially in an honest manner rather than adopting some persona for the sole basis of boneration.

Frankly, any bi or straight male who tries to style themselves into some “model of attraction” to get women to fuck them likely views their objective as “getting women to open their legs for me like they are put on Earth to do”. I am troubled by the terminology you are using as it is the exact type of thing being described over and over in this thread. You are failing to understand (in which case get an English tutor) or are generally If not exactly type of person we are talking about.

It disturbs me that a fucking permavirgin luke me knows more about this than you (apparently) do unless you were trying to make a point.
:banghead:

I'm talking about how this group describe themselves and how they are justifying their view. I've known such people in real life and seen how they think the dating world works. There are people who literally think that dating is like some rpg game, in which you need to be certain kind of 'hero' to get what they wanted.

I'm not sure how talking about their worldview makes me one of them or justifying it in any manner. I'm using such terminology because that's how they use it to understand the world and relationships. This are the things I've heard in real life from people I know.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Flagg wrote: 2017-11-08 02:05am
ray245 wrote: 2017-11-07 05:06pm
Flagg wrote: 2017-11-07 04:38pm Yeah, but I know so fucking many of those guys and has already been pointed out it’s not like these people make one comment then are labeled the vast majority of the time. They ask for advice, get it, fail, and then eventually reveal that they are in fact a pretty good fit for that designation.

The problem IMO is the people looking for excuses as to why they act like they do despite being given advice over and over on how to not be “that guy”. Yes, there are people on “our side” who all too often come off too harshly when they think they are seeing that behavior and it can turn people off. But they often become that way because they have done it all before and are sick of them. Christ, Tucker still has a shockingly horrid attitude towards women that has not changed despite me and many others trying to work on it with him for over a fucking decade. I’m not saying labels are great or always appropriate, but sometimes they are and I’m not going to condemn someone for losing patience with a racist, misogynist, or any other person spewing vile rhetoric about a part of the population for existing and wanting their existence to suck less.
On the other hand, losing patience does help their confirmation bias. Certain mindsets can be more easily reinforced than deconstructed.
I’m not a saint, don’t pretend to be, and am, like everyone else, not willing to put up with someone who spews misogyny and/or racism for a decade all while acting as if they are trying to change their fucking ways. If you are, have fun with that but don’t inflict that mental illness on the rest of us.
But it's not like ignoring them or simply calling them names is going to solve the problem. If there are people who are willing to talk about deradicalising those that joined terrorist groups, I don't see why the same cannot be applied to such groups of people.

I'm using the word radical on them because I think this is a fitting term.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Okay, I'm looking this over and I see at least ____ threads of discussion to be replied to. Time does not permit me to spend an hour or however long compiling a proper reply right this second, but I want to at least look this over and list the things I'm planning to respond to.

A) Formless's... representation... of the article in question.
Formless's major claims appear to be:

1) Formless states that the Alexander piece's examples of condemnation of Nice Guys are nonrepresentative, dishonest, or both. Formless subsequently makes a detailed examination of the examples.
2) Formless states that Alexander goes on to claim that the category of "misogynistic creeps who feel entitled to sex" does not exist.
3) Formless states that Alexander is apologizing "for the worst excesses of men's rights activists based on the moronic fallacy 'but feminists do it too!' "
4) Formless states that Alexander makes ad hominem attacks against another blogger, referred to as "Barry" as I recall.
5) Formless states that Alexander is misusing the psychiatric theory of Unconditional Positive Regard, applying it in a context where it is useless or counterproductive.
6) Formless states that Alexander makes an argument that "Nice Guys" cannot exist because if they were only interested in sex, they would hire prostitutes; Formless then proceeds to respond to this at length.
7) Formless states that Alexander is claiming that sex is a right; since this is manifestly untrue, Alexander is manifestly wrong.

I will address these at more length later.

B) TRR's comments. They are rather less lengthy.

c) Flagg's comments, mostly addressed to me.

I feel that Flagg has missed my point, partly because his entirely proper hostility towards misogynistic creeps is overriding his awareness of my point. Which is that tagging everyone in a large demographic with "if you say XYZ, you are probably a misogynistic creep" is deeply counterproductive, in addition to being a form of bigotry.

Misogynistic creeps are, tautologically, misogynistic creeps.

It is, however, very easy to tar males who are not misogynists (but may be creeps) with that label. It is also easy to take males who are not particularly misogynist, but can be exposed to misogynist memes, and unintentionally herd them into the welcoming arms of misogynist groups.

And to combine this with my original point, it is possible to tar non-racists with a racist brush, or drive not-very-racists into alignment with very-racist groups. Likewise mildly-homophobic, likewise people who think the poor are contemptible, and so on.

I can address these at further length if desired.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Tying into the racism side of the same issue, it would have been very easy for me to become a racist bastard growing up, despite not being raised that way, if I'd been exposed to the same kind of blanket condemnation Simon's talking about here. I grew up in overwhelmingly majority-black schools from 6th grade all the way on. I was 'whitey.' I was 'hey, white boy.' This was all treated as okay, as normal, never even remarked on.

That could very easily have turned into the kind of resentment and anger that drives people to more radical positions. I like to think I dodged that bullet, although I'm not arrogant enough to think I get to make that claim myself. Few people believe themselves to be racist, after all. I certainly hope I'm not. This was all, of course, before the age of the social network. Mostly, at any rate; certainly before they became pervasive.

The point here is that Simon is absolutely right. The prize in a fight like this isn't your entrenched opposition. The prize isn't the person standing next to you who already agrees with you. The prize is the one standing between the two positions, not because they're a 'fence-sitter' or 'the mindless middle,' but because they're simply out there. Maybe they're pulled between conflicting influences. Maybe they're just young and still forming their own beliefs and morals. Maybe they were raised one way and then made good friends with an Other who challenged that worldview. Maybe who gives a fuck, they're out there, up for grabs, floating between your position and the position you oppose. Because they don't already hold (or realize they hold, or whatever) your position, your beliefs, they look like a possible racist, a possible misogynist, a possible gaybasher, whatever.

You know what? That's exactly what they are. They might be. If you're so desperate to root out 'crypto-fascists' or whatever you want to call them that you start throwing rocks at everyone who even vaguely fits your opposition's profile, you'll end up pelting the only people on the field that you have any real chance of getting through to in the first place.

If you're too burned out, too tired, too jaded to do anything but call for airstrikes on whole sections of the map just to be sure you got your target, go home. Let someone else carry the torch for a while, until you can see more than two colors again.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

What White Haven said.

Now, I picked Flagg's stuff to respond to first, because I have the time and strength for that- not so much for dealing with Formless's... thing.
Flagg wrote: 2017-11-07 02:10pmYes, but the minimum wage guy isn’t saying anyone owes him anything, he’s just tired of working so hard for so little and sees others, most notably privileged people, essentially skating by in comparison. He’s got a valid point because the way things are supposed to work in this country, what we are told our entire lives, the lie that underpins our whole society is “if you work hard you will succeed.” He’s not saying that he’s owed something because he exists. And if given the same breaks as the privileged people he’s talking about (and the doctor he’s talking to, who himself is incredibly fortunate) he would likely do just as well, or if he’s that hard a worker probably better. He wants the same opportunity to succeed not a fucking free pass.

But the “nice guy” who goes in expecting sex from women (in fact by his very attitude and actions views women as “things to provide him with sex” instead of “people with vaginas”) and complains bitterly when women don’t find him sexually attractive has every opportunity to form healthy relationships with women. The problem is him.
See, that's the thing. Everything you just said in the underlined passage is a description of a certain kind of misogynistic creep that we call the Nice Guy (TM), where the words "nice guy" are being used ironically to mock the misogynistic creep's self-description.

Meanwhile, there is also a significant population of guys who actually are nice, or at least are no meaner and nastier than the average person. And who are not misogynistic, in any clearly definable sense of the term. But who lack the social skills to attract a mate or are otherwise unable to do so.

Suffice to say that accusing this second group of secretly being members of the first group is at best counterproductive and at worst a self-fulfilling prophecy.

None of us here are so Panglossian as to assume that every decent male in creation will be able to attract a mate in a reasonable span of time. Not all members of group A (decent males) are members of group B (males who can find a romantic partner). It therefore follows that SOME of the members of group not-B (unhappily-single males) must also be members of group A (decent males).

And yet we are in the process of constructing a stereotype saying that anyone who speaks in public about pain associated with being stuck in group not-B (unhappily single) must also be in group not-A (indecent males). As if we could assume that every decent male would find a mate easily, which is just plain not true.

This collective fallacious reasoning has bad consequences when we apply it aggressively enough. If I start treating all unhappily-single males as guilty until proven innocent of misogynistic creepery, I will drive those people away from me. If I do so from a feminist perspective, I will convince them that feminism is their enemy- and maybe even the source of their misery.

And, more generally, the same thing can happen in other movements. For example, if we assume every person who thinks that the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson was justified is a white supremacist, and yell at them for being a white supremacist, we are going to create a lot of tacit or explicit support for white supremacist movements that would otherwise not have existed.

Similar examples could be constructed for gay rights, transgender rights, or working to deal with income inequality. The harder and more cruelly you swing the lash at people weakly aligned with your enemies going forward, or the more you "punch down" and "punch sideways" against individuals you disagree with instead of "punching up" at institutions... The harder the backlash will swing back.
Flagg wrote: 2017-11-07 04:38pm Yeah, but I know so fucking many of those guys and has already been pointed out it’s not like these people make one comment then are labeled the vast majority of the time. They ask for advice, get it, fail, and then eventually reveal that they are in fact a pretty good fit for that designation.
See, I'm not saying that Nice Guys (TM), and their equally loathsome counterparts on other issues* don't exist.

What I'm saying is that it is entirely possible for "so fucking many of these guys" to get gradually inflated until you're demonizing/otherizing a large number of people who don't actually match the original definition. Or who only wind up matching the original definition after a long period of being driven insane by mind-rotting circumstances and the evil stupidity of others who (and this is important) are not shrieking at them.

*(white supremacists, conversion therapy brainwasher-profiteers, et cetera)
The problem IMO is the people looking for excuses as to why they act like they do despite being given advice over and over on how to not be “that guy”. Yes, there are people on “our side” who all too often come off too harshly when they think they are seeing that behavior and it can turn people off. But they often become that way because they have done it all before and are sick of them. Christ, Tucker still has a shockingly horrid attitude towards women that has not changed despite me and many others trying to work on it with him for over a fucking decade. I’m not saying labels are great or always appropriate, but sometimes they are and I’m not going to condemn someone for losing patience with a racist, misogynist, or any other person spewing vile rhetoric about a part of the population for existing and wanting their existence to suck less.
See, I understand losing patience with specific individuals. The issue is not "everyone should be infinitely patient with terrible people."

The issue is "If you lump in people who are merely unsatisfactory or mildy bad, as being in the same class as terrible people, you will create more enemies than you eliminate."

If you call people Nazis for disapproving of Israeli conduct in the West Bank, then you have nowhere to escalate to when literal Nazis show up and start parading down the streets. If you call people white supremacists for thinking affirmative action is kinda iffy, you have nowhere to escalate to when the love child of Stormfront and the KKK holds a rally in your town. If you call people misogynistic creeps for saying "I'm lonely and I don't understand why and it doesn't seem fair," then you have nowhere to go when the real misogynistic creeps actively fantasizing about making women hurt start coming out of the scum in the drainage ditches.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Bigotry, simon? Fuck you. Bigotry is an inherently ignorant position and I am all too familiar with how these people speak, operate, and think. It's called experience. If you want to have a real discussion about things without resorting to calling those opposed to your dumb ass bigots you can talk to me. Until then, get fucked. Frankly I think you're having a sad that I pointed out how fucking stupid you and your point are. For once I agree with formless, who did a thorough example of the actual source you are working from and finds it what it is: Inherently dishonest. That makes any argument you make using this source inherently dishonest.
Last edited by Flagg on 2017-11-08 05:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

ray245 wrote: 2017-11-08 04:05am
Flagg wrote: 2017-11-08 02:18am

:banghead:

I'm talking about how this group describe themselves and how they are justifying their view. I've known such people in real life and seen how they think the dating world works. There are people who literally think that dating is like some rpg game, in which you need to be certain kind of 'hero' to get what they wanted.

I'm not sure how talking about their worldview makes me one of them or justifying it in any manner. I'm using such terminology because that's how they use it to understand the world and relationships. This are the things I've heard in real life from people I know.
It's hard to tell what you are doing Ray. Frankly your grasp of english seems to come and go as it pleases.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

This entire thread is, has been, and continues to be a shit filled trainwreck and a waste of time.

I'm out.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That was unexpectedly explosive.

Flagg, I accept that you're bailing out, if that's what you want, but I wish you wouldn't. I have a point that I think is getting bypassed, and it wasn't even about that Slate Star Codex post when I first made it.

You may recall that someone else posted that. I may think Formless is misrepresenting big chunks of what it says, but I'm not basing my argument ON it.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Flagg wrote: 2017-11-08 05:18pm It's hard to tell what you are doing Ray. Frankly your grasp of english seems to come and go as it pleases.
I thought using the quotation marks is a clear indication of me making a point? However, I do apologise if I am not being very coherent in my thoughts recently.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Lets clear some things up, shall we? I fear that if these are the points you intend to address, while none of them are things I didn't say, some important points are going to get buried under the trees.
Simon_Jester wrote:1) Formless states that the Alexander piece's examples of condemnation of Nice Guys are nonrepresentative, dishonest, or both. Formless subsequently makes a detailed examination of the examples.
Really, the most important thing is that these serve a larger point, i.e. Ziggy Stardust is absolutely right, and Scott Alexander's essay never proves otherwise. Because Scott Alexander defends his point dishonestly and fallaciously. Indeed he has no argument at all because the examples are misrepresented and not demonstrably representative either. Does he have any statistical evidence of what the average Feminist believes and acts? No. It might sound like a No True Scottsman to dismiss these even if his characterization were correct, but five blog posts are not definitive either.
2) Formless states that Alexander goes on to claim that the category of "misogynistic creeps who feel entitled to sex" does not exist.
3) Formless states that Alexander is apologizing "for the worst excesses of men's rights activists based on the moronic fallacy 'but feminists do it too!' "!
These are not claims, they are arguments for the above. Please learn how debate terminology works, Simon.

Also, have you actually read the essay by Alex, Simon? Because point two is literally me paraphrasing him. Seriously, let me quote him:
Jason Alexander wrote:Okay. Let’s extend our analogy with Dan from above.

It was wrong of me to say I hate poor minorities. I meant I hate Poor Minorities! Poor Minorities is a category I made up that includes only poor minorities who complain about poverty or racism.

No, wait! I can be even more charitable! A poor minority is only a Poor Minority if their compaints about poverty and racism come from a sense of entitlement. Which I get to decide after listening to them for two seconds. And If they don’t realize that they’re doing something wrong, then they’re automatically a Poor Minority.

I dedicate my blog to explaining how Poor Minorities, when they’re complaining about their difficulties with poverty or asking why some people like Paris Hilton seem to have it so easy, really just want to steal your company’s money and probably sexually molest their co-workers. And I’m not being unfair at all! Right? Because of my new definition! I know everyone I’m talking to can hear those Capital Letters. And there’s no chance whatsoever anyone will accidentally misclassify any particular poor minority as a Poor Minority. That’s crazy talk! I’m sure the “make fun of Poor Minorities” community will be diligently self-policing against that sort of thing. Because if anyone is known for their rigorous application of epistemic charity, it is the make-fun-of-Poor-Minorities community!

I’m not even sure I can dignify this with the term “motte-and-bailey fallacy”. It is a tiny Playmobil motte on a bailey the size of Russia.
And in case you don't know what the Motte and Bailey fallacy is, lets let Rationalwiki explain it for you:
Rationalwiki wrote: 1. Person A asserts [Controversial Interpretation of Viewpoint X].
2. Person B critiques [Controversial Interpretation of Viewpoint X].
3. Person A asserts that they were actually defending [Common-Sense Interpretation of Viewpoint X].
4. Person B no longer has grounds to critique Person A; Person B leaves the discussion.
5. Person A claims victory and reverts to supporting [Controversial Interpretation of Viewpoint X].
But what he either forgets or wants his readers to ignore is:
Rationalwiki wrote:What it is not

Clarifying one's views to exclude an incorrect, expansive interpretation is not a motte-and-bailey fallacy, provided that what you defend is a correct and intended interpretation of your earlier statements. The problem with the motte and bailey is that it represents a constantly shifting target: now easy, now hard.
Which is exactly what the omitted article by Feministe does! And the quoted article by XOJane, once you fill back in the omitted text. Even Jezebel consistently capitalizes the term "Nice Guy" so that it cannot be confused with its common meaning, despite the way Alex portrays the issue. The only purpose of accusing these articles of a Motte and Bailey fallicy is to discredit the entire proposal that "Nice Guys" are different from misunderstood nice guys (let alone "Good Guys" that XOJane talks about) or that they exist as a separate category. Its his entire argument.

In fact, as I point out with Jezebel, when he says that no one can hear the capitalization in these terms, he is himself committing a form of equivocation between spoken language and textual communication. ALL of his examples are textual: none of them come from, say, youtube. Which means that you can in fact see when someone is capitalizing the phrase to distinguish it from its common meaning! Especially when it comes with a trademark symbol attached, which it commonly does (see here for instance). The conventions of written English differ from spoken English, so anyone who misunderstands the meaning of "Nice Guy" as used in feminist circles and conflates it with the common term "nice guy" is either illiterate or dishonest. In Scott Alex' case, its clearly the latter.

But he goes even further:
Scott Alexander wrote:I don’t think I ever claimed to be, or felt, entitled to anything. Just wanted to know why it was that people like Henry could get five wives and I couldn’t get a single date. That was more than enough to get the “shut up you entitled rapist shitlord” cannon turned against me, with the person who was supposed to show up to give me the battery of tests to distinguish whether I was a poor minority or a Poor Minority nowhere to be seen. As a result I spent large portions of my teenage life traumatized and terrified and self-loathing and alone.

Some recent adorable Tumblr posts (1, 2) pointed out that not everyone who talks about social justice is a social justice warrior. There are also “social justice clerics, social justice rogues, social justice rangers, and social justice wizards”. Fair enough.

But there are also social justice chaotic evil undead lich necromancers.
Lets set aside that by 2014 the history of the term "Social Justice Warrior" as a bigot's weapon was well established and anyone who uses it even then had the integrity of a wet paper towel. Here he is implying that he feels personally attacked by these articles, and because he feels like he personally does not fit the bill it must be that no one does. Never mind the point by XOJane about the actor-observer asymmetry/bias, which psychologists are not immune to. A careful reading of these blog posts proves that no one in particular is being singled out by Feministe, XOJane, or Hugo Schwyzer (who again started the conversation Feministe was participating in). Any excuse to feign offense, right? The Jezebel article and the defunct tumbler blog could be seen as singling people out, but the way he misrepresents the quotes the tumbler blog dragged up from actual OkCupid posts further cements that he is a priori dismissing the existence of Nice Guys being something more than just sad sacks with bad relationship luck. If they say shit that is clearly misogynist, the parsimonious conclusion is that they are some form of sexist asshole. It does not matter how they got that way.

There is also the entirety of his fourth section of the essay, where he tries to find the origin of the term "Nice Guy" as used by Feminists and recasts the term. To take another quote from him:
Jason Alexander wrote:People were coming up with reasons to mock and despise men who were sad about not being in relationships years before the manosphere even existed. These reasons were being posted on top feminist blogs for years without any reference whatsoever to the manosphere, probably because the people who wrote them were unaware of its existence or couldn’t imagine what it could possibly have to do with this subject? Feminism – the movement that was doing all this with no help from the manosphere – has twenty times the eyeballs and twenty times the discourse-setting power as the manosphere. And Barry thinks this is the manosphere’s fault? On the SSC “Things Feminists Should Not Be Able To Get Away With Blaming On The Manosphere” Scale, this is right up there with the postulated link between the men’s rights movement and Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.
The bolded text damns him. It indicates his opinion clearly: all Feminists were doing when they coined the term "Nice Guy" was mocking men with poor relationship histories, when he has presented no evidence for that conclusion. The sources he actually cites all indicate otherwise. We've already seen that none of them move the goalposts on their definition of a "Nice Guy."

Its also amusing that he talks about the "Manosphere" having 20 times less eyeballs than Feminist discussions, as if the Manosphere exists in a vacuum and not a society where male privilege is the norm. Its almost as if the "Nice Guy" phenomenon can exist without anyone giving it a name, or without the "Manosphere" discussing it in the same terms as Feminists do. But there I go again, finding more fallacies in his writing to comment on.

Literally half of the essay he writes is about how these poor misunderstood men could not possibly harbor sexist attitudes prior to being labeled "Nice Guys." Its a central claim to his essay, not my refutation of it.
4) Formless states that Alexander makes ad hominem attacks against another blogger, referred to as "Barry" as I recall.
I do claim this, but it isn't in any way a central point to my argument. I only include this accusation to say that his seventh and final part of the essay contains no relevant arguments to this discussion, and thus requires no refutation.

So I expect you won't waste your time on that. It isn't a central thesis to what I am saying.
5) Formless states that Alexander is misusing the psychiatric theory of Unconditional Positive Regard, applying it in a context where it is useless or counterproductive.
In fact, this is one of the central points I am trying to make, so good job catching on to this. Its not stated outright in his essay, but the assumptions underlying his essay about how these men should be handled and how they couldn't possibly be sexists to begin with are consistent with a Rogerian/Humanistic approach to psychology. The assumption in that psychology paradigm is that human beings are fundamentally good and able to change themselves for the better. The problem is, and always has been, that there are exceptions to that rule. Carl Rogers was an optimist, and that's great! His techniques have been found quite valuable in the therapist's office. Sometimes not even then. These men seem to suffer from an incongruence between expectation and reality, and their response to that is anti-social. Again, that requires a completely different approach to handling them which may at times be defensive (to avoid victimization) or confrontational (not necessarily hostile, but open shows of disapproval is known to sociologists and social psychologists to be a good way of reminding people of social norms). We can't change the experiences these men have had in the past, but we also can't change their dickishness by acting like it doesn't exist.

To use an analogy similar to the one Scott Alexander uses, there is a difference between someone who is hard working but can't seem to hold a job because of the unfairness of capitalism and someone who keeps getting fired because he keeps insulting his employers. It doesn't matter if the latter fellow is just as hard working, the problem with him really is internal and not external. The only way to get through to him is to tell him, look, your boss doesn't like it when you insult him. Its not enough to be a hard worker, you have to at least try to be nice with others to get what you want. Is telling someone that to their face confrontational? Technically yes, and the guy might find the experience unpleasant no matter how much you try and tell it to them softly. But its the only way he will learn

The especially juicy bit is the part where he talks about his client he calls "Henry" who has a history of domestic violence and then asks "how is it fair [that Henry can easily attract women and he couldn't as a teen]?" Which is just plain asking the wrong question. It isn't fair... that Henry beat up five of his own wives! Shouldn't we be concerned that this guy somehow keeps getting girlfriends who know he has a criminal history of domestic abuse? Should we really feel envy for someone like that? Fuck, I admit to being a virgin in my twenties, but that kind of person is not a role model! That's the whole point of the articles about "Nice Guys," especially the one by XOJane that he butchered. His question is super easy to answer, but brings his thesis crashing down. We should not look to Nice Guys as role models. Alex appears to think on some level, we should. Even Carl Rogers would find that sick.

Basically, what I'm saying is that Scott Alexander's arguments all stem from a narrow understanding of the world, informed only by a therapist's training when a sociological, anthropological, cognitive, and social psychological perspective is needed to fully understand the issue and address it properly. You can't narrow it down to "everybody is a victim of circumstance, but they are basically good people." I've heard from instructors in college who also do counseling that its hard to deal with these people even as a therapist, so they often end up bouncing from psychologist to psychologist. That's just the way the world works unfortunately. You can't help everyone.
6) Formless states that Alexander makes an argument that "Nice Guys" cannot exist because if they were only interested in sex, they would hire prostitutes; Formless then proceeds to respond to this at length.
I should note that this is really a sub-point to point 2. A detail. Feel free to talk about it, but do realize that it serves a larger purpose.
7) Formless states that Alexander is claiming that sex is a right; since this is manifestly untrue, Alexander is manifestly wrong.
This actually is a sub-point of the above point about misrepresentation. He literally says that love and companionship are as important as food, and that mere friendship isn't enough for some people (read: they NEED sex):
But maybe a less sarcastic response would be to point out Harry Harlow’s monkey studies. These studies [on infant macaque monkeys] – many of them so spectacularly unethical that they helped kickstart the modern lab-animals’-rights movement – included one in which monkeys were separated from their real mother and given a choice between two artifical “mothers” – a monkey-shaped piece of wire that provided milk but was cold and hard to the touch, and a soft cuddly cloth mother that provided no milk. The monkeys ended up “attaching” to the cloth mother and not the milk mother.

In other words – words that shouldn’t be surprising to anyone who has spent much time in a human body – companionship and warmth can be in some situations just as important as food and getting your more basic needs met. Friendship can meet some of that need, but for a lot of people it’s just not enough.

When your position commits you to saying “Love isn’t important to humans and we should demand people stop caring about whether or not they have it,” you need to take a really careful look in the mirror – assuming you even show up in one.
I can't read the bolded part without thinking less of him. I do not exaggerate when I say that this position, when taken to its logical conclusion, leads to rape apologism. Many of us here and in feminist circles know from hard experience.

Now, no one in the field will dispute the importance of these monkey studies, BUT these are infant monkeys we are talking about! NOT adult humans. The studies have little to do with sex, far more to do with what is now called "attachment theory." Its mostly important to developmental psychology rather than the psychology of sexuality and attraction, although we think your attachment patterns as a kid effect your relationship patterns as an adult (oh, by the way, that would also be a problem for his theory of how "Nice Guys" get radicalized, but hey). But no reputable psychologist or philosopher of law/ethics would agree with his assertion that warmth, affection and sex are equally important as food and other basic needs. Look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs for a moment: love and belonging are in the middle of the priorities list, while safety and physical needs are more urgent. In fact, everything above that in the hierarchy are things with low priority, and we don't even expect most people to reach the top of the pyramid in their lifetimes. Clearly, the safety of women trumps the need of men to be loved and validated. At least, if you subscribe to Maslow's theory. But then, even if not, why wouldn't safety trump love? Again, no one died from being rejected or told "you can't have sex with me". But many people have had their world's turned upside down by being sexually assaulted.

So basically, he's misinterpreting the research, quote-mining his sources, and strawmanning Feminism at large. How can an honest person possibly defend this crap? Oh, right. I am assuming you are also an honest person. My mistake:
Meanwhile, there is also a significant population of guys who actually are nice, or at least are no meaner and nastier than the average person. And who are not misogynistic, in any clearly definable sense of the term. But who lack the social skills to attract a mate or are otherwise unable to do so.
Simon, there are so many studies showing that the average person has unconscious or automatic biases, its not even funny. Racial biases, gender biases, its absolutely shocking how deep the problem of bigotry is in our society. What's more shocking is that the people who are most aware of their possible biases are also the people who score the highest on tests for unconscious bias, because of a sort of ironic processing phenomenon (don't think about pink elephants. You just thought of a pink elephant, didn't you?). What this means is, the average person who goes about their day in a funk unaware of the problems of society are also the people most likely to contribute to the problem. These are the people who crack sexist jokes without thinking, forgetting that it could cause offense even though they know better. These are the people who find it easy to court ladies, but when asked how they do it simply give platitudes that Nice Guys misunderstand (the distinction between the "women want a Bad Boy" meme and "women want a Confident Man" reality being an easy thing to confuse, for instance). THIS, and not feminist bullying, is the most likely and parsimonious way Nice Guys and racists actually get radicalized according to all available sociological and psychological evidence. We have very little evidence to go on that there even is a rout to misogyny and racism through interactions with Feminists and minority activists, but plenty of reason to think it is a smokescreen and an excuse that these people give themselves. Its hard to believe you can possibly be so stupid, Simon. But here we are. You can put a lot of words on the screen, but can't make a meaningful point with bad data.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

And by the way, I'm still waiting for Wild Zontargs to come to his own defense. Even You, Simon, admit he was trolling. It does no good for the forum if people get away with drive-by trolling.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

You know, Formless's points do remind me the importance of actually teaching teenagers about how healthy social relationship and biases works. It's not just an issue about teaching how consent works, but also something more basic like how a relationship should work.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Formless wrote: 2017-11-08 06:45pmAlso, have you actually read the essay by Alex, Simon?
Extensively, including much of the comment thread and errata, by coincidence- prior to this thread ever coming up.

However, I do not have the time or mental energy to engage you in a war of dueling quotes today, or earlier today. Too much work, more than enough stress. And I think I had a better chance of getting through to Flagg; we can see how well that went.

If and when I have the hours to burn arguing this with you, I'd want some kind of assurance you'd actually take my opinions seriously.

Because my concern is that if I step up to the plate on this one, I'll be met with a lot of selective listening and dismissal, in which case the discussion serves only to raise my blood pressure.

So, question: are you willing to apply the principle of charity and other comparable principles, as most worthwhile debaters do? Or should I just say "lol you think whatever you want" and forget all about this?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-11-08 06:28pm That was unexpectedly explosive.

Flagg, I accept that you're bailing out, if that's what you want, but I wish you wouldn't. I have a point that I think is getting bypassed, and it wasn't even about that Slate Star Codex post when I first made it.

You may recall that someone else posted that. I may think Formless is misrepresenting big chunks of what it says, but I'm not basing my argument ON it.
I don’t appreciate being called a bigot because I’m disagreeing with your opinion that despite spending years talking to people who fit a label quite well I should refrain from pointing out that they fit that label. I was polite enough not to point out that you are essentially selling out those of us marginalized and injured physically and/or psychologically by various odious elements of society by suggesting it’s our fault they exist because we don’t want to sit around touching each others buttholes.

In your zeal to save the poor downtrodden racists, misogynists, and creepo’s of all variety you seemingly ignored the fact that despite being repeatedly victimized by those entities I was willing to agree that those who seem to harbor some of those views shouldn’t just be attacked relentlessly and because I found an analogy made by a misogynist creep totally wrong and then described why using the very fucking terminology we’ve been discussing because it’s what we are all aware of, you say I’m engaging in bigotry.

There is literally no winning with you because you have this strange aversion to, well, losing. That’s why prior to this I’ve mentioned your tactic of burying your opponents in superfluous text. It’s an all too common tactic engaged in by those who think they are smarter than they are. Also, strangely, teachers.

Go figure. But if anyone wants to blame me for this (and I’m sure there are, I’m unpopular with the real dumb of which an elements clings to this board like a turd to a hyena’s ass), I didn’t call anyone a bigot.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Wild Zontargs
Padawan Learner

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Formless wrote: 2017-11-08 06:54pm And by the way, I'm still waiting for Wild Zontargs to come to his own defense. Even You, Simon, admit he was trolling. It does no good for the forum if people get away with drive-by trolling.
Since I am considered by some in this thread to be a troll, and accepted non-trolls are carrying the discussion in roughly the direction I was driving at, I see no reason to "shit up" the thread by inviting more drama involving myself, which would only derail the points I was hoping would be discussed. Carry on. :D
Доверяй, но проверяй
"Ugh. I hate agreeing with Zontargs." -- Alyrium Denryle
"What you are is abject human trash who is very good at dodging actual rule violations while still being human trash." -- Alyrium Denryle
iustitia socialis delenda est
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Wild Zontargs wrote: 2017-11-08 09:45pm
Formless wrote: 2017-11-08 06:54pm And by the way, I'm still waiting for Wild Zontargs to come to his own defense. Even You, Simon, admit he was trolling. It does no good for the forum if people get away with drive-by trolling.
Since I am considered by some in this thread to be a troll, and accepted non-trolls are carrying the discussion in roughly the direction I was driving at, I see no reason to "shit up" the thread by inviting more drama involving myself, which would only derail the points I was hoping would be discussed. Carry on. :D
AKA “Mission Accomplished” :finger:

I’d report this and again suggest this abortion of a thread be flushed down the toilet but apparently trolling is so hot right now.
:wanker:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Wild Zontargs wrote: 2017-11-08 09:45pm
What you are is abject human trash who is very good at dodging actual rule violations while still being human trash. This thread is locked until I have a chance to read through everything, flush what needs flushing, and otherwise cleanse the thread so an actual discussion can continue.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est