NSW Police bold new plan to increase crime rates

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Korto
Jedi Master

NSW Police bold new plan to increase crime rates

Post by Korto »

According to the Guardian, New South Wales police may be investigated for a secret 'Blacklist'.
The New South Wales law enforcement watchdog will consider investigating a “hidden” blacklist used by the state’s police force to target children as young as 10 for monitoring despite them not having committed any crime.
Details of the the secretive intelligence-gathering tool were revealed on Wednesday in a joint study by lawyers from the Public Interest Advocacy Centre and the University of New South Wales, which found it was used to target children as young as 10, was overwhelmingly aimed at Aboriginal people, and resulted in “oppressive policing”.
In one case, a 16-year-old who the report called Dean with a history of mostly minor graffiti-related offences, was stopped and searched 23 times in 10 months.

Police records justifying the searches included that he was wearing Nautica brand clothing, and that people who wear Nautica “are known to commit criminal damage”.

In another, what the author’s call “constant police harassment” of three siblings of Aboriginal heritage, led to one of the brothers appearing at the local police station “asking to be tasered and shot by police, asking ‘Why won’t you leave my family alone?’.”

In a third case, a 14-year-old from a regional NSW town who the report called Kieran, was stopped 28 times. During one search police found a small amount of cannabis in his underpants and he was charged with possession.
So continual harrassment of minors, making it plain we expect the worst of you, that you're just going to turn to crime, it's inevitable, we don't trust you, because you're a wrong-un'... Yeah, that seems a perfect way to create a well-adjusted, happy citizen. I wonder if they've ever heard the phrase "Self-fulfilling prophecy"? Or read the early history of Ned Kelly?

I particularly liked this:
But police wont reveal what criteria results in someone being placed on an STMP, and sample data from 10 Local Area Commands revealed the program “disproportionately targets” young people and Indigenous Australians.
When someone goes all Secret Squirrel on the critieria, it generally means that if we knew, we would laugh at them.

On a practical level, if they really believe that these people on the list pose a real and significant risk of turning criminal, maybe some kind of constructive intervention program would be in order?
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: NSW Police bold new plan to increase crime rates

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah; the example of Ned Kelly does seem instructive.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

*idly wonders if he was on the list as a child*
Korto wrote: 2017-10-27 07:45amOn a practical level, if they really believe that these people on the list pose a real and significant risk of turning criminal, maybe some kind of constructive intervention program would be in order?
Helping Indigenous people is hard. Arrests are easier and there's better funding for it.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Korto wrote: 2017-10-27 07:45am
Police records justifying the searches included that he was wearing Nautica brand clothing, and that people who wear Nautica “are known to commit criminal damage”.
what

I mean, what?
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"