US withdraws from UNESCO

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

US withdraws from UNESCO

Post by Thanas »

In what has just been the latest in a string of measures that might be described as mentally challenged beyond belief, the current US leadership has decided to withdraw from the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization.
Washington (CNN)The US is withdrawing from the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization, the US State Department announced on Thursday, citing anti-Israel bias and mounting membership dues owed to the international body.

The "Department of State notified UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova of the US decision to withdraw from the organization and to seek to establish a permanent observer mission to UNESCO," State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said.

"This decision was not taken lightly, and reflects US concerns with mounting arrears at UNESCO, the need for fundamental reform in the organization, and continuing anti-Israel bias at UNESCO," she added.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel is also planning to withdraw from the body, according to a statement from the Prime Minister's office.

In the statement, Netanyahu hailed the US move as a "courageous and moral decision." He said UNESCO had "turned into a theatre of the absurd; instead of preserving history, it twists it."

The US stopped paying dues to the international body in late 2011 after the agency voted to accept a Palestinian bid for full membership and now owes approximately $550 million, a State Department spokesperson said.

"The purpose of UNESCO is a good one," US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said in a statement. "Unfortunately, its extreme politicization has become a chronic embarrassment."

Haley called the decision to classify the Tomb of the Patriarchs as a UNESCO World Heritage Site "just the latest in a long line of foolish actions, which includes keeping Syrian dictator Bashar al Assad on a UNESCO human rights committee even after his murderous crackdown on peaceful protestors."

The Tomb of the Patriarchs, along with the Hebron's Old City, were designated as UNESCO World Heritage Sites in July, despite opposition from the United States and Israel. The site is regarded as sacred by Jews, Christians and Muslims. Israel has accused UNESCO of making a politically motivated move, part of what it says is an attempt to deny the Jewish character and heritage of certain key sites in the Holy Land.
United Nations Secretary General António Guterres expressed deep regret over the US decision to leave UNESCO, according to Deputy UN Spokesperson Farhan Haq.

The UN General Assembly President Miroslav Lajčák is also "concerned that the decision by the United States to withdraw could have adverse impacts upon the important work of UNESCO," according to a statement from his spokesperson.

UNESCO is a body of the United Nations that promotes international cooperation in education, science, culture and communication, though it is perhaps best known for its designation of "world heritage" sites -- locations with particular cultural significance.

It was founded in 1945 as allied countries "were looking for ways and means to reconstruct their systems of education once peace was restored" in the wake of World War II, according to the organization -- which currently has 195 members and eight associate members.

"Among other efforts, UNESCO is committed to building the capacity of various individuals and stakeholders to develop and amplify innovative responses against extremism; all while promoting the protection of freedom of expression, privacy and other fundamental freedoms," Bokova wrote in a CNN op-ed in September.

In a statement released via her official Twitter handle, Bokova called the withdrawal "a loss to UNESCO. This is a loss to the United Nations family. This is a loss for multilateralism."

She paid tribute to what she said had been a meaningful relationship between UNESCO and the US, saying: "since 2011, we have deepened the partnership between the United States and UNESCO, which has never been so meaningful. Together, we have worked to protect humanity's shared cultural heritage in the face of terrorist attacks and to prevent violent extremism through education and media literacy."

"At the time when the fight against violent extremism calls for renewed investment in education, in dialogue among cultures to prevent hatred, it is deeply regrettable that the United States should withdraw from the United Nations agency leading these issues," Bokova said in the statement.

"At the time when conflicts continue to tear apart societies across the world, it is deeply regrettable for the United States to withdraw from the United Nations agency promoting education for peace and protecting culture under attack," the statement said.
This is not surprising to the rest of the planet since it already thinks education, science and culture are things alien and threatening to most Americans anyway.

And yes, in case you are one of those americans who cannot think for themselves and struggle to put their pants on in the morning, I am fucking mad over the so-called "superpower" behaving like a toddler having a hissy fit.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: US withdraws from UNESCO

Post by mr friendly guy »

As I said before to another SDN member, I have become more philosophical over these things.

If they start rejecting some aspect of science, someone else in another part of the world will just do research in that area.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Just Donald being Donald, unfortunately. Not much more to say until the orange shit gets impeached or voted out or hit with the 25th. Amendment. Whichever comes first.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

The US stopped paying to and regularly participating in UNSECO in 2010.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Am I wrong here, but am I seeing the US making a highly political action while accusing UNESCO of doing just that?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I think we'll have to wait quite a long time for an action that isn't rank hypocrisy from this US administration, if such a thing should even occur.
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Zixinus wrote: 2017-10-15 07:47am Am I wrong here, but am I seeing the US making a highly political action while accusing UNESCO of doing just that?
As far as I can tell the US/Israel actually appears
to be accusing UNESCO of not politicizing these sites enough - i.e acknowledging the impact of cultures other than the specific ones they want acknowledged.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

streetad wrote: 2017-10-15 03:27pm
Zixinus wrote: 2017-10-15 07:47amAm I wrong here, but am I seeing the US making a highly political action while accusing UNESCO of doing just that?
As far as I can tell the US/Israel actually appears
to be accusing UNESCO of not politicizing these sites enough - i.e acknowledging the impact of cultures other than the specific ones they want acknowledged.
Insofar as "acknowledging the impact of cultures" becomes a zero sum game in which more recognition for Culture A's connection to a site means less for Culture B...

I think it's incredibly unproductive to debate "are you recognizing Culture A too much, or not enough, or exactly enough?" Consensus on that would only build over very long periods of time, and it's exactly the kind of political debate that causes people's brains to shut down. Because it turns into a proxy for questions like "do you overall approve or do you overall disapprove of Israel, Y/N?"

What's frustrating here is that this turns into a pretext for ignoring an organization with a valuable global mission, one that needs support if humanity as a whole is not to lose its cultural and historical heritage, over one specific region.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-10-17 03:20am I think it's incredibly unproductive to debate "are you recognizing Culture A too much, or not enough, or exactly enough?" Consensus on that would only build over very long periods of time, and it's exactly the kind of political debate that causes people's brains to shut down. Because it turns into a proxy for questions like "do you overall approve or do you overall disapprove of Israel, Y/N?"
UNESCO as a whole has largely followed the scientific and expert consensus. They are as good to an apolitical organization as we are going to get. For the USA to just go "we're sorry you are not following our orders enough" is just....ugh.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote: 2017-10-17 07:26am
Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-10-17 03:20am I think it's incredibly unproductive to debate "are you recognizing Culture A too much, or not enough, or exactly enough?" Consensus on that would only build over very long periods of time, and it's exactly the kind of political debate that causes people's brains to shut down. Because it turns into a proxy for questions like "do you overall approve or do you overall disapprove of Israel, Y/N?"
UNESCO as a whole has largely followed the scientific and expert consensus. They are as good to an apolitical organization as we are going to get. For the USA to just go "we're sorry you are not following our orders enough" is just....ugh.*
The word you’re looking for is “honest”. It’s a dick move of epic proportions but I’d wager a majority of Americans if asked either wouldn’t give a fuck or would agree with it. But you’d have to tell them what UNESCO is. :banghead:

*Bolding, mine.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I wonder what percentage of people worldwide know what UNESCO is without prompting?
Thanas wrote: 2017-10-17 07:26am
Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-10-17 03:20amI think it's incredibly unproductive to debate "are you recognizing Culture A too much, or not enough, or exactly enough?" Consensus on that would only build over very long periods of time, and it's exactly the kind of political debate that causes people's brains to shut down. Because it turns into a proxy for questions like "do you overall approve or do you overall disapprove of Israel, Y/N?"
UNESCO as a whole has largely followed the scientific and expert consensus. They are as good to an apolitical organization as we are going to get. For the USA to just go "we're sorry you are not following our orders enough" is just....ugh.
Sort of.

I mean, I could get disagreeing with them over a specific area or the treatment of a specific site. Even if the majority of experts agree that access to a site should be balanced according to Principle X, that doesn't mean you can't have decent people who in good faith believe the experts are wrong, or systematically ignoring something important, and that Principle Y would be better. Disagreeing with the experts is not unethical or contemptible in and of itself.

But to then take that and say "we will completely withdraw from all involvement with the experts in general because fuck them" is gibbering insanity.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-10-18 02:48am I wonder what percentage of people worldwide know what UNESCO is without prompting?
Well I’d wager it’s probably higher than in the US where world news is regularly ignored by most headline news outlets.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

We can certainly wager, but I wish I knew.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Everybody in Europe with any sort of education knows Unesco because the whole place is littered with those UNESCO heritage sites which are all heavily promoted with big huge signs for tourism purposes.

The same is true for at least Syria and northern africa according to anecdotal evidence from acquintances and friends.
------------
------------
My LPs
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-10-18 02:48amDisagreeing with the experts is not unethical or contemptible in and of itself.

But to then take that and say "we will completely withdraw from all involvement with the experts in general because fuck them" is gibbering insanity.
The Trump administration in a nutshell. Too long for a bumper-sticker, though.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I dunno. 'The Trump maladministration in a nutshell-gibbering insanity' should fit nicely.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote: 2017-10-18 07:16am Everybody in Europe with any sort of education knows Unesco because the whole place is littered with those UNESCO heritage sites which are all heavily promoted with big huge signs for tourism purposes.

The same is true for at least Syria and northern africa according to anecdotal evidence from acquintances and friends.
I think almost everyone with a bit of education knows about UNESCO and world heritage. You can't travel just a tiny bit and not run into one of these "world heritage" sites, not in Europe, neither elsewhere.

Then again, many of the US citizens I've met hardly travel outside their suburb. Ever. Even the White House and Capitol don't warrant a visit despite being 50 km away, because, well, they're on TV. So there's that.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Titan Uranus
Padawan Learner

Post by Titan Uranus »

You can travel all over the US and never run into a UNESCO site. The US only has 23 total, 12 of which are national parks.

For comparison Western Europe (defined as Uk, Ireland, France, Benelux, Switzerland, Germany, and Austria on the map I’m using) alone has 131.

Of course far fewer Americans run into UNESCO sites than Europeans, or other nations in general. Just look at UNESCO’s world map of sites. Except for non-European Russia and the Sahara, North America has the lowest density of UNESCO sites in the world.

Whereas Europe has enough sites for 1 per town with 30000+ inhabitants. But I’m sure the difference in awareness has nothing to do with that, it must be down to American degeneracy.