Harvey Weinstein: fall of Hollywood player they once called ‘God’

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: Harvey Weinstein: fall of Hollywood player they once called ‘God’

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Lonestar wrote: 2017-11-30 01:29pm Oh no not Garrison Keilor too
The man has the Sexuality of a dry potato. If ever there was a single individual I would defend from such accusations it would be Garrison.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Brett Ratner is in the firing line too- rumours have it Gadot won't appear as WW any more if he's involved.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Good on her for issuing the ultimatum.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Harvey Weinstein has appeared in court charged with rape and sexual abuse - after the disgraced movie mogul handed himself into police.
The former film producer arrived at a police station in New York on Friday, where he was charged, handcuffed and taken to court.
Having been granted $1 million bail, the 66-year-old's lawyer indicated that Weinstein would be pleading not guilty to the charges, which relate to two complainants.
His lawyer described the charges as "constitutionally flawed", adding that Weinstein "vehemently denied" the allegations.
Weinstein's court appearance comes in the wake of assault allegations from several women.
But the charges of rape, criminal sex act, sex abuse and sexual misconduct relate to incidents involving just two women.
A throng of photographers awaited Weinstein, dressed in a black blazer and blue jumper, throughout the day.
Harvey Weinstein appears in court on rape and sex assault charges.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Excellent. Its nice to see that the rich and powerful aren't always immune to justice.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Guilty.
Harvey Weinstein has been found guilty of rape in the third degree but cleared of the most serious charges of predatory sexual assault at his trial in New York.

The allegations sparked the MeToo movement against sexual harassment and abuse and dozens of women made accusations against the disgraced film mogul.

The 67-year-old was found guilty of a criminal sex act for assaulting production assistant Mimi Haleyi at his apartment in 2006 and third-degree rape of a woman in 2013.

Following the verdicts, New York County District Attorney, Cyrus Vance, described Weinstein as a "vicious, serial sexual predator".

The trial was the first criminal case to arise from a barrage of allegations against Weinstein from more than 90 women, including actresses Gwyneth Paltrow, Salma Hayek and Uma Thurman.

The jury of seven men and five women took five days to find him guilty.

The case against the once-feared producer was essentially built on three allegations: that he raped an aspiring actress in a New York City hotel room in 2013, that he forcibly performed oral sex on another woman at his apartment in 2006, and that he raped and forcibly performed oral sex on another actress in her apartment in the mid-1990s.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

but cleared of the most serious charges of predatory sexual assault at his trial in New York.
Because of fucking COURSE he was.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

What is difference between rape of the third degree, as opposed to rape of the first or second degrees?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-02-24 07:03pm What is difference between rape of the third degree, as opposed to rape of the first or second degrees?
First is distinguished from third in New York law by the element of "forcible compulsion." Second degree is distinguished from third degree by lack of capacity to consent for a variety of reasons.

Essentially the verdict states that the prosecution proved beyond reasonable doubt that there was a rape but they hadn't made the case for the level of force to find first degree rape. This kind of compromise difference splitting is very common by juries in sexual assault cases and is in some degree to be expected even if it suggests contorted logic to get there. Its not that hard for a prosecutor to make back some of the ground on sentencing (sentencing isn't limited to the facts of case established by the verdict) though, so getting any kind of conviction is typically a win on the balance for them.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Surprised but glad he was convicted, sad it wasn't on all counts, hope they give him the harshest sentence they can and he doesn't worm his way off the hook on appeal.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Wasn't there something about California now filing charges against him?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I believe so. I think there are alot more pending charges against him, as everyone was waiting to see If/How strongly he was nailed by New York State. If he'd been convicted on all counts, the odds of him ever being released were pretty low (he's 67 years old). That would make prosecuting him "not cost-effective". Shitty, I know, but you have to pick your battles.

However, since he wasn't convicted on all counts, other districts may be filing charges, in hopes of keeping him behind bars for the rest of his natural life.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-02-24 07:03pm What is difference between rape of the third degree, as opposed to rape of the first or second degrees?
1st = violent force
2nd = unable to resist (e.g too drunk/drugged)
3rd = extorted to comply
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

(Note: All legal terms in qoute marks)
Given who is 'alleging' Mr. Weinstein committed these acts (re: Actresses that could fall under his employ, or whos employment he could negatively impact), 3rd degree Sexual Assault would be the easiest to prove and argue for.

Violent force would be difficult to prove without medical examination very soon after the assault.
Unable to resist would also be difficult to prove without medical examination.

However 'Major producer, he told me either I blow him or my career would be garbage'. That doesn't need medical examination.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

He's been sentenced to 23 years in prison.

Link.
He was found guilty in a trial in New York last month, a dramatic fall from grace for one of Hollywood's most powerful figures.

The 67-year-old appeared in court on Wednesday in a wheelchair.

His lawyers had appealed for leniency, saying even the minimum sentence of five years could be a "life sentence".

But prosecutors argued Weinstein should be given the maximum possible sentence given his "lifetime of abuse" towards women and "lack of remorse" for his actions.

Weinstein addressed the court for the first time on Wednesday, saying he had "deep remorse" but described him and other men as "totally confused" by events in comments seen as critical to the #MeToo movement.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Given his apparent health problems, how long is he likely to survive in prison ?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Probably not long.

Also, given what he did....
There are probably inmates in there that have a fascination with one or more of the women that accused him, and may decide to 'Avenge' her.

I'd be surprised if he makes the 5 years his lawyers requested.

Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

I believe I mentioned above that the prosecution would make up the lost ground on not getting all the charges proven on sentencing.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-03-11 05:19pm Given his apparent health problems, how long is he likely to survive in prison ?
Depends on whether they put him in Jeffrey Epstein's cell -you know, the one with the "defective surveillance"?
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

And "God" has apparently tested positive for the coronavirus.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/jailed-ha ... rus-report
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-03-22 08:29pm And "God" has apparently tested positive for the coronavirus.
Well, given his age and ill-health, his odds of serving a lengthy prison sentence aren't terribly great.

On a darker note, this thing is going to go through prison populations like wildfire.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-23 06:29am
mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-03-22 08:29pm And "God" has apparently tested positive for the coronavirus.
Well, given his age and ill-health, his odds of serving a lengthy prison sentence aren't terribly great.

On a darker note, this thing is going to go through prison populations like wildfire.
Tough from what I've heard dying from the Corona virus isn't gonna be a mercy either.

And honestly I'm not all surpriced that corona virus is spreading thru the US prison population like wildfire, I mean you got massive amounts of people in confined spaces who are essentially robed of their human rights and thus probably aren't even on the list of "people to be treated/isolated in case of a corona infection"
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I can imagine how quickly the Corona virus would take down a prison population to. It's not like they have high care bed capacity.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Solauren wrote: 2020-03-24 10:00pm I can imagine how quickly the Corona virus would take down a prison population to. It's not like they have high care bed capacity.
Yeah.

The worst is going to be Trump's immigrant concentration camps. Dozens of people packed into a tiny cage together, with people already dying from harsh conditions and lack of medical care? You think Trump, who won't even act to help US cities, is going to lift a finger to help them? Thousands will die there. Which will be used as "proof" that migrants are bringing it over the border, so we have to lock them all up...

Which I would argue qualifies as a genocide. Remember that a lot of the victims of the Holocaust didn't die in gas chambers- they died of overwork, exposure, malnutrition, and yes, diseases (including Anne Frank). We still count those deaths as part of the genocide, because the Nazis created those conditions deliberately. Likewise, we count the famine deaths in the Ukraine against Stalin. And we'll have to count the coronavirus deaths, especially in prisons and concentration camps, against the Trump Regime.