Transport For London refuses to renew Uber's operating license

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Transport For London refuses to renew Uber's operating license

Post by Zaune »

BBC News
Uber will not be issued a new private hire licence, Transport for London (TfL) has said.

TfL concluded the ride-hailing app firm was not fit and proper to hold a London private hire operator licence.

It said it took the decision on the grounds of "public safety and security implications".

Confirming it would appeal against the decision, Uber said it showed the world "far from being open, London is closed to innovative companies".

Some 3.5 million passengers and 40,000 drivers use the Uber app in London.

In a statement, Uber said: "Transport for London and the mayor have caved in to a small number of people who want to restrict consumer choice."

Uber's general manager in London Tom Elvidge said: "To defend the livelihoods of all those drivers, and the consumer choice of millions of Londoners who use our app, we intend to immediately challenge this in the courts."

He said Uber operated in more than 600 cities around the world, including more than 40 towns and cities in the UK.

TfL's concerns include Uber's approach to carrying out background checks on drivers and reporting serious criminal offences.

There had been growing speculation that the app could be banned from London.

Opponents of the firm claim it causes gridlocked roads and does not do enough to regulate its drivers.

One driver with Uber in London said: "I don't think it is a fair decision. Uber offers a flexible schedule, and a weekly income."

Analysis: From BBC technology correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones

Throughout its short, tempestuous life, Uber has clashed with regulators around the world - and more often than not it has come out on top.

Its tactic has often been to arrive in a city, break a few rules, and then apologise when it's rapped over the knuckles. Some regulators have backed down, others have run the company out of town.

In London, despite protests from angry taxi drivers, the company has had a relatively easy ride until now.

But a wave of bad publicity about its corporate culture, its lax attitude to checks on its drivers and its treatment of this freelance army seems to have spurred TfL into action.

Make no mistake, Uber will use every legal avenue to fight this ban. It will argue that consumers, in the shape of the millions of mainly young Londoners who rely on its service, will be seriously let down if it can no longer operate.

But the courts will have to balance that with the serious concerns about public safety raised by TfL.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said in a statement: "I fully support TfL's decision - it would be wrong if TfL continued to license Uber if there is any way that this could pose a threat to Londoners' safety and security.

"Any operator of private hire services in London needs to play by the rules."

Across the world, Uber has been pushed out or denied access by local licensing laws.

Legislators in Darwin, in Australia's Northern Territory, are debating whether to allow Uber to return after a raft of reforms designed to open up the ride-sharing market were announced.

Uber is currently fighting a test case in Denmark after four if its drivers were found to be in violation of the country's laws requiring taxi meters.

General secretary of the Licensed Taxi Drivers' Association Steve McNamara said it was the "right call" not to re-license Uber in London.

"We expect Uber will again embark on a spurious legal challenge against the mayor and TfL, and we will urge the court to uphold this decision," he said.

"This immoral company has no place on London's streets."

Labour MP Wes Streeting, chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Taxis, said: "This is a courageous decision by the mayor and Transport for London.

"It finally draws a line in the sand to make it clear that no company, however big and powerful, will be allowed to flout our laws and regulations or jeopardise Londoners' safety without facing serious consequences."

However, David Leam, of London First which campaigns for business in the capital, said London needed to be open to new ideas, business and services.

He said: "This will be seen as a Luddite decision by millions of Londoners and international visitors who use Uber, and will also hit London's reputation as a global tech hub."

James Farrar, chairman of the Independent Workers' Union of Great Britain's United Private Hire Drivers branch, said: "This is a devastating blow for 30,000 Londoners who now face losing their job and being saddled with unmanageable vehicle-related debt.

"To strip Uber of its licence after five years of laissez-faire regulation is a testament to a systemic failure at TfL."

Uber has 21 days to appeal TfL's decision.
And good bloody riddance. TfL aren't asking anything particularly unreasonable of Uber; all they have to do is run a background check to make sure their drivers haven't done time for rape or drunken driving, and require a letter from their GP certifying them as having no medical conditions that could inhibit their ability to do the job. Uber have not bothered doing either, and supposedly have also not bothered to file a police report after receiving an allegation that one of their drivers indecently assaulted a passenger.

Every other minicab firm in London manages to comply with these rules and still make money, and has done since the business model was first thought up in the 1960s. (Have I mentioned the fact that Uber are nowhere near as groundbreaking as they pretend to be? Because they aren't.)
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: Transport For London refuses to renew Uber's operating license

Post by Flagg »

Poor Uber. I’m playing the smallest violin. I’m just surprised they have enough morons to use it since it’s not unheard of for passengers and drivers both suffering rapes, murders, and robberies. I also think “ridesharing” should be classified legally as a taxi service since it sounds too much like carpooling, which should be encouraged.

It would give me a smile to see cops pull over and ticket every idiot who “gets their side male prostitute hustle on” and has a tag saying such on their moms car. And make it one where their insurance company is notified.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Zaune wrote: 2017-09-22 10:20am BBC News
Uber will not be issued a new private hire licence, Transport for London (TfL) has said.

TfL concluded the ride-hailing app firm was not fit and proper to hold a London private hire operator licence.

It said it took the decision on the grounds of "public safety and security implications".

Confirming it would appeal against the decision, Uber said it showed the world "far from being open, London is closed to innovative companies".

Some 3.5 million passengers and 40,000 drivers use the Uber app in London.

In a statement, Uber said: "Transport for London and the mayor have caved in to a small number of people who want to restrict consumer choice."

Uber's general manager in London Tom Elvidge said: "To defend the livelihoods of all those drivers, and the consumer choice of millions of Londoners who use our app, we intend to immediately challenge this in the courts."

He said Uber operated in more than 600 cities around the world, including more than 40 towns and cities in the UK.

TfL's concerns include Uber's approach to carrying out background checks on drivers and reporting serious criminal offences.

There had been growing speculation that the app could be banned from London.

Opponents of the firm claim it causes gridlocked roads and does not do enough to regulate its drivers.

One driver with Uber in London said: "I don't think it is a fair decision. Uber offers a flexible schedule, and a weekly income."

Analysis: From BBC technology correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones

Throughout its short, tempestuous life, Uber has clashed with regulators around the world - and more often than not it has come out on top.

Its tactic has often been to arrive in a city, break a few rules, and then apologise when it's rapped over the knuckles. Some regulators have backed down, others have run the company out of town.

In London, despite protests from angry taxi drivers, the company has had a relatively easy ride until now.

But a wave of bad publicity about its corporate culture, its lax attitude to checks on its drivers and its treatment of this freelance army seems to have spurred TfL into action.

Make no mistake, Uber will use every legal avenue to fight this ban. It will argue that consumers, in the shape of the millions of mainly young Londoners who rely on its service, will be seriously let down if it can no longer operate.

But the courts will have to balance that with the serious concerns about public safety raised by TfL.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said in a statement: "I fully support TfL's decision - it would be wrong if TfL continued to license Uber if there is any way that this could pose a threat to Londoners' safety and security.

"Any operator of private hire services in London needs to play by the rules."

Across the world, Uber has been pushed out or denied access by local licensing laws.

Legislators in Darwin, in Australia's Northern Territory, are debating whether to allow Uber to return after a raft of reforms designed to open up the ride-sharing market were announced.

Uber is currently fighting a test case in Denmark after four if its drivers were found to be in violation of the country's laws requiring taxi meters.

General secretary of the Licensed Taxi Drivers' Association Steve McNamara said it was the "right call" not to re-license Uber in London.

"We expect Uber will again embark on a spurious legal challenge against the mayor and TfL, and we will urge the court to uphold this decision," he said.

"This immoral company has no place on London's streets."

Labour MP Wes Streeting, chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Taxis, said: "This is a courageous decision by the mayor and Transport for London.

"It finally draws a line in the sand to make it clear that no company, however big and powerful, will be allowed to flout our laws and regulations or jeopardise Londoners' safety without facing serious consequences."

However, David Leam, of London First which campaigns for business in the capital, said London needed to be open to new ideas, business and services.

He said: "This will be seen as a Luddite decision by millions of Londoners and international visitors who use Uber, and will also hit London's reputation as a global tech hub."

James Farrar, chairman of the Independent Workers' Union of Great Britain's United Private Hire Drivers branch, said: "This is a devastating blow for 30,000 Londoners who now face losing their job and being saddled with unmanageable vehicle-related debt.

"To strip Uber of its licence after five years of laissez-faire regulation is a testament to a systemic failure at TfL."

Uber has 21 days to appeal TfL's decision.
And good bloody riddance. TfL aren't asking anything particularly unreasonable of Uber; all they have to do is run a background check to make sure their drivers haven't done time for rape or drunken driving, and require a letter from their GP certifying them as having no medical conditions that could inhibit their ability to do the job. Uber have not bothered doing either, and supposedly have also not bothered to file a police report after receiving an allegation that one of their drivers indecently assaulted a passenger.

Every other minicab firm in London manages to comply with these rules and still make money, and has done since the business model was first thought up in the 1960s. (Have I mentioned the fact that Uber are nowhere near as groundbreaking as they pretend to be? Because they aren't.)
It really is ridiculous that these companies have been allowed to exist for as long as they have.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Er, by "these companies" you mean Uber and similar ones?
Flagg wrote: 2017-09-22 05:37pm Poor Uber. I’m playing the smallest violin. I’m just surprised they have enough morons to use it since it’s not unheard of for passengers and drivers both suffering rapes, murders, and robberies. I also think “ridesharing” should be classified legally as a taxi service since it sounds too much like carpooling, which should be encouraged.
Walks like a taxi, quacks like a taxi, looks like a taxi, it's a taxi.

As to the morons, frankly a lot of people tend to just blindly do whatever is cheapest and completely ignore the risk of bad things happening, as long as the bad things haven't happened to anyone in their monkeysphere. Which is arguably no worse than the other common behavior of grossly exaggerating dangers.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-09-23 04:13amAs to the morons, frankly a lot of people tend to just blindly do whatever is cheapest and completely ignore the risk of bad things happening, as long as the bad things haven't happened to anyone in their monkeysphere. Which is arguably no worse than the other common behavior of grossly exaggerating dangers.
If Uber, Lyft, etc want to follow the same regulations that I have to while undercutting me on the charge, more power to them. Also, they sometimes charge more than us at times like last call, and the drunks don't realize it until they get the bill, which is completely illegal for me to do. I had a guy insist to me tonight that Uber would be cheaper because they charged him five bucks on the way downtown compared to the nine I estimated, until I had him look at it closely and he realized they were now charging twice as much as me because it was 1:45am on a Friday.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I need to point out that Taxis in London is really not cheap by any means. So those in London that aren't as rich would tend to resort to Uber if they need to use a much quicker/less hassle way of transport than the tube or bus. (Carrying really heavy stuff on the Tube isn't really practical as most stations don't have escalators and etc).
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Are traditional taxis perfect? Of course not. Neither is having your own car, walking, biking, taking a bus or train.... When I lived in Chicago I took taxis from time to time and maybe had two guys who tried to overcharge me. The rest were just working joes (and janes) doing a decent job, making a living and getting me where I needed to go.

Uber and Lyft are taxi services, regardless of what they say. They should have to adhere to the same safety and background checks as any other taxi. They shouldn't exploit people, even people willing to be exploited.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Yeah, they definitely should obey the same safety and background checks standards that applied to other Taxi companies. I just don't find the need to cheer about the demise of Uber in London because there are people that are unable to afford a necessary taxi ride over there. Neither is it affordable to drive in London itself due to the congestion charge.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The thing is, it was time to take another look at how taxi services run, how they are dispatched, and so forth and to some extent Uber has been good. To some extent. Likewise, the whole "gig" economy thing does serve a need, and as a side job, an occasional way to make a buck, and done right it can be a good thing but if you have tens of thousands in a city trying to make a living that way, with a race to the bottom on wages, it will only end in tears. There are only so many drivers needed, only so many delivery people.

The problem, as is the case so often, is in taking things to extremes.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

And they're not banished forevermore anyway; all they've got to do is overhaul their hiring policies to comply with the regulations and they can reapply. Nor is Uber the only non-black cab option in the whole city: There are dozens if not hundreds of private-hire firms who can take up the slack. Not to mention the fact that London has a public transport system the rest of the country can only dream about.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Broomstick wrote: 2017-09-23 11:45am The thing is, it was time to take another look at how taxi services run, how they are dispatched, and so forth and to some extent Uber has been good. To some extent. Likewise, the whole "gig" economy thing does serve a need, and as a side job, an occasional way to make a buck, and done right it can be a good thing but if you have tens of thousands in a city trying to make a living that way, with a race to the bottom on wages, it will only end in tears. There are only so many drivers needed, only so many delivery people.

Perhaps it will be better to not turn Uber into another Taxi company? The need it serves is different from a standard Taxi ride. You might want to limit the working hours of Uber drivers, to ensure that this is a side job and remain as such.

Uber will probably be helpful in ensuring people can find suitable alternative transport, and for people who are able/willing to pick others up on their way home to earn back their fuel cost and etc. Ride-sharing that allows strangers to share a car to ensure it is full is slightly more environmental in a way and is a more efficient way to use a car.

The problem is when the company like Uber becomes too greedy and want to turn their industry into another Taxi Company without the regulation of a Taxi company.
Zaune wrote: 2017-09-23 11:52am And they're not banished forevermore anyway; all they've got to do is overhaul their hiring policies to comply with the regulations and they can reapply. Nor is Uber the only non-black cab option in the whole city: There are dozens if not hundreds of private-hire firms who can take up the slack. Not to mention the fact that London has a public transport system the rest of the country can only dream about.
A public transport system that is utterly unfriendly to those that have difficulty walking, and private-hire firms that cost just as much, if not more than taxis?
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

ray245 wrote: 2017-09-23 11:54amA public transport system that is utterly unfriendly to those that have difficulty walking, and private-hire firms that cost just as much, if not more than taxis?
You think Uber are appreciably cheaper, at least at peak times? One of the many rules they think they can ignore because they're a ridesharing service (which is totally different from a cab company, honest) are the minimum and maximum prices per mile that are set by the county. And I doubt they have all that many wheelchair-accessible vehicles in their fleet, either.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

So what exactly is the rate of various assaults for Uber/Lyft/whatever compared to drivers employed/trips provides/hours of transport? I bet it will compare favorably with other professions.

If I believed for a second there was some special sinister circumstances regarding taxis that required all this extra background checking over literally hundreds of other professions that are just as capable of abusing their positions to the same extent that would be one thing. And GP certifications? If we don't do that for all drivers period, whats the reason to do it for Uber divers? The reality is that these are all excuses. The regulations might be burdens on individual taxi drivers and fariness is certainly an issue there, but the Taxi companies don't support these regulations because of any benefit to the customer. It allows them to operate monopolies and cartels and freeze out competition.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Wrong button...
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-09-23 04:13am Er, by "these companies" you mean Uber and similar ones?
Flagg wrote: 2017-09-22 05:37pm Poor Uber. I’m playing the smallest violin. I’m just surprised they have enough morons to use it since it’s not unheard of for passengers and drivers both suffering rapes, murders, and robberies. I also think “ridesharing” should be classified legally as a taxi service since it sounds too much like carpooling, which should be encouraged.
Walks like a taxi, quacks like a taxi, looks like a taxi, it's a taxi.

As to the morons, frankly a lot of people tend to just blindly do whatever is cheapest and completely ignore the risk of bad things happening, as long as the bad things haven't happened to anyone in their monkeysphere. Which is arguably no worse than the other common behavior of grossly exaggerating dangers.
Yeah Uber, Lyft, and other companies trying to skirt the regulations every other taxi company must follow.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Why not just get rid of the regulations for the taxis, or at least relax them significantly? Is there some epidemic of taxi related catastrophes before I was alive that necessitates all this? Something statistically relevant?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Patroklos wrote: 2017-09-23 02:04pm Why not just get rid of the regulations for the taxis, or at least relax them significantly? Is there some epidemic of taxi related catastrophes before I was alive that necessitates all this? Something statistically relevant?
No, I’m pointing out that licensed taxi drivers are required to submit to a background check, be a good driver, and plenty of other shit as opposed to ordering a sticker in the mail and commit insurance fraud.

And Simon pointed out the the thread about morons who tried to Uber full time exactly why we have the system we do. A system that works rather well, BTW.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

I snipped a bit, mostly due to conversation in that thread that isn’t relevant to this thread. Hope you don’t mind, Simon
Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-07-16 09:34pm I've heard that in New York City, Mayor Bloomberg went up against Uber some years ago perhaps to deal with this very issue, because New York has prior experience with this problem. This is exactly what happened during the Depression. It is why the medallion system for taxis and its city-based semi-monopolies were founded in the first place!

During the depression, huge numbers of people who had no assets of value except their cars, and who were unable to find work (and quite possibly homeless), took to the streets trying to work as taxi drivers. Consequently, the streets were choked with traffic and taxi fares dropped in accordance with the free market, to the point where no one could possibly make a living at it. Eventually, just to make sure someone was actually benefiting from the situation, and to prevent gridlock in the streets, the city stepped in and artificially limited the supply of taxi drivers.

You can argue that this is exploitation of the customers... but bluntly, the alternative is having thousands of homeless people who have nowhere else to go and nothing to lose "racing to the bottom", wearing out their cars, wearing out themselves driving twelve and fourteen hour days, getting into accidents that their insurance will sooner or later stop covering because it's ordinary personal insurance and not commercial insurance.

And unlike the Depression era, there's a middleman in a position to skim off the savings that otherwise go to the consumer at the expense of the impoverished would-be taxi drivers. Namely, Uber. They can find the most desperate drivers in an area, the ones willing to work not for thirty dollars an hour but for twenty, fifteen, ten, in hopes of making ends meet somehow... While only passing a fraction of those cost savings on to the consumer.

There is no virtue in this, not even the virtue of efficiency. There is only the enrichment of Uber's owners, at the expense of both the welfare of the workers and the welfare of consumers.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Broomstick wrote: 2017-09-23 11:45amThe thing is, it was time to take another look at how taxi services run, how they are dispatched, and so forth and to some extent Uber has been good. To some extent. Likewise, the whole "gig" economy thing does serve a need, and as a side job, an occasional way to make a buck, and done right it can be a good thing but if you have tens of thousands in a city trying to make a living that way, with a race to the bottom on wages, it will only end in tears. There are only so many drivers needed, only so many delivery people.

Yes. The taxi medallion system in the US (and presumably its British equivalent) were instituted precisely to prevent this problem. Because even without cell phone apps, you can still get a situation where taxi driving becomes 'gig-ified.' And where increasingly financially desperate people try to parlay their 'gig' into a living wage because they have no other job to fall back on.

That already happened. For example in Depression-era New York. With hordes of unemployed people who took their cars roaming the streets all day long, in hopes of picking up a little spare change by taxi-ing someone. LaGuardia and the city government of his era instituted the medallions to limit the supply of taxi drivers, precisely so that each individual taxi driver could hope to make a living.
ray245 wrote: 2017-09-23 11:54amPerhaps it will be better to not turn Uber into another Taxi company? The need it serves is different from a standard Taxi ride. You might want to limit the working hours of Uber drivers, to ensure that this is a side job and remain as such.

Uber will probably be helpful in ensuring people can find suitable alternative transport, and for people who are able/willing to pick others up on their way home to earn back their fuel cost and etc. Ride-sharing that allows strangers to share a car to ensure it is full is slightly more environmental in a way and is a more efficient way to use a car.

The problem is when the company like Uber becomes too greedy and want to turn their industry into another Taxi Company without the regulation of a Taxi company.
"A hypothetical ride-sharing company like Uber" might need different regulations from the rest of the taxi industry, you're right.

The problem is that the specific, actual corporation Uber doesn't want to acknowledge this. It wants to follow, not a different set of rules, but NO set of rules. It wants to ignore the rules it is financially convenient for Uber to ignore, not the rules it makes sense for "a hypothetical ride-sharing company" to be allowed to ignore.

For example, Uber doesn't want its drivers to have to pay commercial insurance and doesn't want to do background checks on its drivers. This is because doing those things is expensive.

However, the more hours a given Uber driver works, the more unsustainable that is for everyone else. Uber drivers not having commercial insurance means that even though they drive far more heavily and get into proportionately more accidents than other drivers, while paying the same insurance rates as ordinary motorists. In short, it's a form of insurance fraud. Likewise, Uber doesn't want to do background checks, but as an individual Uber driver starts driving more and more hours, if that driver is a person with criminal intent, the risk of Uber customers being exposed to dangerous criminals via Uber increases.

So the general public has a strong incentive to demand regulation of Uber, and many of these regulations parallel or overlap with the ones on a regular taxi company. However, Uber's basic business model consists of screaming about how they're a trendy little oppressed multi-billion-dollar multinational corporation. One that is being cruelly blocked by outdated 20th century regulatory systems designed to give a monopoly to the big bad taxi companies.

Given the sheer size and profitability Uber is showing, I have very little sympathy for this. This isn't a small driving co-op that exists to coordinate carpooling. It's a taxi company, and its executives KNOW they are running a taxi company. They're even already working on the next step for their company, which is to introduce robotic taxis.

But given that they are, in fact, an international corporation trying to leverage their app and brand name into a global taxi company... They should damn well be able to follow the same laws that local corporations doing the same thing have to follow.
A public transport system that is utterly unfriendly to those that have difficulty walking, and private-hire firms that cost just as much, if not more than taxis?
The solution to this involves disability pensions and vouchers for special-access public transport that works better for the disabled. Not permitting a random private corporation to ignore the law.
Patroklos wrote: 2017-09-23 02:04pmWhy not just get rid of the regulations for the taxis, or at least relax them significantly? Is there some epidemic of taxi related catastrophes before I was alive that necessitates all this? Something statistically relevant?
Yes. As I mention above, this exact problem happened during the Depression:
-Swarms of "part-time" unemployed taxi drivers unable to make a living.
-Increased traffic cluttering up urban streets.
-A race to the bottom in wages that is now made worse by the fact that Uber can charge high prices per mile and skim a large fraction off the top because the app disconnects what the passenger pays and what the driver receives.

In addition to this you have outcomes that are inherently unlikely but have high potential for harm if they occur. Like "Well, THIS time your college-age daughter climbed into a stranger's car for their Uber ride, and they turned out to be a serial rapist. One that Uber trusts to drive people around, because Uber didn't actually cross-check their name against the sex offender registry."

AND you have more subtle effects that will inevitably occur, like "well shit, the Uber drivers are getting in more accidents but not paying higher car insurance premiums, which means the rest of us have to indirectly subsidize the cost of their car accidents through our own higher premiums, whether we use Uber or not." Much less severe costs, but also a 100% probability of happening.
Flagg wrote: 2017-09-23 02:25pmAnd Simon pointed out the the thread about morons who tried to Uber full time exactly why we have the system we do. A system that works rather well, BTW.
To be fair, they're not morons. They're doing something that makes perfect sense in context, namely using their only remaining valuable asset (their car) to make enough money to survive.

The problem isn't the individual desperate drivers trying to make a living being 'stupid.' It's that this is one of the roughly eleventy jillion situations where having every individual person do what makes sense for them, in the middle of a fucked up system and situation, leads to a fucked up outcome.

The only way to avoid the fucked up outcome is to unfuck the system and the situation... but that requires government action.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

I’ll give that the people may not all be stupid. But what they are doing is very, very stupid.

And to expand on the disabled thing: My county/state actually has free transportation to and from doctors appointments. So they will come at a specified time, drive you to your appointment, then send a driver at a specified time after the appointment and drive you home. And do you know who does it? The taxi company, which is paid by the county/state.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-09-23 02:55pmYes. As I mention above, this exact problem happened during the Depression:
-A race to the bottom in wages that is now made worse by the fact that Uber can charge high prices per mile and skim a large fraction off the top because the app disconnects what the passenger pays and what the driver receives.
None of which are catastrophes, and we are not in an way shape or form in a Depression environment. I can understand, though they are generally still a bad idea by the numbers, instituting a price floor in 1934 (or whenever they did it) but desperate times call for appropriate measures. These are not desperate times and we should not predicate normal operation regulations on drastic solutions to unique circumstances.
In addition to this you have outcomes that are inherently unlikely but have high potential for harm if they occur. Like "Well, THIS time your college-age daughter climbed into a stranger's car for their Uber ride, and they turned out to be a serial rapist. One that Uber trusts to drive people around, because Uber didn't actually cross-check their name against the sex offender registry."
Again, there are lots of business that have equal opportunity to introduce people to harm but they don't seem to get this level of scrutiny. If anything taxis or any sort now a days, traditional or Uber, are the worst possible venue for people to commit crimes in given you are literally tracked from request to drop off.

Does anyone have statistics regarding the probability of an assault for the ride share industry over others? If not then this is just scare mongering. You are certainly right that background checks might stop a handful of assaults here or there, but this is probably true for every service job imaginable. Why is ride sharing so special in this regard?
AND you have more subtle effects that will inevitably occur, like "well shit, the Uber drivers are getting in more accidents but not paying higher car insurance premiums, which means the rest of us have to indirectly subsidize the cost of their car accidents through our own higher premiums, whether we use Uber or not." Much less severe costs, but also a 100% probability of happening.
Why would they not be paying higher costs for their insurance premiums? This would work for exactly ONE accident, and then their premium would go up. As far as I know people who use their private vehicle for work don't have to pay higher premiums unless they insure it through their business, and that is not the case for millions of small and home business people. Uber drivers are no different.
To be fair, they're not morons. They're doing something that makes perfect sense in context, namely using their only remaining valuable asset (their car) to make enough money to survive.

The problem isn't the individual desperate drivers trying to make a living being 'stupid.' It's that this is one of the roughly eleventy jillion situations where having every individual person do what makes sense for them, in the middle of a fucked up system and situation, leads to a fucked up outcome.

The only way to avoid the fucked up outcome is to unfuck the system and the situation... but that requires government action.
Again, why are we applying an extreme outlier from 80 years ago to dictate policy now? Its not like we can't implement that solution again if the same situation materializes. But lets be honest here, given modern technology and changes in culture and economics that same situation in the particulars is not going to happen again (there might be equally desperate modern manifestations, but they ain't going to look the same), and even if it did the solution now is not going to look like the solution then.

And lets be honest here, the taxi industry line on why these rules are good is not what you say was the actual justification for these rules in the first place. Its LOCK OF YOUR DAUGTERS!!! Standard fear mongering, devoid of any statistics to support it. That right there really tells us all we need to know about the motivations of those most forcefully fighting against share riding.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The fact that people are trying to use Uber as a full time job and living in their cars proves Simon’s point and blows yours away.

We don’t need a Great Depression for this type of behavior to manifest.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Flagg wrote: 2017-09-23 03:16pmI’ll give that the people may not all be stupid. But what they are doing is very, very stupid.
It's stupid in the same sense that Third World fishermen who dynamite coral reefs so they can catch enough fish to feed their children right the fuck now are "stupid" because in a few years' time they won't have the option of doing that anymore, on account of the reef being blown up. It's hard to think about the long term or the broader social consequences of your actions when you're faced with immediate personal disaster for failing to carry them out.

One of the problems with the free market is that it can force everyone to individually do a thing that is bad for everyone else, and if you decide to be the lone dissenter who opts out, the market will screw you over horribly. If the market creates a situation where the only way for you to feed your family is through unsustainable business practices, refusing to engage in unsustainable business practices will not magically save you or your family from the consequences.

Is that "stupid?" I don't know, is it "stupid" to not be the one who jumps on a grenade to save a bunch of strangers?
Patroklos wrote: 2017-09-23 03:35pm
Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-09-23 02:55pmYes. As I mention above, this exact problem happened during the Depression:
-A race to the bottom in wages that is now made worse by the fact that Uber can charge high prices per mile and skim a large fraction off the top because the app disconnects what the passenger pays and what the driver receives
None of which are catastrophes, and we are not in an way shape or form in a Depression environment. I can understand, though they are generally still a bad idea by the numbers, instituting a price floor in 1934 (or whenever they did it) but desperate times call for appropriate measures. These are not desperate times and we should not predicate normal operation regulations on drastic solutions to unique circumstances.
Except that we're seeing exactly the same problem now that we did then, for the same underlying reasons:

1) High unemployment- it may not be a depression according to the economic statistics, but a large number of people are unemployed or underemployed.
2) High car ownership- higher than in the 1930s. Potentially, almost anyone can be a part-time taxi driver, so the problem arises even more easily now than it did in the Depression on that account.
3) High competition to drive down driver wages, because of (1) and (2). Only then it was just that it made taxis cheap. Now, it doesn't make taxis cheap, because Uber can significantly overcharge you for your driver's services and pocket the difference very inconspicuously.

Are these problems "catastrophes?" It depends on what you mean by a catastrophe. Is having billions of dollars gradually funneled out of people's pockets and into the hands of a clever few who routinely break laws, abuse the public trust, and overcharge for their services a catastrophe?

See, I totally get that in a lot of situations, regulating a market makes things worse. But there are also a lot of situations where regulating a market makes things better, or at least better for 99% of the people involved. Markets are like evolution. They can do amazing things, but there's no guarantee that they will do the amazing things that people want.

If a combination of market failures and perverse incentives says "turn the taxi industry into a system that runs on a cell phone app and a bunch of homeless people driving their cars into the ground for food money," then we may reasonably be entitled to say "fuck you, free market, we didn't sign up for this."
Again, there are lots of business that have equal opportunity to introduce people to harm but they don't seem to get this level of scrutiny. If anything taxis or any sort now a days, traditional or Uber, are the worst possible venue for people to commit crimes in given you are literally tracked from request to drop off.
The driver is tracked from request to dropoff. They are also alone with the customer, who may be intoxicated or otherwise impaired. There is a significant probability that the ride begins or ends with the driver finding out where the customer lives. Crimes happening in the car might not be the problem. Crimes happening later might be.

Does anyone have statistics regarding the probability of an assault for the ride share industry over others? If not then this is just scare mongering. You are certainly right that background checks might stop a handful of assaults here or there, but this is probably true for every service job imaginable. Why is ride sharing so special in this regard?[/quote]Among other things because Uber actively resists gathering statistics on such things, from what I recall? They're not exactly open about this kind of thing.

It is one of a cluster of related issues that all boil down to "there are reasons we put certain regulations in place on taxi drivers." Uber drivers are behaving in ways indistinguishable from taxi drivers. Allowing Uber to become an international taxi company that ignores all these regulations will have a very wide variety of consequences, including all the problems the regulations were originally set up to prevent.
Why would they not be paying higher costs for their insurance premiums? This would work for exactly ONE accident, and then their premium would go up.
Yes; their premium would go up for the accident, to the same level as a private driver who had one accident. Now they're being charged the same rate as someone who drives the average amount and has had one accident in the past N years. They still drive more than that person and are still a higher risk. Only after a period of several years with the driver's true accident rate becoming clear does this factor balance out.

It won't happen until the insurance company wises up and spots the pattern of how frequent a driver the Uber driver is. Which requires them to know who is driving for Uber and who isn't among their clients, which is exactly the information Uber doesn't want them to have.
As far as I know people who use their private vehicle for work don't have to pay higher premiums unless they insure it through their business, and that is not the case for millions of small and home business people. Uber drivers are no different.
Ask the insurance companies themselves. If they know an Uber car is being used as a taxi regularly to a significant degree, would they charge a different premium? If so, Uber is making part of its profits on every frequent Uber driver by defrauding the insurance companies, or by tacitly encouraging the individual drivers to do the same. If not, we're all subsidizing the Uber drivers' higher accident rate.

Again, why are we applying an extreme outlier from 80 years ago to dictate policy now?
For the same reason that we cite the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, as the reason we have laws governing factory fire safety, limiting hours worked in sweatshops, and forbidding employers to lock their workers inside a building to stop them from taking breaks.

A lot of bad shit happened in the early 20th century. Not just the World Wars and the Depression, but a huge number of specific individual cases of disaster and suffering. In many cases, people died or were crippled or spent their whole lives in misery. In many, many cases, we learned institutional lessons from all those disasters. We learned how not to do things. We learned about laws that could or should be put in place to keep things from going to hell. And those laws were implemented.

And now, generations later, almost no one left alive has personal experience of what it was like before occupational safety laws, before unionization, before business regulations as we know them. People start talking about repealing these very laws and practices.

Many of these people are mature, confident, intelligent adults... But they have lived all their lives under the protective shield of a system of laws erected in the time of their parents and grandparents. And it's easy for them to forget why that shield is there. Or to assume that the problems the shield was put up to defend against have disappeared.

But the problems haven't disappeared. The same market forces that caused the Triangle Fire in 1911 would cause similar disasters today. The invisible hand of the market operates consistently; if people cut corners a hundred years ago, they will cut similar corners today if given the opportunity. You'd see it all over again if employers had the same incentives, and if worker protections were as weak now as they were then. Bosses would lock their workers in the building, and skimp on safety codes, and sooner or later a hundred people would die in a fire.

Thus, history remains very relevant when we talk about deregulation. The famous conservative principle of Chesterton's Fence applies. Those regulations were put in place for a reason, and if you don't discuss and understand why they were in place, and what problems they exist to prevent, you aren't equipped to talk meaningfully or honestly about whether they should be repealed.
Its not like we can't implement that solution again if the same situation materializes. But lets be honest here, given modern technology and changes in culture and economics that same situation in the particulars is not going to happen again (there might be equally desperate modern manifestations, but they ain't going to look the same), and even if it did the solution now is not going to look like the solution then.
Let's be equally honest, Uber isn't actually talking about what might happen, or about similar situations materializing as materialized in the past. Uber isn't working with city leadership to make sure that bad things don't happen to the city. Uber isn't interested in any of this.

Uber has a consistent business model of quietly moving into new markets and ignoring taxi regulations while running a taxi service, then complaining that their business model is being oppressed when someone tries to force them to obey the laws on the books. This is not a unique thing they do only in London, they do it in a lot of cities, over and over.

Will the exact nature of Uber's unethical business practices, and the negative consequences of such, be different today than the exact unethical business practices that motivated all those laws and regulations to be passed in the first place? Probably. Will they be enough different, or better? To the point where it's worth giving Uber a free pass to ignore laws governing taxi companies? Because it insists it's actually not a taxi company, but is instead a "shmaxi shmompany" or whatever?

There is no evidence that we are dealing here with anything other than "same shit, different decade."
And lets be honest here, the taxi industry line on why these rules are good is not what you say was the actual justification for these rules in the first place. Its LOCK OF YOUR DAUGTERS!!! Standard fear mongering, devoid of any statistics to support it. That right there really tells us all we need to know about the motivations of those most forcefully fighting against share riding.
There's a massive array of different lines and arguments and reasons that all interlock here. Because what it comes down to is Uber saying "I should get to ignore all the laws I don't like because they endanger the profitability of my business."

EVERY reason, separately and independently, why ALL of those laws were put into place is an argument against allowing this to happen.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-09-23 06:18pm
Flagg wrote: 2017-09-23 03:16pmI’ll give that the people may not all be stupid. But what they are doing is very, very stupid.
It's stupid in the same sense that Third World fishermen who dynamite coral reefs so they can catch enough fish to feed their children right the fuck now are "stupid" because in a few years' time they won't have the option of doing that anymore, on account of the reef being blown up. It's hard to think about the long term or the broader social consequences of your actions when you're faced with immediate personal disaster for failing to carry them out.

One of the problems with the free market is that it can force everyone to individually do a thing that is bad for everyone else, and if you decide to be the lone dissenter who opts out, the market will screw you over horribly. If the market creates a situation where the only way for you to feed your family is through unsustainable business practices, refusing to engage in unsustainable business practices will not magically save you or your family from the consequences.

Is that "stupid?" I don't know, is it "stupid" to not be the one who jumps on a grenade to save a bunch of strangers?
Simon, I’m talking about people quitting their jobs thinking they can make a living doing it. When people are in desperate straits that’s different.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

And to expand on the disabled thing: My county/state actually has free transportation to and from doctors appointments. So they will come at a specified time, drive you to your appointment, then send a driver at a specified time after the appointment and drive you home. And do you know who does it? The taxi company, which is paid by the county/state.
This is true in the UK as well. It used to be done in-house by the local Ambulance Service but nowadays it's often outsourced to the private-hire firms. Anyone with a disability serious enough to get them signed off work is also entitled to nationwide free bus travel if they can get their doctor to sign off on it.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog