The other independence vote that doesn't seem as well known

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: The other independence vote that doesn't seem as well known

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-10-02 09:26am What Militant minority? I'm sorry but the only reports I can see of violence is from the Spanish police.

The Catalans set up a referendum, arguably illegally but that's not armed secession, so I'm not sure what you're referring to TRR?
It was previously mentioned in this thread that some of the secessionists had made threats of violence against local officials if they didn't care out the referendum.

I've also seen reports refer to "clashes", which I took to mean that their was fighting back and forth between secessionists and police, though I'll concede that that may not be accurate.

Like I said, I'm not defending the heavy-handed police response. It clearly made things worse. But this is, to all appearances, an undemocratic and illegal secession movement which has, at the very least, threatened violence already.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Dartzap wrote: 2017-10-02 09:29am
Democracy and a right to unilateral armed secession cannot co-exist.
Oh goody, when do we get the American colonies back then?
Heh.

I'm generally against re-litigating conflicts that ended centuries ago, if their are no living victims currently being oppressed as a result. Although I'd almost be willing to give you chaps the Eastern seaboard, if you got rid of May and helped us get rid of Trump.
If people don't like the status quo, there has to be a means of letting them express it, beyond the usual voting for who represents you in the building where the status quo emanates. Why are the Catalans (or however many of them would like to be independent) not allowed to express that view through a referendum, without fear of getting a rubber bullet to the face?
For the last time: I am not defending the police response.

There are many means of allowing the people to express their opposition to the status quo, however, short of permitting unilateral secession. Voting for different representatives is one of them. Non-violent protest is another. Legal challenges are a third.

But if you don't get your way through legal, democratic channels, that doesn't give you the right to turn to illegal/violent means to get your way. A necessary component of democracy is that everyone has to abide by certain rules, even (and especially) when their votes don't carry the day.
If you want to have a go at someone, go shout at those who write national constitutions assuming that everyone will always be happy with it, and not allowing an ounce of pragmatism to direct them to adding in peaceful means of exiting a union.
Oh, there's plenty of blame to go around.

But I am very wary of permitting secession for any but the most serious reasons. Because if you do, you will see an endless cycle of nations splintering over petty causes.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-02 09:32am I've also seen reports refer to "clashes", which I took to mean that their was fighting back and forth between secessionists and police, though I'll concede that that may not be accurate.

Like I said, I'm not defending the heavy-handed police response. It clearly made things worse. But this is, to all appearances, an undemocratic and illegal secession movement which has, at the very least, threatened violence already.
I'm sorry, what? Are we condemning people for fighting back against violently-brutal police actions now? Are you really going to sit there radiating smug self-righteousness and saying 'Well clearly I condemn massive police brutality and violent governmental overreaction, but how dare you lift a hand against your lords and masters?!'

Are you for real?

And I'm sorry, but what's more 'undemocratic,' a vote you happen to disagree with, or brutal voter suppression by the current sitting government? Fuck off.
The Romulan Republic wrote:But if you don't get your way through legal, democratic channels, that doesn't give you the right to turn to illegal/violent means to get your way. A necessary component of democracy is that everyone has to abide by certain rules, even (and especially) when their votes don't carry the day.
I couldn't agree more, which is why the Spanish government, upon not getting their way through legal channels in attempting to suppress the vote, doesn't get to turn around and storm polling stations under the auspices of democracy. I know you can spell 'undemocratic,' since it seems to be your favorite word at the moment, but do you have any idea what it means? Here, try this on for size. The Spanish government is to 'undemocratic' as Senator Joseph McCarthy is to 'Un-American.'
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-02 09:32amIt was previously mentioned in this thread that some of the secessionists had made threats of violence against local officials if they didn't care out the referendum.
Some stuff along those lines.

But the stuff Sunday was out of all proportion.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Agreed. While a government has the right and duty to suppress a revolt and uphold the law, diplomacy should be the first resort to prevent things from escalating to violence, and excessive force, particularly against civilians, is never acceptable.
White Haven wrote: 2017-10-02 09:52amI'm sorry, what? Are we condemning people for fighting back against violently-brutal police actions now? Are you really going to sit there radiating smug self-righteousness and saying 'Well clearly I condemn massive police brutality and violent governmental overreaction, but how dare you lift a hand against your lords and masters?!'
You are aware that the threats I am referring to took place before yesterday's police violence? Or do little facts like that not matter to you?

Do individuals have the right to fight back against excessive force from the cops? Morally, yes, depending on the circumstances, though its unlikely to do them any good practically. Were at least some of the secessionists already willing to resort to threats of violence before the police used force? Yup.
Are you for real?

And I'm sorry, but what's more 'undemocratic,' a vote you happen to disagree with, or brutal voter suppression by the current sitting government? Fuck off.
Its not "a vote I happen to disagree with". Its an illegal vote, ruled so by the courts, backed up by threats, and, based on the numbers cited in this thread, against the wishes of the majority of Catalans.

That's why its undemocratic, you dishonest fuck.

And while I have said again and again (and been ignored again and again, so that you can false paint me as an advocate of despotism and police brutality rather than honestly debating), I am not condoning the police response. That said, I do believe that their comes a point where the government has not only the right, but the duty to put down a revolt by force. Not by brutalizing civilians, but certainly by shutting down the polling stations, and arresting the instigators.

If the citizens of Cousinfucker, Alabama decided to hold an illegal referendum to secede from the Union, then threatened local officials to coerce them into complying, would you say that the government had no right to prevent them from doing so?
I couldn't agree more, which is why the Spanish government, upon not getting their way through legal channels in attempting to suppress the vote, doesn't get to turn around and storm polling stations under the auspices of democracy.
The Spanish government won through legal channels. The courts ruled the referendum illegal. The secessionists then broke the law.

We can continue this discussion whenever your mind returns from whatever alternate reality it is currently inhabiting.
I know you can spell 'undemocratic,' since it seems to be your favorite word at the moment, but do you have any idea what it means? Here, try this on for size. The Spanish government is to 'undemocratic' as Senator Joseph McCarthy is to 'Un-American.'
Come back when you're ready to debate the issue honestly.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Some responses from people to the actions of the Spanish government

Jeremy Corbyn
Police violence against citizens in #Catalonia is shocking. The Spanish government must act to end it now.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10 ... -violence/

Nicola Sturgeon
Nicola Sturgeon ✔@NicolaSturgeon
Statement from @foreignoffice on #Catalonia is shamefully weak. A true friend of Spain would tell them today’s actions wrong and damaging.
2:19 AM - Oct 2, 2017
Spanish government
Spain's foreign minister Alfonso Dastis said the violence was "unfortunate" and "unpleasant" but "proportionate", blaming the violence exclusively on Mr Puigdemont and his regional government.

Spain's Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy delivers a statement at the Moncloa Palace in Madrid
Spain's Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy delivers a statement at the Moncloa Palace in Madrid CREDIT: SERGIO PEREZ/REUTERS
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy last night said: "We did what we had to do", describing the ballot as a “premeditated attack on the legality of the Spanish state faced down with serenity by the forces of order”.
The European union
Yesterday the EC told The Telegraph it had nothing to add a statement made by Jean-Claude Juncker on Friday, when he backed “the rule of law” in Spain.
Suggestions from some unknown source which journalists could not even bother quoting, but anyway.
There were suggestions from several quarters that the Commission was taking a much laxer stance on Spain, a valued member of the EU core with an important stake in Brexit negotiations, than it would against other member states.
May or may not be true, but there is the old adage, money talks, bullshit walks.

Catalan's government representative to the EU
“The fundamental rights of EU citizens are being damaged by this disproportionate use of violence against peaceful citizens,” Amadeu Altafaj, the permanent representative of the Catalan government to the EU in Brussels told the Telegraph.

“For some countries like Poland there are strict standards but when it comes to Spain, there seems to be a lot of complacency.”

Boris Johnson
"The Catalonian referendum is a matter for the Spanish govt & people, adding: “Spain is a close ally and a good friend, whose strength and unity matters to the UK.
*****************************************************************************************************************************
It will be interesting to see the world response from the big powers. I predict UK, France and China would say something along the lines of "internal affairs of Spain." The US would have Trump say something like "There are good people on both sides," :lol: and it will be interesting to see what Russia officially says. That is the one I am not too sure I can predict correctly. It may say nothing and let RT put forward some interviews from those highly sympathetic to a splitting of the EU.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-02 10:07am Agreed. While a government has the right and duty to suppress a revolt and uphold the law, diplomacy should be the first resort to prevent things from escalating to violence, and excessive force, particularly against civilians, is never acceptable.
WHAT REVOLT?
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-02 10:07am
White Haven wrote: 2017-10-02 09:52amI'm sorry, what? Are we condemning people for fighting back against violently-brutal police actions now? Are you really going to sit there radiating smug self-righteousness and saying 'Well clearly I condemn massive police brutality and violent governmental overreaction, but how dare you lift a hand against your lords and masters?!'
You are aware that the threats I am referring to took place before yesterday's police violence? Or do little facts like that not matter to you?

Do individuals have the right to fight back against excessive force from the cops? Morally, yes, depending on the circumstances, though its unlikely to do them any good practically. Were at least some of the secessionists already willing to resort to threats of violence before the police used force? Yup.
Threats are already illegal. Even if you are vastly overstating their prevalence (P.S. you are), their existence doesn't invalidate the existence of the thing they're in favour of, any more than open-carry protests invalidate the existence of the US Republican Party.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-02 10:07am Its not "a vote I happen to disagree with". Its an illegal vote, ruled so by the courts, backed up by threats, and, based on the numbers cited in this thread, against the wishes of the majority of Catalans.

That's why its undemocratic, you dishonest fuck.

And while I have said again and again (and been ignored again and again, so that you can false paint me as an advocate of despotism and police brutality rather than honestly debating), I am not condoning the police response. That said, I do believe that their comes a point where the government has not only the right, but the duty to put down a revolt by force. Not by brutalizing civilians, but certainly by shutting down the polling stations, and arresting the instigators.

If the citizens of Cousinfucker, Alabama decided to hold an illegal referendum to secede from the Union, then threatened local officials to coerce them into complying, would you say that the government had no right to prevent them from doing so?
Okay, I'll bite. Firstly, the entire idea of the vote being illegal is a conflict of interest in the first place. The Spanish courts are an arm of the Spanish government, and secession of a prosperous region runs counter to Spain's national interests. It's the exact same issue as the police getting to investigate themselves and clear themselves of wrongdoing after a major law enforcement cockup. Oh my, Spanish courts say that voting about seceding from Spain is illegal. [How surprising[/i].

Secondly, at least a 60% majority (varies depending on when the poll was taken) as polled wanted to have the vote, even if only ~40% supported independence itself (also contested, poll numbers swing wildly about on this). The majority of Catalan voters wanted to pull this out into the light of day and see how it goes, so fuck RIGHT off with that 'against the wishes' bullshit.

Thirdly, you keep 'condemning the police action' and then spouting 'b-b-but armed revooolt' in the whiniest tone imaginable in the same breath, which puts your 'condemnation' firmly in the territory of boilerplate disclaimer territory rather than anything sincere. So, again, fuck off.

Also, WHAT FUCKING REVOLT YOU FUCKING TROGLODYTE?

A few death threats in an era where internet death threats are about as common as bread do not somehow become an armed insurrection because The Romulan Republic waved his fucking hand. Spain is practically begging for an armed revolt with this crackdown, but they haven't managed to drum up one quite yet. Even if they do, it'll be their own damned fault by this point, a statement I would NOT have made a week or two ago.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-02 10:07am The Spanish government won through legal channels. The courts ruled the referendum illegal. The secessionists then broke the law.
Do you not understand conflicts of interest? Were you bitten by a radioactive president? Is this your new superpower?

Even setting that aside for a moment, have you ever considered the consequences of cockblocking democratic, peaceful self-determination? Politics are quite literally the safety-valve that keeps this kind of shit from getting violent. The more common case is regime change (no reason to go through the massive risk and loss of a civil war when I can try to unseat my rival and take his position at a thousandth the cost via elections), but secession is a place where this applies as well. If a sufficient portion of a populace wants out and you tell them 'no, fuck off, you can't do this peacefully because we say it's illegal to even vote on it,' then their options become either sit down and shut up, or stand up and punch you in the head until you go away or their arms get tired. Declaring this sort of thing illegal is fucking dangerous
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

White Haven wrote: 2017-10-02 11:11amWHAT REVOLT?
Maybe its unfair to call it a "revolt". So tell me: what would you consider an appropriate term for an illegal attempt at unilateral secession that most of the people affected appear to oppose, backed up by threats of violence?
Threats are already illegal. Even if you are vastly overstating their prevalence (P.S. you are), their existence doesn't invalidate the existence of the thing they're in favour of, any more than open-carry protests invalidate the existence of the US Republican Party.
This is irrelevant babbling. The reason I bring up the threats is to demonstrate that the secessionists are not behaving in a manner that accords with either democratic principles or the rule of law.
Okay, I'll bite. Firstly, the entire idea of the vote being illegal is a conflict of interest in the first place. The Spanish courts are an arm of the Spanish government, and secession of a prosperous region runs counter to Spain's national interests. It's the exact same issue as the police getting to investigate themselves and clear themselves of wrongdoing after a major law enforcement cockup. Oh my, Spanish courts say that voting about seceding from Spain is illegal. [How surprising[/i].
:lol:

Oh, wow. You're literally arguing that for the court to rule on a constitutional question that affects the government is a conflict of interest, and hence invalid?

By that reasoning, the court would have literally no right to rule on any constitutional matter affecting the authority or powers of the government, and anyone would have the right to unilaterally reject the government's authority whenever they pleased.

You will demonstrate that the Spanish courts are a puppet of government policy, rather than an independent judicial branch, and/or that their ruling was not a reasonable interpretation of the law, or you will concede this frankly ludicrous point.
Secondly, at least a 60% majority (varies depending on when the poll was taken) as polled wanted to have the vote, even if only ~40% supported independence itself (also contested, poll numbers swing wildly about on this). The majority of Catalan voters wanted to pull this out into the light of day and see how it goes, so fuck RIGHT off with that 'against the wishes' bullshit.
Source?

But even if 60% wanted a referendum, I would highly question the legitimacy of a referendum which 60% supported having, 40% supported voting yes in, and the "winning" side is claiming a 90% victory.
Thirdly, you keep 'condemning the police action' and then spouting 'b-b-but armed revooolt' in the whiniest tone imaginable in the same breath, which puts your 'condemnation' firmly in the territory of boilerplate disclaimer territory rather than anything sincere. So, again, fuck off.
So if I do not completely support the actions of the separatists, I therefore support the police action"? Nice straw man. Black and white thinking makes the world so simple, doesn't it?

Also: debate my arguments, not my tone.
Also, WHAT FUCKING REVOLT YOU FUCKING TROGLODYTE?
Calm the fuck down.
A few death threats in an era where internet death threats are about as common as bread do not somehow become an armed insurrection because The Romulan Republic waved his fucking hand. Spain is practically begging for an armed revolt with this crackdown, but they haven't managed to drum up one quite yet. Even if they do, it'll be their own damned fault by this point, a statement I would NOT have made a week or two ago.

Do you not understand conflicts of interest? Were you bitten by a radioactive president? Is this your new superpower?
You see no distinction between random internet threats (which common or not, can still be in violation of the law) and secessionists threatening political officials to coerce them into supporting an illegal referendum? You do not feel that that calls (further) into question the legitimacy of said referendum?

See above reg. bullshit conflict of interest arguments. Now, put up or shut up.
Even setting that aside for a moment, have you ever considered the consequences of cockblocking democratic, peaceful self-determination? Politics are quite literally the safety-valve that keeps this kind of shit from getting violent. The more common case is regime change (no reason to go through the massive risk and loss of a civil war when I can try to unseat my rival and take his position at a thousandth the cost via elections), but secession is a place where this applies as well. If a sufficient portion of a populace wants out and you tell them 'no, fuck off, you can't do this peacefully because we say it's illegal to even vote on it,' then their options become either sit down and shut up, or stand up and punch you in the head until you go away or their arms get tired. Declaring this sort of thing illegal is fucking dangerous
Is it dangerous? Sure, its dangerous. And no matter how hard you try to pretend otherwise, I am not supporting the police response here.

But it was also "dangerous" for the Catalan separatists to embark on an illegal attempt to unilaterally tear their country apart. Just as it would be dangerous for a government to allow a radical or disgruntled political minority to ignore the law with impunity and unilaterally secede without reprecussions.

Do you, or do you not, recognize that a democratic government has both a right and an obligation to uphold the rule of law within their territory, through the mechanisms of the courts and police?

Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Aren't referenda ... supposed to be technically nonbinding?

If that is accurate, why not just let the referendum proceed, and declare it to be the political equivalent of Monopoly Money if Spain is so deathly scared of its consequences, instead of brutally suppressing it by force? Was that even considered?

No, apparently even having it asked is illegal. Even if only the lowly minority of 40% (10% lower than half ..... I think you're vastly underimagining the proportions involved) wants to secede, that is still a significant amount of citizens who think that there is enough of a problem with Spain's government to go with full blown secession. I don't know if I agree with their initial motivations because I am not familiar with the sociopolitical situation, but Spain's response is making me entirely more sympathetic because they aren't even allowing the people involved to fucking have a vote.

This isn't something like Nazis having a referendum on whether or not we should institute American Final Solution either. This is internal turmoil over whether the citizenry has confidence in their own government. And rendering an entire possible, democratic vote illegal is a WONDERFUL way to get them to not only seal their beliefs about their government, but also attract more people to believe in secession. Doing so infinitely more effectively than any of the secessionists could have been capable of.

With even that possible choice I came up with in under a minute, it is possible that Spain could have used the referendum to implement measures addressing the essence of perhaps, like, half the secessionists' concerns. There could have been, you know, ACTUAL FUCKING DIALOGUE.

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS, TRR?
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

Dragon Angel wrote: 2017-10-03 07:33amAren't referenda ... supposed to be technically nonbinding?
No.

The laws irregularly (contrary to basic catalan law, Spanish constitutional law and catalan parliamentary procedure) passed by the regionalists states that the vote is binding and that a victory of leave, regardless of turnout, will be binding and trigger an unilateral declaration of independence within 48 hours. I can provide a direct link to the relevant text, if you want.
If that is accurate, why not just let the referendum proceed, and declare it to be the political equivalent of Monopoly Money if Spain is so deathly scared of its consequences, instead of brutally suppressing it by force? Was that even considered?
So, first of all, the police intervention last Sunday was fractally stupid. Beyond the police brutality (which is a whole can of worms of its own) and beyond the decision of the catalan police to sit this one out, the operational plan was all of three hours old when the police started their deployment, having been changed like half a dozen times over the weekend, and in spite of reducing targets three times, they still didn't manage to cover even a fifth of what they were supposed to do.

Criminal stupidity + malice, the worst of combinations.
No, apparently even having it asked is illegal.
Polls have been held in the past and those have mostly been ignored.

It was the fact that the catalan government seemed to be all in this time around, what with declaring the result of this binding, that has resulted in first serious attempts to disrupt the preparations and then to disrupt the vote itself.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Dragon Angel wrote: 2017-10-03 07:33amAren't referenda ... supposed to be technically nonbinding?
That's usually up to whoever administers the referendum. Australia has had a few, on subjects like becoming a republic, and whether or not Indigenous people can count as people in the census.

If it's not binding it's a glorified opinion poll, like Australia's current plebiscite on same sex marriage.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Dragon Angel wrote: 2017-10-03 07:33amIf that is accurate, why not just let the referendum proceed, and declare it to be the political equivalent of Monopoly Money if Spain is so deathly scared of its consequences, instead of brutally suppressing it by force? Was that even considered?
An even better solution would have been to say "fine, you you can have your referendum, and if the answer is yes you can leave". Then, once the Catalans had accepted said in/out question, make clear in the "no" campaign that leaving meant leaving, which would mean no more access to any of the resources of the remainder of the Kingdom of Spain than any other sovereign state.

I.e. do the same thing the UK did three years ago. We didn't lose a single square inch of the country, and we didn't need to send half the Met up to Edinburgh to kick the locals' heads in to keep it. If we'd taken the latter course, I suspect that at best Scotland would be independent and at worst we'd be in the middle of a civil war.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

First off, sorry for losing my cool. Seeing the same shitty argument used by TRR but used in another context where it's clearly not so black and white really pissed me off.
Murazor wrote: 2017-10-03 08:53amNo.

The laws irregularly (contrary to basic catalan law, Spanish constitutional law and catalan parliamentary procedure) passed by the regionalists states that the vote is binding and that a victory of leave, regardless of turnout, will be binding and trigger an unilateral declaration of independence within 48 hours. I can provide a direct link to the relevant text, if you want.
Gandalf wrote: 2017-10-03 10:08amThat's usually up to whoever administers the referendum. Australia has had a few, on subjects like becoming a republic, and whether or not Indigenous people can count as people in the census.

If it's not binding it's a glorified opinion poll, like Australia's current plebiscite on same sex marriage.
Interesting, alright acknowledged. No need to provide texts.
Murazor wrote: 2017-10-03 08:53amPolls have been held in the past and those have mostly been ignored.

It was the fact that the catalan government seemed to be all in this time around, what with declaring the result of this binding, that has resulted in first serious attempts to disrupt the preparations and then to disrupt the vote itself.
Seems like Spain is going to have more to deal with than they bargained for now..... What an utter fiasco.
Captain Seafort wrote: 2017-10-03 02:21pmAn even better solution would have been to say "fine, you you can have your referendum, and if the answer is yes you can leave". Then, once the Catalans had accepted said in/out question, make clear in the "no" campaign that leaving meant leaving, which would mean no more access to any of the resources of the remainder of the Kingdom of Spain than any other sovereign state.

I.e. do the same thing the UK did three years ago. We didn't lose a single square inch of the country, and we didn't need to send half the Met up to Edinburgh to kick the locals' heads in to keep it. If we'd taken the latter course, I suspect that at best Scotland would be independent and at worst we'd be in the middle of a civil war.
Yeah, and if TRR is precise with the 40% figure, even a straight up referendum wouldn't have worked anyway. So it makes even less sense that Spain would've tyrannically suppressed the vote if in reality less than a simple majority would've said so.

It does bring to mind now how this will affect other independence movements, going forward... Would this inspire them to begin again, or would it have no effect in the long term.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

Captain Seafort wrote: 2017-10-03 02:21pm
Dragon Angel wrote: 2017-10-03 07:33amIf that is accurate, why not just let the referendum proceed, and declare it to be the political equivalent of Monopoly Money if Spain is so deathly scared of its consequences, instead of brutally suppressing it by force? Was that even considered?
An even better solution would have been to say "fine, you you can have your referendum, and if the answer is yes you can leave". Then, once the Catalans had accepted said in/out question, make clear in the "no" campaign that leaving meant leaving, which would mean no more access to any of the resources of the remainder of the Kingdom of Spain than any other sovereign state.

Problem for Spain with letting Catalonia go is that IIRC Catalonia is one of the richest regions and their taxes are subsidizing much of the rest of the country, which is why the central government wants to retain such tight control.
Warwolf Urban Combat Specialist

Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The GOP has a problem with anyone coming out of the closet. –18-till-I-die
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

Edi wrote: 2017-10-04 06:21amProblem for Spain with letting Catalonia go is that IIRC Catalonia is one of the richest regions and their taxes are subsidizing much of the rest of the country, which is why the central government wants to retain such tight control.
That is a part of it, anyway.

To be more specific, Catalonia as one of the comparatively richer regions of the country, pays in taxes more than what it receives from the central government, to the song of 5-8% of the catalan GDP every year.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Edi wrote: 2017-10-04 06:21amProblem for Spain with letting Catalonia go is that IIRC Catalonia is one of the richest regions and their taxes are subsidizing much of the rest of the country, which is why the central government wants to retain such tight control.
The problem is that I suspect Sunday's events have probably sent support for independence in Catalonia through the roof. Everything I've heard suggests that if the government had agreed to the vote and actively campaigned against secession, they would probably have won, and had a rock solid argument to point to every time the local government kicked up a stink about something. As it stands they've shot themselves in the foot with a small artillery piece.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Dragon Angel wrote: 2017-10-03 07:33am Aren't referenda ... supposed to be technically nonbinding?

No, apparently even having it asked is illegal. Even if only the lowly minority of 40% (10% lower than half ..... I think you're vastly underimagining the proportions involved) wants to secede, that is still a significant amount of citizens who think that there is enough of a problem with Spain's government to go with full blown secession. I don't know if I agree with their initial motivations because I am not familiar with the sociopolitical situation, but Spain's response is making me entirely more sympathetic because they aren't even allowing the people involved to fucking have a vote.

This isn't something like Nazis having a referendum on whether or not we should institute American Final Solution either. This is internal turmoil over whether the citizenry has confidence in their own government. And rendering an entire possible, democratic vote illegal is a WONDERFUL way to get them to not only seal their beliefs about their government, but also attract more people to believe in secession. Doing so infinitely more effectively than any of the secessionists could have been capable of.

With even that possible choice I came up with in under a minute, it is possible that Spain could have used the referendum to implement measures addressing the essence of perhaps, like, half the secessionists' concerns. There could have been, you know, ACTUAL FUCKING DIALOGUE.

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS, TRR?
Since you subsequently admitted that your response was influenced by hostility towards me stemming from other, unrelated threads, I expect that any attempt to debate this with you will quickly turn into an attack on me personally. Of course, if I respond with equal hostility, I will probably be accused of 'hysterics". :roll:

Feel free to prove me wrong.

That said:

Regarding the police brutality, again (and knowing full-well that it will almost certainly continue to be ignored), I do not agree with or condone the police response. That is all I have to say on that point.

As to weather the referendum should have been allowed to proceed without legal consequences- in my opinion, no. That would have been an abrogation of the government's responsibility to uphold the rule of law, it would have made them appear weak and set a precedent that would encourage further attempts at unilateral secession. That said, I would certainly have preferred that they simply arrest the organizers of the referendum rather than employ force against crowds of voters, or at the very least refrain from beating people unless those people were actually armed/violent first. For both moral and pragmatic reasons.

Its generally poor policy to do anything that makes you appear as the aggressor in a political dispute, without very good cause.

Should the government of Spain do its best to address the needs and concerns of Catalans, including those who support separatism? Absolutely. But surely they can find ways to address the issues concerning Catalans without allowing the secession referendum to proceed.

Edit: I'll add that, as mentioned above, the Catalan separatists appear to be treating this as binding, to use it as pretext to unilaterally secede, even when it is not only illegal, but doubtful that this is actually what most Catalans want. Which the government of Spain has every right and obligation to prevent.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

And I'll add, again, that I am holding Spain here to the same damn standard to which I would hold my own country- which is that unilateral, illegal secession, likely conducted against the will of the majority of the people, is not something a democratic government can permit without undermining its own legitimacy, and betraying its responsibilities to the people (not just of any one region or faction, but of the whole nation) whom it serves. The Spanish government would be derelict in its duty if it allowed the referendum to proceed unchallenged.

Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-04 06:05pmSince you subsequently admitted that your response was influenced by hostility towards me stemming from other, unrelated threads, I expect that any attempt to debate this with you will quickly turn into an attack on me personally. Of course, if I respond with equal hostility, I will probably be accused of 'hysterics". :roll:

Feel free to prove me wrong.
Oh, how persecuted you are. Oh, how everyone is picking on you. :wanker:

It's rich seeing you say this since you are quite a fan of using other people's posting histories against them. Hey, everyone on this subforum does it, just admit your hypocrisy and be done with it. I'd respect you more than your acting like a total coward.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-04 06:05pmThat said:

Regarding the police brutality, again (and knowing full-well that it will almost certainly continue to be ignored), I do not agree with or condone the police response. That is all I have to say on that point.
Okay, fine, but then you continue onward to...
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-04 06:05pmAs to weather the referendum should have been allowed to proceed without legal consequences- in my opinion, no. That would have been an abrogation of the government's responsibility to uphold the rule of law, it would have made them appear weak and set a precedent that would encourage further attempts at unilateral secession. That said, I would certainly have preferred that they simply arrest the organizers of the referendum rather than employ force against crowds of voters, or at the very least refrain from beating people unless those people were actually armed/violent first. For both moral and pragmatic reasons.

Its generally poor policy to do anything that makes you appear as the aggressor in a political dispute, without very good cause.
What ..... makes you think that arresting the organizers of the referendum would be that much better an option? You will still have the separatists saying the government is obstructing an internal democratic process, but now it's just "less dirty" to you and out of the view. Congrats, instead of the cops beating the shit out of them, they are now disappearing people. Hooray?

A better way to have dealt with this would have been to argue this in Spain's courts, since this would certainly have to be litigated. Don't arrest anyone yet, because that brings to mind rightfully images of a fascist state. Any interactions via the police would have erupted public sentiment, it's just that Spain decided to carry out the worst possible action here.

It's also been mentioned that Catalonia having a vote to secede is not unprecedented, as this has been happening many times before. If this being the exception as it was claimed to be "binding" was indeed unconstitutional under Spain's constitution, then the courts handling this would have been incredibly better than summoning images of fascist boots to the population. The police is not the answer here. Your suggesting their continual usage is making me doubt your veracity.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-04 06:05pmShould the government of Spain do its best to address the needs and concerns of Catalans, including those who support separatism? Absolutely. But surely they can find ways to address the issues concerning Catalans without allowing the secession referendum to proceed.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-04 06:11pmAnd I'll add, again, that I am holding Spain here to the same damn standard to which I would hold my own country- which is that unilateral, illegal secession, likely conducted against the will of the majority of the people, is not something a democratic government can permit without undermining its own legitimacy, and betraying its responsibilities to the people (not just of any one region or faction, but of the whole nation) whom it serves. The Spanish government would be derelict in its duty if it allowed the referendum to proceed unchallenged.
Out of curiosity, what was your position on Scotland leaving the UK again? I know you love the world united under as little separate entities as possible but I don't recall you having nearly this much of an issue with that. Why? And would you have approved of the UK blocking Scotland from secession, if hypothetically that did happen?
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-04 06:05pmEdit: I'll add that, as mentioned above, the Catalan separatists appear to be treating this as binding, to use it as pretext to unilaterally secede, even when it is not only illegal, but doubtful that this is actually what most Catalans want. Which the government of Spain has every right and obligation to prevent.
If this wasn't what most Catalans wanted, then why not let the referendum continue anyway? Like I said, debate this in the courts, don't disappear the people leading it.

Thanks to the Spanish government's absolute fuckup though, remaining is probably not going to be "what most Catalans want" anymore, so you had better brace yourself for a possible uncomfortable prospect.
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-04 06:11pm And I'll add, again, that I am holding Spain here to the same damn standard to which I would hold my own country- which is that unilateral, illegal secession, likely conducted against the will of the majority of the people, is not something a democratic government can permit without undermining its own legitimacy, and betraying its responsibilities to the people (not just of any one region or faction, but of the whole nation) whom it serves. The Spanish government would be derelict in its duty if it allowed the referendum to proceed unchallenged.
Would you kindly fucking look up some basic Spanish history before you start spouting more bullshit about things you know nothing about?

Spain is not a monolithic single national identity state, but a state formed up of several regions that used to be independent kingdoms and that have strong regional identities. As in, regional identity first, Spanish second and depending on which region you happen to be from, [insert other region here] never. That has to do with how whoever has been in power (mostly Madrid, aka Castilia) has treated all the others and a lot of it hasn't been very nice, so there are long-simmering regional resentments (think centuries here) in play. Then there is the very recent (as in, well within living memory) fascist dictatorship of Franco, who had a lot of people killed and oppressed the fuck out of a lot of people.

The Spanish government's reaction is straight up Franco era fascism, so expecting this thing to do anything other than blow up the way it has is utterly unrealistic. Given the history involved, your simplistic "can't allow them to do something because of inapplicable comparison to the US" is straight up fucking stupid.

That's more or less a simple summary of it, there's a lot more detail to delve into if you wish to look into it.

Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Captain Seafort wrote: 2017-10-04 02:22pm
The problem is that I suspect Sunday's events have probably sent support for independence in Catalonia through the roof. Everything I've heard suggests that if the government had agreed to the vote and actively campaigned against secession, they would probably have won, and had a rock solid argument to point to every time the local government kicked up a stink about something. As it stands they've shot themselves in the foot with a small artillery piece.
Oh, I firmly agree that they bungled their handling of this, although I'm not sure that allowing (and thus legitimizing) an illegal vote would have been the right course of action.

Certainly, though, the heavy-handed police response made things worse.
Dragon Angel wrote: 2017-10-04 06:56pmOh, how persecuted you are. Oh, how everyone is picking on you. :wanker:

It's rich seeing you say this since you are quite a fan of using other people's posting histories against them. Hey, everyone on this subforum does it, just admit your hypocrisy and be done with it. I'd respect you more than your acting like a total coward.
I'd hardly claim that it rises to the level of "persecution". More just irritating.

Personally, I think that nobody should use someone's posting history against them unless its directly relevant to the arguments they're making in the thread in question. I'll try and stick to that if others will.
Okay, fine, but then you continue onward to...
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-04 06:05pmAs to weather the referendum should have been allowed to proceed without legal consequences- in my opinion, no. That would have been an abrogation of the government's responsibility to uphold the rule of law, it would have made them appear weak and set a precedent that would encourage further attempts at unilateral secession. That said, I would certainly have preferred that they simply arrest the organizers of the referendum rather than employ force against crowds of voters, or at the very least refrain from beating people unless those people were actually armed/violent first. For both moral and pragmatic reasons.

What ..... makes you think that arresting the organizers of the referendum would be that much better an option? You will still have the separatists saying the government is obstructing an internal democratic process, but now it's just "less dirty" to you and out of the view. Congrats, instead of the cops beating the shit out of them, they are now disappearing people. Hooray?
"disappearing people". :roll: Seriously?

I am talking about arrests, and trials, and due process. Not the secret police kicking in doors in the dead of night and dragging people off to the torture chambers.

And yes, from just a PR perspective, I'd consider that preferable to "civilians beaten bloody in the streets for trying to vote". And from a moral perspective, superior because its precisely targeting the most guilty parties only.
A better way to have dealt with this would have been to argue this in Spain's courts, since this would certainly have to be litigated. Don't arrest anyone yet, because that brings to mind rightfully images of a fascist state.
:roll:

I mean, I thought the whole point here was that the courts already did rule against the referendum, and were promptly ignored?
Any interactions via the police would have erupted public sentiment, it's just that Spain decided to carry out the worst possible action here.
What happens when the courts rule in favour of the government, and the separatists say "fuck you, we're leaving anyway?" Which we have every reason, based on everything that's happened so far, to suspect would happen.

At some point, you have to actually enforce the law, if it is to have much practical meaning. But perhaps they could have held off on doing so until further options had been tried, if only to make it clear for PR purposes who was in the wrong here.
It's also been mentioned that Catalonia having a vote to secede is not unprecedented, as this has been happening many times before. If this being the exception as it was claimed to be "binding" was indeed unconstitutional under Spain's constitution, then the courts handling this would have been incredibly better than summoning images of fascist boots to the population. The police is not the answer here. Your suggesting their continual usage is making me doubt your veracity.
At what point would you consider the use of the police justified? Or is there no point where it would be?

If the referendum was ruled to be illegal and/or the results fraudulent, and the separatists said "screw you, we're leaving anyway", and started taking steps to act as an independent government in defiance of the authority of the Spanish government, would that be the time?

I'm just curious as to weather our disagreement is on the exact point at which it would be appropriate to enforce the law, or weather you simply do not recognize the government's right to enforce the law in the case of illegal secession. Because those are somewhat different debates.
Out of curiosity, what was your position on Scotland leaving the UK again? I know you love the world united under as little separate entities as possible but I don't recall you having nearly this much of an issue with that. Why? And would you have approved of the UK blocking Scotland from secession, if hypothetically that did happen?
As I'm pretty sure you're aware, I oppose Scottish separatism. I'd have a little more sympathy for them because a) I'm well aware of what a clusterfuck the current British government is, b) they held their referendum legally and democratically, and c) they'd be leaving in part so that they could remain in the EU, which Britain is trying to drag them out of against their will. But I'd still consider it an ill-advised move. And if they did try to illegally, unilaterally secede... I suppose I'd have to come down in favour of the British government suppressing such an attempt (though in both cases, I also recognize that their may come a point where pragmatism requires one to admit defeat to avoid greater bloodshed).
If this wasn't what most Catalans wanted, then why not let the referendum continue anyway? Like I said, debate this in the courts, don't disappear the people leading it.
Please desist from characterizing my position as favouring "disappearing" the leaders. "Disappearing" someone has connotations (of which you are doubtless aware) that do not apply to my argument, however badly some people here seem to want to argue that "Spanish government=Franco). I consider this characterization of my argument dishonest, and defamatory.
Thanks to the Spanish government's absolute fuckup though, remaining is probably not going to be "what most Catalans want" anymore, so you had better brace yourself for a possible uncomfortable prospect.
As I said, while the secessionists are in the wrong in my opinion, the Spanish government absolutely fucked up. Those are not contradictory positions.
Edi wrote: 2017-10-05 03:30am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-04 06:11pm And I'll add, again, that I am holding Spain here to the same damn standard to which I would hold my own country- which is that unilateral, illegal secession, likely conducted against the will of the majority of the people, is not something a democratic government can permit without undermining its own legitimacy, and betraying its responsibilities to the people (not just of any one region or faction, but of the whole nation) whom it serves. The Spanish government would be derelict in its duty if it allowed the referendum to proceed unchallenged.
Would you kindly fucking look up some basic Spanish history before you start spouting more bullshit about things you know nothing about?

Spain is not a monolithic single national identity state, but a state formed up of several regions that used to be independent kingdoms and that have strong regional identities. As in, regional identity first, Spanish second and depending on which region you happen to be from, [insert other region here] never. That has to do with how whoever has been in power (mostly Madrid, aka Castilia) has treated all the others and a lot of it hasn't been very nice, so there are long-simmering regional resentments (think centuries here) in play. Then there is the very recent (as in, well within living memory) fascist dictatorship of Franco, who had a lot of people killed and oppressed the fuck out of a lot of people.

The Spanish government's reaction is straight up Franco era fascism, so expecting this thing to do anything other than blow up the way it has is utterly unrealistic. Given the history involved, your simplistic "can't allow them to do something because of inapplicable comparison to the US" is straight up fucking stupid.

That's more or less a simple summary of it, there's a lot more detail to delve into if you wish to look into it.
I am aware that Spain is comprised of multiple regions and regional groups. That does not change the fact that it is a single country, under a single government, and has been for a very long time. And that at present, I do not see that it is in any body's best interests for that to change, except possibly those (like the Russian government) who have a vested interest in weakening the EU and NATO.

That said, apologies for once again being imprecise in my terminology, and making the mistake of mixing up "country" and "nation". Its a common mistake, but I ought to know better.

However, I sincerely hope that you are not seriously trying to equate the current Spanish government with Franco's. I mean, seriously? Unless their are a lot of recent atrocities in Spain that I haven't heard about in the news (in which case, links please), that's some serious hyperbole.

Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

I'm not equating the current government with Franco, but they are using pages from his playbook with the massive police overreaction AND the current party in power is Franco's old party, so those comparisons will be drawn regardless. Send in the National Guard to break the heads of protesters in a region that has traditionally been shat on by Madrid and all the other incompetence, the Catalans are going to see and interpret it as fascism and so do a lot of other folks. The difference is in degree, not in kind.

There is nothing to stop Spain from adopting a more federal approach rather than a tightly Castilian controlled central government in Madrid telling everyone what to do. Which is apparently not something the current party in power wants.

–Darth Wong to vivftp

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, I think "the Spanish government fucked up" is something we can agree on here.

Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

Edi wrote: 2017-10-05 06:08amAND the current party in power is Franco's old party
No.

Franco's old party is Falange Tradicionalista y de las JONS, which is still around and got all of 15,000 votes in the last general elections. Now, PP descends from AP, which was founded by former Franco ministers, but in all formal aspects it is a christian-democrat conservative party, albeit one plagued by corrupt idiots of authoritarian inclinations. It is not a political formation I support in the slightest, but Franco would loathe it.

So I think that that needs saying.
There is nothing to stop Spain from adopting a more federal approach rather than a tightly Castilian controlled central government in Madrid telling everyone what to do. Which is apparently not something the current party in power wants.
I am going to ask you a question that I've been asking a lot lately, Edi. How much would you say you know about internal Spanish politics and the administrative organization of the Spanish state?
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-05 05:55am"disappearing people". :roll: Seriously?

I am talking about arrests, and trials, and due process. Not the secret police kicking in doors in the dead of night and dragging people off to the torture chambers.

And yes, from just a PR perspective, I'd consider that preferable to "civilians beaten bloody in the streets for trying to vote". And from a moral perspective, superior because its precisely targeting the most guilty parties only.
Context doesn't mean much to you, does it.

Consider: Ruled by fascists in the past. The Spanish government using police like fascists. Fascists are known to prefer suppressing public opinion against the state.

Math, you need to do.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-05 05:55am :roll:

I mean, I thought the whole point here was that the courts already did rule against the referendum, and were promptly ignored?
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-05 05:55amWhat happens when the courts rule in favour of the government, and the separatists say "fuck you, we're leaving anyway?" Which we have every reason, based on everything that's happened so far, to suspect would happen.

At some point, you have to actually enforce the law, if it is to have much practical meaning. But perhaps they could have held off on doing so until further options had been tried, if only to make it clear for PR purposes who was in the wrong here.
I mean, this is a bridge Spain would have to jump off when they got to it. As it stood before this fiasco, if you were being truthful about 40%, they wouldn't have needed to jump off this bridge. This wouldn't have even been a legal challenge because unless the separatists were intending to coup, 40% would not have passed jack shit.

It's like cops in New York City not really caring about jaywalking, even though it is technically illegal. There's so much other shit that can possibly be going on that paying attention to catch and process every jaywalker would be such a monumental waste of resources, and this is from a city that employed the racist-ass but ultimately useless Stop-and-Frisk policy for over a decade.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-05 05:55amAt what point would you consider the use of the police justified? Or is there no point where it would be?

If the referendum was ruled to be illegal and/or the results fraudulent, and the separatists said "screw you, we're leaving anyway", and started taking steps to act as an independent government in defiance of the authority of the Spanish government, would that be the time?

I'm just curious as to weather our disagreement is on the exact point at which it would be appropriate to enforce the law, or weather you simply do not recognize the government's right to enforce the law in the case of illegal secession. Because those are somewhat different debates.
To use your hyperbolic sentiment against you, with modifications: If the action not only damages the stability of society, but also the stability of the people. Trying to consider the former without considering the latter is a dangerous proposition that will only raise the chance of a real, true revolt, and not the exaggerated usage you were talking about before. Trying to consider the former without the latter will also lead to a maximum number of casualties on every side.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-05 05:55amAs I'm pretty sure you're aware, I oppose Scottish separatism. I'd have a little more sympathy for them because a) I'm well aware of what a clusterfuck the current British government is, b) they held their referendum legally and democratically, and c) they'd be leaving in part so that they could remain in the EU, which Britain is trying to drag them out of against their will. But I'd still consider it an ill-advised move. And if they did try to illegally, unilaterally secede... I suppose I'd have to come down in favour of the British government suppressing such an attempt (though in both cases, I also recognize that their may come a point where pragmatism requires one to admit defeat to avoid greater bloodshed).
a. Apparently the Catalans believe Spain is a clusterfuck. Spain just handed proof to them on a silver platter too.
b. Oh, so one is more legal than the other. "What is legal is what is right", of course. You can't even claim it was undemocratic because a referendum is the definition of a democracy.
c. Catalonia wishes to have some sort of EU participation too if I recall right. Whether this will actually work in practice is another matter entirely, but this cancels out your point.

If you'd "have to" come in favor of suppression because of simple legality, then I'd prefer you review your sense of morality first.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-05 05:55amPlease desist from characterizing my position as favouring "disappearing" the leaders. "Disappearing" someone has connotations (of which you are doubtless aware) that do not apply to my argument, however badly some people here seem to want to argue that "Spanish government=Franco). I consider this characterization of my argument dishonest, and defamatory.
is it possible to debate with trr without him calling you borderline libelous, i propose we test this in lab
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-05 05:55amAs I said, while the secessionists are in the wrong in my opinion, the Spanish government absolutely fucked up. Those are not contradictory positions.
I made that point to let you know your "most of the Catalans don't want this" schtick is not likely to last now. Fuck, I'm nowhere near Catalan and I interpreted these actions as borderline fascist, and I only remembered the surface details of Catalonia and Franco. How do you think this will be interpreted by native Catalans?!