One in three millennials wish they had grown up in parents' era

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: One in three millennials wish they had grown up in parents' era

Post by NecronLord »

Flagg wrote: 2017-09-11 03:32pm I'd like their economy. Other than that, pfft.
Without wanting to be a me-tooer, yes, this is absolutely the case.

Even as a white-middle-class-male with a list of privilege a mile long, I can't really fathom wanting to go back to the 60s or 70s for any other reason.

Of course, if I had been in my 30s in the 70s I would have been born in the 40s, so probably would have died as a baby so... yeah. No.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Zaune wrote: 2017-09-11 04:21pm
K. A. Pital wrote: 2017-09-11 12:17pmNo internet might actually be a positive thing - a more social life, more outdoors activity, more adventures in the real world instead of behind the screen. :P
You speak for yourself. Before I had regular internet access, friends and a social life were things that happened to other people.
I know, and I do speak for myself (isn't that the purpose of this thread)? I grew up without the internet (got it already after high school) and never had social contact problems. I do appreciate that due to the Internet, i could later expand my social connections out to the entire world. However, I am also aware that for many other people it created an opportunity for shut-in life and desocialization, which are anything but good.

As for Starglider's impression of the 90s, I must say that location defines a lot. While the likes of him and his bankster-gangster buddies were celebrating the collapse of my country, we were facing malnourishment, mafia violence and corruption without end, crushing poverty.

The 90s, s opposed to the 60s, is an age I would never like to relive. Deprssing, full of garbage, blood, real life grimdark storie, agressve criminals and drug epidemics. A perfect era for suicide, but nothing more than that.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Lots of things I like about the past, jobs were securer, unions were stronger, economy was more equal, urbanization and capitalism was not as far along yet... The future is pretty bleak looking in my view if it keeps going the way it has so far.

This is an indictment of todays social and political system and what it has created, rather than a true desire to want things as they where in the 60s. This is a sign that things need to change and drastically.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I think that's a big root cause of it, yes. Especially in the Anglosphere, a lot of institutions have decayed badly over the past 30-50 years, and many of those institutions have a lot to do with the average citizen's ability to enjoy peace of mind and quality of life. We're richer now, we have more options and tools at our disposal, but somehow this has translated into less control of our lives, not more.

This is definitely, as I said, an Anglosphere phenomenon; it may apply to continental Europe and Latin America but I doubt it does to the same degree. And for people living in the former Soviet bloc, China, or other parts of the world, the entire trajectory of history looks different, as Stas points out.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Yeah, I can see it. Put yourself in the place of a lot of people--no job, no hope, the threat of automation taking what few jobs they could hope for (whether or not that threat is real doesn't prevent the impression), and then looking back at a time where there seems to have been lots of jobs for everyone, they could have bought a house and been a valued member of society.
Internet? Meh. It's nice, but before the internet, there was TV and video games. Before then there was radio and board games. Before then the cinema and books, and before then plays. Sport as always existed. If we didn't know it, we wouldn't miss it.

If I was born a generation back, I could have picked up an apprenticeship easily (we had BIG employers in our town), or there was free University. I likely would have got married sooner :D And had more kids :D
Although my son probably wouldn't have had any of the intervention he's needed :cry: and my wife probably would either have comitted suicide or be dosed up on antidepressants, which seems kind of negative, too. But both of those negatives are small-probability events, that would only be true of a small proportion of people.

So, not only would there be people thinking they'd be happier born a generation earlier, a lot of them could well be right.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Being an adult in the 80s would have sucked for me. Shitty racism in a school where saying fuck was so bad, but racist comments apparently weren't. The only good thing about the 80s were the cartoons and the music. Not enough to offset the racism.

Now the 90s weren't so bad. Good music ( the Corrs, Alanis Morisette, Michael Jackson) and racism had settled, until Pauline Hanson the dumb bitch came along and the right wing snowflakes came into being. Being an adult then could have some advantageous, especially since property prices hadn't shoot up yet. That being said, I would most probably not like to be an adult then. My dad still had racism in the workplace.

These days, travel is cheaper so I can indulge my hobby of seeing different places. Internet allows me to meet people elsewhere, such as Edi and K.A. Pital in another country, and the racism seems to be more directed against Muslims now. That last sentence was tongue in cheek. So yeah, being an adult in the noughties most probably still be the best for me.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2017-09-13 06:35am Lots of things I like about the past, jobs were securer, unions were stronger, economy was more equal, urbanization and capitalism was not as far along yet... The future is pretty bleak looking in my view if it keeps going the way it has so far.

This is an indictment of todays social and political system and what it has created, rather than a true desire to want things as they where in the 60s. This is a sign that things need to change and drastically.
Er... no thanks. The riots and assassinations in my country in that decade really, really sucked (amazing Moon landing aside). KA Pital is right, where you were mattered as much as when you were.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-09-13 08:55amBeing an adult in the 80s would have sucked for me. Shitty racism in a school where saying fuck was so bad, but racist comments apparently weren't. The only good thing about the 80s were the cartoons and the music. Not enough to offset the racism.

Now the 90s weren't so bad. Good music ( the Corrs, Alanis Morisette, Michael Jackson) and racism had settled, until Pauline Hanson the dumb bitch came along and the right wing snowflakes came into being. Being an adult then could have some advantageous, especially since property prices hadn't shoot up yet. That being said, I would most probably not like to be an adult then. My dad still had racism in the workplace.
Yeah, had I been born in my parent's era, there's a non-zero chance that I get taken away from my parents for the crime of being Indigenous. Had I made it to adulthood, I could pretty much walk into a job and still be there. Buying one house in Sydney in the eighties would make me a part of today's landed gentry. :P

But that's one hell of a minefield, and one I'd be none too keen to walk.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Gandalf wrote: 2017-09-13 08:25pmYeah, had I been born in my parent's era, there's a non-zero chance that I get taken away from my parents for the crime of being Indigenous. Had I made it to adulthood, I could pretty much walk into a job and still be there. Buying one house in Sydney in the eighties would make me a part of today's landed gentry. :P

That is a good point. Birthplace can have a pretty big impact, especially when coupled with racial issues. I imagine Trevor Noah would never want to grow up in his parents' generation, considering that his mere existence growing up was basically a crime. Hell, his parents instructed him to tell the police, when he was questioned, that the reason he is mixed-race is because his mother was raped, because that was considered a less heinous crime than the idea that a white man and a black woman would have a child consensually. And he was born in 1984. He had to deal with that growing up in this generation.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Civil War Man wrote: 2017-09-14 10:16am
Gandalf wrote: 2017-09-13 08:25pmYeah, had I been born in my parent's era, there's a non-zero chance that I get taken away from my parents for the crime of being Indigenous. Had I made it to adulthood, I could pretty much walk into a job and still be there. Buying one house in Sydney in the eighties would make me a part of today's landed gentry. :P

That is a good point. Birthplace can have a pretty big impact, especially when coupled with racial issues. I imagine Trevor Noah would never want to grow up in his parents' generation, considering that his mere existence growing up was basically a crime. Hell, his parents instructed him to tell the police, when he was questioned, that the reason he is mixed-race is because his mother was raped, because that was considered a less heinous crime than the idea that a white man and a black woman would have a child consensually. And he was born in 1984. He had to deal with that growing up in this generation.
If I had grown up when my mom was growing up in the 60s and 70s... Well, I probably would have offed myself (growing up in the late 90s was bad enough in that respect, I don't even want to think about earlier). If I had made it to adulthood and into the 1980s, I would not be well-adjusted, would probably have ended up engaging in high risk sexual behavior, and there is a good chance that I would have contracted HIV and died horribly.

Nopenopenopenope!
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: 2017-09-14 01:34pmIf I had grown up when my mom was growing up in the 60s and 70s... Well, I probably would have offed myself (growing up in the late 90s was bad enough in that respect, I don't even want to think about earlier). If I had made it to adulthood and into the 1980s, I would not be well-adjusted, would probably have ended up engaging in high risk sexual behavior, and there is a good chance that I would have contracted HIV and died horribly.
I'm honestly a little surprised that I haven't yet. On both counts. Yesterday was my 7-year anniversary with Ex-GF, and I took the safety off my 9mm, chambered a hollowpoint, sat out on the balcony for a while, looked at the moon, and thought, "Even if I lose everything, I could join the Peace Corps or do something valuable, right? I could dig an irrigation ditch or bandage a wound that could save a six-year-old in Africa who'll cure cancer in thirty years or something, right?"

And high-risk sexual behavior is my favorite hobby. Ever since I got Red pregnant, we've stopped using rubbers completely. I know this is a terrible idea, but I do it anyway. We're not monogamous, so I'm exposing myself to the diseases of every random shitheel she fucks.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

If I had grown up in my parents era I'd probably have the same 15 IQ point haircut my dad got from all the lead in his environment. No thanks.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Raw Shark wrote: 2017-09-14 02:26pm And high-risk sexual behavior is my favorite hobby. Ever since I got Red pregnant, we've stopped using rubbers completely. I know this is a terrible idea, but I do it anyway. We're not monogamous, so I'm exposing myself to the diseases of every random shitheel she fucks.
PrEP is a thing. Get some valtrex and some HIV prophylaxis and you might sleep easier. Also, a meningitis of pneumonia vaccine, can't remember which, takes a big chunk out of your risk for getting ghonorea.

All the rest? Too long.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Raw Shark wrote: 2017-09-14 02:26pm
Alyrium Denryle wrote: 2017-09-14 01:34pmIf I had grown up when my mom was growing up in the 60s and 70s... Well, I probably would have offed myself (growing up in the late 90s was bad enough in that respect, I don't even want to think about earlier). If I had made it to adulthood and into the 1980s, I would not be well-adjusted, would probably have ended up engaging in high risk sexual behavior, and there is a good chance that I would have contracted HIV and died horribly.
I'm honestly a little surprised that I haven't yet. On both counts. Yesterday was my 7-year anniversary with Ex-GF, and I took the safety off my 9mm, chambered a hollowpoint, sat out on the balcony for a while, looked at the moon, and thought, "Even if I lose everything, I could join the Peace Corps or do something valuable, right? I could dig an irrigation ditch or bandage a wound that could save a six-year-old in Africa who'll cure cancer in thirty years or something, right?"

And high-risk sexual behavior is my favorite hobby. Ever since I got Red pregnant, we've stopped using rubbers completely. I know this is a terrible idea, but I do it anyway. We're not monogamous, so I'm exposing myself to the diseases of every random shitheel she fucks.
And also another pregnancy. You are also exposing Pepsi Girl to every random shitheel she fucks. Seriously dude, use condoms.

As for the suicide thing, yes. Yes you could. Also if you were to do that, I for one would miss you (also: check your PMs).

Jr. High was bad for me, but I never seriously considered suicide. The thought crossed my mind occasionally, but I knew I had a future to look forward to, so always knew The Shit was temporary.

In the 60s and 70s though, well, my parents would not have been able to divorce in all probability, which meant I would have been under my father's thumb, which means I would have been subjected to physical and psychological abuse, and then "conversion therapy". My existence would have been universally criminal and I would not have perceived myself having a future. That... that would have been sufficient I think to get me to eat a shotgun.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I like this generation. Technology is better, we're getting less racist, and people are getting somewhat more aware. Even Trump is the sign of a flailing generation unwilling to let go
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Well I would likely not have all of the problems Agent Orange (and we found out my mom may have been exposed to dioxin at Basic) blessed me with so my only disability would probably just be having been born in Texas. But then we get into what my father was (or as I'd say it being a Texan, "Wut mah daddy wuz") and I'd probably be on death row for making people-suits or still making people-suits. :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

FireNexus wrote: 2017-09-14 02:40pm If I had grown up in my parents era I'd probably have the same 15 IQ point haircut my dad got from all the lead in his environment. No thanks.
That haircut sent a man to the moon, son.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Flagg wrote: 2017-09-15 12:36pm
FireNexus wrote: 2017-09-14 02:40pm If I had grown up in my parents era I'd probably have the same 15 IQ point haircut my dad got from all the lead in his environment. No thanks.
I think you overestimate my Dad's sense of style. Also, the guys who did that were formed before we started pumping it into the air.

All the rest? Too long.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Civil War Man wrote: 2017-09-12 10:49am
JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-11 11:20pm I like my parents economy and pop culture, but nothing else.
I'd personally be leery of even going with pop culture, because our modern context warps our perception of it. For the most part, we only remember the outstanding examples from that time period (mostly the good, but also sometimes the exceptionally bad) because they were the only pieces worth preserving. And choices were much more limited back then, as well. Fewer channels on TV, fewer movies at the theaters, etc, so if you didn't like what was showing on the screen you were shit out of luck. You also had even more moral watchdog groups or government entities, like the Legion of Decency or the House Un-American Activities Committee, than we do now preventing certain shows or movies from showing in certain areas, or even being made at all. Also, with no tools like the internet, it takes considerably more effort to find the stuff that is not in the mainstream.

One of the benefits of today is that we still have access to the good stuff from back then, plus the good stuff from today if we are willing to sift through the dross to find it.
I think you can say that about any era, including today, particularly toward music, is what I generally meant by my mom's pop culture in the 60s and 70s (fuck the 80s). For instance, there are very few group out there today who have decent music. Any new music I listen to is from artists who still churn out work and been around for 15 years.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

FireNexus wrote: 2017-09-15 01:07pm
Flagg wrote: 2017-09-15 12:36pm
I think you overestimate my Dad's sense of style. Also, the guys who did that were formed before we started pumping it into the air.
True. It was in the water, then! :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

Thirty years would put me in the second half of Francoism and, for all that I do not have to worry about the sexual or ethnic issues of the time, I have enough knowledge of history to give that a wide pass. I might sign up for ten to fifteen years earlier, though. Entering the workplace just as the great recession was starting to roll in kinda sucked more than I can describe in the tongues of men.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

My dad got to go to Vietnam. I still got to go to Iraq and Afghanistan, but those were comparative vacations. And free internet porn, can't beat that. Nope, not switching.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.