Russia seizes American property

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Russia seizes American property

Post by FaxModem1 »

The Independent
Russia seizes American property in Moscow and cuts US diplomatic staff in retaliation to fresh sanctions
Embassy staff must leave the country by 1 September

Tom Batchelor @_tombatchelor 2 hours ago58 comments

Click to follow
The Independent Online
vladimir-putin.jpg
The number of American diplomats in Russia will fall to 455 under the plan Reuters
Russia has ordered America to cut the number of diplomatic staff it has in the country and has seized a dacha compound and warehouse used by US officials in retaliation for new sanctions against Moscow.

Embassy staff must leave the country by 1 September, the Foreign Ministry said in a statement, in a move triggered by the US Senate’s near unanimous vote to slap new sanctions on Russia, further hurting its fragile economy.

The move puts Donald Trump in a tough position by forcing him to take a hard line on Moscow or block the legislation and anger his own Republican Party.

READ MORE
US senators vote overwhelmingly for new sanctions on Russia
Russia’s Foreign Ministry also accused Washington of “extreme aggression in international affairs”.

The US embassy's recreational retreat on the outskirts of Moscow will be closed as well as warehouse facilities.

The number of American diplomats will fall to 455 under the plan, the Foreign Ministry added. It was not immediately clear how many US diplomats now serve in Russia.

Relations between Russia and the United States dropped to a post-Cold War low following Russia's annexation of Crimea and interference in eastern Ukraine in 2014.

Reports of Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election have dampened hopes for better ties that the Kremlin pinned on Mr Trump's presidency.

us-embassy-moscow.jpg
Russian policemen stand guard in front of the US Embassy in Moscow (Getty)
The new package of sanctions aims to hit Vladimir Putin and his inner circle by targeting alleged corrupt officials, human rights abusers and crucial sectors of the Russian economy, including weapons sales and energy exports.

The bill underwent revisions to address concerns voiced by American oil and natural gas companies that sanctions specific to Russia's energy sector could backfire on them.

Russia's Foreign Ministry dismissed the new sanctions as "creating unfair competitive advantages for the US economy”.

READ MORE
White House sanctions Russia over election hacking
"This kind of blackmail aimed at restricting the cooperation between Russia and other nations is a threat for many countries and global businesses," the statement said.

Russia's response mirrors moves by outgoing President Barack Obama last December to expel 35 Russian diplomats and shut down two Russian estates in the US.

Moscow said it would cut the US diplomatic corps even further if the U.S. decides to expel more Russian diplomats.

The Kremlin had previously said that it would not impose any sanctions on the US until Mr Trump signs the bill.

On Thursday the senate backed the sanctions bill, which also imposes sanctions on Iran and North Korea, by a margin of 98-2 with strong support from Mr Trump's fellow Republicans as well as Democrats.

It will now be sent to the White House for Mr Trump to sign into law or veto.
Thoughts?
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Russia seizes American property

Post by mr friendly guy »

Tit for tat it seems.

Another thing to consider is, is Trump still pro Russian. My thoughts are, even if he personally is, he is so fucking incompetent and running the show that the US will most probably not have a coherent policy. I mean we see so many back flips, I myself have noted several in one of the Trump mega threads. Personally if the US is too busy sorting out its own internal mess, then we might get less wars, er I mean interventions elsewhere.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-07-28 11:27am Tit for tat it seems.

Another thing to consider is, is Trump still pro Russian. My thoughts are, even if he personally is, he is so fucking incompetent and running the show that the US will most probably not have a coherent policy. I mean we see so many back flips, I myself have noted several in one of the Trump mega threads. Personally if the US is too busy sorting out its own internal mess, then we might get less wars, er I mean interventions elsewhere.
If Trump was supported by anyone in Russia, his obvious disruptive incompetence was probably high on the list of desirable features...
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

A response to the current round of sanctions, it seems.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I can't comment on the international politics, but I do foresee Trump supporters crowing "see, clearly Trump isn't working with Russia, duh!" and feeling vindicated. And probably then finding a way to blame Clinton or Obama for this because reasons.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

At this point, Putin could be putting boots on the ground in California while Trump declares he gave permission for them to conduct "just a few military exercises nothing to worry about fellas" there, and Trump people would still say "nope, no buddy buddy friendliness, nope nope it's all FaKe NeWs".
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I wonder how many loads of Putin's jism Donnie Dingleberry will have to swallow before that American property will be returned. I figure at least 7 gallons. :mrgreen:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Flagg wrote: 2017-07-28 05:53pm I wonder how many loads of Putin's jism Donnie Dingleberry will have to swallow before that American property will be returned. I figure at least 7 gallons. :mrgreen:
The average human man's ejaculate is about a teaspoon in volume, or 5mL. Let's assume that Putin is double that, because he's Vladimir Putin, so two teaspoons. There are 768 teaspoons in a U.S. gallon. That's more than seven years' worth, assuming the leaders of both nations could work out their schedules to the point that a once/day session was feasible. So if they got started now, it would take until the Trump lame duck period near the end of his second term. *shudder*

In other words, not feasible at all. Honestly, did you not do even the most rudimentary calculations? I didn't even have to approximate Putin as a spherical volume of iron...
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Vendetta wrote: 2017-07-28 01:28pm

If Trump was supported by anyone in Russia, his obvious disruptive incompetence was probably high on the list of desirable features...
True, and I am sure there are some leaders who would most probably prefer Trump's erratic behaviour and incompetence to the predictability of every other candidate. That being said, I was referring to what Trump thinks of Russia and not what Russia thinks of Trump (which is most along the lines of he is better for us than Hilary).
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-07-28 08:26pm
Vendetta wrote: 2017-07-28 01:28pm

True, and I am sure there are some leaders who would most probably prefer Trump's erratic behaviour and incompetence to the predictability of every other candidate. That being said, I was referring to what Trump thinks of Russia and not what Russia thinks of Trump (which is most along the lines of he is better for us than Hilary).
I'm sure Trump loves how Russia treats is kleptocratic oligarchs and views it as a model society for the benefit of Donald Trump. In terms of Russia as geopolitical rival of the United States, well, that's in the category if things which are not Donald Trump so he wasn't listening when they told him about it.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-07-28 11:27amTit for tat it seems.

Indeed.

The Russians were never going to get an intelligent agent on Russia's side into the White House.

What they could do was (with considerable luck) get a crazed agent into the White House, an agent of random chaos who is at least favorably disposed towards Russia in general, and too crazy and ignorant to be effective in leading rivalry against Russia.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

SCRawl wrote: 2017-07-28 07:52pm
Flagg wrote: 2017-07-28 05:53pm I wonder how many loads of Putin's jism Donnie Dingleberry will have to swallow before that American property will be returned. I figure at least 7 gallons. :mrgreen:
The average human man's ejaculate is about a teaspoon in volume, or 5mL. Let's assume that Putin is double that, because he's Vladimir Putin, so two teaspoons. There are 768 teaspoons in a U.S. gallon. That's more than seven years' worth, assuming the leaders of both nations could work out their schedules to the point that a once/day session was feasible. So if they got started now, it would take until the Trump lame duck period near the end of his second term. *shudder*

In other words, not feasible at all. Honestly, did you not do even the most rudimentary calculations? I didn't even have to approximate Putin as a spherical volume of iron...
You didn't know that Putin is all "Howard Hughs" about his baby batter, blasting it into mason jars and putting it in cold storage?

I went from laughing to gagging to laughing typing that. :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

I suppose that if Trump were to blow all of Putin's friends as well, that time could be shortened rather considerably.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong