Why dismantle ACA which could had saved my son

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: Why dismantle ACA which could had saved my son

Post by PainRack »

The problem is people dont realise they need services until they do. And as a conservative market orientated program , well, it hits the nice sweet spot of having the flaws of having to buy something(private) and being forced to do so (public), while being expensive enough that it's much more significant than car insurance

Etolls for congestion in London or Singapore certificate of entitlement for cars face similar public perception issues.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: Why dismantle ACA which could had saved my son

Post by PainRack »

Bedlam wrote: 2017-07-25 08:36pm
Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-07-25 02:07pm They were fairly common throughout the Western world a hundred years ago. The real question is why whatever rolled back that attitude in most Western countries didn't do a good job in the US, if you ask me.
Well here in Britain it's certainly seen as WW2 which prompted national health care. Basically it was seen that the population had suffered to keep the nation alive during the war so now the nation needed to give something back.

Why it never caught on in the US, I can't claim to know for certain but I think it's probably a mix of feeling like you 'won' the war rather than just surviving it so you didn't really need to change things much because they were working fine already and the fact that your country wasn't wrecked at the end of it, the UK basically had to work for the next two decades to put things back together where as the US was already on top and could grow from the fact that all it's competitors had been smashed to rubble.

It's probably not that simple but it's part of the difference between the US and say Western Europe.
https://peopleshistorynhs.org/memories- ... h-service/

Saw this link, do you think the social context of hospitals being for the poor might have an bearing on the different routes taken between US and UK
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner