Tennessee candidate runs "Make America White Again" billboard

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Tennessee candidate runs "Make America White Again" billboard

Post by Rogue 9 »

Washington Post
‘Make America White Again’: A politician’s billboard ignites uproar

By Lindsey Bever
June 23, 2016

An independent candidate for Congress from Tennessee has been swept up in a wave of criticism for his campaign billboard vowing to "Make American White Again."

Rick Tyler, who is running for the 3rd Congressional District in the northeastern part of the state, said he put up the billboard alongside Highway 411 in Polk County to make a point that "the 'Leave It to Beaver,' 'Ozzie and Harriet,' 'Mayberry' America of old was vastly superior to what we are experiencing today."

In a Facebook post Wednesday night, Tyler wrote: "It was an America where doors were left unlocked, violent crime was a mere fraction of today's rate of occurrence, there were no car jackings, home invasions, Islamic Mosques or radical Jihadist sleeper cells."

But the billboard's message, a spin on Donald Trump's "Make America Great Again" slogan, has been widely derided as a display of bigotry and racism.

It was taken down Tuesday night, according to ABC affiliate WTVC.

Tyler did not immediately respond to requests for comment from The Washington Post. But his campaign website, featuring an illustration of the White House surrounded by a dozen Confederate flags, explains his motivation for the advertisement:
The "Make America White Again" billboard advertisement will cut to the very core and marrow of what plagues us as a nation. As Anne Coulter so effectively elucidates in her book, Adios America, the overhaul of America’s immigration law in the 1960’s has placed us on an inevitable course of demise and destruction. Yes…the cunning globalist/Marxist social engineers have succeeded in destroying that great bulwark against statist tyranny…the white American super majority. Without its expedited restoration little hope remains for the nation as a whole.
Tyler, a 58-year-old self-described "entrepreneur, pastor and political candidate," ran as an independent in the 2014 Senate race, getting less than half a percentage point of the vote against Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.).

He also owns a restaurant called Whitewater Grill in Ocoee, Tenn., an unincorporated community in Polk County.

But it's his recent campaign tactic that thrust him into the national spotlight.

In announcing his roadside statement, Tyler proposed several other billboard options on his campaign website, including one that reads, "Fight Federal Tyranny. Stop the Muslim Invasion."

NBC affiliate WRCB reported that Tyler's campaign put another billboard along Highway 64 showing the White House surrounded by Confederate flags. At the top of that billboard are Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous words: "I Have a Dream."

The advertisements angered some area residents and community and state leaders.

"There's no room for this type of hateful display in our political discourse," Ryan Haynes, the Tennessee Republican Party chairman, told WRCB in a statement. "Racism should be rejected in all its heinous forms in the Third Congressional District and around the country."

Rep. Charles J. "Chuck" Fleischmann (R-Tenn.), who currently represents the 3rd District, also spoke out against Tyler's message.

"I totally and unequivocally condemn the billboard and Mr. Tyler’s message and will vigorously fight any form of racism in the 3rd district of Tennessee or anywhere else in the nation," the congressman said in a statement to the news station.

Others have rebuked Tyler on his restaurant and campaign Facebook pages, charging that Tyler is "peddling the same old hateful KKK garbage in a new package" and has "dishonored the state of Tennessee."

"My family was here long before the Revolutionary War and we have served in every armed conflict this nation has been involved since we began," one poster wrote. "Many of those ancestors were from Warren County, TN and are rolling over in their graves that you are still perpetuating the myth that we are superior over others because of our lighter colored skin. You do not represent the values of modern day enlightened Tennesseans. Crawl back under your rock of disgusting racism and take anyone who believes as you do with you."

Amid the backlash, Tyler posted a lengthy response on Facebook, thanking those who participated in "the controversy spawned by the 'Make America White Again' billboard" while acknowledging "'frothing at the mouth lunatics' who react in a completely irrational, emotional, Pavlovian dog fashion."

"You see," Tyler wrote, "this is not a mere publicity stunt, but rather a calculated maneuver to dispense hardcore truth while simultaneously doing an end run around the iron curtain of censorship. As Orwell stated, 'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.' Unfortunately, a globalist cartel has long held power in our nation, and in effect, there has already been a soft revolution wherein lawful constitutional government has been supplanted by a rogue band of oligarchic criminals.

"Those who seek to set things aright are actually counter-revolutionaries, endeavoring to facilitate the restoration of lawful, constitutional government."

Here is Tyler's statement in full.

Tennessee's primary is Aug. 4.
You can't make this shit up. :roll:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Re: Tennessee candidate runs "Make America White Again" billboard

Post by Joun_Lord »

Well atleast he's honest. Most people who jack off to the 40s and 50s and how great it was, complaining how today sucks, its music sucks and the times when the Ink Spots were all the rage was the era to live will never say the only reason they would love that era is because they are white. That while the era had fantastic music but alot of the singers like Ella Fitzgerald would never have been allowed through the front door of the places they sung at.

It definitely is like the "Make America Great Again" thing Donnie pedals. Whether or not its the intent it definitely evokes some rose tinted racially biased view of the past. America used to be great if you were a white straight christian upper class male. For everyone else America now.....ish is about as best as its gotten.

Also I love that this idiot is sucking Confederate dick while saying America needs to be made great again. It just always struck me as a little fucking stupid, okay maybe alot stupid, that people jacking off about how they love American also are jacking off over the Confederacy, you know the fucking bastards who decided to leave America, who killed shittons of Americans in their efforts to stay unAmerican.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yeah, "Make America Great Again" was pretty much always code for "White Power!"
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

June 23, 2016
Did this candidate get elected ?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yeah, I thought this sounded familiar.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Rick Tyler received 1.9% of the vote (5098 ballots), narrowly beating the second-least-unpopular independent candidate, Cassandra Mitchell, who received 5075 ballots. By contrast, the Democratic candidate in this election won 28.8% of the vote (76727 ballots) and the Republican won incumbent won 176613 ballots, a whopping 66.4% of the vote.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov