Breitbart Loses 90 Percent of Its Advertisers

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Breitbart Loses 90 Percent of Its Advertisers

Post by mr friendly guy »

The original link the David Pakman show linked to is from WaPo, who themselves got the info from some other company
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/bus ... a967d6d4f4

No I am not going to copy the article because it requires me to disable ad block to read the article, and damn if I am going to give money to WaPo.

However a quick google search reveals other sites reporting it.

https://digiday.com/media/breitbart-ads ... les-mount/
THE PROGRAMMATIC PUBLISHER
Breitbart ads plummet nearly 90 percent in three months as Trump’s troubles mount
JUNE 6, 2017 by Lucia Moses

Six months ago, Breitbart was riding the wave of the election, plotting an international expansion to provide a platform to spread far-right, populist views in Europe. But today, Breitbart is facing traffic declines, advertiser blacklists, campaigns for marketers to steer clear and even a petition within Amazon for it to stop providing ad services.

There were just 26 brands appearing on Breitbart in May, down from a high of 242 in March, according to MediaRadar, which tracks ads on websites. Many conservative sites, including Townhall, The Blaze and National Review, have also had declines, although those declines are much less pronounced than Breitbart, according to MediaRadar.

Traffic numbers tell another part of the story. Breitbart had 10.8 million uniques in April, down 13 percent from a year ago, according to comScore. (However, many news sites peaked after Donald Trump’s inauguration and have seen audience decline since then; Breitbart was 67th among news/information sites in April, little unchanged from a year ago when it was 62nd.)

The site’s decline also coincides with boycotts aimed at getting advertisers to stop running ads on the site. One, Sleeping Giants, a Twitter account started in November, has tracked the number of advertisers worldwide that have committed to stop advertising on Breitbart and its ilk. There were 2,200 on the list as of June 5, according to one of the account’s anonymous organizers. Ad tech companies including AppNexus and The Trade Desk have stopped sending ads to Breitbart.

Breitbart has had problems of its own making, with its high-profile senior editor Milo Yiannopoulos resigning in February after making controversial statements about pedophilia. Yesterday, Breitbart parted ways with writer Katie McHugh after she tweeted that the U.K. wouldn’t have suffered terrorist attacks if there weren’t any Muslims in the country.

Breitbart’s editor and site haven’t replied to requests for comment.

More broadly, Breitbart has been caught up in the escalating scandal over fake news and “unsafe” content on platforms like YouTube and Facebook. Many marketers are now tightening brand-safety guidelines. But even if Breitbart’s advertising dries up completely, it still has a billionaire benefactor in Robert Mercer so it may stick around anyway — and a commerce business that hawks T-shirts, coffee mugs and beer koozies.

From January to March, there were 20 categories of advertisers on Breitbart, many of them coming from media/entertainment and retail, according to MediaRadar. But by April, the advertisers had dwindled to mostly targeted, conservative brands that were buying programmatically, including American Patriot Daily and Cosmohurtskids.com.

“What this means is that it’s now only able to get demand via Google Ad Exchange and Taboola, and it’s filled with classic direct-response advertising bought on a performance basis whose buyers don’t care about the same things brands do,” said Jonathan Mendez, CEO of Yieldbot, an ad-tech company that competes with Google by letting advertisers buy display ads by keywords.

Ad watchdogs aren’t ready to declare victory just yet, though. There are still tech holdouts. Breitbart still has Taboola’s content recommendation engine and ads by Google appearing on its site. Amazon still advertises products through Breitbart, despite pressure from employees to cut its ties.

“It’s still a mess the way programmatic works,” said the Sleeping Giants organizer, recently named a Digiday Changemaker. “Despite what a lot of the programmatic companies say, [once-blacklisted ads] are still showing up later. For us, victory would look like programmatic companies like Google and Taboola and everyone else waking up to the fact that this hurts brands and placing more emphasis on corporate responsibility than profits.”
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Breitbart Loses 90 Percent of Its Advertisers

Post by The Romulan Republic »

What do you know? There is at least a little Justice in the world.

And hey, the Right can't complain. Its the wonders of the Free Market at work. :D
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Aleister Crowley
Redshirt

Post by Aleister Crowley »

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Even if they lose their advertising, I'm sure they'll find some more. The internet is full of people trying to sell something. All one has to do is disable the adblocker and you'll see how much stuff there is out there. Some of it is super inane and some of it is useful, but it can be hard to really know. In other words, there is a market for everything imaginable and then some. I'm sure Breitbart will be able to find people willing to have their ads on the site, even if it's for water filters and homopathic remedies. You know, stuff that the audience and reader base would appreciate. Also things like "This one weird trick that takes care of baldness" and "How to remove fluoride from water" ads. Anyway, maybe this will teach them a lesson - whatever that may be.

Love is the law, love under will.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Aleister Crowley wrote:Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Even if they lose their advertising, I'm sure they'll find some more. The internet is full of people trying to sell something. All one has to do is disable the adblocker and you'll see how much stuff there is out there. Some of it is super inane and some of it is useful, but it can be hard to really know. In other words, there is a market for everything imaginable and then some. I'm sure Breitbart will be able to find people willing to have their ads on the site, even if it's for water filters and homopathic remedies. You know, stuff that the audience and reader base would appreciate. Also things like "This one weird trick that takes care of baldness" and "How to remove fluoride from water" ads. Anyway, maybe this will teach them a lesson - whatever that may be.

Love is the law, love under will.
Even if they find those type of new sponsors, the amount of money they spend is likely not going to be the same as companies like Amazon or Dick's Sporting Goods or whomever that can buy ads in greater frequency, duration, and space than the strip club or golf course, etc they have now.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I always feel uneasy when I read these stories about how the invisible hand of the market just totally pimp-slapped racism/sexism/general shittiness. It's nice when it happens, but it can just as easily go the other way, if not more so.
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Ralin wrote:I always feel uneasy when I read these stories about how the invisible hand of the market just totally pimp-slapped racism/sexism/general shittiness. It's nice when it happens, but it can just as easily go the other way, if not more so.
It already did on Youtube with many Progressive channels slammed and now relying on Patreon to keep themselves going. TYT looks to be affected too or at least for their smaller side channels as I just saw one of the hosts (Jason Iadarola of Think Tank) put up a Patreon page today for his show.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Soontir C'boath wrote: It already did on Youtube with many Progressive channels slammed and now relying on Patreon to keep themselves going. TYT looks to be affected too or at least for their smaller side channels as I just saw one of the hosts (Jason Iadarola of Think Tank) put up a Patreon page today for his show.
You also have take into account that the bad publicity from advertising on sites with content most of the population finds objectionable can be worth it if it means reaching a smaller demographic that will buy your products just to spite the social justice warriors or whatever. There's no such thing as bad publicity, as the saying goes.
Soontir C'boath

Ralin wrote:You also have take into account that the bad publicity from advertising on sites with content most of the population finds objectionable can be worth it if it means reaching a smaller demographic that will buy your products just to spite the social justice warriors or whatever. There's no such thing as bad publicity, as the saying goes.
Don't know how well that would actually work now. The WAPO article compared the ad click through rates for various media sites and Breitbart was lower on the pole than others which indicates that their readership might not be the demographic they would care for. In the end, losing 90% of their sponsors is a huge shortfall to make up.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Soontir C'boath wrote: Don't know how well that would actually work now. The WAPO article compared the ad click through rates for various media sites and Breitbart was lower on the pole than others which indicates that their readership might not be the demographic they would care for. In the end, losing 90% of their sponsors is a huge shortfall to make up.
I was speaking generally, but that's good.