Republican Politician Shot: Steve Scalise

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Republican Politician Shot: Steve Scalise

Post by LadyTevar »

Since the shooter died of his wounds, we'll never know what made him snap.

What we do know is he left his wife and moved to DC several months before the attack, which to me leans towards "pre-meditated" just as much as the volume of ammo. We know he asked a witness "Are these the Republicans?" before he found his shooting spot, which tells me he didn't have a single person targeted, he was just after the GOP. We know that Scarlise had an armed security detail that shot back, and helped keep the shooter pinned and unable to do more damage before the police came.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:So early indications are a left-wing extremist? Unfortunate, but I was expecting something like this to happen sooner or later. The downside is that there are a lot less outright violent extremists on the left than there are on the right, and guess which side tends to actually be armed for bear....
So... a Left-winger shoots up a bunch of Republicans, and you think the downside is that there aren't more violent Left-wing extremists?
No. You need to do something about those knee-jerk reactions.

I'm saying that there is a disparity in power level (not the best term but it'll do for now) between the two. As such that means that if the right wing extremists want to start a war or whatever, they're more likely to "win" (or in other words, kill more people) because there are more of them and they're better armed. It's not really about shooting back, it's more a simple matter of numbers.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Elheru Aran wrote:No. You need to do something about those knee-jerk reactions.

I'm saying that there is a disparity in power level (not the best term but it'll do for now) between the two. As such that means that if the right wing extremists want to start a war or whatever, they're more likely to "win" (or in other words, kill more people) because there are more of them and they're better armed. It's not really about shooting back, it's more a simple matter of numbers.
Elheru, this isn't the John Brown moment... not yet. This is still the start of the movement, and I fear it will get worse from here for both sides, similar to the 'border war' between Abolitionists and SlaveOwners in Kansas. But that was just extremists like John Brown skirmishing, and the real fight can still be derailed

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

LadyTevar wrote:Since the shooter died of his wounds, we'll never know what made him snap.

What we do know is he left his wife and moved to DC several months before the attack, which to me leans towards "pre-meditated" just as much as the volume of ammo. We know he asked a witness "Are these the Republicans?" before he found his shooting spot, which tells me he didn't have a single person targeted, he was just after the GOP. We know that Scarlise had an armed security detail that shot back, and helped keep the shooter pinned and unable to do more damage before the police came.
Eh, the fact that the only actual Congressmen shot was the senior one present sort of blows the " any Republican" out of the water. It seems to me he just wanted to confirm he had the right spot, and then when in position definetly picked the Whip specifically/intentionally for the first target.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Patroklos wrote:Surely you understand there is a difference between a crazy person killing random people (Sandy Hook) for non political motives and a targeted assassination for political motives. For some ends, say general gun control arguments, the distinction is meaningless. For LOTS of other reasons, it makes a big difference.

The simple fact is citizens murdering their democratically elected leaders, for whatever reason whether good or bad to any particular point of view, is a much bigger deal than the killing of other citizens. At least it was when Giffords was the target, maybe the board has changed its mind since then.
All of what you say has nothing to do with calling it what it is, a false flag op, but thanks for playing.
The Romulan Republic wrote:I am disgusted but not surprised by the number of people either tiptoeing around calling this what it is (domestic terrorism), or seeming outright supportive of it.
I'm not supportive of anything that didn't happen in the first place. He's as far we all know alive. He could have very well just faked his surgery stay.
And yeah, God damn you Soontir C'boath for making me agree with Patroklos, but this is nothing like Sandy Hook. And yeah, if this had been a Republican out to shoot Democrats, this board would be screaming to high heaven. But I guess its okay when your tribe does it?
What does this have to do with this being a false flag op? Don't connect the first paragraph with the second. They're separate for a reason. That's your reading comprehension problem.
If the Left starts adopting the tactics of Right wing extremists, its going to escalate and escalate. Is that what you people want? Or are you just in denial about that possibility?
Again, what does this have to do with this being a false flag op? 66 year old guy who happens to support Bernie and is now dead instead of taken alive like many other white people? Yea right.
You can also bet that this is going to be used by Trumpers and Centrist Democrats alike to brand Bernie supporters and progressives generally as dangerous radicals and terrorists.
That's what makes it a perfect false flag op. Duh.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

It appears you don't understand what a false flag op is...

Or your a Truther with a new bone?
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Patroklos wrote:It appears you don't understand what a false flag op is...

Or your a Truther with a new bone?
Or you're just too stupid to see it. I can't help with that.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Ah, so its the "I have a unique yet unprovable insight that all you SHEEPLE just can't comprehend" schtick.

So a Truther. Have fun in The Matrix Neo.
Last edited by Patroklos on 2017-06-15 01:12am, edited 1 time in total.
Soontir C'boath

Patroklos wrote:Ah, so its the "I have a unique yet unprovable insight that all SHEEPLE just can't comprehend" schtick.

So a Truther. Have fun with that Truther.
:lol:

Ok, ok. Read my first post again, and go palm face your fucking self.

Read. It. Carefully.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Ralin wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote: You can also bet that this is going to be used by Trumpers and Centrist Democrats alike to brand Bernie supporters and progressives generally as dangerous radicals and terrorists.
You fail to grasp that we don't greatly care about that because decades of experience has shown it doesn't matter. Republicans don't need reality on their side to do any of those things. It doesn't matter what pretext they use or invent; their base will eat it up all the same. Trying to prove that we're totally the respectable and peaceful leftists doesn't make a damned bit of difference other than distract from actually working to improve things.
See, you and I disagree that escalating street violence is "working to improve things".

Actually, I don't think you really see it as improving things either. I think you just want to hurt people you don't like.

Will abiding by the law win over the die-hard Alt. Right radicals? No. I don't expect it will. But it will matter to people in the Centre, and to people on the Left who do not feel we have reached the point of violence being justified. Those are people we do not want to alienate. And if, God forbid, we ever do find ourselves in a state of wide-spread violence, then I want it to be damn certain that we didn't fire the first shot.

So you want to defend this shooting? I'll report you again right now.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote:See, you and I disagree that escalating street violence is "working to improve things".
That's because you're a privileged little fuck who's insulated from the consequences of all this and regards the whole thing as a pretext to grandstand online about Baby's First Politics. 'Street violence' in America has already begun. When the police shoot an unarmed black guy in the back on camera for selling DVDs or some shit heads lynch someone for being Muslim or trans or someone they think looks Muslim or trans or any of a dozen other demographics that the people whose rights you're so determined to defend want to murder? That’s fucking street violence.
Actually, I don't think you really see it as improving things either. I think you just want to hurt people you don't like.
Actually, I don’t think you really see this little Lord Fauntleroy routine of yours as improving things either. I think you just want a pretext to mouth off and play leftist without ever having to back it up with any sort of action.
Will abiding by the law win over the die-hard Alt. Right radicals? No. I don't expect it will. But it will matter to people in the Centre, and to people on the Left who do not feel we have reached the point of violence being justified. Those are people we do not want to alienate.
People who sort of maybe could go either way between voting for fascists and white supremacism and not depending on whether they’re sufficiently catered to and not alienated by scary radical leftists fighting back against literal neo-Nazis aren’t centrists. They’re less committed racists.
And if, God forbid, we ever do find ourselves in a state of wide-spread violence, then I want it to be damn certain that we didn't fire the first shot.
And this sums it up perfectly. People (not me, never me) are being murdered in the streets. But I’ll never fail to wave a stern finger at people who fight back against it because then it wouldn’t be clear in retrospect that I totally didn’t start it.

You’re not a leftist. You’re just cosplaying as one.
Not responsible for what the voices in your head are saying. Also what are you, twelve?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
Patroklos wrote:Ah, so its the "I have a unique yet unprovable insight that all SHEEPLE just can't comprehend" schtick.

So a Truther. Have fun with that Truther.
:lol:

Ok, ok. Read my first post again, and go palm face your fucking self.

Read. It. Carefully.
He's now under the obligation to prove you're a "truther". Which is hilarious. Also funny that he doesn't understand what a false flag op is.

I mean you're full shit and have watched "Bob Roberts" too much, but I've never seen evidence of trutherism.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Take the "False Flag" and "Truther" shit elsewhere, assholes. Here's what we've found out (bolding is mine). The signs of a Lone Nutcase are all there.
BBC news wrote:A picture is building of the prime suspect in the shooting ambush on Republican congressman at a baseball practice in Alexandria, Virginia.
James T Hodgkinson, who shot and wounded congressman Steve Scalise and injured three others, was carrying an assault rifle and pistol, according to authorities.
Five people including two police officers were taken to Washington DC-area hospitals. Hodgkinson died in the firefight with the congressional security detail.
The 66-year-old was from Belleville, Illinois, a small city just across the Mississippi River from the city of St Louis, Missouri.
He was self-employed until recently and worked as a home inspector.
Michael Hodgkinson, the suspect's brother, told the New York Times that James had become upset about the election of President Donald Trump and had moved to the Washington DC area "out of the blue" to protest.
Hodgkinson's wife told the ABC News that her husband moved to Virginia two months ago. She told neighbours only that he was travelling.
FBI investigators say he had been living in a white cargo van in the Washington DC suburbs since leaving his Illinois home.
Former Alexandria mayor Bill Euille told the Washington Post that he had seen James Hodgkinson every morning for the last month and a half at the local YMCA gym, using the showers.
Mr Euille said he was helping Hodgkinson look for a job in the area, that Hodgkinson spent hours on his laptop, and that it appeared he was homeless.
"He'd open up his gym bag and in it, he had everything he owned. He was living out of the gym bag," the mayor told the paper. "He sat in the Y's lobby for hours and hours."
The YMCA's lobby has a view of the playing field where the shooting took place.
Hodgkinson also frequented a bar at a nearby barbecue restaurant where he ordered Budweisers and watched golf. The bartenders say he was quiet, but "creepy".
"He'd sit there with a slight grin after a few beers. Not a happy smile when I'd glance over at him, but a creepy one," a bartender told Politico.
Back in Belleville, a childhood friend who knew him by his middle name "Thomas" told reporters he was "not evil", while his former lawyer characterised him as "a misanthrope" and "a very irascible, angry little man".
In 1996, the Belleville News-Democrat reported that his 17-year-old foster daughter committed suicide by pouring petrol over herself and setting herself on fire in her car. At the time, Hodgkinson was shocked, telling the paper she had been a "very practical, level-headed girl".
In 2002, he and his wife took custody of their 12-year-old great niece. However, she was returned to state custody three months after a violent episode with Hodgkinson.
According to court documents, the 2006 altercation took place after Hodgkinson tried to retrieve a 16-year-old girl believed to be his daughter from her friend's house.
The responding officer wrote in his report that the girl said Hodgkinson dragged her by her hair and beat her.
He then allegedly sliced into her seatbelt with a pocket knife and choked her as she tried to drive away.

Aimee Moreland, Hodgkinson's daughter's friend, told the Daily Beast that "he was really awful to [his daughter]" and that "he was always angry".
He also allegedly shot at Moreland's boyfriend with a 12-gauge shotgun and punched Moreland in the face.

Hodgkinson was charged with multiple counts of domestic battery and aggravated discharge of a firearm, but after the victims failed to appear in court the charges were dismissed.
Ms Moreland told the Daily Beast that she missed court because of a mix-up on the dates.
"I tried to tell the court that this guy's crazy," she said. "That this is a big deal, but they didn't listen to me."
Hodgkinson's more recent criminal record in St Clair County, Illinois, shows many traffic violations, and a call made to police in March 2017 - potentially just days before he left for Virginia - complaining that Hodgkinson shot 50 rounds in a wooded area too close to residential homes.
The police report says Hodgkinson had a valid licence for the hunting rifle and was not doing anything illegal.

An acquaintance of Hodgkinson confirmed that he had campaigned for Mr Sanders during the election.
Mr Sanders, a Vermont senator, said he was "sickened by this despicable act" and condemned Hodgkinson's actions.
A Facebook account that appeared to belong to Hodgkinson was filled with anti-Republican and anti-Trump posts, as well as expressions of support for former Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders (the page has since been removed).
On social media, Hodgkinson railed against Donald Trump, writing on Facebook, "you are Truly the Biggest A** Hole We Have Ever Had in the Oval Office" and calling Trump a "traitor".
He also belonged to many Facebook groups with names like "Terminate the Republican Party" and "Donald Trump is not my President".
Local media unearthed a 2012 photo of Hodgkinson protesting outside a downtown Belleville post office holding a sign that read, "Tax the Rich".
The Belleville-News Democrat also compiled his letters to the editor in 2012, when he railed against conservative tax policies and praised President Barack Obama.
"God bless the 99 percent," he concluded one letter.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

That's pretty much what I was expecting. I'm just ashamed of some of the people on the left that are all but celebrating this shooting.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

All of that information is meaningless to the right as they'll still solely blame liberal ideology for his criminal actions. He has a history of violence and an inadequate justice system is partially at fault for this shooting. All of that violence and he was still not locked up? I understand the victims not showing up, possibly due to fear of retaliation, but this is still disconcerting.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Just who is this Scalise guy anyway? I'd never even heard of him before.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Zaune wrote:Just who is this Scalise guy anyway? I'd never even heard of him before.
House Majority Whip. Basically he's the one who tries to gin up votes from his party in the House, something like that. It's a decent position but not as far up the pecking order as, for example, Speaker or House Minority Leader.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Zaune wrote:Just who is this Scalise guy anyway? I'd never even heard of him before.
Most people haven't.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

So... the perpetrator lived in a van down by the river? Like Chris Farley's SNL character Matt Foley?

I am so going to hell for laughing at that, but is there any meme that screams "LOSER!" louder?

On a more serious note - it's why tossing people on an economic trash heap is dangerous, because not all of them choose to become "motivational speakers". Hodgkinson was an entrepreneur and owed his own business, he was (presumably) the sort of self-made, self-employed man conservatives/Republicans hold up as an ideal, yet he lost his business, and at 66 in this economy was highly unlikely to find another job. And apparently wasn't Republican. Have to wonder if job loss was a factor here, one of many.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

[quote="Ralin"That's because you're a privileged little fuck who's insulated from the consequences of all this and regards the whole thing as a pretext to grandstand online about Baby's First Politics. 'Street violence' in America has already begun. When the police shoot an unarmed black guy in the back on camera for selling DVDs or some shit heads lynch someone for being Muslim or trans or someone they think looks Muslim or trans or any of a dozen other demographics that the people whose rights you're so determined to defend want to murder? That’s fucking street violence.[/quote]

I see you're just carying your ad hominems across from the previous thread. Predictable. You can't defend your arguments on the merits, so you do so by trying to attack my character.

Yes, there is a certain level of street violence in America. It does not logically follow that we should do everything in our power to create more of it.

Your argument amounts to: "We're sliding down a slippery slope, so why not just jump off a cliff?"
Actually, I don’t think you really see this little Lord Fauntleroy routine of yours as improving things either. I think you just want a pretext to mouth off and play leftist without ever having to back it up with any sort of action.
I spent half the spring volunteering for the BC Green Party, and am an active member and volunteer for Democrats Abroad.

Of course, I know none of that matters, because violent extremists don't think any action counts unless it involves violence.
People who sort of maybe could go either way between voting for fascists and white supremacism and not depending on whether they’re sufficiently catered to and not alienated by scary radical leftists fighting back against literal neo-Nazis aren’t centrists. They’re less committed racists.
Straw man.

I was not referring to people who may or may not vote Nazi. I was referring to the many tens of millions of Americans who despise fascist and white supremacist politics but don't feel that that justifies assaulting or murdering people. They do exist, you know, however hard it may be for you to understand that anyone could disagree with you.

Of course, it is typical of a violent extremist to brand anyone who doesn't agree with them an extremist for the other side. Fanatics tend to see the world in black and white that way.
And this sums it up perfectly. People (not me, never me) are being murdered in the streets.
And your response to that is "Let's have more murder".
But I’ll never fail to wave a stern finger at people who fight back against it because then it wouldn’t be clear in retrospect that I totally didn’t start it.
I see that the importance of public sympathy, in either politics or war, completely escapes you.

But you don't want to make things better. Just hurt the people you don't like.
So you regard someone as not a real Leftist if they're not willing to murder the opposition?

Ah, but of course, as a True Believer, you are entitled to decree who is or is not a real Leftist. Just like Daesh considers themselves entitled to decree who is or is not a real Muslim.
Not responsible for what the voices in your head are saying. Also what are you, twelve?
Its pretty obvious from the context of your post in this thread that you are condoning and defending this shooting. That you dance around explicitly saying it (presumably to avoid legal trouble) does not change that, nor make you any less of a repulsive and morally bankrupt human being.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Why on Earth would a leftist want to escalate the violence when the right has more guns and far more people in the military? We won't win that fight.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Why on Earth would a leftist want to escalate the violence when the right has more guns and far more people in the military? We won't win that fight.
It gets shit done? Just look at the Attica riots. The main complaints prisoners had were dealt with.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Ralin wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:See, you and I disagree that escalating street violence is "working to improve things".
That's because you're a privileged little fuck who's insulated from the consequences of all this and regards the whole thing as a pretext to grandstand online about Baby's First Politics. 'Street violence' in America has already begun. When the police shoot an unarmed black guy in the back on camera for selling DVDs or some shit heads lynch someone for being Muslim or trans or someone they think looks Muslim or trans or any of a dozen other demographics that the people whose rights you're so determined to defend want to murder? That’s fucking street violence.
Will abiding by the law win over the die-hard Alt. Right radicals? No. I don't expect it will. But it will matter to people in the Centre, and to people on the Left who do not feel we have reached the point of violence being justified. Those are people we do not want to alienate.
And if, God forbid, we ever do find ourselves in a state of wide-spread violence, then I want it to be damn certain that we didn't fire the first shot.
And this sums it up perfectly. People (not me, never me) are being murdered in the streets. But I’ll never fail to wave a stern finger at people who fight back against it because then it wouldn’t be clear in retrospect that I totally didn’t start it.

It's not cool to mock mental illness, dude. :P
Anyway, you're pretty much on point. The problem is that simple picketing is described as rioting by the gloopy brain brigade. And the media no longer reports on massive public protests, rather they show up after the violence and take the cops word for it.
So if you're going to be called rioters anyway, why not riot?

*Not talking to TRR
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The Vortex Empire wrote:Why on Earth would a leftist want to escalate the violence when the right has more guns and far more people in the military? We won't win that fight.
My argument is not "we won't win" (their are far too many variables to predict that either way) but rather "A lot of innocent people will be brutalized and killed, and a lot of peoples' rights sacrificed, regardless of the outcome." On a scale potentially much, much greater than what is happening now.

Or, to reference an old movie who's name I can't recall right now, "The only winning move is not to play."

Moreover, history has shown time and again that the greatest to a political movement or organization is often not an external enemy, but its own internal extremists who wish to highjack the cause for their own ends.

It was not Democrats that destroyed the Republican Party, turning the Party of Lincoln into the Party of Trump. It was Republican hardliners and Tea Partiers, and those who pander to them.

And who are the most frequent victims of Daesh and similar groups? Other Muslims.

Hell, you could make a case that one of the reasons Trump is President is the no-compromise progressives who would rather the world burn than cast a vote for Hillary Clinton (the shooter in this case appears to be one of them- he was reportedly a Bernie supporter who hated Clinton and went Jill Stein).

If the extremists had their way, one half of America would effectively declare war on the other, which would utterly destroy any hope of democratic government for the foreseable future, and potentially even escalate to a full-scale civil war. That alone is enough to damn them. But they would also destroy the Left as anything other than a violent extremist movement.

Consider that Ralin has flat-out said that I'm not a real Leftist because I do not support assaulting/murdering Right-wingers. What happens to the Left if we reject the support of anyone who is deemed not sufficiently radical in their views? Their are a great many people who support Left-wing policies who will not support Left-wing terrorism. What happens if we become a party where only one point of view, the most extreme and violent one, is considered acceptable? Where activists and politicians feel constant pressure to prove their credentials by one-upping the rhetoric?

Just look at the Republicans. Then multiply it.

And the extremists won't stop at saying that we should assault and kill the other side. They never do. Next it'll be the Centrists and "fake leftists" like me (ie anyone who disagrees with them) who should be targeted, for being "collaborators". Then maybe it'll be Christians, because a lot of Christians are socially conservative, so why not paint them all with the same brush? Maybe throw in the Muslims and Jews too.

Violent extremists start out with different motivations, different ideologies, but they tend to end up in the same place: driven by hate, pursuing the destruction of anything and anyone that does not fit their twisted ideal. And if they ever succeeded, if they ever purged the world of all the "other", then they would simply manufacture a new enemy. They would turn on each other and eat their own, because their entire existence is defined by a simple equation:

Us vs Them.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Soontir C'boath wrote:snip trolling
Not really much more to say here.