Quick update on the refugee crisis

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Quick update on the refugee crisis

Post by Thanas »

Politico
EU countries refusing to take refugees from Germany: report

European countries failed to take back from Germany tens of thousands of refugees who have to claim asylum in the country where they first entered the EU, government figures requested by the far-left Die Linke party show.

Under the Dublin Regulation, migrants must claim asylum in the first EU country they enter. If they apply for asylum in another country, they can be returned to their first port of call.

From the beginning of 2016 until March this year, Germany has asked countries in the bloc to take back 72,321 migrants, but only 5,321 of them were accepted, BILD reported Monday.

In May, some 14,973 asylum seekers were registered in Germany, up from 11,952 in April. Most of them came from Syria, Iraq and Eritrea, according to figures from the interior ministry.

In the first five months of 2017, a total of 77,148 asylum seekers were registered in Germany.

As expected.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Quick update on the refugee crisis

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yeah, the response from... well, most of the world, really, has been absolutely shameful. If there is any justice, these people will be remembered in the same manner as those who turned back boatloads of Jews to Nazi Germany in the '30s.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:Politico
EU countries refusing to take refugees from Germany: report

European countries failed to take back from Germany tens of thousands of refugees who have to claim asylum in the country where they first entered the EU, government figures requested by the far-left Die Linke party show.

Under the Dublin Regulation, migrants must claim asylum in the first EU country they enter. If they apply for asylum in another country, they can be returned to their first port of call.

From the beginning of 2016 until March this year, Germany has asked countries in the bloc to take back 72,321 migrants, but only 5,321 of them were accepted, BILD reported Monday.

In May, some 14,973 asylum seekers were registered in Germany, up from 11,952 in April. Most of them came from Syria, Iraq and Eritrea, according to figures from the interior ministry.

In the first five months of 2017, a total of 77,148 asylum seekers were registered in Germany.

As expected.
At least they let them in in the first place. As an American I can't exactly wag my finger.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

...and the European commission has now instituted legal proceedings against the worst offenders.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... e-refugees
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Good.

People living in relatively prosperous first world countries, who refuse to take in more than a tiny number of refugees or aid their allies in doing so, are contemptible (and yes, I'm including the assholes in the US government in that).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Was it not Merkl who offered on TV to take them all, prompting a larger movement then would otherwise have occured?

Were not the vast majority of these refugees registering in the first country they entered by virtue of geography- Greece or Hungry?
Are these countries the ones best equipped to take them? Really?

I cannot defend the UK's record on this. I condemn it. but this move by germany smacks of opprtunism in the run up to the election.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

madd0ct0r wrote:Was it not Merkl who offered on TV to take them all, prompting a larger movement then would otherwise have occured?
No, she never did such a thing.
------------
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

A lot of Hun Hating these days. Frankly, even assuming Germany did offer to take them (which sounds like bullshit), how does that make it suddenly not the responsibilities of countries already pledged to take them?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

madd0ct0r wrote:

Were not the vast majority of these refugees registering in the first country they entered by virtue of geography- Greece or Hungry?
Are these countries the ones best equipped to take them? Really?
Geography is geography, life isn't fair. If they can't handle them with their resources, they should get a loan to buy the resources.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Thanas wrote:
madd0ct0r wrote:Was it not Merkl who offered on TV to take them all, prompting a larger movement then would otherwise have occured?
No, she never did such a thing.
Memory is hazy and I'm on phone but I'm sure something like that happened: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08 ... n-eur/amp/

I remember debating it here.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

She said that they would no longer enforce Dublin procedures for those already in Central Europe. It was supposed to be a one-time thing to prevent a collapse of hungary and of the border system.

At no time did she say "everybody is welcome".

And this is not about those people, but those who were supposed to be redistributed according to a common EU plan.
------------
------------
My LPs
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Thanas wrote:She said that they would no longer enforce Dublin procedures for those already in Central Europe. It was supposed to be a one-time thing to prevent a collapse of hungary and of the border system.

At no time did she say "everybody is welcome".

And this is not about those people, but those who were supposed to be redistributed according to a common EU plan.
Ahh. I missed that latter bit. Retracted.