Batman actor Adam West dies aged 88

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Batman actor Adam West dies aged 88

Post by ANGELUS »

Source:
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... -leukaemia
Adam West, the actor best known for playing Batman in the 1960s television series, has died aged 88 of leukaemia. He is remembered by fans for his kooky, exaggerated portrayal of the superhero in the ABC show, which ran for three seasons from 1966 to 1968.

West once said that he played Batman “for laughs, but in order to do [that], one had to never think it was funny. You just had to pull on that cowl and believe that no one would recognise you.”

In a statement, his family said: “Our dad always saw himself as the Bright Knight and aspired to make a positive impact on his fans’ lives. He was and always will be our hero.”

Tributes have poured in from the media world. David Walliams tweeted: “Thank you AdamWest for being the funniest superhero of all time as Batman.”

Many of those expressing their sadness shared the fact that West’s portrayal of the Caped Crusader had been their childhood hero. Author Neil Gaiman tweeted: “Rest in peace Adam West. We met once in 1987 and I was too embarrassed and too foolishly ‘cool’ to tell you what you meant to my childhood.”

Shaun of the Dead director Edgar Wright tweeted: “Farewell Adam West. You were MY Batman. Such a super funny, cool, charismatic actor. Loved the show as a kid, still love the show now. POW!”

John Barrowman wrote on Facebook: “Adam West my after-school hours were filled with excitement watching you battle fantastic villains. You were a delight to meet on the convention circuit.”

Mark Hamill, who played the Joker in an animated series of Batman and worked with West on a short called Batman: New Times, also shared his condolences. He tweeted: “AdamWest was such a wonderful actor & so kind, I’m so lucky to have worked w/ him & tell him how much he meant to me & millions of fans.”

The actor Matthew Modine tweeted:

Matthew Modine
(@MatthewModine)
I shared a flight #adamwest when I began my career. So kind. Sharing insights about the business of show. So generous & loving was he. RIP pic.twitter.com/7UwW6uAG4R

Batman initially proved a hit with US viewers, but its popularity waned and it was axed after the third season. Reruns of the show continue to this day, although it took until 2014 to make it on to DVD.

The Guardian’s Graeme Virtue wrote: “The licensing tangle between 20th Century Fox, which made and owns the actual episodes, and DC Entertainment, the renamed comics company that owns the characters, was hampered by contracts drawn up before home entertainment options were even being considered.”

West struggled to find steady work after the demise of Batman, complaining later that “the people who were hiring … were dinosaurs” who “thought Batman was a big accident”. it was not until he was cast as the voice of Mayor West on the animated series Family Guy that he found another regular gig.
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Batman actor Adam West dies aged 88

Post by The Romulan Republic »

May he rest in peace. :(
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

It's a sad day here in Quahog. Rest in peace Mayor West.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I loved the Batman series as a kid, no matter how cheesy it was. Rest in peace.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Holy Obituary, Batman.

Farewell caped crusader.

Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Wow. This is....the end of an era. I only saw a few episodes of the old show. It was cheesy but west was a likable chap
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

West struggled to find steady work after the demise of Batman, complaining later that “the people who were hiring … were dinosaurs” who “thought Batman was a big accident”. it was not until he was cast as the voice of Mayor West on the animated series Family Guy that he found another regular gig.
This is rather depressing. I can only imagine making his way in the convention circuit was how he kept up with things.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Oh, worse than that - before he found the "convention scene" he even had a brief stint as a human cannonball.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

It's funny to me that his best work was on Family Guy.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

They turn on the Bat signal to commemorate his life.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

One of his last roles was a guest star on Powerless. It was cancelled before the episode aired, so they've released it on youtube. It's... interesting.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Flagg wrote:It's funny to me that his best work was on Family Guy.
It was how I found out about him, I hope Family Guy does a tribute for him. He also appeared as himself on an ep of Big Bang Theory.

Link. 8)