Several dead in ongoing London incidents

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Several dead in ongoing London incidents

Post by Dartzap »

Beeb
Armed police and ambulances were called to reports of a white van hitting several people on London Bridge 22:08 BST on Saturday.
The area, including London Bridge station, was closed. Eyewitness reports said the van mounted the pavement of the bridge.
Police have said there has been "more than one" person killed on London Bridge.

British Transport Police confirmed at 23:15 that there were "a number" of casualties and said there was an "incident that possibly involved a van and a knife".
London Ambulance Service said "multiple resources" were sent to the scene.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed a second armed response to nearby Borough Market where there were reports of stabbings. Police said shots have been fired.
A third police unit has been sent to the Vauxhall area.
Live feed

I'm going to bed, but I shan't be sleeping well.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Several dead in ongoing London incidents

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Sleep with scorn and not fear.

London police just said the third incident in Vauxhall was an unrelated stabbing, and that the first two incidents are terrorism. They have not said but the stream of eyewitness accounts tend to suggest that they are presently searching around London Borough Market door to door for one or more terrorists.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Reaver225
Redshirt

Post by Reaver225 »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Sleep with scorn and not fear.
Easier said than done when you can still hear the sirens.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Stay safe my friend's.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Another one in England? God.

I can't help but wonder if the timing, this close to an election, is deliberate- if they're hoping to somehow effect the results.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Ugh... we walked over London Bridge just a week ago :(
6 dead and 48 wounded as of the latest news
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Are we supposed to be intimidated by this amateur-hour crap? Seriously, a multiple-fatality RTC and a bunch of stabbings are business as usual for Saturday night in most of the less salubrious bits of this country.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

At least the fuckers who did this got what they deserved.

What's immediately obvious is that whoever decided to reduce the threat level from 'critical' to 'severe' is looking monumentally stupid.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Looking stupid, sure. What's actually stupid is the threat-level system itself, though.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Zaune wrote:Are we supposed to be intimidated by this amateur-hour crap? Seriously, a multiple-fatality RTC and a bunch of stabbings are business as usual for Saturday night in most of the less salubrious bits of this country.
If you follow the news coverage you should be afraid, very afraid. You could die at any time! An attack could happen anywhere! Really I think our news agencies do half the terrorists work for them with their wall to wall coverage of any type of attack that happens in the west regardless of how poorly executed it is or the casualty count. Just leads to ridiculous risk assessments and people being more afraid of terrorism than what will actually kill them.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:At least the fuckers who did this got what they deserved.

What's immediately obvious is that whoever decided to reduce the threat level from 'critical' to 'severe' is looking monumentally stupid.
yes and no. The only practical difference those threat levels really make is police ect... get forced to work more overtime. That's not sustainable for any real length of time before quality gets affected, and not just for counter terror efforts, it will affect everything they do, which can and will lead to more deaths and disruption and crime in other ways. Avoiding such useless burn is part of not letting such useless morons win is not to transform the whole daily life to counter it. Because yeah, times do exist when that's the only option, like the Blitz, but hell even in the Blitz it was a problem to convince people not to go outside to watch the air raids happen in London before the Nazis switched to night tactics. You can't react out of proportion to the true threat, the whole theory of terrorism is dependent on that happening. Discouraging them is the only way to win.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:At least the fuckers who did this got what they deserved.

"Critical" means that a terrorist attack is potentially imminent. The reason it was raised was that that they uncovered a sophisticated terrorist cell from the Islamist Manchester bombings and suspected that they might try again before they got fully rooted out. The level was lowered after it became clear this wasn't going to happen. This attack looks to be completely unrelated to the group from Manchester, the attacks require almost not sophistication at all, therefore the "critical" terrorism level shouldn't really cover them, an attack being "highly likely" would be an adequate level to assign it.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

jwl wrote:

"Critical" means that a terrorist attack is potentially imminent. The reason it was raised was that that they uncovered a sophisticated terrorist cell from the Islamist Manchester bombings and suspected that they might try again before they got fully rooted out. The level was lowered after it became clear this wasn't going to happen. This attack looks to be completely unrelated to the group from Manchester, the attacks require almost not sophistication at all, therefore the "critical" terrorism level shouldn't really cover them, an attack being "highly likely" would be an adequate level to assign it.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

There's also the cynical interpretation that leaving it on 'Critical' wasn't doing as much to help the Tories poll better as they were hoping it would.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Zaune wrote:There's also the cynical interpretation that leaving it on 'Critical' wasn't doing as much to help the Tories poll better as they were hoping it would.
And the fact that it was two unrelated plots wouldn't mean jack shit to the knee-jerk reactionaries. While technically it was the right call, it still sticks in the throat.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Personally, I'd rather they'd been taken alive on principle, and to a) gather any intelligence they might have had, and b) deny them their "martyrdom".

But better dead than a continued threat, I suppose. I'm certainly not faulting the police here.
Raj Ahten wrote:
Zaune wrote:Are we supposed to be intimidated by this amateur-hour crap? Seriously, a multiple-fatality RTC and a bunch of stabbings are business as usual for Saturday night in most of the less salubrious bits of this country.
If you follow the news coverage you should be afraid, very afraid. You could die at any time! An attack could happen anywhere! Really I think our news agencies do half the terrorists work for them with their wall to wall coverage of any type of attack that happens in the west regardless of how poorly executed it is or the casualty count. Just leads to ridiculous risk assessments and people being more afraid of terrorism than what will actually kill them.
Of course terrorism more easily scares people, precisely because its outside the norm, and its more dramatic.

But yes, statistically, the odds that you or anyone close to you will die or be injured in a terrorist attack are miniscule. Not non-existent, but miniscule. I do not mean to diminish the horror of these attacks, particularly for those directly affected by them, but panicking ultimately plays into the terrorists' agenda. They want to intimidate and destabilize, and they want to escalate the conflict. And politicians and "journalists" who play into that for the sake of advancing their own bigoted and authoritarian agendas (or simply to make money off of peoples' fear and anger) are beneath contempt.

Realistically, you're more likely to die driving your car to work every day than from a terrorist attack. But nobody calls for banning cars and putting drivers on watch lists or travel bans.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Zaune wrote:There's also the cynical interpretation that leaving it on 'Critical' wasn't doing as much to help the Tories poll better as they were hoping it would.
Doing something like that would break purdah and would therefore be illegal. Someone could get into a lot of trouble if they were caught doing that.