'We're getting out' - Donald Trump confirms US exit from landmark global climate change deal

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

'We're getting out' - Donald Trump confirms US exit from landmark global climate change deal

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Donald Trump has confirmed the US will abandon the landmark 'Paris Accord' global climate change deal in the face of international condemnation.

The US president, who had pledged to quit the deal during last year's election campaign, said he will be seeking a better deal for US workers.

"I was elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris," he said.

Mr Trump has previously described climate change as a hoax by the Chinese to damage US manufacturing.

His predecessor Barack Obama, who signed up to the deal alongside 194 other countries in 2015, condemned the decision.

Mr Obama bemoaned the "absence of American leadership" that had seen the US join "a small handful of nations that reject the future".

Former secretary of state John Kerry said the "big mistake" was a "self-destructive step that puts our nation last".
Link.

Trump, for the record we only started laughing at the USA when they elected you.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: 'We're getting out' - Donald Trump confirms US exit from landmark global climate change deal

Post by Thanas »

Wow. Really.

I'm honestly lost for words right now.

This is such bullshit.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: 'We're getting out' - Donald Trump confirms US exit from landmark global climate change deal

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

This wasn't really a surprise. Trump made withdrawing from Paris one of the planks of his campaign. He seems to genuinely believe that, to put America first, means returning the country to the 19th century and ceding what little credibility and leadership the country still possesses on the global stage.

On one hand, it's meaningless ... the US can't fully withdraw until 2020, and market forces are driving the US's emissions down anyway. On the other hand, the US is probably the world's biggest polluter (when you factor in US manufacturing off-shored to other countries. It's number two otherwise,) so having the US depart just means more work for everybody else, and less money to help the developing nations with tackling their climate targets.

However, the Paris deal would be better off without the United States' engagement. After all, the odds of a skeptical US Congress doing anything beyond the barest minimums are approximately zero, and the odds of the US ultimately harming it from within are considerable. Without the US in the way, the signatories of the Paris agreement are now free to push more stringent targets and mechanisms of enforcement that would've been impossible to achieve while kow-towing to the US.

And, of course, the rest of the world can impose punitive economic penalties on the US for withdrawing, and it'll be fine since the US has completely ceded any sense of global leadership or responsibility. And if, in four years, President Warren or Zombie Sanders wants to re-engage in the accords, they would be required to pony up more than the limp-wristed, milquetoast, commitments the US made to combatting climate change under Obama.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Ya... this doesn't matter much. Even if the USA stayed the results of this agreement are going to be more symbolic than anything else.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:I'm honestly lost for words right now.
Really? Why? Did you really think Donnie Dingleberry was going to go along with it when it will likely cost him and his billionaire circlejerk society money as well as gain him brownie points from the anti-science chucklefucks that voted for him?
This is such bullshit.
It sure is. I hope Mara Largo (or whatever the shitty golf resort he spends weekends at playing golf and fucking prostitutes that look like his daughter is called) is underwater in 20 years. I think they should name the body of water that will form from seawater filling the Everglades and Lake Okeechobee with strips of barrier islands where Miami to Melbourne in the East and Naples to Tampa in the West were "Trump Bay".

And it's too fucking bad that there isn't an "Anti-Nobel Prize" for being such an irredeemable cunt.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Flagg wrote:
Really? Why? Did you really think Donnie Dingleberry was going to go along with it when it will likely cost him and his billionaire circlejerk society money as well as gain him brownie points from the anti-science chucklefucks that voted for him?
Trump's backed down on a few things, like his anti-Chinese stuff and moving the US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. So I could see it being somewhat shocking that this would occur.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

No surprise given Trump's environmental team. The US under Trump continues its race to alienate as much of the international community as possible and cede leadership to China as fast as possible.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Tribble wrote:Ya... this doesn't matter much. Even if the USA stayed the results of this agreement are going to be more symbolic than anything else.
Why do you think its symbolic?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Gandalf wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Trump's backed down on a few things, like his anti-Chinese stuff and moving the US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. So I could see it being somewhat shocking that this would occur.
Yeah, but given his almost certain business dealings requiring him to comply with environmental agencies' demands, the GOP being a bunch of climate change denying fucknuggets, and it being a campaign promise, I'd have been shocked if he hadn't done this. In fact I'm kind of surprised he didn't write it on the wall in his own feces.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Plenty of time for a u-turn yet. The actual process will take several years, so who knows what could transpire in that time.

But if all goes according to whatever plan Trump's smashed together inside that necrotic pus-ridden excuse of a brain of his, then I am fucking disgusted with this - inasmuch as I can be after the last six months of constant, never ending, soiled-underwear-on-head insanity. Gotta hand it to the cunt, he is a true master at finding new ways to convince me that the human race will die screaming.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Iroscato wrote:Plenty of time for a u-turn yet. The actual process will take several years, so who knows what could transpire in that time.

But if all goes according to whatever plan Trump's smashed together inside that necrotic pus-ridden excuse of a brain of his, then I am fucking disgusted with this - inasmuch as I can be after the last six months of constant, never ending, soiled-underwear-on-head insanity. Gotta hand it to the cunt, he is a true master at finding new ways to convince me that the human race will die screaming.
The remarkable thing about Trump, to me, is not that he is the very worst person in any particular way. There have been more depraved men, more vicious men, stupider men. It is the shear comprehensiveness of the number of ways he finds to be absolutely abhorrent. I sometimes feel as though he has gone down a fucking check list of all the ways in which a human being can be absolutely disgusting.

This, is how he earned the title, as John Oliver put it, of "...one of the ugliest souls on the planet."
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Iroscato wrote:Plenty of time for a u-turn yet. The actual process will take several years, so who knows what could transpire in that time.
A Presidential election, for one thing, though unfortunately not the lame duck period if the withdrawal is done as quickly as possible. The earliest date the U.S. can withdraw from the agreement is the day after our next Presidential election if what I've read is accurate.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Iroscato wrote: Gotta hand it to the cunt, he is a true master at finding new ways to convince me that the human race SHOULD die screaming.
Fixed. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Gandalf wrote: Trump's backed down on a few things, like his anti-Chinese stuff and moving the US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. So I could see it being somewhat shocking that this would occur.
The only 2 things I got from the campaign that Trump might believe / willing to enact because his supporters want it are a) anti climate change and b ) anti TTP. The reason for these are that he was pretty consistent in that rhetoric. Take his anti Chinese stuff for example. He would say I would break long standing US policy, but I might not if China gives us a,b,c,d. To me that means he doesn't really believe strongly enough in regards to the anti China stuff. I don't recall him saying the equivalent for his anti climate change or his anti TTP stuff.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Rogue 9 wrote:
A Presidential election, for one thing, though unfortunately not the lame duck period if the withdrawal is done as quickly as possible. The earliest date the U.S. can withdraw from the agreement is the day after our next Presidential election if what I've read is accurate.
Lovely. So a hypothetical recently-defeated Donald can withdraw us as a final fuck you to the world on his way out the door?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

So... basically the US will isolate themselves even further, will waste money by subsidizing dead end technologies, ignoring the costs that global warming brings, ignoring the job that won't be created in green energy,...

It's times likes these that even fucking president Camacho would seem a smarter and more rational alternative.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I like Flagg's suggestion that we take the predictable new body of water that results from global warming and name it "Trump Bay." I'm not sure I support it, but I like it.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
trekky0623
Redshirt

Post by trekky0623 »

I'm not a survivalist or anything like that, but given that the world governments don't seem inclined to tackle climate change as the serious issue that it is, even with this non-binding agreement, how can I as an individual prepare for the effects of climate change?

I mean it feels hopeless right now.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

trekky0623 wrote:I'm not a survivalist or anything like that, but given that the world governments don't seem inclined to tackle climate change as the serious issue that it is, even with this non-binding agreement, how can I as an individual prepare for the effects of climate change?

I mean it feels hopeless right now.
Just chill. For one thing, any major changes in the climate are still going to take a few decades at the very least to happen. There are likely going to be plenty of individual events like bad hurricanes or severe tornado seasons or heat waves or whatever before then, of course, but the overall planetary climate takes a VERY long time (in human terms) to change.

And they -are- tackling it, even if this agreement is non-binding. The US is actually lagging behind most of the First World nations in this respect.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Flagg wrote:I'd have been shocked if he hadn't done this. In fact I'm kind of surprised he didn't write it on the wall in his own feces.
...and this is why I like you. ;)

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Flagg pretty much made the best from the Trumpwreck in this thread.

Yes, totally expected. In fact I expected him to do it while also flinging shit at every politician who doesn't agree with him.

After all, it's Trump we're talking about. Trump and Trumpland, formerly known as the United Something of Something.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Raw Shark wrote:
Flagg wrote:I'd have been shocked if he hadn't done this. In fact I'm kind of surprised he didn't write it on the wall in his own feces.
See, I half expected him not to do it because of the leaks eArlier in the week that he would. I figured he'd use the difference to prove leaks are fake news. But here I go ascribing any sort of strategy to his behavior.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Waiting for Shep to drop in and go "but India" in this thread
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Fortunately, Trump's posturing may amount to nothing, because a lot of people are responding to his announcement by going, "Fuck you, we're abiding by the accords, anyway."

Bucking Trump, These Cities, States and Companies Commit to Paris Accord
The New York TImes wrote:Representatives of American cities, states and companies are preparing to submit a plan to the United Nations pledging to meet the United States’ greenhouse gas emissions targets under the Paris climate accord, despite President Trump’s decision to withdraw from the agreement.

The unnamed group — which, so far, includes 30 mayors, three governors, more than 80 university presidents and more than 100 businesses — is negotiating with the United Nations to have its submission accepted alongside contributions to the Paris climate deal by other nations.

“We’re going to do everything America would have done if it had stayed committed,” Michael Bloomberg, the former New York City mayor who is coordinating the effort, said in an interview.

President Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement drew immediate reaction from big-city mayors, governors and Congress members.

By redoubling their climate efforts, he said, cities, states and corporations could achieve, or even surpass, the pledge of the administration of former President Barack Obama to reduce America’s planet-warming greenhouse gas emissions 26 percent by 2025, from their levels in 2005.

It was unclear how, exactly, that submission to the United Nations would take place. Christiana Figueres, a former top United Nations climate official, said there was currently no formal mechanism for entities that were not countries to be full parties to the Paris accord.

Ms. Figueres, who described the Trump administration’s decision to withdraw as a “vacuous political melodrama,” said the American government was required to continue reporting its emissions to the United Nations because a formal withdrawal would not take place for several years.

But Ms. Figueres, the executive secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change until last year, said the Bloomberg group’s submission could be included in future reports the United Nations compiled on the progress made by the signatories of the Paris deal.

There are 195 countries committed to reducing their greenhouse gas emissions as part of the 2015 agreement.

Still, producing what Mr. Bloomberg described as a “parallel” pledge would indicate that leadership in the fight against climate change in the United States had shifted from the federal government to lower levels of government, academia and industry.

Mr. Bloomberg, a United Nations envoy on climate, is a political independent who has been among the critics of Mr. Trump’s climate and energy policies.

Mayors of cities including Los Angeles, Atlanta and Salt Lake City have signed on — along with Pittsburgh, which Mr. Trump mentioned in his speech announcing the withdrawal — as have Hewlett-Packard, Mars and dozens of other companies.

Eighty-two presidents and chancellors of universities including Emory & Henry College, Brandeis and Wesleyan are also participating, the organizers said.

Mr. Trump’s plan to pull out of the Paris agreement was motivating more local and state governments, as well as businesses, to commit to the climate change fight, said Robert C. Orr, one of the architects of the 2015 Paris agreement as the United Nations secretary-general’s lead climate adviser.

On Thursday, Gov. Jay Inslee of Washington, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York and Gov. Jerry Brown of California, all Democrats, said they were beginning a separate alliance of states committed to upholding the Paris accord.

“The electric jolt of the last 48 hours is accelerating this process that was already underway,” said Mr. Orr, who is now dean of the School of Public Policy at the University of Maryland. “It’s not just the volume of actors that is increasing, it’s that they are starting to coordinate in a much more integral way.”

The United States is about halfway to its 2025 emissions reduction target, Mr. Orr said. Of the remaining reductions, the federal government — through regulations like gas mileage standards for vehicles — could affect about half.

But in a draft letter to António Guterres, the United Nations secretary-general, Mr. Bloomberg expressed confidence that “non-national actors” could achieve the 2025 goal alone.

“While the executive branch of the U.S. government speaks on behalf of our nation in matters of foreign affairs, it does not determine many aspects of whether and how the United States takes action on climate change,” he wrote.

“The bulk of the decisions which drive U.S. climate action in the aggregate are made by cities, states, businesses, and civil society,” he wrote. “Collectively, these actors remain committed to the Paris accord.”

Cities and states can reduce emissions in many ways, including negotiating contracts with local utilities to supply greater amounts of renewable energy, building rapid transit programs and other infrastructure projects like improved wastewater treatment. Similarly, corporations can take measures like buying renewable energy for their offices and factories, or making sure their supply chains are climate-friendly.

Governor Inslee said that states held significant sway over emissions. Washington, for example, has adopted a cap on carbon pollution, has invested in growing clean energy jobs and subsidizes electric vehicle purchases and charging stations.

“Our states will move forward, even if the president wants to go backward,” he said in a telephone interview.

America’s biggest corporations have been bracing for the United States to exit from the Paris climate accord, a move executives and analysts say would bring few tangible benefits to businesses — but plenty of backlash.

A customer at a Citi Bike station in Brooklyn in December. Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York and two other governors are starting a separate alliance of states committed to upholding the Paris accord. Credit Bryan Thomas for The New York Times

Multinational companies will still need to follow ever-stricter emissions laws that other countries are adopting, no matter the location of their headquarters. Automakers like Ford Motor and General Motors would still need to build cars that meet stringent fuel economy and emissions standards in the European Union, Japan and even China, not to mention California.

American companies also face the wrath of overseas consumers for abandoning what has been a popular global agreement — customers who could buy more Renaults instead of Chevrolets or Reeboks instead of Nikes.

“Pulling out of Paris would be the worst thing for brand America since Abu Ghraib,” said Nigel Purvis, a top environmental negotiator in the Clinton and George W. Bush administrations and the chief executive of Climate Advisers, a consulting firm.

“Mars stands by the Paris Climate Agreement,” said Grant Reid, the chief executive of Mars. The company, best known for its candies, remained committed, he said, to achieving “the carbon reduction targets the planet needs.”

It was unclear from Mr. Trump’s announcement what commitments the United States would honor in the Paris accord, which include contributions to the operating budget of the accord’s coordinating agency, the framework convention.

But Bloomberg Philanthropies, Mr. Bloomberg’s charitable organization, is offering to donate $14 million over the next two years to help fund the budget should it be needed, a spokeswoman said. That figure represents the United States’ share, she said.

Jackie Biskupski, the mayor of Salt Lake City and a Democrat, said her administration had recently brokered an agreement with the local utility to power the city with 100 percent renewable energy by 2032.

Global warming is having a significant impact in Utah, she said, especially on water availability and quality. “We feel very strongly that we have an obligation to make sure we keep moving in the right direction on this issue,” she said.

“We really have to make choices that reflect our long-term goals, that really address long-term issues of today,” she added.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

FireNexus wrote:
Raw Shark wrote:
See, I half expected him not to do it because of the leaks eArlier in the week that he would. I figured he'd use the difference to prove leaks are fake news. But here I go ascribing any sort of strategy to his behavior.
Donald Trump has only one strategy, and that is to personally "win." And, because he has all the social grasp of a third grader, for him to "win" means that he must make someone else "lose." And this is a thing that is near and dear to Trump's heart ... after all, the worst insult he levels against someone is to call them a "loser."

With that being said, it was about 100% certain he was going to leave the Paris agreement. He's internalized the GOP's all-consuming hatred of Barack Obama and everything he represented. If the Trump Presidency has an overarching policy goal, it's erasing Obama from history and making him "lose", so that Donald Trump can "win." The Paris agreement is a key part of Obama's legacy. Therefore, it had to go.

Worse, it became 110% certain that Trump would leave the Paris agreement, once foreign leaders started pressuring him to stay. If Donald Trump stayed in the agreement after being pressured by those elitist "libtards", it would make him a "loser" according to the black-and-white absolutism of his third-grade world view. Having them grovel before him, even though he already knows he's going to pull out, only made them out to be "losers" in Trump's world, and set them up to have him kick metaphorical sand in their faces; while he throws out his shoulder patting himself on the back for standing up to them and "winning."

So just remember, kids, when Donald Trump is thinking of doing something, ask yourself "What would a hungry bully in third grade do?"